Posted by: Rodrico.1853

Rodrico.1853

^^ agreed and I’m sooo bored.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Annecdotal evidence.

Of the 80 people I started playing this game with 60 of them still log in. The guild has about doubled in size, without going out of our way to recruit.

Guilds like TTS have so many members, they have to spread out over many guilds, because 500 can’t hold them.

This game has found a niche and there’s nothing else that can satisfy the people who like it. It may be in the future that something else will come along to challenge that, but so far, it’s not the case.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: mergi.1407

mergi.1407

Zombie farmers cannot die! But a dead cat can bounce from time to time.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

Maybe the next LS arc will be something more epic and they can release some advertising around that.

That was what I was hoping for after the Aetherblade LS. Sad to say Scarlet is still here to stay. I hope she’s the one dying right now and not the game itself.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Vayne.8563

Maybe the next LS arc will be something more epic and they can release some advertising around that.

That was what I was hoping for after the Aetherblade LS. Sad to say Scarlet is still here to stay. I hope she’s the one dying right now and not the game itself.

I don’t understand all this focus on Scarlet. I’m not fighting Scarlet. I’m fighting a toxic alliance. She’s an instigator, and as such she’s dangerous, but so are the creatures she calls into being.

When I fought Zhaitan, I had to fight hordes of risen. Scarlet has her “allies” too, or people she manipulates and helps to create weapons.

She has a goal to destroy for no other reason than to see what grows in the place of destruction. Not particularly sane, but a much more interesting villain to me than Zhaitan was, who just wanted to destroy for no real reason.

But since I’m fighting nightmare court and krait, rather than Scarlet, I’m not really sure why the focus is on Scarlet.

I quite like the tower.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

No. We just need underflow servers.

Having servers in a PvE game was a really flawed design decision because it segregates players. Across all servers, you could have about 50 people inside Field of Ruins, but only see 3 ingame because of the many servers.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Spawne.3128

Spawne.3128

If you consider all the factors involved right now, yes the game is dying, and quickly at that. For the games size and competition at the present time, there should be roughly 5x as many people playing at any given time as there are right now, but we aren’t seeing that at all, in fact I would go as far as to say there has been a gradual decline in the amount of OG players online now. Mainly from a sheer lack of new content and story being introduced by the developers. You can throw as much into WvW and Fractals as you want, but its not going to keep the majority of the player base coming back once it gets new competition from other MMO’s in the works. The vast majority of people buy these games for the story and content, which this game lacks considerably. The new ascended armors are even more evidence of this, there is nothing interesting, or enticing about them and the majority of owners will just transmute right over them back to OLD style gear.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I think there was one of these posted about a year go and how it would not last a year i think GW2 still here. This was started 20 days ago and there are countless one started later then this and yet the game still here i am not sure but in that line of logic the game is not dying or at least these post are not saying any thing that is true.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Vayne.8563

If you consider all the factors involved right now, yes the game is dying, and quickly at that. For the games size and competition at the present time, there should be roughly 5x as many people playing at any given time as there are right now, but we aren’t seeing that at all, in fact I would go as far as to say there has been a gradual decline in the amount of OG players online now. Mainly from a sheer lack of new content and story being introduced by the developers. You can throw as much into WvW and Fractals as you want, but its not going to keep the majority of the player base coming back once it gets new competition from other MMO’s in the works. The vast majority of people buy these games for the story and content, which this game lacks considerably. The new ascended armors are even more evidence of this, there is nothing interesting, or enticing about them and the majority of owners will just transmute right over them back to OLD style gear.

Curious as to where you get your numbers.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: They change.3526

They change.3526

Yes, it is dying.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

To use myself as a unit of measure, I’m not a huge fan of MMOs and I’ve been playing GW2 for over a year now. I do not see myself leaving any time soon. In my eyes GW2 is not dying

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Is GW2 “dying”? Of course it is…just like everything, technically!

Forced “glass half empty” silliness aside, it’s a impossible thing for us to fully ascertain. Near launch I was in a low-tier, “High” population server. While leveling after Queensdale, I rarely saw _any_one. I held my reservations until endgame when I still didnt see anybody, even in Orr.

It was when I transferred shortly after to Sorrows Furnace that all changed: people everywhere! I was blown away, so much that I didn’t mind all the crazy particle effects (there were so many people!)

At present day? Its dwindled down a whole lot in SF, from my perspective. Sure, the most standard “farm favorable” areas and the LS are popular, but otherwise it’s incredibly sparse.

This isn’t indicative of much as I’m just a single sample size, and there are people experiencing the opposite. But I’d like to hope it was worth telling.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Well, it’s dead to me. Occasional check-backs to see if they’ve made a fun game yet still come up negative. Starting to get too late – too many exciting things on the horizon…and even the old standby game is more fun than GW2 at the moment.

To be honest, it’s very refreshing and liberating to stop caring about GW2.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: They change.3526

They change.3526

It’s their own fault for continuing to throw out content they know we don’t like. I think they want it to die. The game is obviously boring. Living world doesn’t immerse you in anything. It’s just a new piece of green stained tissue every two weeks with scarlets face on it. PvE, what is there to fight in the environment that’s challenging? Champions? Please. They killed their game, only thing they got good going atm is WvW. We told them we were bored WAY back. They still produce the same stuff. As for player mentality, it’s not boring just because anyone thinks it’s boring. If a lot of people think it’s boring, it’s obviously dying. Just because a game is young does not mean it can’t die young.

GW1 will always be better. This had potential until they ruined it. I don’t mind them pulling the attention away from the dragons. But scarlet? That’s a joke. It really is. Whenever I hear her spam “Die.. die die die… die die die!” in WvW. I just want to slap whoever does the voice over for her. Every two weeks for content is them being lazy. Instead of giving us something where we can progress and actually feel it we wait two weeks for them to give us the same stuff. It’s all just a matter of time.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

The game is heavily segregated with all the different servers and gamemodes. WvW players will literally spend their entire time playing in WvW, Spvpers will do the same and most PvEers will be dungeon running. If you want to see people in the open world there are three maps where you’re certain to find a decently sized group: Queensdales, Cursed Shore and Frostgorge Sound.

I’ll gladly admit the game is dying when my PC starts to get 60fps in lions arch.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

They should never have made the economy open with variable prices…. that was their most stupid decision ever, since it creates huge differences in the player base. Farmers farm tooooooooooons of gold, making gold totally worthless and most drops extremely cheap.

We don’t farm tons of gold. If we did, we wouldn’t farm so much. We are just mostly grinding away to get enough money for a precursor or legendary mats.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I’ve been playing less because I’m waiting for the GvG update and Guild Halls.
Maybe the new WvW map will motivate me a bit.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

its not the destination, its the journey that matters. everything ends eventually, so just enjoy it while it lasts – savour the moment

as for me, i spent most of my time secluded inside dungeons, with few exceptions to come out do some guild missions, wvw or ls if i feel like it. i like the tower btw, because there are always lots of players that need help there and helping is fun

kill all ze thingz

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

this is a post that was few weeks after the release of the game! https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-is-so-NOT-dying-LOL/first#post56099
People saying is dying since then, so yeah just dont listen to comments in forums or youtube, the game for now is more than fine…

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I strongly suspect anet will need to merge servers after the launch of the next MMO. GW2 chose a very good time to launch. We have been over a year without a new MMO being released, but that grace period is quickly coming to a close. The 2 week rushed buggy living story content will not be enough to hold players here when one of the new games launch. I’ve had 3 guilds of 500 die off since launch, my current one is going strong, but there is a lot of talk about leaving once ESO and wildstar come out, apparently people in the betas enjoy them quite a lot.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

I feel so much better now.

I just thought people hated me and left my server on purpose.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Exactly and like they say in the latest actual quarterly report while boxes sales are down which is understandable considering all those who wanted to buy the game bought it, for the 5th consecutive quarter cash shop revenues are up.

that means 1 of two things

either more people are playing the game and spending money hence cash shop sales are higher now then ever before since launch
or less people are playing now but spending a ton more then they did since launch.

In anycase their main revenue is the cash shop so technically the game is still growing.

Not only that but next year they’re launching in asia which is the world biggest mmo market so they’ll probably double those numbers which are already great as they are.

Dont see any dieing myself.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Exactly and like they say in the latest actual quarterly report while boxes sales are down which is understandable considering all those who wanted to buy the game bought it, for the 5th consecutive quarter cash shop revenues are up.

that means 1 of two things

either more people are playing the game and spending money hence cash shop sales are higher now then ever before since launch
or less people are playing now but spending a ton more then they did since launch.

In anycase their main revenue is the cash shop so technically the game is still growing.

Not only that but next year they’re launching in asia which is the world biggest mmo market so they’ll probably double those numbers which are already great as they are.

Dont see any dieing myself.

Thank you. People seem to have a really bad case of confirmation bias.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Sifu.6527

Sifu.6527

Hey Guys,

I Guild Wars 2 dying?

There is barely anyone playing PVE from what i am observing… Bosses, major events and other interactive mechanisms are basically empty, played GW2 for 3-4 hrs today, have only seen less than 10ppl around PVE. Is it because i am in a low lvl area? or is GW2 dying??

PS im lvl 24 in lvl 1-30 areas.

It has never been the same since i left GW2 a few months ago… So little ppl playing? There isn’t much fun now T_T where are all of the players???

The financial trend indicate so.

1Q 2013 sales were $13.2M
2Q 2013 sales were $10.2M
3Q 2013 sales were $8.8M

So roughly a 20% decrease quarter over quarter.

Remember, this report is sales not EBIT.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Hey Guys,

I Guild Wars 2 dying?

There is barely anyone playing PVE from what i am observing… Bosses, major events and other interactive mechanisms are basically empty, played GW2 for 3-4 hrs today, have only seen less than 10ppl around PVE. Is it because i am in a low lvl area? or is GW2 dying??

It has never been the same since i left GW2 a few months ago… So little ppl playing? There isn’t much fun now T_T where are all of the players???

3Q 2013 sales were $8.8M

Box sales. Look at cash shop sales :P

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Hey Guys,

I Guild Wars 2 dying?

3Q 2013 sales were $8.8M

Not too surprised to be honest. The game came out a year ago, and that 20% decrease just says a natural trend of decreasing box sales because they’ve captured more and more of the audience that’s interested in the game.

The question now is that how are they going to generate more income? Usually this is done either by a subscription, an expansion or DLCs. GW2 has none of those and I’m still yet to be convinced you can run an AAA game on the cashshop alone.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Curious as to where you get your numbers.

I’m sure he’s rounding up to the nearest whole number after all of his complicated number crunching to reach his “roughly 5x as many people” conclusion. He won’t bore you with his research I’m sure.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

There is not any information on the income of Gw2 versus its expenditures. Which is all you really need to know. The link you provided, is very literally just about all we do not need to know. Almost no one in that thread had a clue about what was going on, yet made post as if they did. Similar to what your doing here.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Batercus.6257

Batercus.6257

The open world seems empty because people complained enough to get every open world method of farming destroyed. They reap what they sow. outside of Teq kills once in a while there is little reason reward wise to go into the open world. There is still the Dolly farming, but I’m sure it will get hit soon too.

WvW is still fun though!

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Paz Shadow.9715

Paz Shadow.9715

IMO it is not dying, I am in JQ so that may be why but it seems more active than ever. The thing about this game though is unless youre in an active guild it can feel real lonely. Guild involvement really helps with keeping the game interesting.

Green Eye of Grenth | PR Officer | JQ

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I don’t think it is, but it may be for me. ‘One’ little change recently smells ‘funny’ to me, and if it turns out it’s not a bug and doesn’t swing back to the way it’s supposed to be, I’m out.

I’m not keen on having values forced on me.

But in lieu of my feelings on ‘the one thing’, it’s a fantastic game and I think it’s doing just fine. I hope I get to stay.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I don’t think it is, but it may be for me. ‘One’ little change recently smells ‘funny’ to me, and if it turns out it’s not a bug and doesn’t swing back to the way it’s supposed to be, I’m out.

I’m not keen on having values forced on me.

But in lieu of my feelings on ‘the one thing’, it’s a fantastic game and I think it’s doing just fine. I hope I get to stay.

What is this thing you are talking about?

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Ahm no,

people are just pursuing different activities now compared to months ago.

In PvE champion farming is in, event-farming, even world bosses…is out.

sPvP has always been out.

WvW is more popular than ever, even with the Season coming to a close.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Op, try to log in GW1 and you’ll know what is a true dead game.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

Op, try to log in GW1 and you’ll know what is a true dead game.

But don’t login on when we run Urgoz, co’s you’ll hear people having fun.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

played wildstar and teso beta and have to say – gw2 will never die^^

thx for your time

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

This game is in dire need of a content add that only a paid expansion could add. I would be perfectly happy to pay for an expansion if it were to add significant content.

They didn’t deliver on their initial box what makes you think people would pay for a 2nd in the form of an expansion?

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

This game has found a niche and there’s nothing else that can satisfy the people who like it.

That is true people that like repetitive grind have an excellent home here.

It may be in the future that something else will come along to challenge that, but so far, it’s not the case.

Challenge? EVE currently as of right now has 46,000+ concurrent connections. With 400,000+ active subs I think it was 500k but don’t have the quote so will knock it down abit X $15 per month comes out to 6mil + a month. That games numbers keep going up. With 24 mil per quarter for GW2 you average about 8 mil a month in Gem store sales. They are generally unstable by their nature but tend to be much much higher profits then a monthly sub. So just vs EVE GW2 is only a little better numerically putting it WAY BELOW trend for the industry.

Don’t even compare to WoW that has nearly as many subscribers each month as dollars in ANets earning call……

There is no challenge GW2s not even a contender lol.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: GSSBlunaspike.4153

GSSBlunaspike.4153

There is not any information on the income of Gw2 versus its expenditures. Which is all you really need to know. The link you provided, is very literally just about all we do not need to know. Almost no one in that thread had a clue about what was going on, yet made post as if they did. Similar to what your doing here.

I come to these forums every once in awhile to laugh at the level of ignorance that is allowed to run rampant here. GW2 was supposed to rival WoW? What a joke, and WoW for that matter isn’t even a shadow on the moba markets.

http://www.ncsoft.net/global/ir/earnings.aspx

That is true people that like repetitive grind have an excellent home here.

So very true. They should have to stamp that on the packaging like some kind of surgeon generals warning.

Danger: This product is not a healthy alternative to suicide. Grinding has been shown to cause a loss of the will to live. etc

(edited by GSSBlunaspike.4153)

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

Guilds like TTS have so many members, they have to spread out over many guilds, because 500 can’t hold them.

I’m (was) from Gunnar’s Hold and there’s that guild who claimed to have more than 900 members spread on two guilds… Then i joined them to see that there were only 25/30 active members at any given time.

Anyway, game’s far from dying, but that doesn’t mean it’s all good and awesome as the devs used to let us know couple months ago (speaking of wich, weren’t they going to announce another major milestone in selling back in august?).
People’s not happy (as usual, not gonna say how many because i don’t want the thread being derailed like all the time), people’s leaving and that’s happening now that GW2 is still basically flying solo.
When other big names comes out, GW2’s situation will likely turns FUBAR.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Galen Grey.4709

@GSSBlunaspike Things are always relative….

WoW is an undisputed king of income but it isnt king of popularity like you seem to believe, Not even MOBAs are. Many F2P MMOs see player counts that WoW can only dream of.

Consider Runescape for example:
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/200_million_accounts_celebration

Point being to be successful you dont need to be on top. no one would claim runescape is more successful then WoW yet its more popular in orders of magnitude.

Gw2 did over $200m in its first year. Its likely to exceed that in its 2nd year when it releases in Asia. And then the year after that if everything remains as is they’ll still be making about $200m a year off the cash shop. Not just that but if they release a paid expansion at any point in the future thats nearly a guaranteed $300-400m on top of the $200m yearly cash shop income. (assuming they make 3m sales in asia like they did in the west and expansion sells for $60)

EvE online has been considered a successful MMO for years and their current subscription based income is $90m a year much less in previous years when it still was considered a success. Gw2 is doing twice as much while released in 1/2 the market EvE online is and people are stating Gw2 is doomed and dieing while EvE is a success story? I dont think you’re correct in your believe of who’s being misguided here.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: ButterOfDeath.2873

ButterOfDeath.2873

This is the kind of question that forces me to log in.
How do you even estimate if a server is dying? OFC,you check how many players are online. However,when the game was launched there has been an obvious spike in players,so technically every game is dying,AND THAT’S NORMAL.
Now i’d ask you: Are you dying? Unless you’re kinda old,the normal answer would be no,instead we start to die as soon as we’re born,just like videogames.

Which means the statements:
1) “The game is not dying” is FALSE as every game dies slowly over time from release date
2) “The game is dying” is OBVIOUSLY TRUE as it couldn’t be otherwise.

People shouldn’t argue about a game dying or not,but about player density.
My personal opinion about this is that we’re just pretending too much from a game.
How do we except a game to give a sense of reward if it rewards us for every little action; How can we except a game to make us proud of obtaining something if it promises to allow players obtain anything with relatively low effort? (Hi legendaries threads)

The issue is that exceptations are too high,people fool theirselves you can go professionhere And do something completely unique,thinking pretty much every choose is good as long as they follow a rule of thumb.
Then people awake and realize there aren’t billions of abilities and traits,there is another professionhere playing just like them somewhere else and a “kitten bow just shoots arrow”.

This either leads people to check other classes and get into a vicious cycle of wether one is better or worse of another…
Or people just deals with it…
Or people just leaves the game straight away.

In the first case,you’ll never get out until getting 8 characters at level 80 with full gear for any situation and style.
In the second case you’ll either like it or hate it in the long run.
In the third case,you’ll always wonder what the issue was/is.

TLDR;
It’s not game dying or not dying,it’s player density.
The true issue is that people fool theirselves and don’t “feel” the game anymore.

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

I’m not sure if it’s dying or people just got bored and logs in over the weekend… But player count at a given time dropped drastically on my server (Borlis Pass).

I usually guest to TC to play with others now.

90% of map are empty, heck, even FG is empty at times.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Is Guild Wars 2 dying??

Galen Grey.4709

I’m not sure if it’s dying or people just got bored and logs in over the weekend… But player count at a given time dropped drastically on my server (Borlis Pass).

I usually guest to TC to play with others now.

90% of map are empty, heck, even FG is empty at times.

Thing is with Gw2 its honestly impossible to say. Consider this, Reach max level doesnt funnel players like other MMOs do. Ergo on a given server some players will play in low level maps, mid level maps and high level maps. Some will play mini games, do fractals, dungeons, WvW, SPvP, kill champions, world bosses, do Dynamic Events, Jumping Puzzles, Exploration, World competition (ergo hearts and vistas) etc… etc.. So lets assume you go do DE in say lornar’s pass and only run into a couple of players… You might think okey here world is dead so I will go player over to TC where more players might do the sort of thing you want to do. Others will complain and you’ll suggest your solution to them in turn they’ll suggest it to their friends etc….

My point is Ultimately the open world on your server will become emptier but its impossible to say if its because players stopped playing, are playing different content or simply are playing on a server thats more attune to the content they enjoy.

What we know is so far cash shop sales have been on the upward trend since launch. That to me doesnt seem to indicate that the game is loosing more players then its gaining.