Is GW2 Worth Getting Into? (2017)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zalphox.6204

Zalphox.6204

I’ve been on the lookout a while now for an MMO to invest my time into. I have played this game for a while now and enjoy it, however I am worried that in 2017 it might start to die, and i have wasted my time. I just want people’s opinions on whether I should stay or not. I looked into WOW and it looks reasonably fun and active, however it is far too expensive for what I’m looking for. Does anyone recommend waiting for a new MMO or perhaps transferring to a newer MMO such as BDO, which looked quite good?

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I think this next year will be crucial for GW2.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

Gw2 is a casual mmo so you can quit and come back without having to play catch-up. You may have to look into getting some of the Living story episodes. LS3 is very interesting so far and hopefully an expansion will be announced later this year. From the reviews and youtube review of BDO its a grind. It does not seem that way at first but eventually you get to a point and realize how much of a grind it is.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

Gw2 is a casual mmo so you can quit and come back without having to play catch-up. You may have to look into getting some of the Living story episodes. LS3 is very interesting so far and hopefully an expansion will be announced later this year. From the reviews and youtube review of BDO its a grind. It does not seem that way at first but eventually you get to a point and realize how much of a grind it is.

And I read you get relentlessly ganked and camped by higher level/more geared players. Yuck, I can’t believe companies still make games like that.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Playing MMO’s (and other video games) is wasting time, unless you’re one of those playing an ESport game and are making money doing so. I would not be concerned about playing this game being a waste of time — it probably already is.

The only point to a video game for most is to have fun. If you’re concerned about something other than fun, I’d say you’d be better off giving up video games completely. If you like GW2 as you claim, you’re probably having fun. If so, I’d say keep playing until that changes.

I’m not concerned about the game dying. Not at all. I expect GW2 to last for years more. I’ve seen games with much lower populations hang on for a half a decade and they’re still hanging on.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Short answer to the question in the subject line:

Yes.

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Yes. I still play lots of other games, but despite all its flaws, Gw2 is the game I find myself consistently coming back to. Still has one of the best combat systems out of most mmos.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Depends what you expect from the game. If you are afraid servers will be really closing very soon then you should not be worried. I don’t see a reason they have to close.

If you want an active MMO, known by the big audience, full of players and being actively worked on then it might be a different story. At some point GW2 was exactly that, while having its flaws. Those flaws over time where resulting in the loss of players (well income) and loss of attention by the big audience.

Imho HoT and the first 6 months after was the critical time for GW2 to solve this and stay on the radar of the big audience, being one of the big ones out there for many years to come, or to become one of the many mmo’s.

They did not solve those issues what resulted in people leaving and also getting lost from the radar of the big audience. I expect the next expansion to sell less because of this what imo will result in a shrink of the dev-team.

That said, the game will likely still continued to be worked on, just not as much as now, and you will likely have a smaller player base then GW2 had during the first years of its life.
If that is not a problem for you then sure play the game, but I would suggest not using it as a huge time-sink. Just play it as your average game.

It will likely be at least a year before we know any of this for sure.

Posted by: Shivan.9438

Shivan.9438

An MMO and the time you spend in it, isn’t a waste of time if you’re having fun, or had fun. Free time is just that, free time. So if you had fun, congrats!! You achieved your goal. As far as the game dying or might die; all games do that. Not because of financial issues, but because the game has stopped being fun for you. This is something that I feel people lose sight of in an MMO, compared to other games like Minecraft or Half Life. At the end of the day, it’s a game, it’s meant to be played and have fun. When you stop having fun, the game is dead for you.

Don’t worry, play the game and have fun.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

If you enjoy this game, then just have fun playing it. I seriously doubt it’s in its death throes. LOL. Monetary figures released show the game is making a profit. While they don’t release player numbers, signs indicate that population is good. Anet is also working on a second expansion— all signs for continued existence of the game.

IMO, WoW is the least common denominator. Whatever peoples’ opinions of that game, it does have a large reletively loyal fan base and many can relate to it. BDO is very pretty, which is the best thing I’ve heard said about it. However, if you’re worried about the expense, I’d caution you away from that game, too. It’s arguably pay-to-win on top of the box fee and sure, companies need to make money; where you draw the line is subjective.

I will say that GW2 has no sub fee and as long as you login sometime while a living story update is active, you won’t have to pay for it. Even if you can’t login when new content is active, you can convert game gold to purchase content so it doesn’t have to cost real money.

There are always new games coming out. If one catches your fancy, put GW2 on hold while you give it whirl. Is it really a waste to enjoy something temporarily? You can always rediscover the fun of it later— and if you don’t, then look back on the fun times fondly and move on.

Good luck.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

they need to revamp their PVE. especially the loot table

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I am worried that in 2017 it might start to die, and i have wasted my time. I just want people’s opinions on whether I should stay or not.

GW2 won’t die anytime soon. In fact, it’s the most active MMO after WoW and FFXIV. Both of those are subscription games so that makes GW2 the most active B2P game. And yes, it’s still worth playing. Thanks to account bound Ascended gear and no new level cap, it’s always easy to come back to GW2.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I just started again, about a month and a half ago, after not having played for 15 months (was a little frustrated when HoT came out). ‘Really’ enjoying myself again, including HoT! I play things now when I’m having fun now, and don’t play them when I’m not having fun…now. I don’t think about what something was, or where it’s going to. I’m more of a ‘journey’ person.

If you are more of a ‘destination’ person, I don’t see how you could play any MMO, or anything, really? That would just paralyze me.

From the moment we are born…

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

What I really enjoyed about GW2 is something I haven’t found in other games yet: The ability to jump into the game with “low” effort and enjoy it because the game is fun to play when you found your profession to play as…

…or with “high” effort and you grind your butt off to get shiny stuff.

I take roughly 6 months to get to Level 80 because I enjoy this game. The amount of stuff to do is sheer endless, because there are always new things added. Even if they are grindy things.

Or in short:
You can enjoy this game as a quick cigarette – or slowly as a cigar. At your own pace.
Personally, this is the first game and franchise I would stick to in my life.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Posted by: as asureus.6287

as asureus.6287

Mea 0,5491

In fact, it’s the most active MMO after WoW and FFXIV.

It’s a big lie .

Black Desert ,Lineage II,Blade and Soul

Guild Wars 2 gets 12.9M € (-48%, which the studio explains by the economic model buy-to-play MMO and the absence of paid extension but ensures that the figure will go up with new updates)

http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite/51099/nouveau-trimestre-croissance-ncsoft-attendant-avenir

Mea.5491

Mea 0,5491

It’s a big lie .

Guild Wars 2 gets 12.9M € (-48%, which the studio explains by the economic model buy-to-play MMO and the absence of paid extension but ensures that the figure will go up with new updates)

http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite/51099/nouveau-trimestre-croissance-ncsoft-attendant-avenir

I was talking about playerbase, not money…

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Mea 0,5491

It’s a big lie .

BDO, Lineage, B&S get there numbers from the Asian market. Those game’s performed horribly on the western market.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Mea.5491

BDO, Lineage, B&S get there numbers from the Asian market. Those game’s performed horribly on the western market.

Exactly.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I played B&S a bit and it’s horrible. But it seems Asians like such Korea grinders. I think GW2 will last for a pretty long time. There could be more success ofc, they wasted a lot of potential when they had the opportunity to keep players. But it seems to get better and I hope they will announce a new expansion soon.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

I’ve been on the lookout a while now for an MMO to invest my time into. I have played this game for a while now and enjoy it, however I am worried that in 2017 it might start to die, and i have wasted my time. I just want people’s opinions on whether I should stay or not. I looked into WOW and it looks reasonably fun and active, however it is far too expensive for what I’m looking for. Does anyone recommend waiting for a new MMO or perhaps transferring to a newer MMO such as BDO, which looked quite good?

If you’re a more recent player and enjoy the game as it currently is, then you’re unlikely to be disappointed with future content and expansions. The team at ArenaNet has made rather clear what they intend of the game — at least in terms of competitive play and high-level open world content.

As for what the new expansion will entail, that’s still unknown. If Living Story Season 3 is anything to go by, a lot of map-farming and cooperative meta-events, which … isn’t particularly quite like what the team had said following the reception of Heart of Thorns.

So we’ll see.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

The game is well worth buying! I enjoy it a lot when I am able to play it. It’s got something for everybody! I would say that by the end of this year they will announce their second expansion, maybe it will take longer, not sure. Anyways, the game is heading in the right direction, with new content being added after every season. If you start at this moment you have quite a lot to do. I got a lot of stuff and I still find myself treasure hunting!!

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I think it is. The game is not without its flaws, but I keep coming back to it. The fact that it’s casual and can easily be dropped for periods of time and returned to later without being massively disrupting is an extra incentive to get into it IMO.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Well, my purchase price for HoT was $40, and I have had more than 160 hours gameplay that I enjoyed, so … I’m happy that it was worth the 25 cents per hour I paid for it. (and that price per hour is only going down as I play more.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

I’m enjoying being back after 2 and 1/2 years away. I don’t even have HoT and am having a blast. Map completion, World Bosses, leveling alts. It’s all good.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Ravenflame.5890

Ravenflame.5890

If you want a game that is pretty darn good, and that you can step away from at any time if you need to, then GW2 is the game for you!

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

You’re posting on a GuildWars 2 forums…. (mind you, the official forums)

The general answer will be yes.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

such as BDO, which looked quite good?

As someone who played a lot of BDO, it is very fun up until about level 53 at which point you will need to go to the eastern part of the map where you will be ganked relentlessly. The problem with BDO is there is NO END GAME CONTENT. Essentially the end game content is “gank newbies”. So unless you love getting killed for no reason at all by unkillable higher level players, the game really isn’t great.

Also, you said you played GW2 a lot, remember how all you could do for a precursor was throw stuff in the mystic toilet? If you loved that mechanic, you may enjoy BDO because that game has the worst RNG of any game I have ever played in my life, ever.

I have a coworker who is hardcore into WOW. I don’t know how much time you have to play but you CAN play WOW “for free” if you play enough because similar to how we can buy gems with gold, you can buy wow game time with in game gold. So theoretically it’s possible to play for free. Also I think it’s free up to level 35 so if you want to try it out, there’s no reason not to.

Posted by: Eneldiar.9670

Eneldiar.9670

Depends on what you want from a longer-term MMO.

The biggest thing to note about this game is its lack of vertical progression – which is a staple in WoW. I’ve had my level 80 for four years now and aside from getting ascended gear when that came out, there has been nothing required of me to keep my character up-to-date besides changing my trait/skill setup now and again. In a game like WoW, you have to constantly play to retain the highest-level gear and each expansion practically cleans the slate.

Vertical games (like WoW) tend to have much bigger bulges/dips in player count revolving around new content. Games like Gw2 will likely not have those massive player-count spikes, but also won’t have that big dip either. There will always be a group of people playing this for its decent mechanics and its casual format.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Depends on what you want from a longer-term MMO.

The biggest thing to note about this game is its lack of vertical progression – which is a staple in WoW. I’ve had my level 80 for four years now and aside from getting ascended gear when that came out, there has been nothing required of me to keep my character up-to-date besides changing my trait/skill setup now and again. In a game like WoW, you have to constantly play to retain the highest-level gear and each expansion practically cleans the slate.

Vertical games (like WoW) tend to have much bigger bulges/dips in player count revolving around new content. Games like Gw2 will likely not have those massive player-count spikes, but also won’t have that big dip either. There will always be a group of people playing this for its decent mechanics and its casual format.

GW2 also doesn’t have the “throw away” content — garrisons, artifact weapons — that WoW does. People used to ask when “WoW 2” was coming, and I always said that each xpac was the next version of WoW in any way you considered significant.

GW2, by contrast, feels like a single, contiguous game, where I don’t get a “season reset” each time content is released. (In WoW, that was pretty true for each new raid tier, as well as the xpacs.)

Posted by: Seyiwaji.4082

Seyiwaji.4082

Simple answer:
If you own the game, no problem.
If you don’t, don’t buy it. It is not worth 45€.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If you’re a more recent player and enjoy the game as it currently is, then you’re unlikely to be disappointed with future content and expansions. The team at ArenaNet has made rather clear what they intend of the game — at least in terms of competitive play and high-level open world content.

That’s exactly the opposite of what i was about to say. At this moment, the game is at crossroads and its future is unclear. Perhaps the next expansion will clear the situation, but for now, the future is very much uncertain.

That doesn’t mean the game is in danger of closing however. It’s likely to last for at least some time. What is unsure is only what kind of game, and for whom, it will be.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Up till Zhatian I’d say sure

The game started with promises and inticed people in with unique features such as an emphasis on underwater content. Many people who were here at the start are no longer here right now and I’d say this game lacks direction as nothing is ever hammered down. From launch to s1, s2, HoT, and S3 is a cycle of reinvention the very nature of the content has stark differences as nothing is hammered down and perfected but is replaced after implementation.

Up till the first Dragon everything that came prior is in GW1 and the books which is alright it doesn’t directly effect your character. However after Zhatian Season 1 took place and that’s not in the game anymore its like asking someone to read a trilogy but the second book/movie isn’t present at all. You go from things you know to everything upside down with random characters who never get an introduction just a quick vid on a villian that you’ll never know since they lived and died in S1 and the strangers around you pointing to the next dragon. S1 left a large hole which is rather difficult for new players who care about story to get over.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Guild Wars 2 is still a good game to get into far as free mmo,s go . and despite it using

DX9 . today’s hardware can push it some making it even more better . so yes getting

into Guild Wars 2 in 2017 is worth it

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Morbidlight.3275

Morbidlight.3275

I currently play both WOW and Guild Wars 2. Right now there are no other MMO’s on the market quite as good. (I have played many others in the past) Below is a list of pros and cons for both games, but essentially why you should rather play Guild Wars in general.

+ Guild Wars is free,
- WOW is subscription

+ Guild Wars graphics are simply better
- WOW Legion has much improved graphics and the cartoony style suits the game but Guild Wars 2 still wins this department.

+ Guild Wars 2 has new content ALL THE TIME in the Living Story FOR FREE. The development so far since HoT has been interesting and engaging. You can also replay the Living Story episodes to catch up. Characters are believable and the script has improved since early days.
- WOW’s content and lore is still amazing, but the expansion packs do cost.

+ Guild Wars quest system is still the best out there. The dynamic quests and even just what the player are required to do in certain quests are a LOT more exciting and diverse than WOW.
- WOWs quest system is like this: kill x number of monsters, or collect x number of items, rince repeat over and over again. VERY STATIC and monotonous.

+ Although Guild Wars has less active skills to work with in game, the main and offhand weapon combinations make it more diverse and this mixed with your traits and mastery make creating and using your build very fun, especially in PVP.
- WOW has more active skills on your skill bar, but again you just pretty much spam certain skills at certain intervals to get the max damage/effectiveness out of it. There is really no diversity or complexity behind it. My retribution Palladin is level 100 and I have been using the same skills all game so far.

+ Guild Wars 2 PVP is simply the best there is. WOW is nowhere even close. The mechanics in Guild Wars 2 PVP (and combat in general) are extremely rewarding, fluent and exciting. In WOW, you pretty much just spam you skills till the enemy is dead. (Yes PVP requires a little more tactic and timing of the use of skills) But in Guild Wars 2, you can also dodge to evade attacks based on a stamina bar, you can also block depending on your weapon selection and class. It is a much deeper experience than WOW, and I am only talking about sPVP here. WvWvW is a whole other scope of large scale PVP combat which the only other game I can think of that comes close to it is DAOC or WAR: Online.

+ WOW is a grind for gear based game. If you want the most powerful items, be prepared to spend most of your life playing this game. Also, every so often, they introduce new weapons and gear that is more powerful than previously. So you have to keep grinding to have the best gear. Some people enjoy this and thats fine, this is for the hardcore crowd.
+Guild Wars 2 grind is more for cosmetic looks of weapons and gear. Yes, the Legendary weapons and armor have slightly better stats the Ascended and Exotic, but that is not the main reason people want them. Just have a look at some of the legendary weapons, they are stunning.

The twos department that I can think of where WOW actually beats Guild Wars is the sheer size of the WOW universe, in terms of map and zone size, a more importantly (and this is what I dislike about Guild Wars 2 the most) is that the zones in WOW are almost completely seamless. When you cross over into a new zone, there are no loading screens, it really feels like one gigantic world. Where as in Guild Wars, yes the zones are big too, but you have to go through a portal to enter a zone next to it, which takes the immersion out of the experience a bit. Also, when opening up the map in Guild Wars 2, it looks like you are looking at a giant sliced cake (all the zones cut up into squares). I understand it was designed this way because of server limitations, but I really feel after 5 years of the game being out they can afford to design more seamless environments.

-To get around in Guild Wars 2, you either run or use Asura portals all over Tyria for a quick transit and a small fee.
+ WOW has supercool mounts and this works because it goes hand in hand with the massive world I mentioned above.

Both are superb games, but Guild Wars 2 was designed for longevity and the millions of people that still play the game are testament to this.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t know, the game comes out with a new story and new zone every 2-3 months. They’re making new raid wings. If you’re a PvE player, there’s plenty to do and plenty of people playing.

I can’t speak to the other game modes, though I have people in my guild who live in WvW, so they have to be fighting someone. lol

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Playing MMO’s (and other video games) is wasting time, unless you’re one of those playing an ESport game and are making money doing so. I would not be concerned about playing this game being a waste of time — it probably already is.

The only point to a video game for most is to have fun. If you’re concerned about something other than fun, I’d say you’d be better off giving up video games completely. If you like GW2 as you claim, you’re probably having fun. If so, I’d say keep playing until that changes.

I’m not concerned about the game dying. Not at all. I expect GW2 to last for years more. I’ve seen games with much lower populations hang on for a half a decade and they’re still hanging on.

Truer words are rarely spoken in gaming. People forget, because games are designed to make them forget, that they have a choice: Games are entertainment, they are not crucial, they are not some sort of personal identity without which one is less of a person. One does not have to play a game if it proves frustrating.

If you are slaving away at a game, because you have been told it “gets good at max level”, or because item X will make it all better, then you are making yourself miserable based on an empty promise.

Play games that are enjoyable right now, and if they aren’t, throw them in the bin and do something worth your time.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Truer words are rarely spoken in gaming. People forget, because games are designed to make them forget, that they have a choice: Games are entertainment, they are not crucial, they are not some sort of personal identity without which one is less of a person. One does not have to play a game if it proves frustrating.

If you are slaving away at a game, because you have been told it “gets good at max level”, or because item X will make it all better, then you are making yourself miserable based on an empty promise.

Play games that are enjoyable right now, and if they aren’t, throw them in the bin and do something worth your time.

I don’t know that I can agree with this completely. While it seems self-evident, there is something that called to this whole immediate gratification thing that teaches people to not really give something a chance.

Some of the best books I’ve ever read started slowly and I didn’t really enjoy them until the halfway mark, but I’d have been poorer for not having read them.

The first season of Babylon 5 was meh, but it turned out to be one of my favorite scifi series of all time.

There are plenty of people who come to this game from other games and “don’t get it” because its’ different from many other games. Not giving the game a chance, seems like what you’re advocating.

How many people come here and say it’s hard to level, or they’re bored, because they don’t really understand how the game is laid out or what they’re supposed to do.

Sure, if something isn’t fun over the long haul, by all means, get it out of your life. But there are plenty of things in my life that weren’t fun at first, but I perservered and they became more than I could have imagined.

I guess I’m an old guy. The need for instant gratification to me is something I think that’s a problem…one that’s not likely to go away.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Seems like you’d miss out on a lot of fun stuff that way. A lot of people who love coffee hated the first sip and I don’t know anyone who was able to ride a bicycle their first time out.

Adults take longer to learn some things (including video games).

So I’d say, if a lot of people are having fun with a game that isn’t fun for you “right now,” ask them for help. Sometimes, it’s something small that you can change.

Anyhow, in answer to the OP’s question from ages ago, GW2 is a really fun game for a lot of people. It’s most definitely worth spending some time to get into. (Although it’s not for everyone.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Going to skip all the drama and answer TCs question directly:

1.) Short answer: yes.

2.) Longer answer: GW2 has an very extensive free unlimited trial account which includes the entire vanilla part of the game with minor restrictions as far as gameplay go (https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT). If you are unsure, just create a free trial account and start playing. If you don’t find the game fun, don’t get it. If you find it fun, get it. Simple and saves you all the drama people like to kick up on the forums.

Side note, many posters here will have many hundreds or thousands of hours on their account no matter if they are pro or con, you figure out what that means.

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

As far as where you should go, that’s up to you personally. I will say, though imo, that in the long run MMOs are in the twilight of their years. There won’t be a “next big thing” ever again. WoW was an anomaly at the right place at the right time. That’s not getting replicated. MMOs are NOT getting bigger folks. MMOs will revert to as how they began, as niche games. Gw2 is no exception. Gw2 can still gain new players and be successful, but it’s not getting bigger than WoW.

I wouldn’t worry about “wasting” time. As long as you have fun, that’s all that matters. MMOs don’t really die. Their dedicated audiences will always remain. Look at Lineage. Freakin ULTIMA online is active lol.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

One thing for sure in this game is that you need to set yourself your own personal goals. If you expect the game to tell you: go do this and that (well that sort of features is of course implemented in the long run as for collections for example), you will never truly find out if it is worth it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Going to skip all the drama and answer TCs question directly:

1.) Short answer: yes.

2.) Longer answer: GW2 has an very extensive free unlimited trial account which includes the entire vanilla part of the game with minor restrictions as far as gameplay go (https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230165307-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT). If you are unsure, just create a free trial account and start playing. If you don’t find the game fun, don’t get it. If you find it fun, get it. Simple and saves you all the drama people like to kick up on the forums.

Side note, many posters here will have many hundreds or thousands of hours on their account no matter if they are pro or con, you figure out what that means.

No need for the OP to use the Play4Free version (and its restrictions), as it is obvious the OP has already purchased the game.

@OP: I don’t think you have anything to worry about concerning the game closing any time soon.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

kitten , why you pump old thread.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

I played a bunch of MMOs on Steam that were f2p during the content drought on GW2.

Wildstar was good fun, but close to empty. There were also a few quirks that usually get ironed out as the devs go back and clean up stuff, but I’m assuming didn’t here because of lack of resources.

Riders of Icarus was fun for a while, but combat was tedious. LotRO is dated, mostly empty, but still OK.TERA seemed pretty good, but I had problems with it that GW2s design philosophy doesn’t allow for. Neverwinter seemed promising, but has gone pay to win according to reviews, so I didn’t bother returning.

The big thing though is that there is no reason to believe that any of these games will be better supported than GW2 in the future.

If a sub model is too expensive that means that WoW and FF XIV are out.

Of the games that I have any experience with that leaves ESO as an alternative, but I think only played that for a little under a month. At the time it gave me a feeling that I was playing alongside people, rather than with them. Apparently it got better. Will it be stronger than GW2 in two years time? I have no idea, but my guess is that they’ll be at similar levels.

In the end though, my most pessimistic outlook would see at least 3 years until GW2 gets into any trouble with losing its player base (unless the expansion is horrible in a way that is worse than anything they have done so far) so it is definitely not a waste of time building up your characters in GW2.

Posted by: Longshot.1237

Longshot.1237

I’m coming back after a 2 year break for personal reasons only to find that to even make legendary now your FORCED to PVP which is total BS since i like PVE i never liked PVP in any game!! It would have been ok if they kept the badges of honor instead of making you do there kitten PVP glad i found out before i wasted money on there overpriced expansion

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t know that I can agree with this completely. While it seems self-evident, there is something that called to this whole immediate gratification thing that teaches people to not really give something a chance.

Some of the best books I’ve ever read started slowly and I didn’t really enjoy them until the halfway mark, but I’d have been poorer for not having read them.

The first season of Babylon 5 was meh, but it turned out to be one of my favorite scifi series of all time.

There are plenty of people who come to this game from other games and “don’t get it” because its’ different from many other games. Not giving the game a chance, seems like what you’re advocating.

How many people come here and say it’s hard to level, or they’re bored, because they don’t really understand how the game is laid out or what they’re supposed to do.

Sure, if something isn’t fun over the long haul, by all means, get it out of your life. But there are plenty of things in my life that weren’t fun at first, but I perservered and they became more than I could have imagined.

I guess I’m an old guy. The need for instant gratification to me is something I think that’s a problem…one that’s not likely to go away.

While I understand your point, I think as far as MMO’s go, it is possible for those for whom a given MMO is not their first rodeo to pull the not-fun trigger sooner rather than later. For instance, I liked the story presentation in SWtOR a lot more than GW2’s (imo Anet could learn something from that game). However, after a short stint in beta I recognized that the game play in tOR was going to drive me bat kitten crazy as it was patterned after WoW’s — which I find dated and insipid. In fact, what keeps me in GW2 despite ANet’s many vigorous attempts to convince me to leave is this game’s game play.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m coming back after a 2 year break for personal reasons only to find that to even make legendary now your FORCED to PVP which is total BS since i like PVE i never liked PVP in any game!! It would have been ok if they kept the badges of honor instead of making you do there kitten PVP glad i found out before i wasted money on there overpriced expansion

What are you talking about Willis? You get legendary weapons the exact same way, where do you get the idea you need to do PvP?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

You can buy shards of glory on TP. Same with shards of battle. And that a really a unlogical way to judge a whole expansion by a one single trait.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Your post is unclear as to what you mean. If you’re talking about Shards of Glory, check the trading post, they sell for coppers. If you’re talking about the Gift of Battle, that’s been in the game since launch. However you can zerg around EotM and do very little PvP at all. You can also do WvW dailies where you kill a veteran mob or cap a Monument for no PvP.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I don’t think of WvW as PvP. Sure it happens but it’s easy to avoid in most cases and don’t let it get to you when it does. At least map completion/Gift of Exploration no longer needs WvW map completion to get.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes