Is GPU my bottleneck?

Is GPU my bottleneck?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: thekap.8645

thekap.8645

Q:

So I am almost positive that the gpu is my current bottleneck in my system. So i am playing with every setting on highest except for settings that have ultra setting and i am getting around 15-20 fps average and drop to as low as 8 fps in heavy populated areas with alot of effects, such as the new wurm fight with 50 people going all out on one head. So my current system is as follows:

i7 – 4930k running at 4.2 ghzs
32 gb mushkin 2133 ram
intel 520 ssd 240gb
evga gtx 760

So as the topic says is this a GPU problem? If so does anyone know how much of an improvement can be expected from a gtx 780?

Calidorne – L80 Ranger – Commander

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

That’s normal. GW2 is CPU intense. Unless you got a supercomputer like the Tianhe-II, you shouldn’t set Character Model Limit higher than ‘low’

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Posted by: Myst.5783

Myst.5783

Completely normal.

CPU is the bottleneck in gw2.

Picture attached is with everything maxed with supersampling in crowded area. The CPU often stays 100% while GPU is somewhere around 80%.

Attachments:

Currently playing: Mesmer/Ele/Theif
JQ

(edited by Myst.5783)

Is GPU my bottleneck?

thekap.8645

My cpu never gets above 50% usage while playing. Keep in mind you just linked an i5 – 2500k. I have a liquid cooled i7-4930k 6-core running at 4.2ghzs.

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Myst.5783

My cpu never gets above 50% usage while playing. Keep in mind you just linked an i5 – 2500k. I have a liquid cooled i7-4930k 6-core running at 4.2ghzs.

My i5 is overclocked similarly. This game is singled threaded afaik so the fact you have i7 doesn’t matter. I don’t think the IPC improvement was very much from sandy to ivybridge. Make sure you have the vysnc/frame limiter turned off in game.

EDIT: Okay slash the single threaded comment, seems gw2 uses all 4 CPU cores on my i5.

JQ

(edited by Myst.5783)

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

My i5 is overclocked similarly. This game is singled threaded afaik so the fact you have i7 doesn’t matter. I don’t think the IPC improvement was very much from sandy to ivybridge. Make sure you have the vysnc/frame limiter turned off in game.

you can have a 4 , 6 or a 8 Cores CPU overclocked to hell .. GW2 will never use more than 3.

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Myst.5783

you can have a 4 , 6 or a 8 Cores CPU overclocked to hell .. GW2 will never use more than 3.

Thats not what I’m seeing.

Attachments:

JQ

Is GPU my bottleneck?

thekap.8645

Anyways back to my original question. Does anyone know if i will get a big jump if i go from a 760 to a 780. I can say that in these same type events if i drop some of the shadows and reflections down and turn off hi res models it does get me above 30 fps. Another reason i think gpu is to blame.

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

No. I switched from a 660ti to a 780ti sc and the differences where not noticable.

Also, you are using this CPU oc it and have no idea how to figure out bottlenecks? YYou should read up on that subject

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

You’d be better off pushing for a higher overclock.

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Posted by: Taparok.4321

Taparok.4321

Anyways back to my original question. Does anyone know if i will get a big jump if i go from a 760 to a 780. I can say that in these same type events if i drop some of the shadows and reflections down and turn off hi res models it does get me above 30 fps. Another reason i think gpu is to blame.

I believe that shadows and reflections are actually more CPU heavy for this game.

Generally.

CPU Intensive Tasks:
Physics
Sound
Animation & Animation Interpolation
Particles
Decals
Polygons
Dynamic Lighting/Shadows
Reflection

GPU intensive Tasks:
Textures & Bumpmaps
AA & AF
HDR & Bloom
Resolution

Now that is not suggesting that you CPU is still sub optimal. Rather, the game is probably not as optimized as it could be for your setup (or most setups for that matter).

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Posted by: Eleir.9325

Eleir.9325

So I am almost positive that the gpu is my current bottleneck in my system. So i am playing with every setting on highest except for settings that have ultra setting and i am getting around 15-20 fps average and drop to as low as 8 fps in heavy populated areas with alot of effects, such as the new wurm fight with 50 people going all out on one head. So my current system is as follows:

i7 – 4930k running at 4.2 ghzs
32 gb mushkin 2133 ram
intel 520 ssd 240gb
evga gtx 760

So as the topic says is this a GPU problem? If so does anyone know how much of an improvement can be expected from a gtx 780?

Your system is fine, I would check the GPU on another game.

(Lv. 80 Necromancer)Ash Grimbane [MEAN] – DarkHaven

Is GPU my bottleneck?

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Its kind of odd that you’re getting such low fps. I get much higher and I’m running
I7-4770k 3.5ghz GPU
16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
Evga GTX 770 gpu
2 TB Hard drive.

So you’re system seems overall better than mine except the GPU is one step lower. I get around 30fps in big zerg fights and around 70fps in LA and other parts of the world. Even in the work fight I drop no lower than 25-30fps. To drop down to 8 seems really off to me. I don’t think its a GPU problem though.