Is Guild Wars 1 worth getting?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lytro.9305

Lytro.9305

I was thinking about getting guild wars 1 and all its campaigns to play through. Along with that, the rewards would be nice to have. I’m wondering is if it is worth it to buy it, my main reason would be to get the rewards for guild wars 2. At this point, does guild wars 1 hold up and is it still worth playing?

Posted by: Kirschsahne.2081

Kirschsahne.2081

GW 1 is far superior to GW2.
GW2 is taking steps into the right direction but they set the bar with GW1 so incredible high that they still need some time to get back to former glory.

That said GW2 is not a bad game at all it’s just the quality of GW1 that makes it better.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Opinions will vary. Personally, I’m not sure I’ve fired up GW1 since GW2 came out. GW1’s combat, and exploration in general, feels a lot less dynamic and exciting to me, and I was having difficulty finding a party to go through some of the later missions in EotN. Meanwhile, I can solo most of what I like in GW2, or easily find a party for the rest most of the time.

That said, the mechanics are very different, and some people preferred the old gameplay. I would certainly miss the trading post, though, since GW1 didn’t have one.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s very different. It’s an older style with limited movements and needs a full team usually to do content, though you can fill your party with henchmen and heroes. There’s no dodging or jumping. You stand in place and fight.

However I think the story is told much better and it takes more skill to play.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

GW 1 is far superior to GW2.
GW2 is taking steps into the right direction but they set the bar with GW1 so incredible high that they still need some time to get back to former glory.

That said GW2 is not a bad game at all it’s just the quality of GW1 that makes it better.

Agreed. GW1 was way ahead of its time IMO. I didn’t start playing it until after I installed and played GW2 during its release and wish I had started it years sooner. Be warned though your characters can’t jump in GW1. That seems to be a deal breaker for a lot of people for some reason lol.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

GW1 and GW2 are very different games. I personally have lots of fun playing GW1. It’s more of a Co-Op game over an MMO. I do sometimes wish GW2 was more like GW1, as in party size, and professions. I miss the look of some places, and places that are gone/can’t be accessed right now.

I still play GW1, and the festival’s in GW1 are awesome. And Halloween will be soon. Find out some of Mad King Thorns history. The quests are really fun too.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

Hot is coming in 1 month hell no

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

If you enjoy GW1’s style of combat, then yes, it’s worth buying and playing. It’s much less fluid and dynamic than GW2’s combat but builds have fewer constraints and thus can be pushed to much further extremes than GW2 builds. Additionally, the story in GW1 is fairly unexceptional (typical fantasy RPG fare overall) but it has its moments.

If you’d be playing specifically for the goodies obtained through the Hall of Monuments, the answer is a resounding “no,” however. Don’t get me wrong: a lot of the Hall of Monuments benefits are pretty sweet (I’m currently using the armor on my main, and I’m using a few of the weapons as well), but you would literally have to play GW1 for hundreds of hours to earn most of them, not to mention having to shell out money for the games themselves. Some of the Heritage armor sets are really snazzy, but they aren’t worth hundreds of hours of grinding.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I enjoyed GW1, before GW2 came out.

I have logged back into GW1 and just find it clunky. That paired with how quiet the game is compared to how it used to be stopped me from really trying to get GWAMM for GW2 (I’m at 38 points currently).

If you want to play it simply for the HoM skins… don’t. Most people I know who have them very rarely use them, if it at all. Personally I only use the skins on lowbie alts whilst levelling, but usually I use outfits and zennith weapons instead.

If you want to try the game for the game itself rather than the benefits it will give you in GW2, go ahead.

I think the complete collection can be bought for 10-15 GBP- the story is worth a play through. The game itself is very different to GW2, it’s far more instance based and skill-wise is far more difficult. Don’t expect to be able to solo stuff, even simple things like exploring. The game revolves around having a well-balanced team with synergies- which either means getting real players to play with you, or micro-managing heroes and henchmen to do your bidding.

That being said, the ambience that GW1 gives is absolutely wonderful, personally I find it more immersive than GW2.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think it’s worth trying out, at least as a second game. You will need to accept it on its own terms and not think of it as Guild Wars 2 pre. Except for the lore, there really isn’t anything tying the two games together. As for the Hall of Monuments stuff, I used them when the game came out and at this time I think I use one mini pet, the flaming sword and a title.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

The only rewards I use are the spider ranger pet and the title. Oh and the fiery dragon sword. That’s really the only great reward

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

If you want to play it simply for the HoM skins… don’t. Most people I know who have them very rarely use them, if it at all. Personally I only use the skins on lowbie alts whilst levelling, but usually I use outfits and zennith weapons instead.

I advise against reskinning while levelling. I used a lot of blues while levelling and if you don’t reskin them they remain unbound, meaning you can sell them when you are done with them. Though I also used some greens, which might be worth skinning.

As for which skins I run, I find Heritage light armor to be nice. The weapon skins all suffer from not sharing a theme with anything, so the FDS is the only one I find useful. Because it is a light source.

The pets are the only way for a ranger to have two pets with completely identical stats equipped. Though I don’t know if that is useful as I don’t play a ranger.

Posted by: assasin oates.3018

assasin oates.3018

Get it because it’s a vastly superior title. Better combat, stories, tactics, skills, armor, weapons, music, atmosphere. I can go on

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

A BIG YES!

Caps intended.

<off topic>

That moment when player realizes pre searing isnt the full map.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I was thinking about getting guild wars 1 and all its campaigns to play through. Along with that, the rewards would be nice to have. I’m wondering is if it is worth it to buy it, my main reason would be to get the rewards for guild wars 2. At this point, does guild wars 1 hold up and is it still worth playing?

No its not. Its not a MMO. Also it hard to grind for GW2 rewards solo, which could also be boring.

its a CORPG, this is just a fancy way of saying “Single player rpg with optional grouping with other players” aka Diablo.

if you like that Diablo solo gameplay then maybe you may like it. Its made by the same people after all as Diablo 2.

I cant recommend you invest in it. GW2 is far superior and is an actual mmorpg.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I think you should try it. It really is a great game, but it’s nothing like GW2. If you want HOM rewards, then you can honestly get a good number of points playing solo with heroes (which you get from playing Nightfall and EOTN).

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

If you’ve played other MMO’s like Final Fantasy XIV:ARR, WoW, or 85% F2P games, then you’ll feel right at home. It’s an older title, so it’s very much using the “Holy Trinity”. You might be in for a shock, as many of the Titles in GW1 are quite expensive and grindy. If they’re neither of those, then they take awhile to work through. Don’t expect to have everything handed to you like what’s done in GW2. I played GW1 going on 9 years now, and I don’t have quite a few Titles. That’s excluding PvP Titles.

Is it worth it? I’d say so. You get a butt load of Achievement Points for GW2, and a good amount of nice skins like the Firey Dragon Sword, Fellblade, Diamond Aegis, and the Gnarled Walking Stick for you upcoming Druids. All great skins and free-to-apply.

Outside of the above, you get a chance to experience 250 years ago! With thousands of quests, missions, and maps to explore and see just how different the landscape’s changed since then. And the lore. And maybe come to a vague understanding of why some of us veteran, older players are salty with all the changes made. lol

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

IMHO, no it is not.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

Guild Wars 1 is absolutely worth your time and money. However, I strongly urge you to start out in Prophecies. The game begins from there and moves into Factions, Nightfall, and finally Eye of the North.

In Prophecies you’ll experience all of the Lore related to Guild Wars 2. It’s also the most thoroughly complete expansion. It’s entirely possible to go on from that into Eye of North without losing anything on the experience of Guild Wars 1. However, I’d recommend getting Factions as it really was an incredible expansion.

Nightfall is utterly forgettable, time consuming, and nothing really good can be said about it when compared against the others. Each expansion diverged strongly from the original Prophecies toward forcing players into a single way of playing the game. It also forced players into an unnecessary bottleneck where they absolutely had to do missions/story to get very far. This was largely avoidable in Prophecies, Factions, and Eye of the North.

That said, the one thing you’ll really want to think about is how much you’re into a group-style play. I found that I enjoyed it, but I also had grown up through Prophecies to Eye of the North so I have no bias toward face-roll-to-win. You’re going to be searching a lot for skills and trying out different builds. The great thing is that there are hundreds and hundreds of skills to get in GW1 whereas Guild Wars 2 is essentially “you are this, now go away.” The original game really let you be and play how you wanted to do it. Some people find this too liberating. I include myself in this because I once complained to a friend that the Mesmer was a very week class. I was level 8 at the time. He made one, played it with me for a very short time, then decided to sub-spec into Warrior as his secondary profession. He proceeded to go from Ascalon City to Lion’s Arch using nothing, but himself, that hammer, and a combination of Mesmer damage-over-time spells. It was incredibly educating for me in just how locked-in (bias) I was to being able to do anything I wanted within the limits of 8 skills as opposed to older games where being a class meant being just that one class. Guild Wars 2 will not have prepared you for this experience either as it has not offered anything like it’s old game: a much saddening scenario if you are a veteran of the original and no small source of contempt.

All said, the game is worth it, but the learning curve may be daunting. On the other hand, you’ll discover “Kill the Charr Shaman” is your goal for quite a while and “I love killing Charr” becomes ingrained. You’ll be entirely sympathetic to the Ebonhawke by the end of the Eye of the North and wholly skeptical of Kryta; though you’ll find some sympathies for Kryta regarding their Centaur situation.

RoseofGilead.8907

In Prophecies you’ll experience all of the Lore related to Guild Wars 2. It’s also the most thoroughly complete expansion. It’s entirely possible to go on from that into Eye of North without losing anything on the experience of Guild Wars 1. However, I’d recommend getting Factions as it really was an incredible expansion.

Nightfall is utterly forgettable, time consuming, and nothing really good can be said about it when compared against the others. Each expansion diverged strongly from the original Prophecies toward forcing players into a single way of playing the game. It also forced players into an unnecessary bottleneck where they absolutely had to do missions/story to get very far. This was largely avoidable in Prophecies, Factions, and Eye of the North.

I honestly feel the opposite, at least as far as story goes. Prophecies drones on forever and ever and ever, even before you get to the main meat of the story (or even get your mission book). Nightfall went by quickly, but it still wasn’t so fast that it was forgettable to me. I enjoyed the story just as much as Prophecies (more when I consider how bored I got in Prophecies before getting to Lion’s Arch and then dealing with the Crystal Desert sections).

Plus, doing Nightfall gives you access to heroes right away. And going from there to EOTN as soon as you hit level 10 gives you even more heroes. So, yeah, I think Nightfall is pretty fun and also useful to helping you complete some of the tougher missions from all three main campaigns (as well as EOTN, of course).

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Guild War I is a great game, but it is of its time and a lot of fondness players have for it is due to nostalgia. The game had plenty of issues and some of the writing/design decisions were objectively questionable.

I say only go back to it if you want PvP or if you want the rewards from your Hall of Monuments. Or if you want to experience the history of the world, but keep in mind some of the story is kinda bad, generally speaking the story to GW2 is much more professional.

Personally I had a great time in GW1 and I was playing it from the start till GW2 release. I can not see myself going back to it though, GW2 has just so many better systems in place, from combat and questing to map design, jumping and numerous other things.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Angus.5961

Angus.5961

I just recovered my old Gw1 account so I could get the HoM rewards, and the miniature section at least I think I have covered since every one of my 8 characters has 5 birthday presents sitting in their inventories.

I had a few characters at 20 but had to basically start a new character as I could not remember at all how to play it.

That said, I am seriously enjoying it, and even my aging PC can play it with everything maxed at 1080P.

Whatever package you get, be sure you get EOTN obviously. I was a bit surprised at the high prices still being asked for it, might be worth waiting for a steam sale if they still have them for GW1.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Kitten u guys!! now i to install gw1 back :|

if i recall the cheapest way is to get GW plat and then the 3 core (will get prophecies 2x but will be like ~6€ cheaper than get the 3 core campaign + eotn).

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: OneHitWonder.5741

OneHitWonder.5741

i bought gw1 about 1 year ago to get some of the skins for gw2. at first it was kind of boring and felt like a grind but the further i got through the game the less i could stop playing. I even got to a point where i completely stopped playing gw2 because the lore in gw1 was so much better and i had found a build that totally wrecked everything in my way ^^. nowadays i’ve managed to tone the hype (and the rate of progression) down a little bit so that i always have something to do when there are no updates in gw2. So for me after an initial time of disliking the game i really started to like it and even the graphics became more beautiful to me

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

"Is Guild Wars 1 worth getting?"

Must admit I hate these kind of questions, because obviously it will be entirely up to personal preference and taste. The answer is simply "Depends, try it and find out." Or do some research and make an educated guess.

If you’re just going to play it for grinding titles and stuff for HoM, then prepare yourself, it is a lot of work. The Achivement system was setup more towards extremes than the GW2 system that rewards you for every little thing. Stuff like the Legendary Defender of Ascalon title can take you AGES.

Personal comments and thoughts: (Skip if not interested)

I enjoyed GW1 for what it was, and played it for many years. For me it was basically a single player game with good coop to play with a friend or two whenever they had the time, but for the most part I played it like it was another Baldurs Gate game.

Combat and controls are entirely different, no moving and fighting, even warriors with melee weapons cancel their attacks if moving. After having played GW2, this really freaks me out and I can’t go back at all. Still miss a lot of things, especially fighting against Charr Warbands, and actually running away from lots of enemies because it was just too hard to take on solo.

Regarding expansions, I can not recommend Prophecies at all. It is the slowest of them, and the story honestly felt completely random and haphazard, it keeps changing all the time and you simply don’t get any reason why things hang together. Also several of the areas just flat out ticked me off, my eternal hatred for Crystal Desert comes from Prophecies story.

I’d recommend Nightfall for a start, it is generally considered the best starting one, they really worked over to make it help introduce players to things at a better pace. You get access to heroes early which helps a lot, and isn’t as slow paced as prophecies that just flat out level starved you, nor as crazy fast as Factions.

Factions is a good second get, and Eye of the North is great for end game stuff and more free heroes (and free xp). Unless money is an issue, make sure you get a version that gives you the "bonus imp", best companion you will get in the entire game.

A note on skills/build, it is very different fro GW2, you get literally 100+ skills per profession, and you can combine with a secondary profession for each character (and swap it), so you can get some crazy many skills. The build system works much more like a MtG (Magic the Gathering) Combo deck than anything you’re used to from GW2. Pay attention to what skills you buy, as the cost increases the more you buy, and look for guides to what skills is worth getting.

TLDR: The only way to find out is trying, or research and make educated guess.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: XDeathShadowX.2619

XDeathShadowX.2619

They are both pretty different from each other, I tend not to even compare them because I like them both for different reasons. If they were from 2 different series I’d honestly hold them both in high praise.

GW1 has a more static combat system with little exploration to it compared to GW2.
But GW2 can’t hold a candle to GW1 build system, GW1 had thousands of skills, and with the ability to have 2 professions and have any profession wield any weapon.

If you’re one who likes to make builds (Both character and party comp) then GW1 is amazing. The issue being it’s old so it’s not very populated.

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

A BIG YES!

Caps intended.

<off topic>
That moment when player realizes pre searing isnt the full map.

That moment when the player realizes they can never go back to Pre, on that character.

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Guild Wars 1 is absolutely worth your time and money. However, I strongly urge you to start out in Prophecies. The game begins from there and moves into Factions, Nightfall, and finally Eye of the North.

That said, the one thing you’ll really want to think about is how much you’re into a group-style play. I found that I enjoyed it, but I also had grown up through Prophecies to Eye of the North so I have no bias toward face-roll-to-win. You’re going to be searching a lot for skills and trying out different builds. The great thing is that there are hundreds and hundreds of skills to get in GW1 whereas Guild Wars 2 is essentially “you are this, now go away.” The original game really let you be and play how you wanted to do it. Some people find this too liberating. I include myself in this because I once complained to a friend that the Mesmer was a very week class. I was level 8 at the time. He made one, played it with me for a very short time, then decided to sub-spec into Warrior as his secondary profession. He proceeded to go from Ascalon City to Lion’s Arch using nothing, but himself, that hammer, and a combination of Mesmer damage-over-time spells. It was incredibly educating for me in just how locked-in (bias) I was to being able to do anything I wanted within the limits of 8 skills as opposed to older games where being a class meant being just that one class. Guild Wars 2 will not have prepared you for this experience either as it has not offered anything like it’s old game: a much saddening scenario if you are a veteran of the original and no small source of contempt.

All said, the game is worth it, but the learning curve may be daunting. On the other hand, you’ll discover “Kill the Charr Shaman” is your goal for quite a while and “I love killing Charr” becomes ingrained. You’ll be entirely sympathetic to the Ebonhawke by the end of the Eye of the North and wholly skeptical of Kryta; though you’ll find some sympathies for Kryta regarding their Centaur situation.

GW 1 Mesmer: “weak class”. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!…../falls on floor holding sides and cackling like an Asura in a giggle fit.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I still laugh maniacally whenever I imagine Panic cast on a WvW stack. “Weak Mesmer” haa haaa.

GW is worth playing and owning. It is unique, a kind of game we may never see again. I have to laugh at the “AMG can’t jump” crowd, MMOs with jumping were already common at the height of GWs popularity, didn’t matter then, really doesn’t now.

Story is better, not a literary Jewel, but one sans Ley Lines, Scarlette, the Moronics, and Snowflake charr with helicopters.

Lorewise, the game has impact that GW2 tries and fails at. The shock of post searing Ascalon far exceeds anything done in GW2. I still harbor a deep hatred of Charr.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: Calistin.6210

Calistin.6210

IF your going to play it just to get some skins it’s probably not worth it but if you like the lore and want to play through some pre gw2 story it is. Haven’t played much of gw2 but it seems much more typical mmo combat wheras gw1 is much more tactical in the sense you can solo all the game with heroes/henchmen if you use the correct build combinations. There was one mission I did in faction I did with another player as being two real people allowed us to slit the team up which made the mission so much easier.

I recently fired it up as I had the trilogy but had only played through prophecies and I am having a blast and have in the last week made my way through factions and I am half way through nightfall. Lots of my time has been spent getting heroes and elite skills and checking out gwpvx to figure out which builds to use on some of the missions to get master for the protector titles. I use the 7 Hero Player Support team and barring a couple mission here and there it works well.

Like Teofa Tsavo I also really hate the charr, well most of them, for post searing…filthy animals……lol

(edited by Calistin.6210)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

GW 1 is great – I consider highly relevant to know the lore and what went on even for GW2’s somewhat different story.
It’s also very fun mechanics wise – if you can – get it – play it and I’m pretty sure you won’t regret it.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

It’s worth it for lore and backstory but, at this point, I think that’s about it. It was crazy fun when it was new but at this point you’d probably be hard pressed to find anyone to do content with and, from my experience, henchmen/merc parties can be incredibly frustrating due to the AI.

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Play GW2.

Go back to GW1

Equip skills in GW1, get your team ready and go forth to fight/explore.

Get into fight (in GW1, if you cant see anything to fight, it just means they are hiding)

Suddenly panic, and mash evade button—-where is my evade button!!!!! (die).

(Oh ye, GW1 critters are like the zombie apocalypse, they just want to eat you alive)

Posted by: Allvaldr.3425

Allvaldr.3425

Depends on yourself if you like it or not.

I picked up GW1 to earn some HoM points. Hated it. After an hour uninstalled. At least linking accounts gave me 3 armour pieces though.

Posted by: Erasmus.1624

Erasmus.1624

While being conceptually lightyears beyond GW2, it has aged very poorly. The game is pretty good as a standalone if you’re willing to learn how to play it, though.

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

It’s easily possible to get through the story with heroes and henchman.

The thing about GW1 combat that made it enjoyable was that it was pretty straigthforward. No dodging, stuck in place while casting, yet so much depth because of cross-classes and a bazillion of skills. You also had cast bars which made interrupting way more skillful. It wasn’t as overloaded with FX and sparkles as GW2 where you sometimes can’t see your own character. I guess that’s one of the main reasons why GW1 was so popular, even watching it was pretty entertaining.

GW2 is a more active game, with active movement and casting. Very different approach, and it all comes down to your personal preference. I fell in love with GW2 combat first, but now after three years (and power creep), it sometimes gets a bit overwhelming.

Concerning PvE/Dungeons: GW1 is better than GW2 in my eyes. Living Story is a great idea and anet does a good job with it, but jumping into GW1 elite dungeons was more entertaining for me… more challenging. It’s more traditional when it comes to classes than GW2. I hope that raids will bring some of that feeling back.

Oh, and I love(d) my Ritualist. Still grumpy that I can’t play that in GW2.
No, Revenant is no Ritualist.

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Short answer is ‘yes’

SBI

RoseofGilead.8907

Thinking about buying it, too.
Is it possible to play through all the story solo with heroes/henchmen, never looking for a party? As either dervish or ranger, preferably?

I got through all of Factions (Ritualist) and Nightfall (Dervish) with just henchmen/heroes; my husband and I played through some of Prophecies together with henchmen, then left to do EOTN once we reached Lion’s Arch, and came back to Prophecies after we’d finished EOTN and got heroes. I also did Fissure of Woe and some other more “challenging” things with just heroes.

I would recommend starting with Nightfall, so you can get heroes right away (you get a warrior, two monks, either a ranger or an elementalist, and a dervish pretty early on in the story there). I’d also recommend going right to EOTN once you hit level 10 and can go there; doing the very opening things get you an additional monk, elementalist, and mesmer hero. Once you have those, you could either keep doing EOTN or go back to Nightfall to finish that first.

As a side note, leveling a Ranger would be good as far as getting HoM points goes. You’ll have the option to charm a pet to level along with you from the get-go, which means once you get through EOTN, you’ll have a level 20 pet to put in your HoM.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

Some things about GW1 that might help you decide.

1. There’s no crafting.
2. The world is instanced to your party.
3. Your party can consist completely of AI characters along with your player character.
4. You can select different skills and abilities for your action bars that are not pre-determined by your weapon choice (although certain skills are not usable unless you have a specific weapon equipped).
5. Certain gimick builds are necessary to complete certain hard mode activities.
6. As a low level character, you can be “run” to higher level areas and obtain the highest tier armor in the game which your character can equip and use (provided you have the currency and materials required by the armor crafters).
7. There’s no jumping or swimming.
8. There are a lot of fun titles that you can “grind” for.
9. Each of the chapters (with the exception of EotN which requires at least one of the other chapters (prophecies, factions or nightfall) to play) is stand alone. You do not have to purchase all of the campaigns and you can play them in any order you wish.

If you enjoy playing solo, you’ll probably have a lot of fun. If you enjoy having other random strangers running around fighting monsters along side you, then this isn’t the game for you. Also, last time I played, PvP was, for the most part, dead because of unresolved botting issues.

RoseofGilead.8907

Thanks for the advice. But would the story make sense chronologically if played that way? I thought the right order would be Prophecies-Factions-Nightfall-EotN?

You’re playing completely different characters in completely different settings when you play native Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall characters. With the exception of NPC crossovers (such as Mhenlo, an NPC henchman and quest giver you meet in Prophecies, coming to Cantha to help out in Factions), you won’t be dealing with any story from the other two campaigns.

If you choose to play all the campaigns on the same character, then you’ll pick up the other two campains’ stories about 1/3 of the way through; the story will be the same for you, but you’ll be a Foreign character helping out because an NPC you’ve met is asking you to help out an NPC from one of the other campaigns with their problem.

Now, if you go and do all of EOTN once you hit level 10, then yeah, you’ll be crossing time streams a little bit because that’s meant to take place after all of the story that happens in the three main campaigns. You should honestly be able to get by fine with Nightfall heroes combined with henchmen if you didn’t want to jump ahead and then jump back.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

You can play through all of the campaigns with a single character. It doesn’t matter which one you start with as they are independent stories. However, to access certain heroes you will need to have specific campagins (Olias requires prophecies as well as nightfall, for example).

Posted by: Notsoperky.4291

Notsoperky.4291

Depends on yourself if you like it or not.

I picked up GW1 to earn some HoM points. Hated it. After an hour uninstalled. At least linking accounts gave me 3 armour pieces though.

This tells you a lot about the sort of players that are attracted to GW2. An hour? An hour’s not even a start in GW1, shame you missed 99.9999999% of the content and decided it wasn’t for you without getting anywhere. That’s a bit like starting in the first village in GW2, watching the cinematic and deciding you don’t like the mechanics of the game.

GW1 has a lot of active people and guilds, everyone uses the American districts so move your toon there if you start in European ones- it’s that bar, click, select, done (no gem charge!!).

I restarted from scratch in GW1 a while ago and decided to play sin this time around as a main, mostly because I didn’t like it last time around, and now love it.

So much more build variety as well as much more challenging group content- which isn’t possible in GW2 atm due to a lack of a true healer (incoming druid!) which means everything boils down to ‘zerk it’.

Posted by: lujate.5432

lujate.5432

No amount of content will fix god awful game play. I suffered thru a week of GW1 because my friend said, “give it a chance”. I wish I’d quit after only an hour.

“Queen of Cheese Builds”

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I enjoyed GW1, before GW2 came out.

I have logged back into GW1 and just find it clunky. That paired with how quiet the game is compared to how it used to be stopped me from really trying to get GWAMM for GW2 (I’m at 38 points currently).

If you want to try the game for the game itself rather than the benefits it will give you in GW2, go ahead.

I think the complete collection can be bought for 10-15 GBP- the story is worth a play through. The game itself is very different to GW2, it’s far more instance based and skill-wise is far more difficult. Don’t expect to be able to solo stuff, even simple things like exploring. The game revolves around having a well-balanced team with synergies- which either means getting real players to play with you, or micro-managing heroes and henchmen to do your bidding.

That being said, the ambience that GW1 gives is absolutely wonderful, personally I find it more immersive than GW2.

I use alot of the HoM skins, my main warrior has the FDS, and long Bow, necro uses the staff and light top, my charr warrior uses the Fellblade and bow, the rest get used while levelling as I hat miss matching armor.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: FrigginPaco.4178

FrigginPaco.4178

Skill interaction was the highlight of GW1 with regards to combat and I continue to believe that GW2 has a much more limited reach where that’s concerned. The drawback was that combat overall was still “slower” because the skills had such widely ranging effects, and a lot of time could be spent simply reading skill effects, at the beginning of learning to play, of course.

But… that was the whole point. The skill selection was so incredibly ample and varied, both for PvP and PvE. Builds for very profession numbered quite high and evenly amongst all of them and you could even make themed builds work well in legitimate combat settings depending on the situation.

Considering the fact that in GW2 weapons don’t have a 2nd set of skills that you can individually swap for each 1-5 skill, you can only really have diversity through the 6-0 skills and the trait system. Even for engineers*** who can’t switch primary weapons, that’s like limiting 1/4th their potential combat customization (my rationale being 1/4th 1-5, 1/4th 6-0, 1/4th stats from armor, and 1/4th traits).

I understand why they’ve done it that way, fewer skills to learn means less time learning how to enjoy the game before you actually start playing the game. This benefits a more casual audience which I’m not directly opposed to, but for people seeking more from the potential that the game engine has to offer, since it’s a modified gw1 engine I believe that they’re not tapping into what gw2 could be.

Before I digress further, let me simply state that GW1 is different for many of the reasons people have been stating. It is very customizable where combat is concerned, but that’s the limit to its really strong points. There is simply more “stuff” in gw2.

• I’m fully aware that they have access to kits.

(edited by FrigginPaco.4178)

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

It’s up to the person, the combat & control is way different. It is a bit clunky, but in terms of skills & builds it’s much deeper & varied. Control wise it’s not so great.

If you’re interested in story GW1 is 100000x better than GW2. GW2 has turned into a sjw fanfic with GW lore sprinkled around it. GW2 may present some parts of it’s “story” a little cleaner, but GW1 has far FAR better characters, plot points & the lore is more consistent. If there is anything that has turned my love/love relationship with the GW franchise into a love/hate it’s absolutely the story & characters.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Gw1 is the best game ever. So yes totally worth it. But remember you might need ~1 year for the gw2 reward, these HoM points (50l take more time and dedication than like 20 legy’s in gw2. And the gold title is the most ‘valueable’ title in both gw1 & gw2. Even all other gw2 title combined are like kindergarden easy compared to the god one.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

up to you for your own reasons.

However, keep in mind some of content and achievements would require actual players to obtain due to the difficult. With GW1 extreme desert like population now if you aim for HoM rewards it will be very difficult to get a organized group for those content.

Fortunately there are other things that can be added into HoM that doesn’t require other players.

Posted by: King Noob IV.3560

King Noob IV.3560

don’t waste your money. the game is horrible now that the population has died out so much.

D/D Elementalist takes no skill but is good at everything in the game.
Mesmer is unfun to play against and does everything better than thieves.
Hoping those two get gutted with nerfs

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

its a CORPG, this is just a fancy way of saying “Single player rpg with optional grouping with other players” aka Diablo.

a description that seems appropriate for most MMORPG today, very much for GW2

if you like that Diablo solo gameplay then maybe you may like it. Its made by the same people after all as Diablo 2.

comparing a group based rpg with intricate team mechanics to a point-and-click action rpg like Diablo 2 is the most ridiculous thing I ever read even around here.

No, OP, GW1 is NOTHING like Diablo 2.