Is Combat Mode bannable

Is Combat Mode bannable

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Raggi.1735

Raggi.1735

Hey guys,
Just wondering as I’ve been seeing an increasing amount of screenshots with the use of combat mode in them and been hearing from guildies that Anet has said its not bannable and its ok to be used. Would like to hear word on this.
Thanks

Is Combat Mode bannable

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

If you look up the wording in the TOS you will find all mods are against the rules, so i wouldnt risk it.

Although i agree it should be ok because the stock UI is just horrible. Either let us customize it or give us permission to use third party apps to fix your sloppy UI Anet please.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Rifter.6591

here is the line of the TOS which would make this againt the rules:

8.You may not modify any part of the Guild Wars 2 client or server software. Also, you may not modify any part of the official Guild Wars 2 websites, other than the official Guild Wars 2 Wiki in accordance with its terms and conditions.

Whole TOS is here

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

Is Combat Mode bannable

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

They said they would not ban for it.

As it does not modify any GW2 files, nor does it automate anything it is legit.

It would be like you putting a sticker on the middle of your screen for crosshairs and setting your mouse up to handle actions differently then getting banned.

Not gonna happen.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Rifter.6591

It would be like you putting a sticker on the middle of your screen for crosshairs and setting your mouse up to handle actions differently then getting banned.

Not gonna happen.

It would have to modify the UI files themselves or at the least redirect the client to the combat mode files, either way that would be modifying some gw2 files.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Namu.5712

Not gonna happen.

It would have to modify the UI files themselves or at the least redirect the client to the combat mode files, either way that would be modifying some gw2 files.

Actually it doesnt mod any files……. you don’t need to modify a games files to add a simple direct 3d crosshair to a screen…. perhaps you should research a bit.

Also this was covered a long time ago by Anet on this specific “addon” if thats what you want to call it:

not even a minute on google turns up much info and dev responses about the info…. please research.
This is a very interesting question, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

As you are aware, we cannot approve or review or “vet” any third-party program; that is a given. However, our position is somewhat different than the one expressed in the GM response, so I’ve already contacted the team to be sure that everyone is on the same page.

Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. TexMod is one example of a program that doesn’t really give anyone an advantage over someone else. I’ve heard about certain programs that help disabled players, and those seem just fine, too. And of course there are others. We can’t say “Sure, use this and that and that other thing” because that’s tantamount to “approval,” but we do recognize the distinction between advantage-giving programs and those that simply make it easier to play the game under specific circumstances.

Thanks for pointing out that response. We’ll get things clarified so that future responses are consistent with our policies.

I think it’s ok to share this. I just want to be very clear that:

(1) we don’t review or approve programs, and

(2) programs can sometimes contain components that a legitimate player doesn’t realize is a cheat element

In the end, it’s good to go VERY cautiously with the use of any third-party program, but we appreciate that there are definitely situations when a helpful, non-advantage-giving program is extremely beneficial to players.

(edited by Namu.5712)

Is Combat Mode bannable

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

Not gonna happen.

Actually it doesnt mod any files……. you don’t need to modify a games files to add a simple direct 3d crosshair to a screen…. perhaps you should research a bit.

Pretty much. It’s not really a UI change. On that note, there is one mod that actually does modify the UI (by hiding it) but it does so by intercepting the files before they’re processed by Direct X…or something.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Rifter.6591

Not gonna happen.

I will look into it, but untill Anet responds to this post officially i wouldnt try it. The level of moderation on these forums makes me think they are the throw the book at you lock you up and throw away the key type of comany. I wouldnt want to have to deal with them about a banning issue.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Rifter.6591

Not gonna happen.

Also this was covered a long time ago by Anet on this specific “addon” if thats what you want to call it:

not even a minute on google turns up much info and dev responses about the info…. please research.
This is a very interesting question, and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

As you are aware, we cannot approve or review or “vet” any third-party program; that is a given. However, our position is somewhat different than the one expressed in the GM response, so I’ve already contacted the team to be sure that everyone is on the same page.

Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. TexMod is one example of a program that doesn’t really give anyone an advantage over someone else. I’ve heard about certain programs that help disabled players, and those seem just fine, too. And of course there are others. We can’t say “Sure, use this and that and that other thing” because that’s tantamount to “approval,” but we do recognize the distinction between advantage-giving programs and those that simply make it easier to play the game under specific circumstances.

Thanks for pointing out that response. We’ll get things clarified so that future responses are consistent with our policies.

I think it’s ok to share this. I just want to be very clear that:

(1) we don’t review or approve programs, and

(2) programs can sometimes contain components that a legitimate player doesn’t realize is a cheat element

In the end, it’s good to go VERY cautiously with the use of any third-party program, but we appreciate that there are definitely situations when a helpful, non-advantage-giving program is extremely beneficial to players.

Considering how bad the stock UI is, and how many people compain about loosing the cursor in combat heavy situations i would think you could make a valid argument that anyone using combat mode DOES have an advantage over those that do not.

However from that reply it seems its ok but they dont come right out and say that either.

I wish they would give us a straight answer.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Namu.5712

Not gonna happen.

I will look into it, but untill Anet responds to this post officially i wouldnt try it. The level of moderation on these forums makes me think they are the throw the book at you lock you up and throw away the key type of comany. I wouldnt want to have to deal with them about a banning issue.

I edited my post above with a response…. you think a program as wide spread as combat mod didn’t already go through this lol…. old news…. many many months ago.

They cant officially approve it for many reasons as stated in their response…. but they also say they are not going to ban you for the use of programs that are not giving you an advantage. Basically if its not modifying the game directly, automating it, or giving you some other advantage that other players cant get unless using the program they are likely not going to ban it. Its also menchoned they are are aware of other programs that do other things that they dont ban for because they meet that specific criteria.

Trust me if they banned for it there would be hardly anyone play gw2 lol…. just about everyone I know uses it now days, and like said above your seeing it in more and more youtube videos and on streams.

Pretty common place now.

On that note you would have thought GW2 would have came with a setup like this already…. who makes a action combat game with traditional mmo targeting lol…..

(edited by Namu.5712)

Is Combat Mode bannable

Rifter.6591

Not gonna happen.

I edited my post above with a response…. you think a program as wide spread as combat mod didn’t already go through this lol…. old news…. many many months ago.

They cant officially approve it for many reasons as stated in their response…. but they also say they are not going to ban you for the use of programs that are not giving you an advantage. Basically if its not modifying the game directly, automating it, or giving you some other advantage that other players cant get unless using the program they are likely not going to ban it. Its also menchoned they are are aware of other programs that do other things that they dont ban for because they meet that specific criteria.

Trust me if they banned for it there would be hardly anyone play gw2 lol…. just about everyone I know uses it now days, and like said above your seeing it in more and more youtube videos and on streams.

Pretty common place now.

Like i said above i just want a strait answer, is combat mode allowed or not, yes or no.

As i said you could make a valid argument that it does give you an advantage just due to being able to change the cursor color/shape to one that you dont loose constantly in heavy combat, which would then make it against the rules as stated in that reply.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Posted by: ThorusDragone.4208

ThorusDragone.4208

I’ve been using it for more than a month now and I have not been banned.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Posted by: Recycle.5493

Recycle.5493

Here’s the Anet respond from Gaile Gray (Support Liaison)
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10a0qk/official_response_clarifying_the_stance_on_mods/

Combat Mode(Verson 1.1) does not give you an advantage over other players and does not automate your game play, more over, it is an overlay program that does not alter the games files in any way, so technically it is not bannable. Combat Mode Ver 2.0 however, alters the game’s UI files, making it a bannable mod.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Rifter.6591

Here’s the Anet respond from Gaile Gray (Support Liaison)
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10a0qk/official_response_clarifying_the_stance_on_mods/

Combat Mode(Verson 1.1) does not give you an advantage over other players and does not automate your game play, more over, it is an overlay program that does not alter the games files in any way, so technically it is not bannable. Combat Mode Ver 2.0 however, alters the game’s UI files, making it a bannable mod.

See this is exactly what i wanted, a solid answer. Which also means i know alot of people who will be banned soon because i know alot of people running 2.0.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Recycle.5493

See this is exactly what i wanted, a solid answer. Which also means i know alot of people who will be banned soon because i know alot of people running 2.0.

Fyi, the creator of Combat Mode has not released version 2.0 yet. The latest downloadable version is 1.1.

Here’s the link to the original reddit post:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1a3the/combat_mode_20_preview/

Is Combat Mode bannable

Rifter.6591

Fyi, the creator of Combat Mode has not released version 2.0 yet. The latest downloadable version is 1.1.

Here’s the link to the original reddit post:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1a3the/combat_mode_20_preview/

This is the one a few of my friends are using, CM 2 lite

http://guildwars2.mmmos.com/?page=view&id=7364

Is Combat Mode bannable

Recycle.5493

This is the one a few of my friends are using, CM 2 lite

http://guildwars2.mmmos.com/?page=view&id=7364

Sorry about not clarifying. The one you linked is the “Lite version 2.0,” not “2.0 lite version.” It is just a simplified 1.1, it still uses the old overlay(and key binding) programs that do not alter the GW2 files like the new Combat Mode 2.0.

Is Combat Mode bannable

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

They can’t and won’t approve any third party app/program etc. it’s not because they don’t want to, it’s because they don’t have the resources to test and try out each individual program. You will get the same response every time and that is:

“We cannot approve/deny any application to be used with or in conjunction with the game. We do not have the resources to vet every program and allow players to use them. We realize that there are helpful programs and things out there that are perfectly fine, but we cannot specifically say which is ok/good/bad. If you require further information please see the terms of use and FAQ. We are sorry we can not further answer your question at this time but this is all the information we have available.”

Pretty much don’t use something that gives you an unfair advantage to anyone else. If you get in trouble you are always able to appeal and explain your situation.

On a side note, if Arenanet DID approve an app they now are responsible for making sure that every single update to that app is allowable, working as intended, and does not interfere with the game. Simply put, they cannot do this.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Is Combat Mode bannable

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

The real question is, why bother with it. I can see this sort of app being useful for those realism shooters which don’t have a UI crosshair (for example Red Orchestra series) so you can shoot from the hip better, but in this game? You are seriously having issues with aiming in this game? Come on.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

Is Combat Mode bannable

Posted by: matemaster.2168

matemaster.2168

The real question is, why bother with it. I can see this sort of app being useful for those realism shooters which don’t have a UI crosshair (for example Red Orchestra series) so you can shoot from the hip better, but in this game? You are seriously having issues with aiming in this game? Come on.

yes the default targeting system in this game is horrible it was such a pain in the kitten for me before I started to use combat mod.
The reason why its horrible its right click mouse targeting since I am exclusively using mouse for moving my char. so when fighting and moving the targets were allways changing It was the most annoying thing for me in the entire game
Anet did nothing with rightclick mouse targeting and there are many people complaining about it
The combat mod solved this problem for me

Is Combat Mode bannable

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Please read the following thread : Policy: 3rd-Party Programs; Multi-Boxing; Macros. For any further question about this, please submit a ticket to our customer support team.

Thank you.