Is GW2 dying? Just a question, no hate

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Roundman da Kind.6253

Roundman da Kind.6253

What do I see? I see a bunch of players that want rewards without “time spent”. I see so much about no new content.. It’s weird to me that people want the best stuff for their meager investment of play cause “well I just deserve it”. I have 7 full suits of Ascended armor and 3 are full Celestial, over 30 of the ascended weapons, Runes and sigils that are 25 gold apiece and many of them.. 1300 gold and materials to choke a dragon.. Am I a good player? No. I’m old, my hands are crippled (no feelings) so jumping isn’t my thing. I play PvE only.. So how in the world could I have done all this? Time spent.. Time spent learning how to overcome problems I have found.. The Elite armor and weapons were good but I couldn’t survive to beat champs. I read that ascended armor can give you a 20% advantage over elites so I became a master crafter (Grand Artisan title). Now I’m a better player. GW2 is a game built for “time spent”.. I don’t want drops by chance and I’m thankful that I don’t need anything BUT player vs. the world. Spend time my friends, hangout, build a legend with your time. Stop complaining and enjoy yourself. If this old man can do, so much think of how much more you can do being young and smart. Life is work, reward is sweet.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

What do I see? I see a bunch of players that want rewards without “time spent”. I see so much about no new content.. It’s weird to me that people want the best stuff for their meager investment of play cause “well I just deserve it”. I have 7 full suits of Ascended armor and 3 are full Celestial, over 30 of the ascended weapons, Runes and sigils that are 25 gold apiece and many of them.. 1300 gold and materials to choke a dragon.. Am I a good player? No. I’m old, my hands are crippled (no feelings) so jumping isn’t my thing. I play PvE only.. So how in the world could I have done all this? Time spent.. Time spent learning how to overcome problems I have found.. The Elite armor and weapons were good but I couldn’t survive to beat champs. I read that ascended armor can give you a 20% advantage over elites so I became a master crafter (Grand Artisan title). Now I’m a better player. GW2 is a game built for “time spent”.. I don’t want drops by chance and I’m thankful that I don’t need anything BUT player vs. the world. Spend time my friends, hangout, build a legend with your time. Stop complaining and enjoy yourself. If this old man can do, so much think of how much more you can do being young and smart. Life is work, reward is sweet.

How unfortunate that you chose to spoil what was otherwise a perfectly good message by beginning with your assumptions regarding the character of other players. If that’s what you’re hearing, you haven’t been listening. If they want something for nothing, it’s only because they have no desire to work toward an objective if it involves playing HoT!

Personally, I love HoT. I signed up for this game 6 months ago and I’ve already put in a lot of time in the game. In addition, I’ve become a daily contributor here on the forums. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for HoT. So it does bother me a little, I think, when other players trash the expansion from the perspective of a person who took one look at it and walked away.

What you say about overcoming obstacles and working toward objectives is highly relevant to me. I was new to the game and not just HoT when I arrived there. So naturally, I fell flat on my face when I first entered the jungle. But I was determined to give it a chance and I really wanted to persevere – over both the enemies and the environment!

I imagine some of the players with complaints about HoT could have learned to love it, but were so turned off by the harsh landing they just never really got comfortable with it. There are still plenty of players who haven’t managed to learn their way around TD, for instance. Why? Because they never go there unless they absolutely have to.

That isn’t being lazy. They’re just legitimately intimidated by the place! Initially, it’s an unruly maze crawling with monsters trying to kill you. That sounds like a lot of fun to me in a game like this, but not everyone is so keen on it. I can’t really blame them for wanting the rewards, but wishing they could work toward them anywhere but HoT.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I am more than willing to work for what I want. I do expect that said work, if it’s in my hobby or pass time, should be enjoyable. I don’t mind farming. Can even find it to be fun under the right circumstances. I enjoyed accumulating dozens of stacks of ectos in GW1. But, if the task is completely unenjoyable then I’m generally not going to do it as part of my limited play time.

I think that it is worth pointing out that no one posting here is asking for something for nothing. We all had to pay for the game in order to have forum posting privileges. If you pay for something then nothing within it is gained for “nothing.”

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

None of which answers the question posed in the title. Is Guild Wars 2 dying? Nope. Not even close to dying.

We’ve seen dying games. We’ve seen mass layoffs, we’ve seen no updates, we’ve seen no new stuff coming out at all (as opposed to this game which has focused on raids and WvW stuff for a while) but none of this looks like a dying game.

The last quarterly report showed the game taking in 8 million dollars a month. Living Story Season 2 is coming in days.

None of this speaks of a dying game.

Some people want more or different content, but that has nothing to do with dying.

I mean in a year or two, it might be different, but right now, there’s a lot actually going on, even if it doesn’t call to your particular area of the game.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

None of which answers the question posed in the title. Is Guild Wars 2 dying? Nope. Not even close to dying.

Yeah, I was responding more to…

What do I see? I see a bunch of players that want rewards without “time spent”.

…than to the title of the thread.

It seems pretty obvious, to me at least, that the game isn’t actually dying. It seems so patently obvious that I almost take the initial question to be rhetorical or some sort of oddity like asking how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Nah it’s not dying. It’s chilling for a bit because no new content, but it’s not dying. I’m expecting the game’ll light up like a christmas tree with the next patch, provided there’s plenty of content.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Vayne.8563

Yeah, I was responding more to…

What do I see? I see a bunch of players that want rewards without “time spent”.

…than to the title of the thread.

It seems pretty obvious, to me at least, that the game isn’t actually dying. It seems so patently obvious that I almost take the initial question to be rhetorical or some sort of oddity like asking how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.

The problem is, it’s not obvious to everyone. There are people who have stated all sorts of stuff on these forums that don’t know it, even though it’s obviously untrue, so if the thread is going to keep going, it pays to point out that it’s probably not the best place to discuss something that’s not really the question expressed here, I think.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

It doesn’t appear to be dying to me. I do hope Mo can take us in a new more positive direction with the next expansion.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The problem with measuring the game’s vitality using youtubers as a metric is their experience with the game is vastly different to normal players. Popular youtubers and streamers have their audience to support them. They never have a problem finding groups to do literally anything from popular content to obscure content. They also receive a lot of free gold and items from adoring fans to help them craft legendaries and junk.

This amounts to youtubers clearing GW2 content a lot faster than normal, and when they finish everything they get bored. Just look at Wooden Potatoes. He’s got full ascended with maxed out infusions and every type of legendary his elementalist can wield. He even goes WAY out of his way to find new things to do such as imposing a convoluted list of limitations and rules to add a new challenge to leveling alts or clearing dungeons. I don’t blame him at all for switching to other games during the content drought because it must be mind numbing trying to squeeze those extra drops of juice out of this depleted melon.

Posted by: Mackanstein.2503

Mackanstein.2503

I think numbers will go up soon again. I’ve personally been on a long break from the game after I completed what I wanted to do in HoT. With no interest in raids I was happy to let my characters rest for a while. Now I came back just yesterday after seeing the LS3 trailer.

GW2 is nice like that. I can take a hiatus then come back without the feeling that I’m behind in any way or that I’ve been missing out. Hearing that White Mantle came back in the latest raid wing got me pondering raiding though, but now that they’ll appear in LS as well I’m all happy.

So yeah, if there’s more people like me out there, they’re sure to come back for this.

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

its very easy to tell the mmorpg world is also a little war between other mmorpg games

most big mmorpg games like WOW SWTOR B&S Star trek and more always have almost ad the same time a big update

so the companies try to get more players that way
when we get LS3 SWTOR is busy with a new update as well

its just who play the cards right

and some players quit because they wanna try something new you always have that

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Again, the game is not dying . . . it’s just that there’s not much to do if you’ve already done it all. That said, once you lose a player’s attention, it can be hell to regain it.

Lots of play pretties out there to distract anyone with ADHD these days.

Gone to Reddit.

Vayne.8563

Again, the game is not dying . . . it’s just that there’s not much to do if you’ve already done it all. That said, once you lose a player’s attention, it can be hell to regain it.

Lots of play pretties out there to distract anyone with ADHD these days.

That’s why most MMOs focus on new players and getting players back. After a while, you end up with a core gaming group and everyone else is a new player or a returning player. I’ve never been in an MMO where it was otherwise.

People get bored and leave every MMO I’ve ever played.

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Every game dies eventually

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

Posted by: zomgbuffalo.5276

zomgbuffalo.5276

Lol. Short answer: No.
To expand this a bit further, a lot of players are coming back. And the reason might be the new season of pvp and living world. With it we also expect a new balance patch which will make things better even further, if done right. There’s enough content to be satisfied and I literally find something to do every day. People who say there’s no content to do and they’re bored are either burned out from nolifing this game 24/7 and aren’t creative enough to find something to do or they are just little troll kittens who will always find excuses and troll the crap out of you.

Game is alive, yo.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No, it’s not dying. Yet anyway. On the other hand, it doesn’t seem to be growing either, and is currently in the stagnation stage. Even desperate maneuvers like introducing Raids didn’t seem to help in that regard (and might have hurt the game more than they helped it).

Granted, there are definitely a lot of games that would wish to have GW2’s current population.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Game will pick steam again when LS3 comes and the new WvW team are gonna make WvW great again^^

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

I dont think there is nothing to do, in fact quite the opposite there is loads to do… Thing is they all equate to the same thing, currency sink. Everything to do is about how to spend gold/karma/luarals/ etc… So There are loads of events on GW2 and in HOT, there only existence is to provide a way to achieve loot for the crafting… thats the only content in this game, looting for crafting.

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

No, it’s not dying. Yet anyway. On the other hand, it doesn’t seem to be growing either, and is currently in the stagnation stage. Even desperate maneuvers like introducing Raids didn’t seem to help in that regard (and might have hurt the game more than they helped it).

Granted, there are definitely a lot of games that would wish to have GW2’s current population.

You heard it here first everybuddy. People are leaving the game in droves because there are raids in the game.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Game will pick steam again when LS3 comes and the new WvW team are gonna make WvW great again^^

I can’t wait to see the huge WvW overhaul they’ve been working over a year on. It must be a complete game changer and it is going to bring so many people back, hopefully the GvG scene as well will return.

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

No. (short answer)
GW2 was experiencing a content drought- alot of players are sitting back from this game for a while, because they can (And return when they want to!)
A new Living World chapter is coming our way 07/26/16… this should keep most occupied and playing until they burn through it in a week…just kidding!
Mo has set into motion a different way of delivering content that should refresh the game.
No hate. Just play!

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

The game is dying as fast as a 20-year-old entering his career choice.

NSPride <3

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

why would it be dying at all? all MMOs go through stages ir more and less content, amd population changes with them.
but gw2 is still filled with players, why would anyone think it is dying?

Posted by: Hume.2876

Hume.2876

It’s not dying and new content is a really a computer science problem.

The content in these kind of MMOs has to be handcrafted – and that costs a lot of money and time. So no game will ever have enough ‘content’ to please people.. Unless we develop some sophisticated AI that can create good content..

So for a game developer its all about – how much content do I add? How much grind to I create? What kind of grind do I create? (Difficulty vs. Simple Length) in relation to the cost. If I spend x amount on content – what amount of money will I make? How does this scale? Difficult questions..

I think actually GW2 is one of the best at doing this correctly. They do more with less. A game like WoW spends a lot more on development – but doesn’t really have the replay ability this game has..

Of course other developers have caught on and are making games like Overwatch which make better use of development dollars.. But in the MMO space GW2 is pretty good..

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

PvE will come back to live when LS3 hits.

PvP has been dying more every season I I suspect season 4 will be the lowest population season yet.

WvW…well, I never see anyone there when I do my dailies so idk.

Posted by: Shaedra.5093

Shaedra.5093

I have been playing games for over 20 years, some were just text based but they were still fun at the time. I have played EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, Anarchy, Rift and a few others. All i hear on their forums is how PvP sucks and how good PvE is compared to each other. I don’t do PvP probably because it wasn’t as good. I really don’t care for it but i know there are those who do. The whole point is that its hard to please everyone all of the time. PvE and PVP each have a set of behaviors that is built into the game. Part of the game is how to best use those behaviors to set yourself above the others. If you can’t do that, there is no reason to cry to the rest of us, just change how you do things.
I can’t say i like the crafting system or for that matter the short termed buffs we get. I much preferred the 4 or 5 hour long buffs of EQ, but we don’t have them and it is more of a challenge to work with what we have rather than complain all the time. It is more rewarding to me to finally figure out how to kill the enemy faster and easier using what i have.
Is this game dying? No, there are still full servers and lots of people doing PvE. If you are tired of PvP try PvE. Got all your crafting maxed out? It is nice and personally rewarding to be able to make your own gear. There are options! They may not appeal to everyone but they are there!
The game is not dying!

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

I got bored of playing. Now that I have a HTC Vive, I don’t really play as much, if I was playing much before that. I could try the Vive with Guild Wars 2.

I doubt the game is dying, hardly. And I bet people will come back on when the next big thing hits the servers, or the holidays.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Amarus.4297

Amarus.4297

Every product has a lifecycle. I mainly enjoy pve and gaining levels by the random events. I’ve found this to be the best part of pve for me. I’m leveling my last two toons, trying out the new class.

I quite two years ago now and only been playing again because of hot. I did most of the content, wvw, pve, found those a little boring as server underworld always seemed to be getting rolled although there used to be some really cool commanders. Did most of the world bosses and got 100% map complete. Got really high in crafting, joined a couple of guilds, did guild stuff, guild events, completed personal story, filled my toon box with the max free number and did a bunch of the jumping puzzles.

At the time I felt like that was enough so I deleted all my toons and never looked back.

I’ve got a female charr warrior and a male charr now. I’ll explore hot. I don’t know if I’ll get bored beyond that after doing the bosses again for nostalgia. I still love the world and whether I stay or leave GW2, when asked is still one of my favorite games ever.

While the game does feel a little dead at times I don’t always feel alone. Since my server was never that full before and choosing to enter the fuller instance keeps the players together, but sometimes I have to remind myself I’m in a multiplayer game and a player comes past I’m like a dog jumping up and down for joy. Life, where have though been, wondering the wastes alone. Oh the humanity, of the joy.. …hey… …where did they go??

It will never be dead for me. Always live on in memory.

(edited by Amarus.4297)

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

I can’t wait to see the huge WvW overhaul they’ve been working over a year on. It must be a complete game changer and it is going to bring so many people back, hopefully the GvG scene as well will return.

No matter how good WvW is, I’ll never play it considering how horribly optimized it is. Sub 20 fps on a GTX970 in a 4year old game is simply unaccepatble.

The concept seems nice but when playing for more than 30 minutes gives me a headache due to the constant stuttering, something’s wrong.

Also in regards to LS3; I’m sure people will come back to check it out – I know I will, but what matters is whether or not people stay. For me that highly depends on the amount of content added and whether or not the content seems like more than just a barebones platform to sell more stuff on the gemstore.

edit: Adding stuff to work towards ingame that requires more than just gold grinding would already go a long way. As it is now the game feels more like a second job where you do mundane tasks over and over again so you can at some point down the line afford the expensive, shiny thing you want on the marketplace.
The game’s just boring at the moment and to me at least that’s the worst thing a game can be.

(edited by Crovax.7854)

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I think this thread being up to 4 pages is more evidence that GW2 isn’t dying. Games that are dying don’t have much community activity on their forums, lol.

~EW

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

I think this thread being up to 4 pages is more evidence that GW2 isn’t dying. Games that are dying don’t have much community activity on their forums, lol.

~EW

I’ve seen threads on dead games go for pages and pages because 3-4 people just use it to argue with eachother, the amount of pages means nothing, it depends on the number of unique users contributing to the thread.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

I’ve seen threads on dead games go for pages and pages because 3-4 people just use it to argue with eachother, the amount of pages means nothing, it depends on the number of unique users contributing to the thread.

Yeah, 3-4 people as opposed to all the people in this thread… and all the others in all the other threads to boot.

~EW

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

The game’s not dying but man is it stale.

It’s too easy in both theory and practice and procures so little in rewards for playing well versus not. A “casual” is Judy as effective as a pro insofar as PvE goes and just picking “what makes sense to me” fits no matter what you do.

It’s still alive though of not for having no genuine competition. I’ll give them that.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

~EW

Yeah, 3-4 people as opposed to all the people in this thread… and all the others in all the other threads to boot.

~EW

I haven’t played the game in months, yet i posted my opinion. I keep tabs on the forums in case the game gets better and I’m sure there are others just like that. Posting on the forums and actively playing are not the same.

edit: also have a look at the countless threads with <10 posts. This one is basically an outlier because it’s controversial and pulls in active players as well as former players who want to check on the state of the game.

(edited by Crovax.7854)

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

~EW

I haven’t played the game in months, yet i posted my opinion. I keep tabs on the forums in case the game gets better and I’m sure there are others just like that. Posting on the forums and actively playing are not the same.

Correlation does not equal causation, this is true… but that doesn’t mean it’s not an indication. My post above said “more evidence,” not “the only evidence.”

Also n=1 isn’t any worthwhile evidence. :P

edit:

edit: also have a look at the countless threads with <10 posts. This one is basically an outlier because it’s controversial and pulls in active players as well as former players who want to check on the state of the game.

You’re ignoring the diversity of commentators. Go to any sub-forum and you’ll find posters that don’t post much anywhere else but in one or two. It’s odd that you have to look at the smaller sub-forms to see the bigger picture of the myriad of people who are active on the forums and actively play. But, it’s there.

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Vayne.8563

~EW

~EW

And since free to play players can’t post on the forums at all, that indicated that some people who played the game a lot and no longer play the game, no longer play the game. That’s all indicated.

Of course this is true of every MMO ever made. Some people who used to play the game don’t play the game.

The number of people in uninteresting threads that post doesn’t concern anyone because some threads are just questions that need to be answered and they get answered and that’s the end. There’s no discussion necessary.

However, in this case, on these forums, where free to play people can’t even post, they’re still plenty active.

And no, there’s no way you can convince me that most people posting here are people who don’t play the game.

I’m relatively sure most people who stop playing a game don’t remain active on the forums even if a small percentage do.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

It seems this thread—a repeat of others in the past—is still rambling on.

At this point, the question having been answered by many dozens of people (and nearly all saying the game is going fine) we’ll close the thread to focus on more productive discussions.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet