Is Guild Wars 2 Doing Well?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

I thought this thread would have died by now.
The game is doing financially well.
The game (content and balance) is doing well in comparison to other popular MMORPGs that were under a year old at their respective times.

The community is in utter ruins as trolls and whining babies have risen from the waters of Orr and have taken over Lion’s Arch.

I knew the thread wouldn’t die a quick death because the naysayers were bound to come into it to try to argue their point. I just wanted a thread from the other side of the coin, since most of the threads about the games health have been negative (because people assume their opinions are going to kittenoed by most people).

I agree! I have yet to see a thread that mostly talks positively about the game’s health. There are a few threads in the Game Discussion branch that relates to that but not as widespread as this one.

The doom and gloom crowd would like everyone to believe that because they don’t like a game, or because it’s not for them, that everyone feels that way or even that most people do.

I’m sure there are some people who do feel the way they do…and I’m sure there are some people who feel the way I do.

I guess that’s really the point. No one has a monopoly on an opinion.

Guild Wars 2 > Forums forum > Guild Wars 2 Discussion.

Doom and gloom is much better than the fanboy praise the company gets because OMG-GW!!! I wasn’t a fan at all (AT ALL) because caps emphasizes importants of opinions lul… Anyways I was a huge fan of GW2, loved BWE’s and launch, but the game slowly started turning into a game I didn’t like. Most companies try to improve the game over time, these so called “trolls” are just frustrated in the direction of the game.

If you don’t agree, fine, you don’t have to, but unless you’re making decisions for ANet, shut your trap.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The game (content and balance) is doing well in comparison to other popular MMORPGs that were under a year old at their respective times.

The community is in utter ruins as trolls and whining babies have risen from the waters of Orr and have taken over Lion’s Arch.

I knew the thread wouldn’t die a quick death because the naysayers were bound to come into it to try to argue their point. I just wanted a thread from the other side of the coin, since most of the threads about the games health have been negative (because people assume their opinions are going to kittenoed by most people).

I agree! I have yet to see a thread that mostly talks positively about the game’s health. There are a few threads in the Game Discussion branch that relates to that but not as widespread as this one.

The doom and gloom crowd would like everyone to believe that because they don’t like a game, or because it’s not for them, that everyone feels that way or even that most people do.

I’m sure there are some people who do feel the way they do…and I’m sure there are some people who feel the way I do.

Doom and gloom is much better than the fanboy praise the company gets because OMG-GW!!! I wasn’t a fan at all (AT ALL) because caps emphasizes importants of opinions lul… Anyways I was a huge fan of GW2, loved BWE’s and launch, but the game slowly started turning into a game I didn’t like. Most companies try to improve the game over time, these so called “trolls” are just frustrated in the direction of the game.

If you don’t agree, fine, you don’t have to, but unless you’re making decisions for ANet, shut your trap.

So can you like a game without being a fan boy? I’ve been meaning to ask you.

Because I don’t like some things and I do like other things. But most of all, I dislike people making mountains out of molehills. Minor things are lambasted as the end of the world. As for shutting my trap, let me give that suggestion all the consideration it is due.

Nappychappy.7046

Because I don’t like some things and I do like other things. But most of all, I dislike people making mountains out of molehills. Minor things are lambasted as the end of the world. As for shutting my trap, let me give that suggestion all the consideration it is due.

You fail to see my point. Both doom and gloom is just as good as praise, get over yourself man, seriously.

-edit, because all you want to do is argue your opinion, closing thread after thread with nonsense.

Vayne.8563

You fail to see my point. Both doom and gloom is just as good as praise, get over yourself man, seriously.

-edit, because all you want to do is argue your opinion, closing thread after thread with nonsense.

Nonsense? Like when I said Anet had a DR in Guild Wars 1 and you didn’t believe me so you asked for proof and it was provided?

Your opinion is stated in the most negative way possible. It doesn’t make you a hero. You’re not expressing yourself in a way that anyone could look at your posts and take them seriously except for the doom and gloom crowd.

I try to keep an open mind, and I have weighed on in threads about stuff I didn’t like…if they were presented in such a way that they weren’t just badly stated opinions filled with hyperbole and bad-mouthing.

There’s a difference between constructive criticism and claiming the game is dying and that no one will be playing it shortly. That may be your opinion, but saying it publicly on a game’s forum doesn’t do you any justice at all.

Sure I express my opinion. In my opinion,. five years from now, you’ll still be predicting the game will be dying any day now.

Will you still be running the same patter then?

Nappychappy.7046

Proof? A Wiki link? C’mon man… Really?

Your opinion is stated in the most positive way possible. It doesn’t make you a hero. You’re not expressing yourself in a way that anyone could look at your posts and take them seriously except for the fanboyism.

My constructive criticism died along time ago.

Pfft, soon as a game launches it is, whether you believe it, or not – dying. Other than that, if the game doesn’t change course it will be dead to me. However the game is less than 1 year old, I’ll give it a chance, but I will not hang on forever.

I usually make a few posts, see whats going on and leave – check my post history. Then you happened, so I’ve been here for a week or so, though I don’t make a day out of it, I am not as dedicated as you are.

Vayne.8563

Your opinion is stated in the most positive way possible. It doesn’t make you a hero. You’re not expressing yourself in a way that anyone could look at your posts and take them seriously except for the fanboyism.

Pfft, soon as a game launches it is, whether you believe it, or not – dying. Other than that, if the game doesn’t change course it will be dead to me. However the game is less than 1 year old, I’ll give it a chance, but I will not hang on forever.

I usually make a few posts, see whats going on and leave – check my post history. Then you happened, so I’ve been here for a week or so, though I don’t make a day out of it, I am not as dedicated as you are.

The wiki link also had sources that you conveniently ignored. You conveniently ignore lots of stuff. When I agree with complaints of some people, how come you don’t come in those thread to call me a fan boi?

Whether you hang out or not, makes no difference at all. There are plenty of players out here like me.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

The wiki link also had sources that you conveniently ignored. You conveniently ignore lots of stuff. When I agree with complaints of some people, how come you don’t come in those thread to call me a fan boi?

Whether you hang out or not, makes no difference at all. There are plenty of players out here like me.

Not to butt in, or say the game is doing badly, but the wiki link only stated that players thought that there was some form of dr, no links or quotes from anet staff.

Vayne.8563

Not to butt in, or say the game is doing badly, but the wiki link only stated that players thought that there was some form of dr, no links or quotes from anet staff.

There was a quote from the staff though on the other page, when they talked about changing the Underworld with the addition of the Skeletons of Dhuum. They explained in notes why they added them, so it was pretty clear.

Just saying.

killcannon.2576

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/ArenaNet:Developer_updates/20070420

The link with the Devs

What they say here, though, is that they didn’t want to stop legitimate farmers. Just bots mostly, they even added ways for hardcore farmers to make gold by selling stuff to other players. I don’t have strong feelings about farming, unless it concentrates open world populations.

Vayne.8563

Hi all! To understand if ppl play the game and if others are intrested in just take a look
to youtube…….when i was used ti play gw1 and i was looking for a way to farm( a build to farm) was easy go on google search monk/war/any profession ,( becouse classes ware belanced) and a youtube page popped up with thousand of view , with comment and discussion…….now today go on youtube and search a video with more of hundreds view……

But how many people back then were posting videos as compared to today? It’s a very different situation. Today everyone and their sister posts videos. Means very little, in the scheme of things.

Might as well look at what popular sites get as hits for Guild Wars 2. For example, on MMORPG.com Guild Wars 2 still consistently gets the most hits every month.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Hi all! To understand if ppl play the game and if others are intrested in just take a look
to youtube…….when i was used ti play gw1 and i was looking for a way to farm( a build to farm) was easy go on google search monk/war/any profession ,( becouse classes ware belanced) and a youtube page popped up with thousand of view , with comment and discussion…….now today go on youtube and search a video with more of hundreds view……

But how many people back then were posting videos as compared to today? It’s a very different situation. Today everyone and their sister posts videos. Means very little, in the scheme of things.

Might as well look at what popular sites get as hits for Guild Wars 2. For example, on MMORPG.com Guild Wars 2 still consistently gets the most hits every month.

Doing a Youtube search for “Guild Wars 2” returns ~810,000 videos
Youtube search “GW2” gets another 310,000 videos.

The GW2 Trailer “Our Time is Now” has 2.5 million views
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4R5Q0ZOTa8&list=UUP_FgMqOxp_VsM0UfrL-DxA&index=23

And the main page on the Official Wiki has been accessed 17,518,736 times.

killcannon.2576

Oh gods, it has come down to page links and youtube vids. The wiki link for the Bubonic plague gets a lot of hits too, although I suppose that could be a great marketing tool "More popular than the plague! Buy now! or else…. . And now gw2 has to compete with cats playing the piano. Abandon all hope ye who enter here. /thread

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

To all those who think GW2 is doing Good because they’re hiring :

Explanation

• Other companies fire their workers because they finished the game in 1-10 years, and for continues update they don’t need that many workers
  • GW2 is extremely small company
  • They have only 2 people working on Professions, Weapon Skills, Utilities, Balance, Elite skills etc….
  • Most of their work/“art” is unfinished, as the attachment shows

Don’t mix hiring because of success with hiring for needs

Attachments:

Vayne.8563

To all those who think GW2 is doing Good because they’re hiring :

Explanation

• Other companies fire their workers because they finished the game in 1-10 years, and for continues update they don’t need that many workers
  • GW2 is extremely small company
  • They have only 2 people working on Professions, Weapon Skills, Utilities, Balance, Elite skills etc….
  • Most of their work/“art” is unfinished, as the attachment shows

Don’t mix hiring because of success with hiring for needs

Silliest post in the thread. Let’s pretend the game didn’t meet expectations (which it did, at least according to the stock market anyway). Let’s pretend that the game wasn’t making money.

No one in any software publishing industry is going to “throw good money after bad”. When games dont’ work out, people pull out of them. That really is how it works. It might not work that way in supermarkets or retail stores. But it sure as hell works that way in game development.

If your game, which sells the most copies it’s going to sell during the first month of it’s existence, is not successful by the half year point, the last thing you do is throw money at it.

Vayne.8563

Oh gods, it has come down to page links and youtube vids. The wiki link for the Bubonic plague gets a lot of hits too, although I suppose that could be a great marketing tool "More popular than the plague! Buy now! or else…. . And now gw2 has to compete with cats playing the piano. Abandon all hope ye who enter here. /thread

If we were throwing /thread around for every time someone on this forum said something ridiculous, there wouldn’t be much of a forum.

I agree Youtube videos don’t mean much, certainly they don’t prove the company’s success. Other indicators suggest the game is doing well, though.

Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

I just skimmed trough this Thread and Vayne seems the …almost …only one to defend GW2 XD … (on multiple threads XD ..I remembered him because I know where he took that name from …)
Over and over and over again …

I stated the Facts and Logic
You stated your Opinion

Chill out hun and go outside , get some sunlight on your skin

No matter HOW MUCH you want to believe otherwise, GW2 disappointed (and to this day still does) many people. My Guild has over 300 members, and ~10 of them Daily are happy with the GW2, and other ~150 active Daily scream at bugs/glitches/unfairness/no build diversity/ armors

There isn’t a single thing ORIGINAL in GW2 that you can’t find in other games, while most of the CORE MECHANICS

• Skills
  • Builds
  • Professions
  • Armors
  • Events
  • Dungeons
  • WvW

are Unfair, No Diversity, Bugged, Glitched , Boring and Unoriginal, don’t work ….
the list goes on and on

Yes, GW2 HAS EXTREMELY AMAZING AND EXCELENT CONCEPTS … I will never be able to stress that enough.

But the END PRODUCT FAILED the designated CONCEPTIONS

Vayne.8563

I just skimmed trough this Thread and Vayne seems the …almost …only one to defend GW2 XD … (on multiple threads XD ..I remembered him because I know where he took that name from …)

You stated your Opinion

No matter HOW MUCH you want to believe otherwise, GW2 disappointed (and to this day still does) many people. My Guild has over 300 members, and ~10 of them Daily are happy with the GW2, and other ~150 active Daily scream at bugs/glitches/unfairness/no build diversity/ armors

There isn’t a single thing ORIGINAL in GW2 that you can’t find in other games, while most of the CORE MECHANICS

• Skills
  • Builds
  • Professions
  • Armors
  • Events
  • Dungeons
  • WvW

are Unfair, No Diversity, Bugged, Glitched , Boring and Unoriginal, don’t work ….
the list goes on and on

Yes, GW2 HAS EXTREMELY AMAZING AND EXCELENT CONCEPTS … I will never be able to stress that enough.

1. You have no clue where I got the name. Just saying. No it has nothing to do with the Vaynes from any video game.

2. The game hasn’t failed design concepts just because you say so. In fact, the game hasn’t failed design concepts for some people.

It really is a matter of personal taste, something some of you will never understand. Nor will you understand that I don’t really care if someone likes or doesn’t like the game. That’s not my problem.

It’s people who relish in coming onto a game’s forum to say the game is dying (with no proof of it), that need to be taken down a peg.

Frankly, it matters not at all to me whether or not the game is for everyone. It probably doesn’t matter to Anet either. What matters is that there are enough people like me to keep the game going strong. I believe there are. Clearly other people believe there aren’t.

I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see.

Lillian Wandom Hale.7102

You stated your Opinion

• Skills
  • Builds
  • Professions
  • Armors
  • Events
  • Dungeons
  • WvW

the list goes on and on

1. You have no clue where I got the name. Just saying. No it has nothing to do with the Vaynes from any video game.

2. The game hasn’t failed design concepts just because you say so. In fact, the game hasn’t failed design concepts for some people.

It really is a matter of personal taste, something some of you will never understand. Nor will you understand that I don’t really care if someone likes or doesn’t like the game. That’s not my problem.

It’s people who relish in coming onto a game’s forum to say the game is dying (with no proof of it), that need to be taken down a peg.

Frankly, it matters not at all to me whether or not the game is for everyone. It probably doesn’t matter to Anet either. What matters is that there are enough people like me to keep the game going strong. I believe there are. Clearly other people believe there aren’t.

Thx God I only have to respond to 2 since other stuff is rubbish

Response to 2.
(I suspect that you play easy class) ..but tell me ..did you ever hoped , that you’r main/favorite classes will have skills that HEAL THE ENEMY (bug/glitch that hasn’t been fixed for OVER 9 months after game’s release ??? )

You’re a player that’s happy with shiny colors, but there are players that actually like to play the game…

And you’re 100% RIGHT, ANET doesn’t care … Nobody will opose you on that

That’s why there are companies that DO care for their community

People come to forums to say what’s wrong with game …not to say “Thank you for (lousy) game” …
I don’t know where do you come from ..but that’s kinda the POINT OF FORUMS ^^

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

(I suspect that you play easy class) ..but tell me ..did you ever hoped , that you’r main/favorite classes will have skills that HEAL THE ENEMY (bug/glitch that hasn’t been fixed for OVER 9 months after game’s release ??? )

I’m only missing necro as I have all other professions at 67-80 level, which skill is doing that? Just curious

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

The point of forums is to promote all sorts of ideas and opinions. They should neither be only a whinefest or a cheerleading rally, and they should be both.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The point of forums is to promote all sorts of ideas and opinions. They should neither be only a whinefest or a cheerleading rally, and they should be both.

That’s true, but ideas/opinions must be presented in a constructive manner, so as to promote further discussion. Sadly, many people post their own ideas as facts, without any basis, and then threads go downhill from there.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

That’s true, but ideas/opinions must be presented in a constructive manner, so as to promote further discussion. Sadly, many people post their own ideas as facts, without any basis, and then threads go downhill from there.

And there lies the Springer-esque fun of reading forums. Especially gaming ones.

:)

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Vayne.8563

You stated your Opinion

• Skills
  • Builds
  • Professions
  • Armors
  • Events
  • Dungeons
  • WvW

the list goes on and on

Thx God I only have to respond to 2 since other stuff is rubbish

Response to 2.

You’re a player that’s happy with shiny colors, but there are players that actually like to play the game…

And you’re 100% RIGHT, ANET doesn’t care … Nobody will opose you on that

That’s why there are companies that DO care for their community

People come to forums to say what’s wrong with game …not to say “Thank you for (lousy) game” …
I don’t know where do you come from ..but that’s kinda the POINT OF FORUMS ^^

You say I’m the only one who defends Anet. I guess you really haven’t read the thread. There are as many people in this thread defending the game as attacking it. Actually the number of people who attack it, are about the same as the number of people who are identified as fan bois.

As with all the negative people, you see only what you want.

Go count the thread, count the posters, count the for and against, and you tell me that there are more people who dislike this game than like it.

Because by my count, just as many or more people like the game as dislike it. If you coun’t each poster once, see how many people think the game is doing well. I’ll wait here.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

One thing that I find interesting is that arenanet appear to have taken down those blog articles talking about the initial design of the game. The manifesto, the one on ‘fun’ being the overriding objective…………. Clearly they don’t want to be seen to be beholden to those initial design principles and another sign about how they’ve changed.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

killcannon.2576

If we were throwing /thread around for every time someone on this forum said something ridiculous, there wouldn’t be much of a forum.

I agree Youtube videos don’t mean much, certainly they don’t prove the company’s success. Other indicators suggest the game is doing well, though.

Just saying it’s dead to me, no longer anything constructive being said. Just they say/ we say stuff. GW2 is doing fine imo, taking part in quotemania won’t change that for me.

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

Yes it’s doing well and is a beautiful game that’s designed very bad. Once you get past the beauty and see how shallow the game really it’s just like any other game based on gambling.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

Posted by: Brehus.1258

Brehus.1258

I believe GW2 would be doing even better if more people could actually run the game.
If you don’t have a high end processor that is super OCed the game just doesn’t run that great.

[Intel i7 3770K] [8GB DDR3] [EVGA GTX 660 SC 2GB][2TB HDD]

(edited by Brehus.1258)

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I believe GW2 would be doing even better if more people could actually run the game.
If you don’t have a high end processor that is super OCed the game just doesn’t run that great.

My wife has a Dell from 2005 dual core.. with a maybe 100 dollar card.. And 3 whopping GB of ram. How dumbed down can they make a game tech wise lol.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Drew.1865

The game is a piece of art visually and it makes my friends iMac overheat and puts a strain on my MacBook pro but my mother’s dell run’s it very well but does get hot to the touch playing it.

They will optimize the engine in time but you will need a computer that can run this game if you plan on playing future mmos.

Geotherma.2395

The game is a piece of art visually and it makes my friends iMac overheat and puts a strain on my MacBook pro but my mother’s dell run’s it very well but does get hot to the touch playing it.

They will optimize the engine in time but you will need a computer that can run this game if you plan on playing future mmos.

Great point.

Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

yeah its doing well

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Yes it’s doing well and is a beautiful game that’s designed very bad. Once you get past the beauty and see how shallow the game really it’s just like any other game based on gambling.

So is every other mmorpg that has ever been made. If RNG is your problem you should give up on online games because they all have some type of RNG to them.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

If you don’t like acid, you should really give up on water, because all liquids have some type of pH value to them.

Drew.1865

So is every other mmorpg that has ever been made. If RNG is your problem you should give up on online games because they all have some type of RNG to them.

Every other mmo doesn’t do what Anet has done to loot in this game and anyone who played this in beta til now knows loot in this game has been nerfed into the ground.

Geotherma.2395

Every other mmo doesn’t do what Anet has done to loot in this game and anyone who played this in beta til now knows loot in this game has been nerfed into the ground.

Every MMO doesn’t change loot? Like um.. Aion? I have no problem with loot.

Posted by: Wemil.7052

Wemil.7052

how about you look at the servers population how many servers check a high server and x how many servers it got and you find population.

also the 3 million sold some is also sold at this moment and so on

the new expansions bring new ppls and more are playing WvW(believe the game was more made for WvW now) its guild wars after all.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well ya that Beta most of the game makers open up beta to make it so players can get a though a lot of content as fast as they can so they can make sure the game is working right. That why you have a beta to make sure its working and if ppl cant get to some content or get items to drop then that part of the game is not tested. This is why i say away from beta it give ppl the wrong ideas about games both good and bad. I think all of the ones who seem to be the loudest complainers tend to be the ones who played beta from day one and have an unrealistic view on the full version of the games they play.

You will never progress as fast as you do in a Beta if you cant get past that idea you too should avoid Beta for games.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

http://www.arena.net/

If Guild Wars 2 is doing so badly and the game is dying, why is Anet hiring?

Perhaps employees are leaving to go elsewhere? This could be a double-edged sword, so it doesn’t really tell us anything.

Although there are a few prominent people out there who used to work for them. But I’ll let you do your own Googling so I’m not naming names…

Vayne.8563

And why did the just expand server volume to hold more people on various servers? That might be a better question.

Chuo.4238

And why did the just expand server volume to hold more people on various servers? That might be a better question.

Did they? Or has the name changed from “full” to “very high”?

No, I’m not a conspiracy theorist, and I’m not advocating tinfoil hats. I AM saying, however, that it’s not hard to create a perception that’s different from reality, and people often do…so I tend to ask myself questions before accepting some things at face value.

So my point is, we really don’t know, and there’s no way for us to figure it out.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

No, I’m not a conspiracy theorist, and I’m not advocating tinfoil hats. I AM saying, however, that it’s not hard to create a perception that’s different from reality, and people often do…so I tend to ask myself questions before accepting some things at face value.

So my point is, we really don’t know, and there’s no way for us to figure it out.

1. They said they did
2. More servers are experiencing overflow in zones that there shouldn’t be an overflow on
3. I’m seeing more complete newbies on Underworld than I did before.

Vayne.8563

They absolutely did. Apparently their recent sale did very well, and they have an influx of people coming in. This was said by a dev in another thread.

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

I can’t believe a company’s sales just because they tell me. What I can tell you is that I was able to get three friends to play the game. Two of them played for less than a week because it was boring mainly because they aren’t mmo players and my convincing them didn’t work for long. They are smart and weren’t sold by the game design whether or not what I told them. The other kid got to level 80 and quit and told me how boring and how much it sucked once your level 80. He was perhaps a little more critical than he should have been. I have yet to finish the game because I just don’t have the incentive to, nothing is grabbing my attention. When I want to play a game where I go around doing random nonsense I’ll play a sandbox game. In an mmo, something has to make me want to keep playing and nothing does so far. I’m in two guilds. One that has around 150 inactive players and the other is a small guild around 10 who are all inactive. Nobody wants to come back because all the content is mostly temporary. The fractals is a nice idea and I have played it a few times, I just don’t see the point in making special armor for it that is better than the armor you’d get from the rest of the game. Eventually, they will add more ways of obtaining it and it will be more universal, but them it just seems like such a pointless addition if it serves no purpose besides sectioning off people from doing certain content. Sure they may be getting a bunch of new players, but it seems everyone I come in contact with in this game quits after a week. Perhaps I’m cursed, but I highly doubt it.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I can’t believe a company’s sales just because they tell me. What I can tell you is that I was able to get three friends to play the game. Two of them played for less than a week because it was boring mainly because they aren’t mmo players and my convincing them didn’t work for long. They are smart and weren’t sold by the game design whether or not what I told them. The other kid got to level 80 and quit and told me how boring and how much it sucked once your level 80. He was perhaps a little more critical than he should have been. I have yet to finish the game because I just don’t have the incentive to, nothing is grabbing my attention. When I want to play a game where I go around doing random nonsense I’ll play a sandbox game. In an mmo, something has to make me want to keep playing and nothing does so far. I’m in two guilds. One that has around 150 inactive players and the other is a small guild around 10 who are all inactive. Nobody wants to come back because all the content is mostly temporary. The fractals is a nice idea and I have played it a few times, I just don’t see the point in making special armor for it that is better than the armor you’d get from the rest of the game. Eventually, they will add more ways of obtaining it and it will be more universal, but them it just seems like such a pointless addition if it serves no purpose besides sectioning off people from doing certain content. Sure they may be getting a bunch of new players, but it seems everyone I come in contact with in this game quits after a week. Perhaps I’m cursed, but I highly doubt it.

you see you’re basing it off your own personal experience. My experience is opposite to yours, I’ve managed to both pull some people into the game and then pull some people into the guild I’m in. None left so far. And I’ve been here for 7 months. The game is not for everyone, but just because you dislike it, doesn’t mean all people dislike it.

ScottBroChill.3254

you see you’re basing it off your own personal experience. My experience is opposite to yours, I’ve managed to both pull some people into the game and then pull some people into the guild I’m in. None left so far. And I’ve been here for 7 months. The game is not for everyone, but just because you dislike it, doesn’t mean all people dislike it.

Yeah it is my opinion, and what I saw was factual. Don’t take what I say personally. I’m saying everything I see within the community, even in game, contradicts the success anet is having. I AM SAYING, and I put it in caps because it’s me and I’m speaking for no one else but you seem to think so, that in my experience of the game people are generally not interested in this game once the initial dazzle wears off.

I’m pretty sure that last part of what I said even implies that I may be wrong and that I am basing it off my opinion. No need to tell me what I already know and have said.

Vayne.8563

Here’s the problem. Lots of MMO players won’t like this game. Lots of people who don’t like MMOs may. That’s an interesting comment, because there are more people who don’t play MMOs than do. In fact, there are more gamers who don’t play MMOs than do. By an order of magnitude.

The last time I researched this there were 200 million gamers, less than ten percent of which played MMOs.

So yeah, your MMO friends might not like it. People trained for years to buy into the end game fiction of MMOs today and gear grind and gear gated content, they might not get it.

But there are a whole lot of other people who didn’t like what was on offer there and those people get it. I think there are more than enough people.

I don’t really care if a bunch of raiders and competitive guys don’t see the appeal of this game. I don’t really believe that’s Guild Wars 2 main target audience.

With the age of the average gamer rising every year, more and more, games like Guild Wars 2 will have an audience.

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

Yeah it is my opinion, and what I saw was factual. Don’t take what I say personally. I’m saying everything I see within the community, even in game, contradicts the success anet is having. I AM SAYING, and I put it in caps because it’s me and I’m speaking for no one else but you seem to think so, that in my experience of the game people are generally not interested in this game once the initial dazzle wears off.

I’m pretty sure that last part of what I said even implies that I may be wrong and that I am basing it off my opinion. No need to tell me what I already know and have said.

I can put what you’re doing into a kind of analogy. You’re trying to gauge the ratio of men:women in the world and so you look at one building in New York city and look at how many people are working there.

You then come to the conclusion that there are 50:20 respectively men to women in the world.

When you look at such a small sample size to represent a value on the massive scale, you will inevitably receive corrupted data.

Your personal experience tells you that there are people unhappy in the game and that represents the game as a whole. You formulated your opinion on the game based on your observations of others, this isn’t something you should do in the first place.

You play the game to enjoy it for yourself, formulate your own opinions and then if you like it, you play and if you don’t, you quit. This will in no way indicate sales and growth of the game as you must understand that others don’t share your opinion.

When Arenanet say “we’re getting lots of new players” you said “I don’t believe you because myself and a bunch of people I saw either don’t play or don’t like the game”. You can’t really make this statement without being put under extreme scrutiny as the fact is that there are millions of people playing and enjoying the game.

Your statement should have been “Lots of people are playing, great! I don’t agree with them though”. Your opinion was that you don’t believe their numbers when your basis for this was yet again, just your opinion. I hope you can see why you’d be criticized for this because I don’t want to appear rude or inconsiderate.

ScottBroChill.3254

I mean one of the friends that quits thinks runescape is more fun, but that’s some other kind of sorcery…

ScottBroChill.3254

I can put what you’re doing into a kind of analogy. You’re trying to gauge the ratio of men:women in the world and so you look at one building in New York city and look at how many people are working there.

You then come to the conclusion that there are 50:20 respectively men to women in the world.

When you look at such a small sample size to represent a value on the massive scale, you will inevitably receive corrupted data.

Your personal experience tells you that there are people unhappy in the game and that represents the game as a whole. You formulated your opinion on the game based on your observations of others, this isn’t something you should do in the first place.

You play the game to enjoy it for yourself, formulate your own opinions and then if you like it, you play and if you don’t, you quit. This will in no way indicate sales and growth of the game as you must understand that others don’t share your opinion.

When Arenanet say “we’re getting lots of new players” you said “I don’t believe you because myself and a bunch of people I saw either don’t play or don’t like the game”. You can’t really make this statement without being put under extreme scrutiny as the fact is that there are millions of people playing and enjoying the game.

Your statement should have been “Lots of people are playing, great! I don’t agree with them though”. Your opinion was that you don’t believe their numbers when your basis for this was yet again, just your opinion. I hope you can see why you’d be criticized for this because I don’t want to appear rude or inconsiderate.

But, that is exactly what I said. I said I can’t say what’s actually going on except that this is my experience. I said that. So I think we’re done telling Scott what he meant by what he said because he meant exactly what he said.

Chuo.4238

I very much agree with ScottBroChill that just because a company says they are doing well, doesn’t mean they are. These things can affect share values, and the like.

Which brings me back to my original point. We don’t know, and we have no way of knowing.