Is Elemental Dmg ever going to be like GW1?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cinnamon Goddess.3869

Cinnamon Goddess.3869

I have felt that elemental damage in GW2 is pointless since its launch. In GW1 the damage type would matter because some of the enemies would have weaknesses to that type of damage. The Undead took double damage if the damage type was Holy Damage. Fire Damage would inflicted more damage against Plant and Ice enemies.

These mechanics justified the existence of these different damage types but in GW2 it seems like all damage types do ultimately the same damage. If this is the case then there is almost no purpose to the damage type other than for example, creating the burning condition with fire.

I would like to see damage types have meaning again in GW2. The combat was dumbed down way to much from GW1 and I would like to see GW2 get back to and surpass its complexity.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s unlikely to ever happen, and I don’t think it makes the game much weaker because of it. In Guild Wars 1. the entire game was about builds. You’d have to choose your skills before you left an outpost and you had to make sure you made the right choices. If you went into Shards of Orr with bleeds, poison and disease it was going to be a rough ride, because none of those things affected skeletons. In this way, Guild Wars 1 was more of a puzzle you had to solve.

Guild Wars 2 is more about active combat than solving a puzzle. It’s a definite adjustment in thought process. In a game where you can change your build out of combat at any point, this sort of thing doesn’t really have the same impact. There are a couple of things in the game that are sort of like that (dredge can’t be blinded, destroyers can’t be burned), but it really doesn’t make that much of a difference. Even with a burning spec I can still kill destroyers. And if it didn’t work I could get out of combat and change on the fly.

This isn’t as much of a strategy game as Guild Wars 1 was, which is probably why it’s reaching a wider audience.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

GW1 was Rock, Paper Scissors approach to build design and deserves to be left behind.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I think it’d be kinda a neat mechanic for a dungeon/fractal/raid boss to be differently affected by different damage types in different phases, but I don’t mind not having to think about it during general play. It was fun in GW1, but this isn’t GW1 and can only do so much to pretend to be it.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

There is no elemental damage type in GW2. There’s only direct damage, condition damage, and agony.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I agree with the OP that it was more fun in GW1.
But, in GW1 we actually had to use our brains and think rather than stack, smack and autoattack

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

I miss the variation in both damage type and build freedom, GW2 is very cookie cutter.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.