Is THoTS last episode of the HoT?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bokac.3015

bokac.3015

Hey folks, hey devs, hello everyone. I’ve finally got into the position to afford miself a HoT expansion for ~25 euros, but, I was wondering – is this the last new thing that we’re going to see before the eventual new expansion? Share your thoughts, help me to convince myself that buying the xpac now is a good thing. ^^ Cheers!

Sir Bolexs Of Night – lvl 80 Human Warrior
Bstjorn – lvl 80 Charr Ranger
Infuser Bluewave – lvl 80 Sylvari Elementalist

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

You mean aside the live story that’s been coming out since last year? oô

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It is known that Anet is working on another expansion. Living story 3 has been produced and is in progress that will fill in until the expansion.

Wiki on LS3

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3

The Burninator

bokac.3015

It is known that Anet is working on another expansion. Living story 3 has been produced and is in progress that will fill in until the expansion.

Wiki on LS3

Yeah, but, do we know when it’ll be launched? I mean, I don’t want to spend 25 euros now if the new thing is going to get released in like 3-4 months, since I could just buy the new one then and get HoT with it.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Wiki on LS3

Actually, we don’t know if LS3 will last until then or not. They might take another break, then do a LS4. Yes, it seems unlikely, but we can’t rule it out yet.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Wiki on LS3

Yeah, but, do we know when it’ll be launched? I mean, I don’t want to spend 25 euros now if the new thing is going to get released in like 3-4 months, since I could just buy the new one then and get HoT with it.

We won’t be getting a new expac in the next 6 months. There are 3 LWS3 teams working on episodes, so we can presume 6 episodes (2 for each team) at a minimum, this is the 4th that is being released on Tuesday. So we have a minimum of 4 months left to finish LWS3, but that could be extended to 6 months since ANet said new episodes every 2-3 months. Then even if we got the new expac immediately after LWS3 ended (ie no new content in between), ANet would still wait a few months between finishing LWS3 and dropping the expac for final beta testing and whatnot (which they probably don’t want to coincide with LWS3).

Besides, I don’t think there is a guarantee that buying the second expac will give you the first one for free. I don’t recall ANet ever promising that (even though I think it will happen)

bokac.3015

Awesome, thanks everyone for the info, I think I’m convinced. ^^

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Besides, I don’t think there is a guarantee that buying the second expac will give you the first one for free. I don’t recall ANet ever promising that (even though I think it will happen)

Actually, they did say that. (Though they didn’t use the word “promise”.) They don’t want having to buy a bunch of old expansions to be a limiter on new people getting into the full game, so the current expansion will always include all the previous stuff as well.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The next expansion hasn’t even been officially announced yet. The only thing we know about it is that it’s being made – nothing about what will be in it, what it’s called or when it will be released. (Although there’s a lot of fan theories on all of that.)

Which means it’s not going to come out any time soon. I would expect them to do a big announcement at least about 3 months ahead, more likely 6-8 months. (Then continue the promotion and revealing details until release.)

Also they’ve indirectly confirmed there will be a Season 3 Episode 5 because Mike O’Brien said that’s when the new raid will be released. I think it’s likely there will be at least 1 more after that, just based on the length of time before they can release another expansion.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Seeing as they announced HoT over a year before it launched, I tho k ANet will want to keep things under wraps until the game is a few months away from launch. So we will not get it until season 3 is over, and at a guess I’d say we will probably get between 8-10 episodes.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wiki on LS3

We won’t be getting a new expac in the next 6 months. There are 3 LWS3 teams working on episodes, so we can presume 6 episodes (2 for each team) at a minimum, this is the 4th that is being released on Tuesday. So we have a minimum of 4 months left to finish LWS3, but that could be extended to 6 months since ANet said new episodes every 2-3 months. Then even if we got the new expac immediately after LWS3 ended (ie no new content in between), ANet would still wait a few months between finishing LWS3 and dropping the expac for final beta testing and whatnot (which they probably don’t want to coincide with LWS3).

Here’s the actual statement:

In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.’

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.’

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

Keep in mind that that was only their plan, it caused complaints and was announced prior to play 4 free.

Considering HoT isn’t actually required, there’s simply no reason to include with the next expansion. Why include it and not the living world for example? Core masteries and gliding (if it’s actually needed) could simply be unlocked for paid accounts.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, my personal opinion is that they will honor the statement. Why not include it? It makes the next expansion more attractive to new players, and all those given the advice to wait to purchase HoT, as it will be included in the next expansion. I can’t see them back-tracking, considering it will cause backlash.

Still, only time will tell.

Danikat.8537

Maybe they’ll do something like Elder Scrolls Online is with their first expansion: They’re selling just the expansion on it’s own for £30 or the base game + the expansion for £40.

So you’ll be able to buy just the next GW2 expansion or the expansion + HoT (which obviously includes the base game).

I think that would be a good approach, because then there’s options for everyone – new players only have to buy 1 thing but existing players don’t feel like they’re having to pay for content they’ve already got.

Posted by: LouWolfskin.3492

LouWolfskin.3492

Maybe they’ll do something like Elder Scrolls Online is with their first expansion: They’re selling just the expansion on it’s own for £30 or the base game + the expansion for £40.

So you’ll be able to buy just the next GW2 expansion or the expansion + HoT (which obviously includes the base game).

I think that would be a good approach, because then there’s options for everyone – new players only have to buy 1 thing but existing players don’t feel like they’re having to pay for content they’ve already got.

Which they wouldn’t do anyway but explaining that to people already failed with HoT for some reason.

Danikat.8537

Which they wouldn’t do anyway but explaining that to people already failed with HoT for some reason.

That’s why I said they won’t feel like they’re being charged twice, instead of so they’re not charged twice.

When you’re marketing a product how your customers feel about the price is almost as important as the actual price. That’s why so many things are £9.99 instead of £10. (Most) people aren’t stupid enough to believe it’s actually significantly cheaper but it feels like it is, so people are more likely to buy it.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Sounds unlikely. We’re dealing with dragons and the episode deals more with human politics and struggles. Sounds more like something that is filler rather than main storyline.

Not claiming it is either way, just doesnt have that vibe there will be a big reveal at the end leading to a second expansion and more like loose ends that need to be dealt with.

Also, the last season had 8 episodes, though not sure how much that carries weight.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)