Iron Man Mode in GW2

Iron Man Mode in GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crampz.9120

Crampz.9120

So basically it’s an idea that was implemented in other games that turned out to be very successful. The core idea is that it’s a single player mode. This is accomplished by restricting trade with other players and making it so that people have to go out and make everything themselves.

Now I can guess some of the criticism that will be aimed at implementing this idea into GW2. I get that GW2 is group oriented and that’s at it’s very core. That’s why I was thinking of this idea only being applied to trade (and not dungeons or raids and so on) so that group work is still encouraged.

The free to use accounts in GW2 (with BLTP restrictions) are a good example of implementing an iron man mode. Also I have tried this myself and it’s a blast. It’s more of a critical thinking exercise and allocating time to gather resources and put them to use wisely. The only down side is that you have to keep track of what’s your main account’s currency and what’s your iron man’s and that’s where an official game mode can help.

But i’m interested to hear others thoughts. Even if it doesn’t become an official game mode I challenge you to try it, it’s pretty fun.

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you’re using a separate free account why is it hard to keep track of what belongs to which?

If I’ve understood your rules correctly you shouldn’t be sending anything from your main account to your free account, and you can’t send anything from the free one back to your main one, so it should be completely separate.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Crampz.9120

fair point. Let me rephrase it then, a core game/HoT account with BLTP restrictions and mail restrictions, without having to drop $40 to buy another account.

Using a free account would serve the rules perfectly but restricts access to items like mastery and HoT content.

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

also add permadeath, and I’m in

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Or you could just, you know, do it your self. Same with perma death. If you character dies, delete them and roll another. Everything you are asking for you can impose on your self. Do you have no self control?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

The thing is, this is an MMO. MMOs aren’t very good if you’re alone. I’m not going to ironman mode an MMO by myself. I’d ironman a single player game by myself, sure. But for an MMO, I’d need some fellow ironmen.

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Crampz.9120

@BrotherBelial I do it myself, I do have self control. If anyone wants to try it I invite them to, if not carry on. idgf either way, you do you.

@Reikken Oh I completely agree, hence why I’m putting this out there. Parma-death is a touchy topic though. Just because it locks you out of PvP and WvW. Also if you’re doing a fractal and you die midway, although funny as hell, I don’t think “Sorry guys I died so I’m killing this guy off now byez.” would fly to well for either group.

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Actually, the way to Iron Man Mode Guild Wars 2 is to buy the Ironclad outfit, put it on an Engineer, dye it red and gold, then keep yourself nearly perpetually intoxicated while acting like Robert Downy Jr. in chat.

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Crampz.9120

^ lol

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

^ might as well end the thread here.

Iron Man Mode in GW2

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

This is almost how I play anyway. If such a game mode was introduced I’d be all over it probably.

(Not Sartharina’s thing, to be clear)

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?