Is Gw2 F2p Broken?

Is Gw2 F2p Broken?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

Interesting Vid
Does it apply to Gw2 Free to play model as well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U

Is Gw2 F2p Broken?

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Doesn’t really fit GW2.

The f2p model in guild wars 2 is essentially a trial with unlimited length. Purchasing the full game allows access to everything game essential.

The entire concept of needing new players for seasoned ones to grind through is not the case in GW2.

The video is more about full f2p games as encountered on mobile devices or with heavy game altering cash shops. There is an ambudance of those around, and they are quite different from GW2.

The GW2 conveniance aspect has been drifting more and more towards the gem store though.

Is Gw2 F2p Broken?

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

No, GW2 doesn’t have a F2P model, it has a heavily regulated full game demo.

Is Gw2 F2p Broken?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Glad you brought it up. Always good to see Extra Credits as an intro to conversation.

Thing is, in most F2P games, there tends to be something critically …unbalanced?.. in what they’re selling. Some use energy time gates to spur purchases, others wrongfully sell power (actual pay-to-win) or trick players with nigh unwinnable scenarios that almost always require special purchase-only tools to beat (coughSagagamescough).

The free-to-play model for GW2 and other MMOs that have gone that route use F2P as an extended demo of the game, advancing a player to full status when they commit.
And to be honest, GW2 is fairly generous about it. Limits on chat and trading post are the only ones I know of, aside from the expansion-only bits like Magus Falls and Masteries.

What GW2 does sell in its microtransaction model (another episode altogether) is convenience and cosmetics. (haw, I originally wrote “costmetics”, totes Freudian) It doesn’t lock out actual content, just pretty visuals to coax (suckers like me) to spend money to get them instead of forcing a prohibitive subscription.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632