Is Doing Map Completion a Waste?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Considering once a character hits level 80 the xp they earn is wasted (until HoT comes out) is it a waste to do map completion right now?

It seems to me that anyone doing a heart or discovering a poi/vista is wasting xp that can be used to gain mastery points after HoT is released. If there were some reward for doing it now like spirit shards or hero points i could see the point in doing them but as it stands (unless i’m wrong) it’s a waste of future resources.

Now that it’s been so long since they took away our rewards for xp I don’t even see a resolution so i’m hoping there is something I am missing.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

In my mind you get XP for everything anyway, so when HoT comes out, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to go around completing old zones. I’ll be playing the new content and getting experience with everything I do.

The amount of experience in the game is infinite. You keep getting it. Saving a vista or a point of interest or a way point seems counter productive to me.

The reason people usually world complete is to attempt to get black lion keys or to get the gift of exploration required to make legendaries.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Didn’t they say you’d get Mastery Points for map completion if you’re already done with it? I could have sworn they have.

Muusic.2967

Didn’t they say you’d get Mastery Points for map completion if you’re already done with it? I could have sworn they have.

They said we would get hero points for the skill challenges we have completed which has already happened. I didn’t hear anything about bonus Mastery for map completion.

Also, I know there are a lot of repeatable events that grant xp and i’m sure xp will be easy to get once HoT comes out, it just would seem like a slap in the face if those of us who choose to do Map on all of our toons get penalized for continuing our playstyle between now and the release date.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

You won’t get penalized. I’m pretty sure that almost noone of the people that already hit 80 was doing the map completion for xp anyway. It was all for completion rewards, gift of exploration, title a star near your name. And you still keep getting those.

Edit: As the person below me has correctly pointed out, mastery will be divided between HoT areas and core ones. You won’t be able to get mastery xp for HoT masteries by core map completion even in the future, so you are not losing anything here. And as far as we know, the only core masteries that wil get introduced with expansion will be fractal ones – you will get them fast if you do fractals, and if you don’t, they will be useless to you anyway.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

In my mind you get XP for everything anyway, so when HoT comes out, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to go around completing old zones. I’ll be playing the new content and getting experience with everything I do.

The amount of experience in the game is infinite. You keep getting it. Saving a vista or a point of interest or a way point seems counter productive to me.

The reason people usually world complete is to attempt to get black lion keys or to get the gift of exploration required to make legendaries.

But aren’t there going to be masteries for the Great Old Zones (forbidden sight, he searches, Hunter of the shadow is riiisiiiing – sorry) and the New Zone(s)? And you can train them in each zone respectively?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My understanding is you’ll get retroactive mastery points for having done certain types of content. Doing map 100% on one char could easily be one and count towards a Tyrian track mastery. I doubt very much that doing it more than once will count towards any mastery points. However the hero points gained from doing hero challenges will go toward unlocking the elite specialization, so that’s an incentive to do them.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Don’t forget that Precursor Crafting Mastery is a Pact Tyria mastery, as well. Not just Fractals.

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

You won’t get penalized. I’m pretty sure that almost noone of the people that already hit 80 was doing the map completion for xp anyway. It was all for completion rewards, gift of exploration, title a star near your name. And you still keep getting those.

Edit: As the person below me has correctly pointed out, mastery will be divided between HoT areas and core ones. You won’t be able to get mastery xp for HoT masteries by core map completion even in the future, so you are not losing anything here. And as far as we know, the only core masteries that wil get introduced with expansion will be fractal ones – you will get them fast if you do fractals, and if you don’t, they will be useless to you anyway.

Umm I was. I was doing map completions to get more skill points since it was faster to get them than in dungeons or Silverwaste and I would work on additional gift of explorations at the same time. Still going to do completions anyways since I’m planning on getting it done on all eventual 45 characters. Just seems a little lacking on Spirit Shards now.

Now I don’t get spirit shards when leveling up and seems like they barely drop from mobs.

(edited by Enko.6123)

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

do it just for the fun of it?

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It was mentioned just before Tuesday’s release that the 189 extra Hero Points you’ll have left over after doing map completion will be tradable for something when HoT comes out.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Muusic.2967

You won’t be able to get mastery xp for HoT masteries by core map completion even in the future, so you are not losing anything here.

I would like to know what your source is for this information because i have been watching the HoT news like a hawk and haven’t seen this before.

Even if this is the case, a large number of players that I know of use map completion to build up the former skill points as well as the other rewards. The early implementation of the new hero point mechanic nullifies any xp gained by doing map completion as well as personal story and living world content that is not repeatable. It’s depressing to think Anet would do this without having some kind of retroactive rewards for the lost skill points that would have been earned.

~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think whether someone feels it’s a waste or not is going to vary from person to person. Some don’t care one way or the other, since (as someone else pointed out) we get xp for essentially everything anyway. Others, yes, they feel like they are wasting it and are holding off on doing additional exploration on characters, until they can put that exp towards their core masteries. Personally, I’m somewhere in the middle. I’m holding off on additional exploration on my 80s until I can put those sizable chunks of xp towards the precursor crafting lines. My non-80s though, still playing like normal.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Just a flesh wound.3589

You won’t be able to get mastery xp for HoT masteries by core map completion even in the future, so you are not losing anything here.

I would like to know what your source is for this information because i have been watching the HoT news like a hawk and haven’t seen this before.

Even if this is the case, a large number of players that I know of use map completion to build up the former skill points as well as the other rewards. The early implementation of the new hero point mechanic nullifies any xp gained by doing map completion as well as personal story and living world content that is not repeatable. It’s depressing to think Anet would do this without having some kind of retroactive rewards for the lost skill points that would have been earned.

In case Astralporing doesn’t come back for a while, I’ll answer that question. Mastery tracks for the Tyrian area can only be trained in the old maps and the mastery tracks for the Hot can only be trained in the HoT area.

As for the excess hero points gained by doing map completion, those points can immediately go towards the new elite specialization for each char when you get them. Those that don’t have the points will need to get hero points to unlock them, which will mean going out and doing Hero challenges as far as I can tell.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/reimagining-progression-the-mastery-system/
Each Mastery track is tied to a region of Tyria—they must be unlocked with Mastery points gained in that region and can only be trained in that region. With the launch of Heart of Thorns, there will be two Mastery regions: the Heart of Maguuma, encompassing all PvE zones that are part of the Heart of Thorns expansion, and the core Guild Wars 2 world, encompassing all PvE zones currently available in the game today. Since Mastery tracks can only be trained in their respective regions, the Mastery training bar will automatically change the Mastery track slotted when you change regions, reverting to the last Mastery track you had selected for that region. Some Mastery points will come from content that existing players may have already completed, and these Mastery points will be automatically awarded to you with the release of Heart of Thorns, allowing you to get started on your Mastery journey right away.”

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m not worried about “saving up” XP before HoT. It’s everywhere.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Masteries are account bound, so ultimately it probably doesn’t matter depending on how many characters you have.

You also get far more than just xp by doing map completion. So it also depend on if you consider the other stuff a waste too.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m going to guess that doing at least one map completion will be needed for the mastery track to craft precursor weapons. The rest of anyone’s level 80 should benefit from at least a partial map completion in order to have the Elite Specialization trained right away at launch.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m not avoiding map completion due to “wasted XP,” I’m avoiding it because they said they’ll be revamping the rewards for playing in maps and I want to hold off and see what the new goodies are. And that was true even before something happened that is going to limit my game time for a good while.

Muusic.2967

You also get far more than just xp by doing map completion. So it also depend on if you consider the other stuff a waste too.

You’re missing the point i think. Prior to the change we received a reward for gaining xp past the level bar, now we get nothing. The reward we got before was used to buy items from the mystic forge vendor as well as adding skills.

I can live with the fact that skills no longer exist as something we can purchase with xp but why did they add the spirit shard component to replace the mystic forge currency and then not allow us to gain them as we did before?

They’re very eager to sell us potions, bonfires and even give us xp potions as one of the daily login rewards which effectively multiplies times zero for level 80 toons.

I wish the general consensus posted in these forums instead of the vocal minority because every person I have pointed this out to in game is upset about it.

~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

I believe we still get those rewards, don’t we? If not, then yes it is worth it. Collecting all the Hero Points might let you spec into an Elite Spec the instant HoT goes live (unless there’s some grindy way to unlock it beyond getting hero points). Not to mention you need, no matter what, if you ever plan on making a legendary (even if that goal is ten years from now). Plus, each zone when completely explored gives supplies and gear. The high level zones even give exotic gear (completely trade-able, salvage-able unlike the PS). Mid level gives rare.

I seem to recall getting some of those shards for the MF that replaced SP for 100%ing a zone too. I didn’t pay too close attention though since I don’t really use the toilet.

(edited by Kentaine.4692)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

ANet hasn’t said anything definitive about whether post-L80 experience will have any value. There’s certainly no particular use for it today and that’s all that any of us can say.

Accordingly, the current reasons to complete a map are:

• To get the title and gold star.
  • To get the mats and a chance for a BL key.
  • To get Gifts of Exploration, for a Legendary.
  • For the fun of running around.
  • So you can say you have.

If none of those apply, then, no, there’s no point in completing maps.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You’re missing the point i think. Prior to the change we received a reward for gaining xp past the level bar, now we get nothing. The reward we got before was used to buy items from the mystic forge vendor as well as adding skills.

I can live with the fact that skills no longer exist as something we can purchase with xp but why did they add the spirit shard component to replace the mystic forge currency and then not allow us to gain them as we did before?

They’re very eager to sell us potions, bonfires and even give us xp potions as one of the daily login rewards which effectively multiplies times zero for level 80 toons.

I wish the general consensus posted in these forums instead of the vocal minority because every person I have pointed this out to in game is upset about it.

We get the equivalent of 3 Skill Points (Bag of Spirit Shards) each day for completing 3 Daily Tasks now, so I’m of a mind that that reward is to offset any prior level-up reward of Skill Points.

I don’t know how often I leveled a higher-level character 3 times in a daily play session. But, now I get them whether I level up 3x on a high level character, or don’t level up at all, or level my lowbies. Plus whatever comes from drops, loot bags, etc.

Seems pretty nice. For me, anyway.

Muusic.2967

I don’t know how often I leveled a higher-level character 3 times in a daily play session.

Considering you’re one of the few players I follow in game I can honestly say that you will benefit considering your low amount of play time.

Recently I crafted a legendary weapon and it cost me roughly 350 skill points to do it. I earned those skill points by doing map completion on my toon and now as it stands if I want to make another legendary I will have to either wait 100+ days OR rerun boring farm events. I would much rather earn them doing personal story, living world, dungeon or map completion. Maybe even while i’m doing WvW or Eotm. Legendary weapons are just one example for the use of Mystic Forge items, there’s augur stones and many other things.

The game continues to dole out XP in bright yellow letters as if something is being earned and the xp bar continues to roll over with nothing to show for it. Even allowing 1 AP point per rollover would be nice at this point up to a limit but zero reward is a slap in the face.

~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I’m on my 11th time through. I started doing it for the gifts of exploration, but now I do it because:

1) Never feels like grinding events for loot
2) My material bank has everything in it.
3) Keys! – I got a 60g dye and a mini from one of my chests, last night. Not too bad.
4) The little explorer star
5) I STILL find new events and experiences on a regular basis.

Will it benefit me for HoT? I don’t really care – it’s fun for me to do now, and when the expansion hits, I’ll probably be more interested in doing those maps than going back through non-expansion Tyria again.. and there will probably be less people on the maps then, too.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Considering once a character hits level 80 the xp they earn is wasted (until HoT comes out) is it a waste to do map completion right now?

It seems to me that anyone doing a heart or discovering a poi/vista is wasting xp that can be used to gain mastery points after HoT is released. If there were some reward for doing it now like spirit shards or hero points i could see the point in doing them but as it stands (unless i’m wrong) it’s a waste of future resources.

Now that it’s been so long since they took away our rewards for xp I don’t even see a resolution so i’m hoping there is something I am missing.

You do get spirit shards now. Also, you can’t make Legendary’s without it – you need the Gift item.

As regards the masteries thing. You get XP from all sorts of things, even after you have map completion. The only difference is that right now it’s largely meaningless – but after HoT it won’t be.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Muusic.2967

You do get spirit shards now. Also, you can’t make Legendary’s without it – you need the Gift item.

You do not get Spirit Shards for XP in any way, period.

~Dr. Seuss

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know how often I leveled a higher-level character 3 times in a daily play session.

Considering you’re one of the few players I follow in game I can honestly say that you will benefit considering your low amount of play time.

Recently I crafted a legendary weapon and it cost me roughly 350 skill points to do it. I earned those skill points by doing map completion on my toon and now as it stands if I want to make another legendary I will have to either wait 100+ days OR rerun boring farm events. I would much rather earn them doing personal story, living world, dungeon or map completion. Maybe even while i’m doing WvW or Eotm. Legendary weapons are just one example for the use of Mystic Forge items, there’s augur stones and many other things.

The game continues to dole out XP in bright yellow letters as if something is being earned and the xp bar continues to roll over with nothing to show for it. Even allowing 1 AP point per rollover would be nice at this point up to a limit but zero reward is a slap in the face.

Really? Low play time? I wonder how I got the nearly 1500 Spirit Shards, or 5000 hours on my main account? For pete’s sake, it must be that bugged account, again!

Who knows? Perhaps you won’t need SS to create Legendaries in the future. I’d give you a few of my paltry amount, but sadly, they are account-bound.

Good luck.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I don’t think that’s what MashMash was saying.

MashMash is saying you still get spirit shards (he didn’t say from what though). And that you need them for legendary weapons.

Then he went on to say that once HoT comes, XP for level 80+ will turn into Mastery experience.

I believe they said they will increase the rate of dropping of what used to skill point scrolls. Which automatically get consumed and stuck in the wallet (Yay! less clicking!). Knowing how some people can get into a bad streak with RNG, ANet did add in some ways to guarantee getting spirit shards: Dailies.

And whether they’ve got the drop rate set at a good spot is unknown and likely something that will take time for the devs to figure out while people generate data for them to analyze.

Posted by: Benie.9312

Benie.9312

The only waste I feel, is you get one char to 100% World Completion, why do it on your other chars? After doing it once, wouldn’t you feel it’s nothing but mindless grinding if you do it again on another char?

Chars on ’Yak’s Bend’;
Beniee – Ranger – Level 80
Deathclaw Ragefist – Necromancer – Level 80

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

The only waste I feel, is you get one char to 100% World Completion, why do it on your other chars? After doing it once, wouldn’t you feel it’s nothing but mindless grinding if you do it again on another char?

More gifts of exploration if you’re looking to make legendary weapons. Some people are in the sole business of making and selling legendary weapons.

Some people want to make the ones they use and have more than 2 weapons they want as legendary tier. So they have to complete the map again to get more gifts of exploration.

Some players just enjoy the process of map completion.

It’s also a nice goal to work toward when you aren’t really focusing on anything else in particular.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

…The game continues to dole out XP in bright yellow letters as if something is being earned and the xp bar continues to roll over with nothing to show for it.

Yeah, I find this awkward.

• Before splitting djinngots and hero points, it was easy to earn both. Now it’s hard to earn either (technically: hero points are just as easy to earn before, except we are limited in how many we can earn).
  • Post-80 experience is earned by not stored/accrued, so it increases the confusion of the new system.

Recently I crafted a legendary weapon and it cost me roughly 350 skill points to do it. I earned those skill points by doing map completion on my toon and now as it stands if I want to make another legendary I will have to either wait 100+ days OR rerun boring farm events. …

That’s not entirely true. We earn 3 djinngots per day for dailies and have a choice of using daily and/or login rewards to get more via tomes of knowledge. PvP is currently still a significant source of them.

Still, I would hope that the experience we keep “earning” has a use and that they update map completion rewards to include additional djinngots.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

ANet hasn’t said anything definitive about whether post-L80 experience will have any value. There’s certainly no particular use for it today and that’s all that any of us can say.

Don’t forget the ability to go to whatever guild mission straight away with no waiting.

Had a guy in a previous guild who didn’t do completion and was always complaining because he had to run everywhere. We even had people volunteer to help him get it but he still didn’t bother, and kept complaining. Ended up kicking him.

~~~

On a related topic of doing completion pre-HoT, wasn’t there stated somewhere that one would be given better rewards in the future for completing areas? Or was that something different? I can’t seem to find the blog post or video with that in it just now.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Don’t forget the ability to go to whatever guild mission straight away with no waiting.

Had a guy in a previous guild who didn’t do completion and was always complaining because he had to run everywhere. We even had people volunteer to help him get it but he still didn’t bother, and kept complaining. Ended up kicking him.

~~~

On a related topic of doing completion pre-HoT, wasn’t there stated somewhere that one would be given better rewards in the future for completing areas? Or was that something different? I can’t seem to find the blog post or video with that in it just now.

You can find the reference to the new Map Rewards in the ‘New Legendaries’ News Blog article.

Good luck.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I don’t think that’s what MashMash was saying.

MashMash is saying you still get spirit shards (he didn’t say from what though). And that you need them for legendary weapons.

Then he went on to say that once HoT comes, XP for level 80+ will turn into Mastery experience.

I believe they said they will increase the rate of dropping of what used to skill point scrolls. Which automatically get consumed and stuck in the wallet (Yay! less clicking!). Knowing how some people can get into a bad streak with RNG, ANet did add in some ways to guarantee getting spirit shards: Dailies.

And whether they’ve got the drop rate set at a good spot is unknown and likely something that will take time for the devs to figure out while people generate data for them to analyze.

This only serves to make me more concerned….. This has become a compound issue, where attempt has been made to push players into the various optional activities (with crafting and collections being the biggest, with most significant cost involved), only turn around and make it harder to get the one resource the vast majority of them require to be in reasonable reach. Its the Damask debacle all over again.

I only started getting into crafting this year, and the skill points were invaluable for the conversion work on lodestones. Not to mention the amount of points I’ve blown on siege upgrades for Tier 3 WvW match ups. It was the only part of the equation I didn’t have worry about spreading too thin.

But if its true that shards are going RNG, and linked to events, it means I can’t just pick an activity and passively collect shards…. It means I have to specifically farm them like everything else has been drifting to. Its like a crappier version of Champ bags.