Is Guild Wars 2 Doing Well?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is for all the people who claim the game is dying.

Star Wars The Old Republic ended up laying off a significant portion of their staff six months or so after launch. TSW ended up laying off a third of their staff, due to disappointing sales.

Anet, on the other hand, is hiring. Here’s the link to their website, which I got by following the shifting news on top of the main Guild Wars 2 page.

http://www.arena.net/

If Guild Wars 2 is doing so badly and the game is dying, why is Anet hiring?

Posted by: Murderin.8269

Murderin.8269

A game without a subscription will never die. If players get bored they can take a break and come back whenever.

It is doing pretty well. I would guess the game has at least 1 million active players. Others come and go.

Based on info around the net it is probably the second or third most populated MMO on the market right now. Depending on how much Aion has dropped in the last year.

A developer should always be hiring and looking for new talent. The skills required to create a game like this aren’t very common. They are quickly snatched up by the many different companies.

Plus there are so many suckers spending a ton of money on the gem store, they have probably made more from that than actual game sales.

(edited by Murderin.8269)

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Based on how packed my server is ,Seafarers Rest (far, far too many people to be honest) I would say its doing great.

It would not surprise me if they have made far, far more money from the gem store than they expected/projected when launched…

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

A game without a subscription will never die.

This is a false statement . it depends on the quality of the game and the financial soundness of the company . Many free games have gone poof over the years

Posted by: Murderin.8269

Murderin.8269

This is a false statement . it depends on the quality of the game and the financial soundness of the company . Many free games have gone poof over the years

I figured that was obvious. Anyway neither of those apply to GW2 in the first place.

Unless there are serious developmental mistakes this game will be active until Guild Wars 3.

(edited by Murderin.8269)

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

The WvW queue and PvE culling tell me the game is going strong. I doubt the game can “die”. Without sub fees people will come and go. That gem store is profitable for sure.

Personally I’ll take a little break for bioshock infinite. I know everything will still be here when I get back and unlike in other games, I won’t loose a raid spot or be behind the gear treadmill hehe

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

The game is most definitely not dead, although if a newcomer would come to the forums he’d think otherwise.

Magummadweller

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

I’m really glad the game’s population has stabilized. It’s a fair call to say that GW2 is doing well. The population density I’m seeing is as consistent this month as it was in February. I took a break after missing February’s monthly achievement, and came back to a still bustling game.

Anet may not have the lightning in a bottle that WoW caught, but GW2 is clearly here for the long haul.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I’m not sure how long they will be able to sustain this though. Their Achilles heel is a AAA MMO targeted to a mature audience. The Disney stuff might be tolerable for awhile but; it’ll get dumped really fast. Your average MMO gamers is over 30 and is demanding mature content.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I’m not sure how long they will be able to sustain this though. Their Achilles heel is a AAA MMO targeted to a mature audience. The Disney stuff might be tolerable for awhile but; it’ll get dumped really fast. Your average MMO gamers is over 30 and is demanding mature fun content.

Fixed that for you. I’m an average MMO gamer over 30, therefore I’m as entitled to generalize about the entire demographic as you are.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Mackdose.6504

I’m not sure how long they will be able to sustain this though. Their Achilles heel is a AAA MMO targeted to a mature audience. The Disney stuff might be tolerable for awhile but; it’ll get dumped really fast. Your average MMO gamers is over 30 and is demanding mature content.

Good thing people are capable of playing more than one game at a time. Otherwise this all or nothing argument would hold water.

Vayne.8563

I’m 51 and I love this content. The average gamer is not defined by one dynamic. I don’t suspect light and happy will get dumped by many people…particularly if dark stuff is being added as well. The fractals are the darker side of things. WvW is not light and fluffy. There’s room in the game for some of this stuff.

Calae.1738

I’m not sure how long they will be able to sustain this though. Their Achilles heel is a AAA MMO targeted to a mature audience. The Disney stuff might be tolerable for awhile but; it’ll get dumped really fast. Your average MMO gamers is over 30 and is demanding mature fun content.

Fixed that for you. I’m an average MMO gamer over 30, therefore I’m as entitled to generalize about the entire demographic as you are.

I’m not generalizing. Its a fact. MMO’s are not appealing to younger audiences. They might buy the game; play it till level 10 or 20 then quit.

It probably has something to do with how the younger generations seek something for nothing and are too impatient to work towards something. The entitled generation. The ones that grew up with credit cards, smart phones and google.

(edited by Calae.1738)

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I figured that was obvious. Anyway neither of those apply to GW2 in the first place.

Unless there are serious developmental mistakes this game will be active until Guild Wars 3.

They’ve been making serious developmental mistakes since launch. Doesn’t seem to have had much of an adverse effect. Though it’s hard to tell without subscription numbers to use for a relative comparison. The hiring page is pretty much the only clear evidence that ANet isn’t hurting.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Considering that ‘mature content’ in video games is usually targeted at, and most successful with teenage boys, I sure as hell wouldn’t base an MMO around it.

Vayne.8563

They’ve been making serious developmental mistakes since launch. Doesn’t seem to have had much of an adverse effect. Though it’s hard to tell without subscription numbers to use for a relative comparison. The hiring page is pretty much the only clear evidence that ANet isn’t hurting.

If the game is healthy, maybe they aren’t mistakes. I mean how many people say the Fractals was a mistake. Ascended gear is a mistake. The new super action box is a mistake. For each person who claims something is a mistake, another person likes it.

I think selling stuff in the shop that’s RNG is a mistake…I hate it. But it’s probably making them money. Over the long haul, they’ll probably make more money doing that. They’ll lose some players over it. Is it a mistake?

There have been a couple of mistakes, objectively, like the way the Lost Shores event was run…that was definitely a mistake, but a lot of things that people call mistakes are only mistakes from certain viewpoints.

Mackdose.6504

If the game is healthy, maybe they aren’t mistakes. I mean how many people say the Fractals was a mistake. Ascended gear is a mistake. The new super action box is a mistake. For each person who claims something is a mistake, another person likes it.

I think selling stuff in the shop that’s RNG is a mistake…I hate it. But it’s probably making them money. Over the long haul, they’ll probably make more money doing that. They’ll lose some players over it. Is it a mistake?

There have been a couple of mistakes, objectively, like the way the Lost Shores event was run…that was definitely a mistake, but a lot of things that people call mistakes are only mistakes from certain viewpoints.

And the take away from these mistakes is that Anet is learning what works and what doesn’t. Every release has been an improvement upon the game.

Calae.1738

Considering that ‘mature content’ in video games is usually targeted at, and most successful with teenage boys, I sure as hell wouldn’t base an MMO around it.

MMO budget money is already flowing towards that market. Remember that MMOs have been around for about a decade. People are getting older. Their needs change.

Look at The Simpsons. It’s been around for 24 years. Do you think that show would still be around if they had continued to use Bart as the main character?

Posted by: agauos.8794

agauos.8794

I think it’s doing well enough. I see active players everytime I log on. I also do my part to support Anet by buying loads of diamonds.

Charr/Warrior – Level 80; Norn/Mesmer – Level 80; Charr/Engineer – WIP;
Sylvari/Thief – WIP; Human/Necromancer – WIP

VOLKON.1290

I’m not generalizing. Its a fact. MMO’s are not appealing to younger audiences. They might buy the game; play it till level 10 or 20 then quit.

It probably has something to do with how the younger generations seek something for nothing and are too impatient to work towards something. The entitled generation. The ones that grew up with credit cards, smart phones and google.

You stated as “fact” that we’re looking for what you call “mature” content. I’ve seen what Scarlet Blade is offering and how they’re selling themselves… I disagree. You’re statement is opinion, not fact. Give me fun, pleasing content. Give me something I enjoy, even if it’s a nostalgic romp down an 8-bit memory lane. Or maybe it’s a differing opinion on what “mature” is? To me, “mature” content includes that where I can sit down with my two kids and play together knowing it’ll be a rewarding and “safe” experience for us all.

(Note: Scarlet Blade is used as an example simply because they’re selling themselves as a “mature MMO”. The fact that nudity can be purchased in their cash shop, however, in my opinion pushes them to an immature level not seen in recent MMO history. There was no implication that you prefer a SB type of game in any way, shape or form.)

#TeamJadeQuarry

VOLKON.1290

Serious developmental mistakes? I’ve put in… well… lots of hours, and still yet to see any “serious developmental mistakes”. Maybe you’re expressing an opinion and mistakenly asserted it as fact? Could you elaborate please?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Mature content in games? It will be more likley that teenagers want “mature content” so they could feel like adults while playing games.
It is also highly untrue that average mmo player is above 30+, if it were true how would you explain masses that use terms like kiddo, noobs, pro, leet, etc. They must be mature gamers for sure!
For those mature players wanting mature content, i think there is village girl near Divinity’s reach that might be willing to offer mature content, wink wink

(edited by kRiza krimos.1637)

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Mature content in games? It will be more likley that teenagers want “mature content” so they could feel like adults while playing games.
It is also highly untrue that average mmo player is above 30+, if it were true how would you explain masses that use terms like kiddo, noobs, pro, leet, etc. They must be mature gamers for sure!

It’s actually 26, so he isn’t far off. Us video gamers will be a dying breed eventually at this rate! And the reason us mid to late 20s use those words is because we freaking INVENTED them.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

I grew up with all those stuff and I’m still loving this game and the content. Oh and I don’t feel entitled. Sure, I don’t agree with some of the choices Anet has made since launch, but I still can’t wait to get my internet so I can play again.
Being entitled has nothing to do with the entire generation – it’s a personal view of some people from all generations. Saying that younger generations feel entitled is equally absurd as saying that all elder generations are completely ignorant to everyone/thing but to them selves. It’s easy to generalize, but generalizations are always wrong. And I mean always.
Oh and credit cards, smart phones and google FTW!

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

(edited by Ballistic.4531)

Aeonblade.8709

I grew up with all those stuff and I’m still loving this game and the content. Oh and I don’t feel entitled. Sure, I don’t agree with some of the choices Anet has made since launch, but I still can’t wait to get my internet so I can play again.
Being entitled has nothing to do with the entire generation – it’s a personal view of some people from all generations. Saying that younger generations feel entitled is equally absurd as saying that all elder generations are completely ignorant to everyone/thing but to them selves. It’s easy to generalize, but generalizations are always wrong. And I mean always.
Oh and credit cards, smart phones and google FTW!

This. Even though I’m only 25, it doesn’t mean everyone my age is out for free stuff. I would much rather work for it, which is probably why I have played and still play EQ for 14 years. Just remember, it’s the person, not the age that determines maturity

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I’m a GW2 fanboy, but please why you gotta be so biased?

Studio =/= publisher

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

Yes it is!

All that remains to be seen is how well.

Naqaj.6219

It’s actually 26, so he isn’t far off. Us video gamers will be a dying breed eventually at this rate!

Quite the opposite, the audience is growing steadily. The constant marketing focus on the male, white late teens/early 20ies gamer is just utterly disproportionate to the actual distribution of demographics. Take a minute or two to read through http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp for some interesting numbers.

Aeonblade.8709

It’s actually 26, so he isn’t far off. Us video gamers will be a dying breed eventually at this rate!

Quite the opposite, the audience is growing steadily. The constant marketing focus on the male, white late teens/early 20ies gamer is just utterly disproportionate to the actual distribution of demographics. Take a minute or two to read through http://www.theesa.com/facts/gameplayer.asp for some interesting numbers.

Cool, thanks for the link, will check it out. I had heard a few months ago VG’s were having trouble attracting a new audience, at least on the mmo side of things. Good to know I’ll have some people to play with even when I’m sitting in a rocking chair with an old laptop :p

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Funny, that’s the same thing people have been saying about ‘the younger generations’ for, oh, all of recorded history. As I remember one of the earliest samples of writing is someone complaining that the whole writing thing is just making kids stupid because they don’t have to use their brains to remember everything anymore.

VOLKON.1290

Cool, thanks for the link, will check it out. I had heard a few months ago VG’s were having trouble attracting a new audience, at least on the mmo side of things. Good to know I’ll have some people to play with even when I’m sitting in a rocking chair with an old laptop :p

Screw that. I’m having my rocking chair be manufactured by Alienware.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

Good to know I’ll have some people to play with even when I’m sitting in a rocking chair with an old laptop :p

I just can’t see that happening! If you still have the old laptop in a rocking chair, I’ll send you a new one that supports the at-that-time new MMO’s.

Epic!

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

(edited by Ballistic.4531)

Posted by: Levistis.8356

Levistis.8356

Bah! I am 16, have 5 LvL 80s, working towards a legendary, and enjoy this game a lot, all with keeping a 4.0 and I play one sport (not too good at the sport though). I love working for my stuffz and a good challenge, although I do have to agree quite a few of my friends dropped the game due to no “gear grind” and all cosmetic stuff to work towards.

Age =/= Maturity

Magummadweller

(edited by Levistis.8356)

Naqaj.6219

Pfft! A true gamer would build it himself!

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

yea but you cant sue anyone if you overclock the rockingchair wrong and you get hurt .

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

It’s actually 26, so he isn’t far off. Us video gamers will be a dying breed eventually at this rate! And the reason us mid to late 20s use those words is because we freaking INVENTED them.

Thats average, which means that for every ten 20 year olds comes one or two 35+ to raise average. Those words were invented more than a decade ago, since i started playing mmo’s like 10 yrs ago and they were already invented.Considering that go figure how much inventors of those words matured over time…;)

Vayne.8563

Again I’m 51. My wife is my age. We’re both gamers. And though we’re not “hard core” in that sense, we did beat DOA in Guild Wars 1, just the two of us with six heroes. That’s no small feat. I wouldn’t say we’re awesome or anything, but I will say that we can hang with people who are without too much complaint.

There’s a guy in my guild ten years older than me.

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

Wait, which one? The full coloured pandas or the anime-like Lineage 2 / AION?

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1bee69/lets_show_arenanet_that_we_want_sab_to_stay/

SAB:1 , Calcae: 0

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

Calae.1738

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1bee69/lets_show_arenanet_that_we_want_sab_to_stay/

There’s a market for it. There’s a market for anything.

It is my opinion that Guild Wars 2 contains a considerable adult audience that demands mature content. If Guild Wars 2 cannot provide it; that audience will disappear. What is arguable is the size of this demographic.

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

It is my opinion that Guild Wars 2 contains a considerable adult audience that demands mature content. If Guild Wars 2 cannot provide it; that audience will disappear. What is arguable is the size of this demographic.

Define “mature” content. I hope you’re not thinking doom and gloom is mature.

Personally I want fun, diverse and bug free content. There are enough risen and elder dragons, enough refuges and problems. I like these short term fun events, they mix it up.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Firstly, based on anecdotal evidence, the game seems stronger than ever. People are still playing in large numbers – as far as I can see.

Regarding the “maturity” comments, the concept is subjective and multifaceted. Im in my 40s and enjoy content like SAB or Kegbrawl (or the Christmas content) as much as I do beating up stuff in fractals/dungeons/WvW. The idea that any time something outside the conventional Tolkien-esque framework is considered, it is suddenly gamebreaking or not mature seems arbitrary to me. Mature players realize the goal is fun before form.

As to the potential threat from other games, I think it will only serve to strengthen the GW2 experience. Intense competition breeds greater innovation and a need to stay entertaining. GW2 has a few things going for it – established communities, strong development team/budget, innovative concepts, solid framework on which to launch new content, etc.

While other games will bring those same things to the market, I dont expect GW2 to go anywhere. It takes alot to kill an MMO (just look at SWTOR). And, since ongoing profitability at ANet is directly tied to “what have you done for me lately” rather than the hamster wheel sub fee inspired grind other games use, competition should cause us to see stronger GW2 game additions – rather than the compromise to business models (SWTOR, SW, etc) or gameplay mechanics – that occur when other games are faced with strong market competition.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

I imagine that this game is doing much better than people realize. There is a lot of evidence that the game is not dying, but you won’t convince the doom and gloom crowd of that, since they will pounce on any tidbit of conspiracy they can conjure up to disprove it. Meanwhile, the majority of us are online playing and not paying attention to them anyway.

Posted by: Nerokis.8405

Nerokis.8405

There’s a market for it. There’s a market for anything.

No, here’s the thing: far more is arguable than that. For one, what does your typical adult want? You’re acting as if you have your hand over the pulse of a particular demographic, and as if it’s a given that someone above, say, the age of 30 will desire what you desire, when in actuality the only person you’re a spokesperson for is yourself. So, there’s another arguable thing.

Another thing that’s arguable is your incredibly narrow idea of maturity. The Super Adventure Box is clearly not deadly serious, but obviously maturity isn’t about lacking a sense of humor, right? It’s also not gloomy and dark, and yet maturity isn’t about those things, either. It’s perfectly possible for a very mature person to get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Also, who doesn’t love Disney movies?

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

As an adult over the age of 30, I really don’t look for ‘adult’ content in my video games. ‘Adult’ content is usually geared to teenagers who want to think they’re cool because the game is grimdark and has boobs. I look for a video game that’s fun to play, that’s it.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I want to use the gem store, I really do but there’s nothing to buy -_-

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Why another thread about stuff that we know nothing about. Companies that aren’t doing well hire all the time. Companies that are doing well, lay off people and continue to watch profits skyrocket. We don’t and won’t know the numbers about this game unless ANet wants to tell us. For every argument in this regard, there is a counter-argument.

Calae.1738

Mature content = blood, nudity, terror, coarse language, violence, politics, economics, moral controversy and scientific material.

I’m not trying to insult people who like Disney stuff. The psychological techniques used by Disney are well known to be effective. They’re very good at what they do.

(edited by Calae.1738)

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I’d be willing to bet the majority of players who play MMOs hardly pay any attention at all to the actual form of the content. As long as the content is fun and the rewards worthwhile, I’ll bet most players really don’t pay attention to how cute, silly, or grim the world around them might be. It’s a bet I might lose, but it’s a bet I’d make.

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

I agree, Darkace. All that violence, blood, nudity, economics so that people won’t let you watch the cinematics when doing instances because you are stalling their game, so that people will skip the content because all they want is the token at the end of the dungeon.

Seems like I am talking about GW2. I am not, this is true for all MMOs.

Not that I don’t like the kind of content Calae is talking about. I do. Its just that they’re meaningless. It seems the only thing that matters in the end is the gameplay (like the bosses mechanics and strategies) and the armor level names (Rare, Exotic, Lengendary), because that will be the only thing people will pay attention to, on whatever MMO.