in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

/15 forum bugs.

Is GW2 dying? Just a question, no hate

Posted by: Semris.7520

Semris.7520

Not sure about the dying part but for me it´s quite opposite. I have basically left the original game for several reasons and now I´m back… This expansion is epic and god I disliked the living word idea before (crappy small additions but often)…

Now if I could just force A-NET to reverse the WvW map changes; there I have truly loved the old borderland with the big central lake but I guess that is sadly a no go. :-)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The fact that Anet are actively encouraging streamers to post on Twitch instead may also explain the lack of Youtube videos:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/introducing-the-arenanet-streaming-calendar/

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I’ve put quite a bit of both time and money into the game, but I’m pretty much done with both. The haphazard nature of cost in the game kind of wore me down.

Sudden drops in time and effort required to gain things has left me feeling like I’ve wasted time I’ve already put in. Some of the HoT stuff was fun the first time, and the next couple, but I spent a lot of time grinding and that effort is pretty much wasted now. It isn’t that the changes are bad, just that I’ve ended up on the wrong side of the time and money RNG roll one time too many at this point. Specialization cost, hero point acquisition, aurillium, crystalline ore…

Then on the other side, I had just started doing fractals when the scales changed and levels 1 to 50 are now an rewarding grind to levels 51+. I’m ground out. I don’t feel like doing the 7 fractals to get to 51 to make running fractals worthwhile on my main, let alone the 30 and 50 I’d have to do on my alt accounts.

The WvW blob meta has taken the fun out of that game mode for me. Take away playing that and I don’t have a reason to buy anything, since I won’t use it.

I’ve just reached a point where I’m tired of not knowing if time and money I put into the game is going to be worthwhile.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

They’re still making money from it with the F2P model, but it’s a different audience.

But most of the core players since the release like me are playing other games and waiting to see if Anet brings more endgame content to this game before coming back.

The fact that I didn’t play this game since last December but still come here to see whats happening speaks a bit about how much the core players feel they have invested in it.

A GvG system, new dungeons, difficulty settings and an unnerf to rewards/drops would save this game in my opinion, but it just feels like Anet is taking forever just to get anything done. They’re probably focused on developing their next game and are just trying to milk GW2 as much as possible.

The sad truth is that the game was better 2 years ago than it is now. The new trait system completely ruined the class balance and a lack of vision ruined the game in general.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Gw2 is dying just as much as we all are; from the millisecond you are born, you are dying.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They’re still making money from it with the F2P model, but it’s a different audience.

But most of the core players since the release like me are playing other games and waiting to see if Anet brings more endgame content to this game before coming back.

The fact that I didn’t play this game since last December but still come here to see whats happening speaks a bit about how much the core players feel they have invested in it.

A GvG system, new dungeons, difficulty settings and an unnerf to rewards/drops would save this game in my opinion, but it just feels like Anet is taking forever just to get anything done. They’re probably focused on developing their next game and are just trying to milk GW2 as much as possible.

The sad truth is that the game was better 2 years ago than it is now. The new trait system completely ruined the class balance and a lack of vision ruined the game in general.

Unnerf to rewards and drops? I don’t know what game you’re playing, but this game has never been more profitable, particularly if you own HoT. The game pretty much throws loot at you.

There are many complaints about the game, some legit, some not so much, but the loot situation is pretty solid right now.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Gw2 is dying just as much as we all are; from the millisecond you are born, you are dying.

This guy gets it – deep and edgy doe XDDD. The game is stale no amount of megaserver, server link/merge is going to fix that. development moves at a snail pace.

Nor are they linking servers or considering any merges because of a lack of players, since the WvW population is larger than it was for some time. (You can find the Dev quotes addressing this issue in the WvW sub-forum).

yes please let me take thier word for it after " we will release a whole set of legendaries with expac – jk it “too much effort right now” in the mean time though we will be releasing skins on a regular basis in the gem store"

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: gavyne.6847

gavyne.6847

I’d say it’s on a low, not dying. I’ve seen MMO’s die, some slowly, some quickly. GW2’s got quite a lot going for it still. But there’s no doubt this game is at its low at the moment.

-The HoT expansion hype is long gone. There isn’t much to play for unless you really want to grind for Legendaries, and majority of the gamers that play GW2 won’t bother with it. And let’s face it, GW2 endgame PvE isn’t exactly its strength.

-sPvP is still as unpopular as ever, pro tourney esports viewership still low. There’s just no excitement to PvP, no new maps, no new game modes, conquest have and will always be stale and boring compared to deathmatch & capture the flag.

-WvW saw resurgence when Alpine made its comeback. Though the hype died down a bit, we’re back to cramming into EBG leaving Alpine fairly queue-less outside of reset nights and weekends. Guilds are still hurting, it’s still hard to recruit good players to fill their ranks and thus many guilds have already decided to move on to other games. Anet decided long ago they weren’t going to cater to GvG, forgetting that guilds are the backbone to longevity of PvP game modes.

With WoW Legion coming out in a couple of months, ESO/BDO launching with expansions/content, Battlefield 1 (fps genre I know but it’ll take my time away), Anet has limited time to keep people interested in GW2.

This isn’t to say people won’t leave and come back. GW2 is F2P so it’ll always be a game people can fall back to. But whenever people leave for other games or stop playing, they aren’t spending money here, and that’s what affects Anet more than anything else. When people don’t spend as much money, it’ll affect Anet’s development cycles and quality of content getting developed.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

blizzard comes out with more content than this :P All anet can do is “past gem items rereleased!, gliders!”

They should release hairstyles, bodyshapes, tattoos & faces more than they do gliders and outfits imo. I think they’d do better in the content area. That’s atleast very mild content & a step in the right direction.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

That’s pretty disingenuous comparing Anet to Blizzard.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Lack of content, and raids only = Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Such long gaps, people just drift away and they don’t come back.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Vayne.8563

Lack of content, and raids only = Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Such long gaps, people just drift away and they don’t come back.

People don’t come back? How many people? Which people? How many compared to other games.

In my experience, and it’s just my experience, plenty of people do come back to play this game. Obviously not everyone does.

However, it stands to reason that if you have few barriers to entry, then more people will come back than less. This game has removed many of the barriers to entry other games experience.

There’s no sub fee. There’s no new level cap. There’s no new tiers of gear. This means any people can jump in and play if they want, pretty much right away.

Posted by: Mentor.4130

Mentor.4130

When you see zealot supporters dissapointed in Anets actions and spending time in other games then there is “Something rotten in the state of Denmark”/Tyria.

(edited by Mentor.4130)

Vayne.8563

When you see zealot supporters dissapointed in Anets actions and spending time in other games then there is “Something rotten in the state of Denmark”/Tyria.

Dying games have less complaints by percentage, because people tend to know they’re dying. WoW has always had tons of complaints, even at it’s height. Your point?

Mentor.4130

Dying games have less complaints by percentage, because people tend to know they’re dying. WoW has always had tons of complaints, even at it’s height. Your point?

Shame GW2 doesn’t have more supporters like you. If you don’t stop bleeding you will eventualy die. And there are problems right now with many things in GW2.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Some of us we are w8ing ppl that delete their post history , to be used as ’’fuel’’ when some x-pansions will be released and come here to pound their chest once more :P
They wont evenr link how many ppl they have = we wont feel bad :P

If we didnt have the chance to serve 3 ppl , or hate 3 ppl (sink our teeth in their skin) then some minor candles can be used instead :P

My dear candle

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Vayne.8563

Shame GW2 doesn’t have more supporters like you. If you don’t stop bleeding you will eventualy die. And there are problems right now with many things in GW2.

Evidence? Because last I saw Guild Wars 2 was still making 8 million dollars a month. I assure you that’s not all me. lol

Mentor.4130

According to their actions it seams not enough, imo. But we will see if they manage to keep same income in future.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Evidence? Because last I saw Guild Wars 2 was still making 8 million dollars a month. I assure you that’s not all me. lol

Guild Wars 2 has a churn and burn playerbase.

Older players get bored and leave, new ones take their place.

The only people who stick around longer than a few months are people (like myself) who feel they have invested too much to give up on the game…. but the content is and has been stale for a really REALLY long time.

I find myself logging in…. and wanting to play so badly…. yet find myself bored to tears in a matter of moments and logging out.

Anet knows its playerbase has declined quite a bit, and has gone to great lengths to attempt to hide it.

Megaservers, and pvp matchmaking specifically are perfect examples of Anet attempting to mask the steady decline in player population.

Player population can still be observed by checking out the starting areas (where new players enter the world for the first time) and witnessing how utterly and completely devoid of life they are. (unless of course a daily mission or mega event happens to be there)

If your veteran players are getting bored and leaving…. but its painfully obvious that there is an extreme shortage of new players coming into the game…. you are losing population.

Anet even made the game free to play, and if that isn’t a wake up call for anyone who has played an mmo that your game desperately needs population, idk what is.

The bottom line is…. even if you are one of the players who refuses to quit…. there just isn’t enough to do in the game to keep people entertained and playing. New players get burned out fairly quickly…. and most of the vet community thats still playing (because they don’t mind playing the same content over and over and over and over again as long as they are doing it with their friends), are getting more out of the company they keep moreso than out of the game they are playing…. and once they realize that they move onto a different game.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

the only reason i keep coming back is because i have yet to find another fantasy game with the awesome combat gw2 has. i will not waste anymore money or invest time in grinding into this game. wvw will be my end content until, anet decides to bring back the desert borderlands and then ill be done.

anet pretty much pushed away a lot of players since the release of hot with all the grinding require. a lot of my friends from wvw guilds have also stop playing since the release of the desert borderlands.

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

Posted by: Karmapolice.4193

Karmapolice.4193

I came back for Super Adventure Box but besides that, haven’t really played since sometime last year. I keep checking back, but, no content except raids? Ha, no thanks.

Vayne.8563

The only people who stick around longer than a few months are people (like myself) who feel they have invested too much to give up on the game…. but the content is and has been stale for a really REALLY long time.

I find myself logging in…. and wanting to play so badly…. yet find myself bored to tears in a matter of moments and logging out.

Anet knows its playerbase has declined quite a bit, and has gone to great lengths to attempt to hide it.

Megaservers, and pvp matchmaking specifically are perfect examples of Anet attempting to mask the steady decline in player population.

Player population can still be observed by checking out the starting areas (where new players enter the world for the first time) and witnessing how utterly and completely devoid of life they are. (unless of course a daily mission or mega event happens to be there)

If your veteran players are getting bored and leaving…. but its painfully obvious that there is an extreme shortage of new players coming into the game…. you are losing population.

Anet even made the game free to play, and if that isn’t a wake up call for anyone who has played an mmo that your game desperately needs population, idk what is.

The bottom line is…. even if you are one of the players who refuses to quit…. there just isn’t enough to do in the game to keep people entertained and playing. New players get burned out fairly quickly…. and most of the vet community thats still playing (because they don’t mind playing the same content over and over and over and over again as long as they are doing it with their friends), are getting more out of the company they keep moreso than out of the game they are playing…. and once they realize that they move onto a different game.

You saying something doesn’t make it true. There are plenty of people who still have stuff to do after years. Really I promise.

There are people who casually go about making legendaries or high end weapons and armor. There are farmers who love to farm. And do nothing else. There are people who play because they love their guild. I’m one of them.

Saying that people have nothing to do is simply wrong. Some people sure. You for sure.

But talk for yourself. Because you don’t have the numbers. And you don’t know what Anet knows any more than I do.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

You saying something doesn’t make it true. There are plenty of people who still have stuff to do after years. Really I promise.

There are people who casually go about making legendaries or high end weapons and armor. There are farmers who love to farm. And do nothing else. There are people who play because they love their guild. I’m one of them.

Saying that people have nothing to do is simply wrong. Some people sure. You for sure.

But talk for yourself. Because you don’t have the numbers. And you don’t know what Anet knows any more than I do.

I just read the post you quoted. I put as much faith in anyone claiming to speak for, “most of,” the community, or who claims to know the thoughts and preferences of, “most of,” the community, as I do in the promises of a career politician in election week.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I’d say it’s on a low, not dying. I’ve seen MMO’s die, some slowly, some quickly. GW2’s got quite a lot going for it still. But there’s no doubt this game is at its low at the moment.

-The HoT expansion hype is long gone. There isn’t much to play for unless you really want to grind for Legendaries, and majority of the gamers that play GW2 won’t bother with it. And let’s face it, GW2 endgame PvE isn’t exactly its strength.

-sPvP is still as unpopular as ever, pro tourney esports viewership still low. There’s just no excitement to PvP, no new maps, no new game modes, conquest have and will always be stale and boring compared to deathmatch & capture the flag.

-WvW saw resurgence when Alpine made its comeback. Though the hype died down a bit, we’re back to cramming into EBG leaving Alpine fairly queue-less outside of reset nights and weekends. Guilds are still hurting, it’s still hard to recruit good players to fill their ranks and thus many guilds have already decided to move on to other games. Anet decided long ago they weren’t going to cater to GvG, forgetting that guilds are the backbone to longevity of PvP game modes.

With WoW Legion coming out in a couple of months, ESO/BDO launching with expansions/content, Battlefield 1 (fps genre I know but it’ll take my time away), Anet has limited time to keep people interested in GW2.

This isn’t to say people won’t leave and come back. GW2 is F2P so it’ll always be a game people can fall back to. But whenever people leave for other games or stop playing, they aren’t spending money here, and that’s what affects Anet more than anything else. When people don’t spend as much money, it’ll affect Anet’s development cycles and quality of content getting developed.

I agree with this. I’ve recently been playing alot more, and what i’m finding is that the new HoT zones are pretty barren, for the most part. Meta events are pretty much “every once in a while”. Which is terrible, because at launch, you couldn’t get into, or find a HoT map that had decent coordination.

I think the game is still fun. I think the legendary grind is still something to do, and i don’t think the game is exactly dying, but more so in a state of stasis, to see if ANet learns from past mistakes. For example: As beautiful, and well thought out that the HoT zones are, it all really just became a complicated mess of “stuff” that no one one really wanted to do, unless they can zerg it..which is kinda not happening all that much anymore.

They did nerf mob damage, so thats nice. I can ACTUALLY go into those zones now and move around a bit. Before, it was STUN > CONDI > STUN > 100XCONDIs > dead > kthnxbai. Meanwhile Morde’s minions are laughin it up. Too bad they laughed too much, and drove the a good chuck of the fanbase to other games, before they were nerfed into reasonable killing range. And ya know, what irks me, is that they did that due to the hardcore kids saying they wanted a challenge. Where are these people now? Well, they got mad over the gemstore and quit (or they’re off raiding). So now you have a game that doesn’t cater to the casual fanbase, and i’m sorry, but thats like 80% of the fanbase of any online game.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Vayne.8563

I just read the post you quoted. I put as much faith in anyone claiming to speak for, “most of,” the community, or who claims to know the thoughts and preferences of, “most of,” the community, as I do in the promises of a career politician in election week.

He’s saying the ONLY people who stick around are people who feel they have too much vested in the game to leave. Aside from the fact that no one has numbers of how many that demographic is, I’m sticking around for other reasons, so the statement is demonstrably false.

Making sweeping statements is will generally (but not always) end in error.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

He’s saying the ONLY people who stick around are people who feel they have too much vested in the game to leave. Aside from the fact that no one has numbers of how many that demographic is, I’m sticking around for other reasons, so the statement is demonstrably false.

Yup, I was agreeing with you.

Posted by: Follyfoot.2803

Follyfoot.2803

If GW2 is dying, then MMO’s are dying. As for all it’s little misgiving’s GW2 is still the best overall online experience out there.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

We’re all dying……. but hopefully not for a loooonnngggg time : )

Posted by: Lumberjackth.3764

Lumberjackth.3764

Were all dying Niño games come and go. Gw2 still here will be here longer then me prolly.

Vayne.8563

Yup, I was agreeing with you.

lol. I thought you were calling me a politician, my bad.

Vayne.8563

If GW2 is dying, then MMO’s are dying. As for all it’s little misgiving’s GW2 is still the best overall online experience out there.

Arguably MMO RPGS are dying, having been replaced by mobas for many people. There was a time when Mobas didn’t exist, and this was the dominant multiplayer genre. No more.

And consoles take a big hit out of the number of people playing computer games, where most MMOs reside.

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

I’ve been playing since launch and just from observation it seems like less people every few months. On the bright side by 2018 we should have a very tight community of 1200 regulars.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

Not really sure how any of us can give an objective answer to that question, OP. YouTube viewing figures are not an accurate measurement of a game’s health.

No one here except Anet staff can give you figures for current player numbers (if that’s what you’re after), and even then, those numbers may be fairly meaningless to us as players. What are we going to do with them? "Oh, it only has 1 million* active accounts, it’s clearly not as popular as X game," or "oh wow! 1 million active accounts! Clearly it’s much more popular than X game." Only by being in game and experiencing it can you decide if there’s life in it or not.

*Arbitrary internet number. Not to be taken as factual.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Raxzor.5946

Raxzor.5946

The lack of content is killing the game. The only content that has come since November are raids, a large percentage of the player base just don’t do them. And are getting mad that Anet seem to be moving away from the core design philosophy of ‘Play your way’.

Posted by: femalehumanmeta.8351

femalehumanmeta.8351

I doubt the game is “dying”, but the player base has unarguably dropped off since launch. How much? Only Anet knows, and they’re definitely not going to be making those figures public.

There are three obvious changes to the game since launch that indicate the player base has decreased. Megaservers, wvw server merging, and the game going F2P. You could also make an argument that login rewards and changes to the daily system are also indicative of player population issues, but those changes aren’t as obvious.

Vayne.8563

I doubt the game is “dying”, but the player base has unarguably dropped off since launch. How much? Only Anet knows, and they’re definitely not going to be making those figures public.

There are three obvious changes to the game since launch that indicate the player base has decreased. Megaservers, wvw server merging, and the game going F2P. You could also make an argument that login rewards and changes to the daily system are also indicative of player population issues, but those changes aren’t as obvious.

The megaservers solved a problem. That problem was is that people were guesting to busier servers, like TC and on other servers, people who didn’t guest, were stuck with less people. Does this necessarily indicate a drop in overall population. No. It MIGHT indicate that, it’s simply a conclusion you can’t logically draw.

The WvW issue has been here since launch. Server transfers were free at launch. Completely free. Most serious WvW players went to T1 or T2 servers. There have been servers languishing in this state for 3 years. Please explain how merging those low pop servers with more populated ones indicates a drop in population.

Free to play also doesn’t indicate a drop in players. It indicates a drop in new players coming in. That has nothing to do with existing population.

From a logical standpoint, none of these changes directly call to the population of the game.

On the other hand, most games that have significant population drops also have significant drops in income and usually layoffs follow. That hasn’t happened here.

The population of this game has fluctuated since the early days. The deadest I ever remember seeing this game is a few months after launch. People hit max level, didn’t have anything to do, came to the forums to complain about it, and left in droves. Then Anet introduced ascended accessories and a bunch of players got really angry that that introduction, saw it as a personal attack on their play style and many people left. That was the least populated I can ever remember this game.

From my point of view the game is more populated now than back then.

Every time there’s a pause in content, the population dips and every time new content comes out, the population goes back up. It’s not always the same people, but as time goes on, Anet has done a decent job of replacing those who left with new players.

I’m consistently getting new players for me guild now. There are new player posts on reddit almost every day, probably at about the speed they’ve always been.

However, map chat and the official forums are going to be more quiet, since free to play players can’t post in either.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

The lack of content is killing the game. The only content that has come since November are raids, a large percentage of the player base just don’t do them. And are getting mad that Anet seem to be moving away from the core design philosophy of ‘Play your way’.

I’m intrigued by how a lack of something can kill something else.
Like.. lack of oxygen – you’d suffocate
Lack of gravity – you’d drift to burn up in the atmosphere. Unless gravity creates that in which case you’d float off into space where lack of oxygen would kill you. Unless you imploded or exploded first. Or managed to survive all that and fell into a star. Or hit a rock.
Lack of food – starve to death.
Lack of water – dehydrate to death.
Lack of things to do – bored to death.
Lack of medical care – sick to death.

What kind of death are we talking here?

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

femalehumanmeta.8351

If you think the game is more populated now than at launch, why does Anet not give us more concrete player population numbers like the peak concurrent user figures they included in their “the first year” blog post? It’s definitely not because there are more people playing the game.

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

Logged on a few days ago into LA, ALOT of people but no one speaking at all for a good 30 minutes, if you logged in before HoT or shortly after you would gave had many random people talking to each other about anything but now.

I believe that there are fewer players , it may look crowded but some of this will be due to newer players trying the game but who won’t stay long.

Posted by: Taglor Anwamane.9468

Taglor Anwamane.9468

My GW2 world started taking a sharp decline with the introduction of megaservers. I am an RPer, and the fracturing of my community was devastating. Guild halls, while pretty cool, are another nail in the same coffin, since even fewer people RP out in the world, and the world has lost the living feel that it once had. Living Story helps with that, but only so much.
Raids, fractals, legendary goose chases, they do nothing for me. We need story, both instanced and open-world. We need purpose. We need a world, not a theme park. And we also need RP to be recognized properly, because people actively participating do more for that living world feel than a thousand cardboard-cutout NPCs. ESO, TOR, countless other games handle it better. And ANet could do the same, if they just chose to. An LFG tab for RP is borderline useless and really just screams “we’re out of touch with this group.” What could be of use (and profit) is more appearance options, reasonably priced advanced emote packs, some way for RPers to share a map and anti-RPers to avoid them, and content/lorebuilding that lends itself to a world that is alive.
I can’t speak for everyone, but for my people at least, we don’t want more hoops to jump through chasing shiny loot and bragging-rights rewards. We want to be in a world that is as compelling to think about in its downtime as it is in the height of battle.
Even setting that issue aside, though, there needs to be more content that is accessible by all people. Worthwhile content. Story. The kind of story and plot development that HoT tried to have, before its storyline took a nosedive directly into the trash heap.

(edited by Taglor Anwamane.9468)

Vayne.8563

If you think the game is more populated now than at launch, why does Anet not give us more concrete player population numbers like the peak concurrent user figures they included in their “the first year” blog post? It’s definitely not because there are more people playing the game.

First of all I never ever used the word at launch. That’s really not the issue. People are saying the game’s population is declining, but there’s little to no evidence of it. It’s declining since the day everyone logged in at the same time to try a new game? Of course it is. That’s not really the discussion though.

Launch numbers in every modern MMO are going to be higher than any other time in the games life. This is true of pretty much all entertainment. I was in the publishing industry and 90% of all books sell 90% of the copies they ever sell in the first 90 days. That’s a staggering statistic. Games sell when they’re new, and they they go down in price to try to sell more, to get the people who won’t pay full price to buy too. In the case of MMOs they go free to play. Why? Because everyone who wanted it has already bought it. Now you have to get more people to try it.

The conversation is is the population declining say from last year. Well last year at this time, the game population was likely lower because at that point it wasn’t free to play.

Once a game goes free to play, logically the numbers go up some.

As I said in my posts, the game population fluctuates depending on when the new content comes out. Raiders will come back for raids, story people will come back for living story and PvPers come back to play for the season rewards.

When they made changes to WvW lots of WvW people showed up to see what the changes were like.

It’s not rocket science.

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

It seems this game is changing its name to Raid Wars 2, with less normal game content, limited access to BIS gear, raid mentality, etc. I can see why people start to think that this game is dying. Hopefully Anet will realize this is the wrong path to take.

Posted by: Taglor Anwamane.9468

Taglor Anwamane.9468

It seems this game is changing its name to Raid Wars 2, with less normal game content, limited access to BIS gear, raid mentality, etc. I can see why people start to think that this game is dying. Hopefully Anet will realize this is the wrong path to take.

Seriously. 8 months with nothing substantial added but raids. I for one don’t want to see another word said about raids until we see some better forms of content.

Vayne.8563

Seriously. 8 months with nothing substantial added but raids. I for one don’t want to see another word said about raids until we see some better forms of content.

Unless you’re a WvW player or a PvP player. So three of four groups of players have had content after a much longer drought for them. Most of the other dynamics, including not enough hard content group have been complaining for years. What there hasn’t been is content for my demographic.

And that will resume with the new living story season.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Anet has never given those numbers, so concluding there is a correlation between them releasing those numbers and the health of the game is bad.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I started this game when it first came out, played on a server that said “Full”, and then the server died… quite literally. Over the span of about a month, I wasn’t seeing a single person anywhere and that’s when I realized the server had officially become so empty that I would have to delete my character and pick a different one. I picked a different server that said “Full”, and then I stopped playing for about 2 years. I came back recently, and the server that I had picked is also dead. I’m not trying to be negative here… I’m merely stating my experience.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Lack of things to do – bored to death.

You answered your own question

LMFAOOOOO thats a good joke for the day.

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Vayne.8563

Anet has never given those numbers, so concluding there is a correlation between them releasing those numbers and the health of the game is bad.

But regardless it’s not the conversation. If you use that as a criteria, most games are dying, even successful ones.

The Harry Potter books and movies were really successful and no one would say they weren’t No one could even really say Harry Potter is dying. But the amount of sales of the books and the movies at this time is miniscule compared to how many were sold when they released.

The numbers at launch don’t really speak to the health of the game, or whether something is dying as was put forth in the OP.

The question of whether it’s dying or not…well, Wildstar is dying. We can tell from sales figures. We can tell from layoffs. We can tell from the cancellation of the game moving into new regions. That’s how you can tell if a game is dying.

Lacklustre sales of a single expansion doesn’t indicate a game is dying. The real trick is, in how the game will be doing in a year. Two years.

A games success or failure has less to with with more or less playing and everything to do with the expectations of the business. That’s what business plans are for.

As for the number of people playing, it’s always going to fluctuate, depending on content releases. I’m sure we have more PvPers playing now than will be playing on July 13th for example after the season ends.

But we probably have less people showing up for other things like world bosses.

The new PvE content comes out and people will come to play it. If the game was dying that wouldn’t happen.

femalehumanmeta.8351

The blog post I linked do include those numbers. At the peak of the games popularity, during the first year, there were 460k concurrent users. Anet haven’t released concrete player population numbers like that since.

I’m not bashing the game, I like the game. Still do. I preordered hot and got my money’s worth, but to deny the changes they’ve made over the years like introducing megaservers (just a fancy word for server merging), wvw server merging, and the game going f2p (it’s not a coincidence they announced f2p after ncsofts most recent quarterly earnings report at the time had gw2 revenue at it’s lowest since launch), being a direct result of player population issues.

Only Anet knows how much the player population has dropped off, but it should be obvious to most that it has happened.