Is Ascended gear better than Exotic gear for WvWvW?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Posted by: VonFox.2834

VonFox.2834

8% better it look’s like

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

The stats are better, so yes.

Assuming it has the combination of stats which you need for your character.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

it should be PVE locked imho. keep spvp and wvwvw tiered gear free.

mind you then there’d be no reason to get it seeing as there’s nothing to do with it.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Never.6014

Never.6014

The real Million Dollar Question is “Will they make another tier with better stats than Ascended?”

If no, then we have nothing to worry about.
If yes, then we have a problem.

Tell Anet’s boss what you think: http://tinyurl.com/arkgzku

Posted by: Cycron.5017

Cycron.5017

No.

Jestunhi.7429

No.

Why is having roughly 8% higher stats not better?

Posted by: Redamz.5038

Redamz.5038

The real Million Dollar Question is “Will they make another tier with better stats than Ascended?”

They have the wildcard of “Legendaries will be always as strong as the most powerful gear”, so yeah, in theory they can make unlimited tiers between ascended and legendary and keep scaling legends.

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

No.

It’s not 8% higher stats… it’s 8% (if that number is accurate) on just a couple pieces of gear compared to their exotic equivalent… so probably 1-2% overall, if that.

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

It will be alot more than 8% by the time they add in the rest off the ascended gear. Someone cleverer than I did the math by extrapolating the two pieces they already showed us in that threadnaught and it came to 36% I think. :-(

Posted by: coleman.2095

coleman.2095

I’m okay with this added tier if this is the only time they do it. I’m not okay if they keep adding tiers and increasing legendaries each time to the top tier.

What this is going to boil down to for me is that I’m excusing this ridiculousness for now. But as soon as they add another tier, I’m gone. Not that it matters to them, they have my money…

Posted by: Thirsty.2875

Thirsty.2875

it should be PVE locked imho. keep spvp and wvwvw tiered gear free.

mind you then there’d be no reason to get it seeing as there’s nothing to do with it.

WvW isn’t tiered gear free right now

Spill The Blood <- Join The sPvP Guild

Jestunhi.7429

I’m okay with this added tier if this is the only time they do it. I’m not okay if they keep adding tiers and increasing legendaries each time to the top tier.

What this is going to boil down to for me is that I’m excusing this ridiculousness for now. But as soon as they add another tier, I’m gone. Not that it matters to them, they have my money…

Why would they just do it once? What would it achieve?

Getting the gear grinders to start playing again for a short period while they get the new tier and then quit again?

That would solve nothing. They need to do it all the time or not at all. They need to decide if they want to aim the game at gear grinders or non grinders. Because it’s impossible to please both.

Posted by: coleman.2095

coleman.2095

Why would they just do it once? What would it achieve?

Getting the gear grinders to start playing again for a short period while they get the new tier and then quit again?

That would solve nothing. They need to do it all the time or not at all. They need to decide if they want to aim the game at gear grinders or non grinders. Because it’s impossible to please both.

The only reasonable answer to this is that it was planned before launch but did NOT make it into the game. There is evidence of this by the mined stats from Legendary weapons in beta being HIGHER than the Exotics.

As even more evidence, I’m quite sure the amount of development work it would take to release a new dungeon of this nature along with a new tier of items (if if it is just two pieces to start) is longer than 2-3 months.

As I said, this is fool me once, fool me twice type deal… I’m giving them a pass this once.

Posted by: Godorn.2931

Godorn.2931

“The real Million Dollar Question is “Will they make another tier with better stats than Ascended?”
If yes, then we have a problem”

Umm, Huston, we have a problem. There is a startling lack of extrapolation on these boards.

Hi yall, my name is Jethro and I boughted this game called GW2 and they promised me like the Gov from La. that there would be no shiney grind, and then umm they lied. But then they said they would not do it again and I belive em cause my sister heard from hey boyfreinds cousin who happpnes to be in prison that some guy said they their truly sorry.

They said all their woes would be behind em if we all toss in a bit more in the collection plate at church on Sunday, and while we were they id probably good idea if we all held hands and tossed em a prayer for baby Jesus.

Just say’n and did I mention that I’m Jethro and I like 4wheeling and moonshine.

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

i can answer that, of course they will ascended is just the start …. trust me.

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

Yes, it’s a superior tier.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

The real answers are :

If no, then we have a problem.
If yes, then we have a big problem.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Thus far, all we’ve seen of ascended is magic-find gear.
Is that what you wear for wvw? Cuz we should have a talk.

Posted by: BadHealer.3608

BadHealer.3608

It’s not 8% higher stats… it’s 8% (if that number is accurate) on just a couple pieces of gear compared to their exotic equivalent… so probably 1-2% overall, if that.

And you don’t see the possibility that they will release the whole armour set with around 8% stats overall like announced, because…

Jestunhi.7429

And you don’t see the possibility that they will release the whole armour set with around 8% stats overall like announced, because…

Of course they will.

Otherwise all the players they hope to gain with the ascended set will leave soon after they finish grinding for it.

Waffler.1257

Thus far, all we’ve seen of ascended is magic-find gear.
Is that what you wear for wvw? Cuz we should have a talk.

No, I don’t. Do you have evidence that magic-find gear is the only type of Ascended gear? If so, let’s see it.

Posted by: Deimos.9285

Deimos.9285

Quote from the news section

“Ascended and infusion rewards will be available in both PvE and WvW over time, and be made available through all sorts of content around the world including existing content. PvP will remain unaffected to ensure our intended PvP balance going forward. "

I am Death incarnate.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

8% better it look’s like

Yes but we do not yet know if the armor can be runed or not so that 8% right now doesn’t mean much.

if ascended armor can be runed: yes it makes a difference in WvW and everyone will pick ascended armor if you wanna win.

if ascended armor cannot be runed: everyone will notice sticking with exotics is far better albeit the 8% more stats, losing the runes would be a bigger disadvantage for almost all classes.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

At first glance, you will have to have the backpack and rings; they are way better than exotics. Plus they have dual purpose of benifiting PvE with that added extra slot.

And then you will need a legendary since they will become BiS: they will have more dps and more raw stats than everything else. Legendaries will also scale every time they up the bar every few months so no worries legendary owners; you will soon be the kings and queens of GW2 due to doing more dps! The peasants without them (like me) can go away.

Backpack is from the forge which I will assume will require alot of gold/mats to create.

The rings look like random drops so you will have to slog through that dungeon a billion times and pray RNG is nice to you. Maybe if they are nice, they will allow you to buy them with badges in Wv3 but if it’s like it is now…it will be 100x easier and faster just to PvE for it.

The legendary weapons….hum, farm 900+ g? That or whip out the credit card. Guessing the later is the easiest.

Rest the items…well we dunno for sure, but if from that ring screen shot…all that gear will be min 8% better than what we got thus it is a MUST have for Wv3.

Anyways, get farming or get left behind….

p.s. they will put in items with all the 3 stats you prefer and not just that MF ring: count on it.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

if infusion work out the fractal, ascended gears become mandatory for WvW too.

if infusion work only in the fractal, no harm on WvW, for the beginning…

and before say something read this!
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

fixit.7189

Don’t discount teh fact that Legendary weapons WILL have more dmg and stats than exotics so they are a must have if you want to be top geared. I spent all my money on three+ sets now chasing that dream (Which I reached btw) only to find out all that work and cash was like lighting money on fire; a total waste of time. I expected this a year or so from now but not this soon, 2.5 months later.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Dware.4259

Dware.4259

WvW is a HUGE zergfest that normally involves pounding on empty keep doors.

Who cares what gear your wearing? I roll WvW on my level 20ish alts..

Lets not pretend GW2 has some fantastic Group RvR action going on where gear actually matters.

Its zerg vs zerg 99.99999999999999999% of the time.

fixit.7189

It is actually fantastic group v group combat. But I would think people who HATE it would not understand how good it actually is. I am huge fan of large scale PvP and always will be. Even then you will still get small group encounters if you roll in smaller, specialized groups instead of being a sheep and following a zerg.

Also dude above me say funny stuff. Clear to me you don’t Wv3 much.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Talloc.6835

Talloc.6835

Lets not pretend GW2 has some fantastic Group RvR action going on where gear actually matters.

If you’re with the zerg 100% of the time then you’re not actually contributing much, sorry to break it to you.

The fact that you even say something like that means you have basically no understand of how WvW works.

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

basically this. Acended gear being required in WvWvW is laughable. Half the players in there aint even lvl 80 yet. If you need Acended gear to stomp a zoned up lvl 30 then you have bigger issues.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Ganzo.5079

It is actually fantastic group v group combat. But I would not think people who HATE it would actually understand. I am huge fan of large scale PvP and always will be. Even then you will still get small group encounters if you roll in smaller, specialized groups instead of being a sheep and following a zerg.

i love WvW too, and sometimes i have some 1v1 duel… but knowing that exotics its the max tier if you lose, you have only to complain to yourself.
With this new tier, this sense of autocomplain is going to vanish, because every time you lose, you know that your enemy has a gear better then yours. and this is bad, really bad.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
LOL

Dware.4259

I solo 100% of the time, 100%……100%

I played DAOC for 9 yrs, still play it,

But lets not pretend what happens in WvW..

Everyone joins a huge zerg and blindly follows around a blue icon barking out orders, i dont, because that is extremley boring to me.

I WISH WvW was group vs group…but its not dude, its just not.

fixit.7189

Show me proof that half is always below 80. When I fight, majority are true 80s.

Sub 80s also get scaled to 80 and in many cases will do MORE dmg than a blinged lvl 80.

Interestingly, it might actually be better to twink a lvl 40+ and not be 80 in Wv3; do better since you scale higher than a true 80. Like my level 2 who can do 6k+ crits, which is hilarious btw. Hmm, food for thought.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Zeke Minus.5720

Zeke Minus.5720

If you’re with the zerg 100% of the time then you’re not actually contributing much, sorry to break it to you.

The fact that you even say something like that means you have basically no understand of how WvW works.

I dunno…

On my server, there are several medium-sized groups of people doing many things (usually with commanders). Sure, small groups are quite awesome at doing supply caps and whatnot, but saying zergs are useless is quite an inexperienced thing to say.

Zergs can be absolutely terrifying when led by a great commander, especially if there’s more than one roaming around and hitting key points.

Posted by: Ingmar.7530

Ingmar.7530

Ugh. People, math. It isn’t hard.

Once they have ascended pieces for every slot, if they’re all 8% higher individually it will mean a full set of ascended is 8% higher stats.

And that’s without accounting for whatever the infusions themselves bring.

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

It will be alot more than 8% by the time they add in the rest off the ascended gear. Someone cleverer than I did the math by extrapolating the two pieces they already showed us in that threadnaught and it came to 36% I think. :-(

That’s not how percentages work. If each piece of ascended gear is 8% better than the equivalent piece of exotic gear, then a whole set of ascended gear will be 8% better than a whole set of exotics.

Now if the ascended ring is actually 36% better than a gemmed exotic ring, you would be correct.

And that’s without accounting for whatever the infusions themselves bring.

I think (hope) that infusions are going to all be Agony Resistance and Crab Shell Penetration styled stats, only good in PvE as a gear gate. If that’s not the case and infusions matter in PvP then oh god they done goofed hard.

(edited by Haette.2701)

Waffler.1257

Everyone joins a huge zerg and blindly follows around a blue icon barking out orders, i dont, because that is extremley boring to me.

Try Eternal Battleground Jumping Puzzle PvP, plenty of 1v1 and small group skirmishes go on in there. In my opinion, the most fun PvP in GW2 so far.

Ganzo.5079

really no, if each piece of gear is 8% better, your gain when you are all geared up its still 8% of the total. that is a lot in any case.

the real issue is the infusion primary effect… we dont know where it work! we know only where work the infusion side effect (the agony resistance)
this for me is the crucial point…

LOL

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

It’s 8% per stat, somebody did the numbers in another thread that it can amount up being 26% better.

That’s without us knowing if infusion affects stats too, which it could well do.

Posted by: nvmvoidrays.2158

nvmvoidrays.2158

No.

with the information we have now, infusions have no effect on stats and are only useful for the fractals, thus, making exotics better because you can use runes and sigils in exotics, whereas ascended armor only has infusions.

so, right now, exotics are still better for everything, but the fractals.

Dware.4259

Try Eternal Battleground Jumping Puzzle PvP, plenty of 1v1 and small group skirmishes go on in there. In my opinion, the most fun PvP in GW2 so far.

Thats a good idea, never messed around in there really, ill check it out

Posted by: Ingmar.7530

Ingmar.7530

Actually, with the information we have now, we don’t know if infusions have an effect on stats.

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

It’s 8% per stat, somebody did the numbers in another thread that it can amount up being 26% better.

That’s without us knowing if infusion affects stats too, which it could well do.

Bear in mind that the actual number will depend on the respective build as well. A flat 8% increase in stats does not directly mean a 8% increase in damage for example, since some stats work multiplicatively, and there is a baseline to consider.

For example, 1 point of power does more for your damage the higher your critchance and crit multiplier are. Likewise, Vitality does get more valuable with high Toughness (and vice versa, of course).

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

I am not convinced yet based on a picture I saw where it was comparing an ascended ring to an inferior non-ascended one and WITHOUT the upgrade.

If I put an exquisite ruby jewel, which I can’t do on ascended gear, in non-ascended gear, and compare it with an INFUSED ascended gear where it activates additional in-built stats already in it, the overall stats between the two are very similar, only a marginal increase, not as big from rare to exotic with the gear we have currently in GW2.

fixit.7189

It has exquisite jewel built into it dude, look again. Now add up the stats….it’s noticably better. Now times that by a whole set then tack on extra stats/dmg from legendaries. It’s not a small increase when combined. Already stated they will be putting more and different tiers to boot so t2 will have more stats probably.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

If the stats are hardwired into the items without being able to put runes in then its possible players may not be able to get a configuration they’re happy with and will stay with exotic.

The question I want answered is how gear from other dungeons will be affected? Will they remain exotic?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

The official notice told us not to worry that they would be adding a new tier every 3 months. They also told us legendaries will always maintain best in slot status. Reading into this, it tells us that they have no qualms about releasing further tiers.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

Actually, with the information we have now, we don’t know if infusions have an effect on stats.

they dont stats are built in thats it “The stats and functionality normally added to gear through upgrade components are actually built into Ascended items. Instead of upgrade slots, Ascended gear has Infusion slots, and rarer versions of the items also come with additional Agony Resistance built into them.”

fixit.7189

I am going to assume they really don’t care one bit about Wv3 (which was a major selling point for me btw) and will let it devolve into which side has the best gear on a whole. Just like that other game and all it’s clones. What eva….

Adapt, grind, or go away I guess.