Is Paragon in sight for the future?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HARRELSONNN.4872

HARRELSONNN.4872

For those unfamiliar, Paragon was a GW1 heavy armor spear throwing class.

Let me give reasons why I think Paragon is almost predictable.
1. There are 2 heavy armor,3 medium armor and 3 light armor classes. Paragon would add to the heavy armor giving 3 classes.
2. In GW1, expansions were released with 2 classes each. I feel as if they would implement a new class and bring back a GW1 one.
3. Paragon is unique. As many people weren’t fond of them in GW1. It was weird to be a plated warrior throwing spears.

However, I’m also doubtful for some reasons.
1. Spears are already aquatic weapons. I cant see there being land and aquatic spears unless they make them work both ways. So if you equip a spear it will work on land and underwater.
2. Paragons are warrior like. Paragons have shouts, chants, etc. I feel this would be too warrior like. Unless they did some reconstructing overall.

What do you think we could see in the future??

Self honesty leads to wisdom.

HARRELSONNN.4872

EDIT: Paragon “play-style” is not similar to warrior at all. I’m not sure it would be even in GW2 either. The utility skills are very similar to warriors however.

Posted by: Zealous.1386

Zealous.1386

You never know put personally I really doubt it. It seemed like Paragons were on ANETS list of top ten regrets. I’d love to see two-handed spears come out as ground weapons though (I know the old paras threw a one-hander).

Posted by: Aiden.6209

Aiden.6209

I would love to see a 3rd heavy class of any kind. Paragon seems cool (The title you get for winning matches in spvp on a guardian is paragon, so another reason to doubt?). Obviously they would have to make a lot of reconstructing but i can definitely see another heavy armour class coming a long soon enough along with another race, just what it will be is a mystery, as i can’t think of anything that would have much of a different play-style to warrior or guardian, as they cover a lot of bases in the combat department, but it will be interesting to see what comes along.

[JDGE]

Aztro [Engineer] Extro [Warrior] Xilent [Thief] Tyrax Deathrain [Ranger] Krogax [Guardian]

HARRELSONNN.4872

I would love to see a 3rd heavy class of any kind. Paragon seems cool (The title you get for winning matches in spvp on a guardian is paragon, so another reason to doubt?). Obviously they would have to make a lot of reconstructing but i can definitely see another heavy armour class coming a long soon enough along with another race, just what it will be is a mystery, as i can’t think of anything that would have much of a different play-style to warrior or guardian, as they cover a lot of bases in the combat department, but it will be interesting to see what comes along.

You know, I just had a revelation. The more I think about the more I see Derv making a comeback. Either added as a medium or they make them heavy armors. They were hugely popular and make some sense too.

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

I’d like to see a Juggernaut type of class brought into the game. No weapons, just pure brawling / boxing. Make them heavily armored and use special fist blades or knuckle dusters as weapons. They could charge enemies, head butt them (to stun), pick them up by their throat and hurl them. Something like that would be unique and fun to play as.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

Posted by: gimmethegepgun.1284

gimmethegepgun.1284

Paragons are already heavily in the game in the form of Guardians.

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Wtf Paragons.
We need Dervishes.
Even if they are heavy armor dervishes.

The great forum duppy.

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

As you’re already aware of (based on your last 2 comments), the Paragon already is spread throughout this game

Both the Warrior and the Guardian have elements of the old Paragon within their shouts. and many of their skills.

I would, however, enjoy seeing a 3rd heavy class, as well as some armor reform!
Right now, the differences between the 3 types of armor is just “heavy armor is strictly better”. I would love to see lighter armor have it’s advantages in terms of (possibly) speed and mobility. As this would be a ‘nerf’ to heavy classes by itself, it must of course be compensated for in other ways.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

For those unfamiliar, Paragon was a GW1 heavy armor spear throwing class.

The Guardian is basically the Monk/Paragon wrapped together.
The Engineer is the Ritualist with new skins on the spirits.
The Thief is the Assassin.
The Ranger when using a sword plays a lot like a dervish.

So I’m not sure where they could go with all of those that they aren’t already going to.

My experience was Paragon was never popular, much as I liked the concept it was rare to see one. I think people had trouble figuring out what to do with them ‘role wise’ in a group. GW2 suffers from this problem a lot less with every class balanced for playing almost any role – but in GW1 you had to think about that when putting a group together. Even if just yourself on your paragon and 7 NPCs, you’d feel like you were the extra wheel in your own group.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Kichwas.7152)

Posted by: Rash.6514

Rash.6514

Wait, the Guardian has Dervish elements as well, with all those burns after a certain attack, or burn when an effect is over (although I miss the Dervish looks).

As for the Ritualist, we need Splinter Weapon! Please ANet! Oh, my Warrior 100-blades loved that.

I am all for ANet adding new classes, Heavy or not, AS LONG AS they DON’T make the current ones underpowered in comparison.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

From the guardian page on the wiki
“With the turmoil in Elona and the spread of the Order of Whispers into other lands, more Paragon teaching showed elsewhere in Tyria. These teachings melded with other traditions, and over time, the guardians and their abilities can be found throughout the world and among all the races”

In other words the paragon aint coming back .

HARRELSONNN.4872

From the guardian page on the wiki
“With the turmoil in Elona and the spread of the Order of Whispers into other lands, more Paragon teaching showed elsewhere in Tyria. These teachings melded with other traditions, and over time, the guardians and their abilities can be found throughout the world and among all the races”

In other words the paragon aint coming back .

Yeah I’m leaning Derv now. There is really no hint of derv in game, especially since they wield a scythe.

Adine.2184

well the problem with derv is that they were essentially a holy warrior and many of their skills reflected that by having names of the 5 gods in them as well as having avatars of them for elites . That as you can imagine causes issues as far as other races are concerned never mind the fact their teachings were restricted to Elona

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

But….. Paragon on GW1 sucked, that’s why Anet they gave them imbagon and never looked at them again.

I doubt Anet will bring such an unsuccessful class into gw2 but… Dervish could be a possibility i think! scythes seem like a weapon many classes could use as well but.. Upcoming races seem to be Kodan and Tengu..

Kodan is said to be a spiritual race, meaning it could have something spirit related such as the ritualist.

While Tengu have always been a fighter class, so could we expect some brass knuckles ? :]

(edited by google.3709)

Posted by: Lionarth.1367

Lionarth.1367

As much as id love to see dervish make it back into the game i doubt its coming back. They were afterall worshippers and avatars of human gods which makes them not make sense for the other races and i dont see how charr sylvari and asura could take the form of anything since they dont really have anything they could avatar as.

HARRELSONNN.4872

As much as id love to see dervish make it back into the game i doubt its coming back. They were afterall worshippers and avatars of human gods which makes them not make sense for the other races and i dont see how charr sylvari and asura could take the form of anything since they dont really have anything they could avatar as.

Keep in mind, Avatars don’t have to be part of it. All of the classes from GW1 have some major differences in GW2.

Adine.2184

you still have the problem of the Derv drawing its power from the 5 gods and the fact it was strictly an Elonian class

Posted by: Lionarth.1367

Lionarth.1367

What would a dervish be then? Without the avatar side to it a dervish is a guardian with a scythe.

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

That means nothing.
Warriors were champions of Balthazar.
Mesmers molded after Lyssa.
You can warp these things.
“In the teachings of the dervish there are two schools, the ancient school of the 6 gods, and a new age teaching of mysticism drawing power from the mists itself. Those of the old school have dwindled to a few at the leave of the 6 gods, but they are a powerful and exclusive group.”
GG.

The great forum duppy.

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Yeah, they’re called guardians

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

You know, I just had a revelation. The more I think about the more I see Derv making a comeback. Either added as a medium or they make them heavy armors. They were hugely popular and make some sense too.

I loved Derv’s after their Flash Enchantment update.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Well someone has been thinking about the dervish in Guild Wars 2.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/dervish/

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

The Guardian is pretty much your Paragon.

I loved Derv’s after their Flash Enchantment update.

Hell yeah.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Jaxon.5392

Jaxon.5392

Add more weapons not classes

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Spear throwers that sing in battle in an african/arabian/egyptian themed expansion.

XD

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

Paragon is never going to come back. We already have a paragon its called Guardian. If you look through PvP titles you’ll see that there is an achievement master Paragon for playing tournaments with guardian.

HARRELSONNN.4872

Paragon is never going to come back. We already have a paragon its called Guardian. If you look through PvP titles you’ll see that there is an achievement master Paragon for playing tournaments with guardian.

R.I.P Paragon <3333

I actually enjoyed mine. Despite some of the armor. lol

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I’m kinda scared of them adding another attention hording Heavy class. Warrior and Guardian stole all their shouts anyways though. They need to fix all the neglected medium classes. I’d love if they returned throwing spears, and allowed my Thief to use them. Was a fun weapon in GW1 with my Assassin. They could rename them to Javelins. That and add more Paragon styled armor. Those legs!

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

When I first put my guardian underwater with a spear, I was expecting some stab n jabs. But I was surprised they were throwing the spears instead. I instantly thought to myself that, “OMG paragon!!!!” moment.

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

HARRELSONNN.4872

When I first put my guardian underwater with a spear, I was expecting some stab n jabs. But I was surprised they were throwing the spears instead. I instantly thought to myself that, “OMG paragon!!!!” moment.

I didn’t even know that! lol

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

God, please let never return such crap like Dervishs and Paragons in GW2.
These 2 classes mostly got already revamped and fused into the already existing classes.
Learn finally all to live with that design decision being made by Anet and deal with it!

But that being said doesn’t mean that anet shouldn’t improve and expand the existing classes with more features. Redesign crappy mechanics and add better functions to them or changing more things into class specific F-Mechanics.

The thief has especially so much potential to be improved and expanced by its core mechanics, getting rid of silly obsolete utility skilsl and making out of them better integrated F-Mechanics and making the Steal-Ability something, that should better work automatically, than something that is based on as F-Mechanic.

All Classes could massively get improved, if Anet would add to the existing classes more weapons. Especially also new missing weapons, stuff like 2H Axes, Whips/Chainsickles, Halberds, Pole Staffs/Nunchucks, Claws/Gauntlets, Shurikens, Magical Orbs, Fist Shields/Kite Shields dividing up shield types better, Recurve Bows, Cross Bows

Thats alot of missing weapon types with that either new classes could get implemented and/or existing classes could get improved by adding more character progression into this game in form of adding sub classes for example and unlocking by that way the options to use new weapons with your character classes.

Every existing class could easily have 2 to 3 sub classes, absolutely no problem and simply something, that coudl be added with Add Ons.

Before GW2 should get new classes, they should first improve the gameplay and character progression options for all existing classes!!
After that, if then theres still place for new missing class categories.
Then.. and only then should Anet add more playable classes, which then should by truly unique

Classes, that have been seen nearly nowhere to never ever anywhere before in other actual MMORPGs of the last 10 years!!
Classes, which can add to this game something absolutely special, that is really unique to the class.

There come only very specific classes into mind, that can full fill this requirement of being truly unique for GW2 and that would be classes like:

• Chronomancer (a class, that should already have come with GW1 with the planned Utopia, if there wouldn’t have been GW2 in the end..)
  • Dragoon (as third soldier class, more soldiers truly aren’t needed)
  • Visionary (unique redesign of the ritualist with new gameplay elements that were missing in GW1 as ritualists were the connection to being closer to the stars and all the canthan lore about astrology)
  • Brawler (if Anet doesn’t want to improve the thief with that)
  • Minstrel (if Anet doesn’t want to improve the Mesmer with that)
  • Alchemist (would need a redesign of the Engineer, letting them become full technicians first, if Anet won’t improve the Alchemy Skills/Traits for the Engineer in future massively )
  • Psionic (if ANet doesn’t want to improve the Mesmer with that)

Just my 2 cents to this topic

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

I liked the Paragons personally, but rarely ever saw them in-game. Anyone who ever whines about a heavy armored class using a spear has never heard of a Dragoon before. However since they’ve been…somewhat integrated into the Guardian profession, the likelihood of their return is very small, unless we revisit Elona, then we may see the remnants of the Sunspear order scattered about as NPC’s.

There’s plenty of interesting mechanics they could of incorporated, like they’re mid-ranged, heavy armored morale boosters who could wield halberds (as opposed to spears, since they exist), greatswords, shields, tridents and spears. Instead of swapping weapons, they swap stances, as in they have a melee stance and a ranged stance for the ~ key, and their f1 ability is a multi-tiered (each tier adding a new boost or healing capability) morale shout (that increases with abilities used, and slightly decreases as they take damage, about 1/4 as much as they gain) based on equipped mainhand/2h weapons and stances and using light-based combo fields; for example, using a shield and halberd, they should create a reflecting, unpassable barrier during the duration that prevents attackers form moving past the front line and the Paragon to attack the ranged behind him, while the ranged attacking through the wall cured conditions and healed a little for each attack. In ranged, could throw the Halberd and use the GS similar as the mesmer, but more flowing and wave-like and in melee could smack people like they owe the Pimpagon some money.

Juts fun little thoughts on the matter, even though it’ll never happen.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

The Guardian is specified in the lore as being a modernization of Paragon/Monk traditions. “Save yourselves!” was one of the Paragon’s most useful shouts back then. I loved the class, regardless what ANet or the playerbase thought of it, and miss my Paragon dearly. Having played a lot both Monk and Paragon Professions back then, I enjoy how the Guardian turned out to be (it’s not a Paladin-like class, not by a longshot, though many still think so.)

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

If they called the Paragon weapon “Javelins” it wouldn’t conflict with the existing underwater weapon.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Ezeriel.9574

Ezeriel.9574

I wanna see a Valkyrie spear chucker like they had in D2! Male and female, please

Lightning fury was such an awesome skill…

The only way to play the engineer is to exploit it.
Playing the engineer “as intended” is simply not viable.

Posted by: feuna.1749

feuna.1749

Where the Ritualist at? :P

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

The Guardian is specified in the lore as being a modernization of Paragon/Monk traditions. “Save yourselves!” was one of the Paragon’s most useful shouts back then. I loved the class, regardless what ANet or the playerbase thought of it, and miss my Paragon dearly. Having played a lot both Monk and Paragon Professions back then, I enjoy how the Guardian turned out to be (it’s not a Paladin-like class, not by a longshot, though many still think so.)

To point out, “Save Yourselves” was a WARRIOR skill in GW1, it’s just that Paragons were better at using it.

Personally I’d like to see some sort of Heavy or Medium armor class that uses Halberds/Spears and the like. Some sort of Lancer class type thing. Lots of gap-closer/opener skills and the like.

HARRELSONNN.4872

To point out, “Save Yourselves” was a WARRIOR skill in GW1, it’s just that Paragons were better at using it.

Personally I’d like to see some sort of Heavy or Medium armor class that uses Halberds/Spears and the like. Some sort of Lancer class type thing. Lots of gap-closer/opener skills and the like.

Honestly I think the guy who is talking about new weapons is right.

I think we can expect to see new weapon types and races such as kodan, tengu, etc before we ever see new classes.

HARRELSONNN.4872

Engineer is basically the modern rit.

Adine.2184

Cantha so don’t expect them any time soon .

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

Go into the mists and look at the mannequins behind the armor vendor. Tell me the one to her left isn’t a female Dervish set.

Well someone has been thinking about the dervish in Guild Wars 2.

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/dervish/

Tried linking a dervish build and instead of an address string, “Dervishes are too OP to be saved!” Popped up. Funny.

If they made Dervishes in this game, I’d have to make a new main…

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

Engineer is basically the modern rit.

If they make it so that turret cooldown starts on activation instead of the turret’s death, like mesmer illusions or ritualist spirits, I could agree. Otherwise, they’re kind of a waste of a utility in PvE, like necromancer minions.

User was infracted for being awesome.

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

Honestly I think the guy who is talking about new weapons is right.

I think we can expect to see new weapon types and races such as kodan, tengu, etc before we ever see new classes.

Oh dear, I want Kodan as a playable race! But I’m with you on this one, I believe we will see new weapons or some weapons being added to professions before they introduce new ones.