Is GuildWars 2 really just 1 big mini game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pewblinkpew.5031

pewblinkpew.5031

Is GuildWars 2 really just 1 BIG MINI GAME ? And my thoughts of GW2

1st off not a troll post because i loved gw2 and followed it ever since the

annoncement came out. Now the reason i say this is because has anyone really felt

they accomplish anything MAJOR.For example in other mmos such as wow,tera, rift

and dc universe you feel an accomplishment after fighting a top boss or top tier boss.

In gw2 who is the top boss? or Villian? Is it really the elder dragons? If so then it should

have that focus more in many dungeons. I just don’t really feel drawn into the game

anymore. It sucks because i had lots of hope this game was going to be the bomb and

have so much to do , but in reality has anyone made an MMO withthe same style of

SPVP ? LIke seriously even Rift and Star Wars had varety in pvp when they first came

out .

Lets talk about
dungeons, first off people hit 80 and there is only 1 lvl 80 dungeon? Everything else

you get down scale to ? So why even have levels in the game if we are only going to

have 1 lvl 80 dungeon. I know i am rambling along but i am fustrated and really let

down . My last point for the night, my guild of 460 memembers is down to 42

memebers a week who log in.

Posted by: Chriswck.6490

Chriswck.6490

Went through a similar phase. Got over it. Mind you, I still love the game to bits. Just seeing it differently, and treating it differently, not a game that would be my sole gaming entertainment.

Now, I log back in every now and then, keep myself updated. I still believe in their sPvP, but I’m taking a much longer view now.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

There are four level 80 Dungeons. With all the paths included there are over 10 different dungeons.

As for featuring the “main villain” more I suggest you actually pay attention to the story-line, the dungeons and the dynamic events. The Dragons are quite involved in most of these things.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Dessy.7369

Dessy.7369

Gw2 have only one god thing and that is the lvling form 1 to 80 the rest of the game is a poor game

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

Gw2 have only one god thing and that is the lvling form 1 to 80 the rest of the game is a poor game

I disagree. I really enjoy WvW.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Posted by: circusfreak.2403

circusfreak.2403

It seems MMOs getting judged pretty harshly out of the gate anymore. Technically GW2 is still very much in the infant stage of its life cycle. Bugs will take sometime to iron out and content will be added. I am sure they are monitoring the response to the Nov 15 patch closely and will evaluate next steps to best benefit the players and the company (it is about the bottom line at the end of the day). If you rush to the end you can expect to have a dead period. I’ve always felt any game deserves a growth period before it can truly be labelled as a success or a failure. To me 3 months is far too early…hell for some games it took over a year. Personally I am going to stick with it and hope for the best…hate to see a potentially good game fail.

Do not be fooled by what we percieve. Where there is perception there is deception.

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

FYI, your thread title is a double negative. It may as well say, “Is GuildWars 2 really just 1 game?”

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It really is a theme park in the best way possible. If I go to Ascalon I’m not punished for being lvl 80. Instead I can meaningfully play the game. Same in Kryta. If you see the entire game as a lvl 80 zone, perspective really changes.

The fun parts in the game are thing like completing exploration, getting all jumping achievements and doing big bosses for the heck of it. I do the big dragons whenever I can regardless of what the chest holds. I do events because they’re cool , and the coolest chains are not found in Orr but rather in Harathi Hinterlands and Ascalon.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Well people start to play only dungeons. It slowly is becoming more an instance game like GW1. Even the new lost shore area had only a couple of people running around, not enough for a lot of the DEs, veterans and champions. The drops in the dungeons are so much better in comparison with even Orr and especially in comparison with the new areas, that people spend their whole play day in dungeons (which you could call mini games). Resulting in full server showing empty.

beren.6048

My last point for the night, my guild of 460 memembers is down to 42

memebers a week who log in.

Sure, but GW2 is different, it is primarily content based. People play the new content, get bored and then when new content comes they play again. Its not, right now, like traditional MMOs, that you login every day and play every day because you pay subscription. You pay an amount, get contents worth, pay expansion, get contents worth, etc. etc.

Imo I got insane amount of content for my money, I can still keep contact with MMO friends and play more if there is more content.

Posted by: Gohlar.3671

Gohlar.3671

It really is a theme park in the best way possible. If I go to Ascalon I’m not punished for being lvl 80. Instead I can meaningfully play the game. Same in Kryta. If you see the entire game as a lvl 80 zone, perspective really changes.

I can’t help but /facepalm at anyone who fell for this badly implemented gimmick.

Yeah you have fun with your meaningful gameplay steamrolling trivial, meaningless content in lower level zones.

Posted by: marianojc.2965

marianojc.2965

Well, I would say yes GW2 is a big minigame, for other reasons: Vistas, Jumping Puzzles, Points of Interest, Skill Points and Hearts all off them become objectives in themselves and break inmersion in the game that is Dynamic Events and the World itself.

Better than the minigame called Vistas I think it would have been to have Treasure Chests as were the hidden treasures of GW’s NightFall. Vistas are spoilers that make me lose all the awe that watching the landscape might have -actually I have been looking for my own landscape views and I have fund some awesome ones -that I am not going to tell you.

Jumping Puzzles… they can be fun -I have played non of them-, but not in every map, not in WvWvW, they pertain to the mini-games that I think would fit very nicely in the races’ capitals and Lion’s Arch.

Points of Interest, these spoil exploration, making the player -me- to lose any awe that discovering might have. POIs make huge maps look small, and make the world become very small.

Skill Points, you see them in the map, so you do not have to search for them, again a huge world being made small, if at least you had to find some boss or champion… to get a skill point. And it is an awful mistake -in my view- to not have given proper names to bosses and to champions, say: Why to make a such great effort to make so detailed and unique maps and not to make unique bosses with unique weapon and armor drops?

Hearts, there are not NPCs with an exclamation marks, but there are Scouts and there are Hearts (and well Dynamic Events also have their orange marks). I would like better than Hearts on the map, to have NPCs with exclamation marks non visible in the map. A few NPCs with exclamation marks -or whatever other mark- does not harm, it rather introduces diversity.

As a resume, in my view, Vistas, Points of Interest, Skill Points’ marks and Hearts’ marks in the map are spoilers that take out awe from the game, and make of a big game to look like a mini-game.

(edited by marianojc.2965)

Posted by: Daevinia.9184

Daevinia.9184

It’s called “Lion’s Arch Fractal Lobby” these days…

~ nothing is constant but change~

Currently: 3619 kills ~ all for Piken Square

Posted by: AuldWolf.7598

AuldWolf.7598

The tiered gear means that the game will always be playing itself to a degree. By that I mean that stats are always going to be more important than any skill I have. This is the WoW curse. And moving forward they’ll be fully embracing WoW-style progression, they said as much.

This is why I haven’t felt like I’ve achieved anything, no. I feel like I achieve way more by playing a platinum match in ME3’s multi-player. At least there it’s almost all horizontal progression and sidegrades. When I beat the Collectors on platinum in ME3’s multi-player, the genuinely intelligent AI (unlike the zerging bots of GW2) and the fact that stats aren’t winning fights for me makes me feel like I’m actually doing something.

I’ve been called a kitten medic in ME3. But GW2 feels… sterile. It’s just their numbers versus your numbers, there’s only a very minor impact that skills have. And the vertical progression will mean that there’s never any real sense of achievement. Only a fake sense of achievement. I think that’s what you’re feeling, OP. So long as the stats of you vs a foe decide the outcome of a fight, it will always feel shallow and meaningless.

beren.6048

Well, I would say yes GW2 is a big minigame, for other reasons: Vistas, Jumping Puzzles, Points of Interest, Skill Points and Hearts all off them become objectives in themselves and break inmersion in the game that is Dynamic Events and the World itself.

Better than the minigame called Vistas I think it would have been to have Treasure Chests as were the hidden treasures of GW’s NightFall. Vistas are spoilers that make me lose all the awe that watching the landscape might have -actually I have been looking for my own landscape views and I have fund some awesome ones -that I am not going to tell you. ………

Yes, if the Vistas are the mini games then mini games are not bad at all. GW2 has much more different stuff to do than the traditional kill 10 of this kill 50 of that quests. It has these quest also, but not only and many times it involves other things like freeing prisoners or putting out fire. Which you can all see as a mini game and that is not bad at all.

There are treasure chest. I find them once in a while. The MK jumping puzzle had a treasure chest.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

It seems MMOs getting judged pretty harshly out of the gate anymore. Technically GW2 is still very much in the infant stage of its life cycle. Bugs will take sometime to iron out and content will be added. I am sure they are monitoring the response to the Nov 15 patch closely and will evaluate next steps to best benefit the players and the company (it is about the bottom line at the end of the day). If you rush to the end you can expect to have a dead period. I’ve always felt any game deserves a growth period before it can truly be labelled as a success or a failure. To me 3 months is far too early…hell for some games it took over a year. Personally I am going to stick with it and hope for the best…hate to see a potentially good game fail.

This is true and this is where the phrase, “Only get 1 chance to make a good first impression” applies to. I think a lot has to do with the fact people know what they want now in an mmo because they loved either SWG, EQ1, UO, WoW or DAoC. I know I love(d) WoW and SWG a lot. Both completely different games. I tried WoW at launch, before the pre-nge, and didn’t fully get into it. The NGE hit and gave it a chance but hated it and tried WoW again. This time really got into and loved it and then experienced end game with a competitive guild so I fell in love with end game raiding. So now I know what I want and so far, no game has really kept my interest except ToR which I still play too.

But GW2 imo is different. This game was a huge let down and I find it extremely terrible. For one they did all this talk before launch about how the game was going to be and no grind and progression type like a WoW. Well here we are and they completely lied.

The other thing is I thought this was supposed to be pvp based? I wanted to really try some different and fun pvp and instead it feels more like a horrible pve attempt with a joke of pvp. Tera I felt was the same way.

So when all is said and done, I fell this is why there has yet to be a game that gained people/subs after a month of launch. Every mmo has declined after WoW. And yes GW2 has lost tons of people. I will bet if they showed people logging on from launch to now, that the numbers have gone downward fast. Anyone who doesn’t think so is delusional. GW2 is in a complete mess right now with the lying of ANet among other things.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I love how GW2 has lots of different ways to play the game (you can call them mini-games, whatever). My characters can grow by finding neat views, being athletic, finding and making stuff, killing, doing the non-violent stuff in DEs (although I wish that the violent / non-violent parts of DEs were a little better separated). I’m looking forward to more non-violent play being added, like sprucing up the housing instance, city activities, etc. That’s a selling point for me. I’d hate to play an MMO where only a few things allowed my character to grow.

Re: AI – I saw a news article saying that they had better AI, but took it out because the mobs were too smart. Kind of like in Oblivion where the NPCs would start stealing items and arresting each other. So better AI is possibly in the cards if they can work the bugs out.

But GW2 feels… sterile. It’s just their numbers versus your numbers, there’s only a very minor impact that skills have. And the vertical progression will mean that there’s never any real sense of achievement. Only a fake sense of achievement. I think that’s what you’re feeling, OP. So long as the stats of you vs a foe decide the outcome of a fight, it will always feel shallow and meaningless.

You obviously aren’t playing an Elementalist. If you want a class that takes player skill to play, pick one.

The gear progression doesn’t look very WoW-like to me so far. I don’t agree with the launch, but once Ascended gear gets out into the world and everyone can get it easily it won’t be any more trouble than exotic. If it was a dungeon-only thing with better stats, that’s upsetting (and I was upset about it). But once they rebalance the crafting cost and it drops in the world, I don’t think it will be an issue.

(edited by Gilosean.3805)

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

No. it’s several mini games all stiched together into one persistant world. That’s where the viriety in things to do comes from. And the appeal to more casual gamers.

I can log in here with a short term goal like “tonight I will finish lornars pass.” play for 45 minutes and feel like i accomplished something. If i still feel like playing, I switch from the map completion mini game to the daily completion mini game. or maybe I go play the pvp mini game…or a dungeon mini game.