Is RNG connected to classes?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Hi! I’ve noticed that whenever I kill a world boss such as Tequatl or Karka Queen, I get loot depending on the class I’m using. I have multiple level 80 characters, and usually it goes like this:

- If I kill Karka Queen with my Engiee, I get “Exotic Settler’s Inscription of Blahblah”
- If I kill Karka Queen with my Guardian(I think it was), sometimes I get some kind of trinket with Settlers stats

- If I kill Tequatl with my Guardian(and it happened multiple times) I usually get Fang of Tequatl or that other accessory
- If I kill Tequatl with my Engiee, I get only greens
- If I kill Tequatl with my Warrior(or other class, I don’t remember clearly), sometimes I get breathers
- If I kill Tequatl with anything else, I’m basically guaranteed to get “Rune of the Sunless”.

It just doesn’t…really sound random to me. My engiee got Settler’s Inscription thingy 4th time in a row. Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

No – it is random. What is your %MF like as that will tell us more.

Yoroiookami.3485

I don’t really trust you saying something like “no – it is random” without any argument behind it. Also, MF only affects direct loot from monsters(and it usually just gives you more greens), not chests. I’m talking about chests.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Well … there is no official source for that info, so you can only count with our words.
I don’t think that RNG use your class as parameter for the results, I leveled all classes to 80 and I’ve never seen a drop pattern with different classes.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Yoroiookami.3485

Well … there is no official source for that info, so you can only count with our words.
I don’t think that RNG use your class as parameter for the results, I leveled all classes to 80 and I’ve never seen a drop pattern with different classes.

I see…well, I guess it’s just a coincidence then. _

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I don’t really trust you saying something like “no – it is random” without any argument behind it. Also, MF only affects direct loot from monsters(and it usually just gives you more greens), not chests. I’m talking about chests.

Rly, what do you think they do? Giving certain classes advantages through secretly buffing their MF ratio? Are you kidding me?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

How many times have you done those events on those classes?

If your answer is not in the numbers of at least several hundred for each class and without having the exact drops you got for them, it’s not a large enough sample to prove that RNG is tied to classes.

And your OP didn’t mention the chests specifically. You just said RNG is tied to classes and gave some examples. For all Dusty Moon knew you were referring to the loot that comes from the boss as well as the chest.

And I can flip a coin 100 times and it land on heads 100 times. It would be extremely unlikely, but still possible. So it is possible that you’re just lucking into good streaks on some characters and bad streaks on other characters.

Dusty Moon.4382

Rly, what do you think they do? Giving certain classes advantages through secretly buffing their MF ratio? Are you kidding me?

No – but asking what is your MF like, that can affect what is dropped.

It sounds like you want to have some Conspiracy Theory for this.

Yoroiookami.3485

As I just said, MF has nothing to do with chest loot. No, I am not kidding you.

If your answer is not in the numbers of at least several hundred for each class and without having the exact drops you got for them, it’s not a large enough sample to prove that RNG is tied to classes.

And your OP didn’t mention the chests specifically. You just said RNG is tied to classes and gave some examples. For all Dusty Moon knew you were referring to the loot that comes from the boss as well as the chest.

And I can flip a coin 100 times and it land on heads 100 times. It would be extremely unlikely, but still possible. So it is possible that you’re just lucking into good streaks on some characters and bad streaks on other characters.

It’s a bit weird to assume I meant loot from the bosses themselves after I clearly said that I dropped things like “Fang of Tequatl” and “Settler’s Inscription” multiple times.

And I’m not trying to prove anything, I’m asking others if they had a similar experience. I already had some RNG adventures before, like dropping exactly the same item 3 times while doing the same event(I think it was tequatl). RNG isn’t this perfect randomization system, that’s why I’m asking.

My MF is 160~ and as I’ve said before, it only affects direct loot from monsters.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Loot is directly indirectly linked to your class.

You will get more loot on a guardian than a mesmer, for example, assuming you are playing properly.

But that pretty much only applies to farming mobs rather than farming events.

In terms of metaevents, the damage you do will influence if you should be considered part of the loot threshold.

For example, an elementals attuned to water will more than likely have more lootless encounters than a GS/AXE warrior.

I should also note that these rules only apply to Mloot from MOBS. Tequatl is not defined as a mob, as his corpse (technically there is no corpse) does not drop loot, but his loot comes from a chest. The credit for a chest has no bearing on class but as long as you participated in some way in the event.

Karka Queen is a mob, and you may miss out on it’s corpse loot. However, you should be getting a big physical chest and a daily chest.

If you miss out on loot for tequatl, then you either didn’t participate properly, you reached your daily limit, or it’s bugged (though that has never happened to me)

Same with Karka

But any insinuation that specifically classes get specific loot I think is unfounded

(edited by Vol.7601)

Seera.5916

It’s a bit weird to assume I meant loot from the bosses themselves after I clearly said that I dropped things like “Fang of Tequatl” and “Settler’s Inscription” multiple times.

And I’m not trying to prove anything, I’m asking others if they had a similar experience. I already had some RNG adventures before, like dropping exactly the same item 3 times while doing the same event(I think it was tequatl). RNG isn’t this perfect randomization system, that’s why I’m asking.

You were asking it because you felt it was true. Even if 100 people say they have had similar experiences unless they’ve done it several hundred times themselves and documented everything they got from it, it’s not enough to prove anything.

Which is why you asked the question in the first place.

Conversely, there is technically no evidence to prove that it is not the case.

But ANet does attempt to balance things and this would be a very easy thing to balance out. So I can’t imagine there being a difference between classes as it relates to RNG.

And if a player has never really done many group activities it could be hard to know what things only come in chests. I for one have never beaten Teq. I haven’t the desire nor patience to wait around for ages for the event to start.

Yoroiookami.3485

You will get more loot on a guardian than a mesmer, for example, assuming you are playing properly.

In terms of metaevents, the damage you do will influence if you should be considered part of the loot threshold.

For example, an elementals attuned to water will more than likely have more lootless encounters than a GS/AXE warrior.

I should also note that these rules only apply to Mloot from MOBS. Tequatl is not defined as a mob, as his corpse (technically there is no corpse) does not drop loot, but his loot comes from a chest. The credit for a chest has no bearing on class but as long as you participated in some way in the event.

Karka Queen is a mob, and you may miss out on it’s corpse loot. However, you should be getting a big physical chest and a daily chest.

If you miss out on loot for tequatl, then you either didn’t participate properly, you reached your daily limit, or it’s bugged (though that has never happened to me)

Same with Karka

But any insinuation that specifically classes get specific loot I think is unfounded

Thanks for your viewpoint. Maybe there is some kind of damage threshold that gives you specific loot, like:
5 000 damage dealt&less – nothing
20 000 damage deatl&less – inscriptions
50 000 damage dealt&less – exotics
100 000 damage dealt&less – ascended
etc.

This is an assumption, but it makes sense to me. After all this game is based around damage dealt.

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Hi! I’ve noticed that whenever I kill a world boss such as Tequatl or Karka Queen, I get loot depending on the class I’m using. I have multiple level 80 characters, and usually it goes like this:

- If I kill Karka Queen with my Engiee, I get “Exotic Settler’s Inscription of Blahblah”
- If I kill Karka Queen with my Guardian(I think it was), sometimes I get some kind of trinket with Settlers stats

- If I kill Tequatl with my Guardian(and it happened multiple times) I usually get Fang of Tequatl or that other accessory
- If I kill Tequatl with my Warrior(or other class, I don’t remember clearly), sometimes I get breathers
- If I kill Tequatl with anything else, I’m basically guaranteed to get “Rune of the Sunless”.

It just doesn’t…really sound random to me. My engiee got Settler’s Inscription thingy 4th time in a row. Anyone else noticed anything similar?

I really hate you now… You have to have some really good luck to get exotics and stuff all the time. That or my account along with thousands of other players are just at the lower end of RNG like 1 – 10 rolls compared to those who get ascended and exotic drops all the time getting 70 – 100 rolls lol.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Same with Karka

Thanks for your viewpoint. Maybe there is some kind of damage threshold that gives you specific loot, like:
etc.

This is an assumption, but it makes sense to me. After all this game is based around damage dealt.

I can throw your damage numbers out the door… I did well over 50k or maybe even 100k damage to Tequatl and didn’t receive even one exotic. I got a guaranteed yellow and a bunch of greens and blues.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Yoroiookami.3485

I really hate you now… You have to have some really good luck to get exotics and stuff all the time. That or my account along with thousands of other players are just at the lower end of RNG like 1 – 10 rolls compared to those who get ascended and exotic drops all the time getting 70 – 100 rolls lol.

Don’t want to burst your bubble but those exotics aren’t worth much(they are like 60s now) and I only dropped an ascended from tequatl once after around 40-50 tries. XD Runes of the Sunless are dirty cheap and Settler’s Inscription has stats I don’t need. Though I do realize there’s always worse loot out there…

About the damage thingy – it was an example. I don’t know how much damage you have to deal. But it is known that damage is the only factor that grants you loot and completed events. Trust me, I’ve played as a low level healing-guardian multiple times. At level 50 I was able to survive teq and even though I helped out many many people and used conjured weapons, I still either received bad rewards or nothing at all. x/

(edited by Yoroiookami.3485)

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I don’t think 50k is even a lot, considering in the initial phase you can utilize the double dmg spot

Seera.5916

Same with Karka

etc.

It’s do X damage and get a reward. RNG tables take over from there.

There are no damage thresholds for better loot.

My elementalist on a build more designed for healing than dealing DPS still gets exotics from group events. My DPS is laughably low.

It follows this:

Was X damage done? No? Sorry, no loot.

Yes? Well, generate a number between A and Z, Y times. Here’s what each number means. By the way, no more than B exotics, C ascended (fractals only, except for a few specific bosses), etc.

Rares have a higher range of numbers than Exotics do.

RNG is random number generator. The RNG rolled is compared against a table which determines the loot. If it was damage dealt then a lot more people would be getting precursors as there would be a guide for how to deal enough damage to the right boss to get a precursor out of it.

Yoroiookami.3485

If it was damage dealt then a lot more people would be getting precursors as there would be a guide for how to deal enough damage to the right boss to get a precursor out of it.

That’s probably true. Though why not assume that precursors are a completely seperate thing? They sure have a much lower drop rate than other exotics. I wouldn’t give them the same rarity just because their quality is called ‘exotic’.

Seera.5916

If it was damage dealt then a lot more people would be getting precursors as there would be a guide for how to deal enough damage to the right boss to get a precursor out of it.

That’s probably true. Though why not assume that precursors are a completely seperate thing? They sure have a much lower drop rate than other exotics. I wouldn’t give them the same rarity just because their quality is called ‘exotic’.

But on your system there would have to be a specific damage point to get them.

There are a few precursors specifically tied to certain world bosses. Shadow Behemoth has one if I recall correctly. This would likely have to come in the event specific chest.

And I do imagine they have a flag on them that keeps them out of the general exotic pool. Or at least reduces the chances of getting them. Like if you roll a 1 you get it, if you roll anything up to 1000, you don’t.

But it’s all RNG as to what you get.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

“Magic Find is both an account bonus and a character attribute that increases the chance to receive higher-quality loot from slain foes and from structured PvP reward track loot boxes. It does not affect any other containers (including champion loot bags), any chests, or any other source of loot.”

Know your facts before you post.

Dusty Moon.4382

“Magic Find is both an account bonus and a character attribute that increases the chance to receive higher-quality loot from slain foes and from structured PvP reward track loot boxes. It does not affect any other containers (including champion loot bags), any chests, or any other source of loot.”

Know your facts before you post.

I know the above well, as I have stated that before. BUT…

Since I have increased my MF, I do seem to get more good items from loot bags and chests. It is an empirical study, but the above does seem to bear out with my guildmates when I asked them about it.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

It’s not a class thing, or a damage thing, but the variance you’re seeing is very real.

As far as I can tell when you roll a toon it is randomly assigned a luck “seed” that makes for its base luck, and then you’re MF piles on top of (or maybe underneath) that seed.

So it is entirely possible to have one toon be extremely unlucky, and another extremely lucky. You hear stories of people getting Dusk twice on the same Arah run, while I do not have first hand experience a friend of mine was on a run with someone who did (could the guy have been lying through his teeth? technically yes there is the possibility).

My own experiments support the possibility however. I put two of my toons at the end of the same JP for just under two months and opened the chest with each every day. The results were pretty drastic.
~90% of the time my warrior got 2 greens, and 2 gemstones/crests
~90% of the time my ele got only 2 greens
The warrior also got 1 exotic and about 6/7 rares
The Ele? Nothin but green
A small sample size to be sure, but added to the experiments of friends of mine (with a lot more money to throw at it) indicate very strongly that different characters have different amounts of luck outside the account bound MF.
It also indicates that whatever anet might say about MF affecting chests/bags/other loot sources, it does affect at least some of them (or at least the luck seed does)

As a second example, in the pavilion, comparing my Guardian and Engie.
Opening roughly 100 champ bags each my Engie got 8 exotics and about 12 rares.
My guardian? 1 rare.

People can quote anet all they like, but for how long did we tell them MF was broken with them swearing up and down everything was perfectly fine only to find out….oh, no it wasn’t perfectly fine? Honestly I don’t really trust them to know what does and doesn’t work the way they think it does, not anymore.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Ascimator.6735

Ascimator.6735

It’s not a class thing, or a damage thing, but the variance you’re seeing is very real.

As far as I can tell when you roll a toon it is randomly assigned a luck “seed” that makes for its base luck, and then you’re MF piles on top of (or maybe underneath) that seed.

So it is entirely possible to have one toon be extremely unlucky, and another extremely lucky. You hear stories of people getting Dusk twice on the same Arah run, while I do not have first hand experience a friend of mine was on a run with someone who did (could the guy have been lying through his teeth? technically yes there is the possibility).

My own experiments support the possibility however. I put two of my toons at the end of the same JP for just under two months and opened the chest with each every day. The results were pretty drastic.
A small sample size to be sure, but added to the experiments of friends of mine (with a lot more money to throw at it) indicate very strongly that different characters have different amounts of luck outside the account bound MF.
It also indicates that whatever anet might say about MF affecting chests/bags/other loot sources, it does affect at least some of them (or at least the luck seed does)

My guardian? 1 rare.

People can quote anet all they like, but for how long did we tell them MF was broken with them swearing up and down everything was perfectly fine only to find out….oh, no it wasn’t perfectly fine? Honestly I don’t really trust them to know what does and doesn’t work the way they think it does, not anymore.

Oh dear, another unlucky account conspiracy follower.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Back when I ran the Queensdale train to level up my engineer, I noticed that I would often seem to get mostly loot with prefixes associated with the stats I had invested more in.

Though I don’t know if I can say I’ve seen that pattern strongly enough on my guardian to suggest anything about the loot tables.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Yoroiookami.3485

My guardian? 1 rare.

My friend(firsthand) crafted 2 precursors in mystic forge in the same day. It was one of her first tries too. And she did that by putting random rares in it. Sooo lucky. x3

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

RNG when a drop rate is so low that it is difficult to impossible to farm for that item.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Sounds like some combination of magical thinking and confirmation bias. Your character’s profession does not affect loot. If it were the case, don’t you think it would have been stated somewhere? Why would ArenaNet even want this?