Is WvW worth getting into?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Axel.4018

Axel.4018

Pretty much the question in the title. I’ve played this game for quite a while(since release, with like a 2 year break), and i only really played PvE, and a little bit of sPvP(which i hated), but I never really tried WvW. Obiovusly one of the reasons is that i hate PvP in this game but I also have this feeling that when i’ll try it, I’ll be just running around pointlessly and be getting owned by people who actually know what they’re doing. So I want to ask: is there A LOT os PvP’ing, does it actually yield any good loot, and is it overall worth getting into if I’ve already done most of the PvE stuff.

Any answers much appreciated

Posted by: AkiraZero.8514

AkiraZero.8514

For most people, WvW is what you’d call end game content. Once you’re done with all the usual PvE junk and dont have much else left to do, WvW is one of the few things that you can jump into day after day and feel like you’re still accomplishing something.
Its much different to PvP, while there is skill involved, you dont need to be amazing at your class to contribute to the score.
If you do want the PvP aspect you can solo roam or roam in small groups and duel.
You can run with your severs zerg behind the commander and have fun fights that way, as long as your character is geared right, surviving and killing is fairly easy.
Theres also scouting, upgrading, camp taking etc to do if you get bored of running with the big groups.
As for loot, its not what you’d call great, you’ll make far more doing dungeons or PvE content but if you can get on a good server with lots of big group fights you will soon find yourself making enough money to make it worth while.

Personally WvW is the one thing that keeps me playing, I’ve leveled up every class pretty much in WvW/EOTM and its what keeps me rotating through my characters to learn them better.

Also, I got the axe precursor during a big wvw fight last week so that has pretty much covered all my gameplay for life now xD

Akira Antares/Necrosymphonic/Valiant Echo [AVA] [ZERO]
Gandara

(edited by AkiraZero.8514)

Posted by: Radke.9467

Radke.9467

I’ve been ‘gaming’ for over 15 years and during it’s first 12-18 months, Gw2 WvW was the greatest thing I’ve ever played in any game.

Shame it’s dead now though.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Pretty much the question in the title. I’ve played this game for quite a while(since release, with like a 2 year break), and i only really played PvE, and a little bit of sPvP(which i hated), but I never really tried WvW. Obiovusly one of the reasons is that i hate PvP in this game but I also have this feeling that when i’ll try it, I’ll be just running around pointlessly and be getting owned by people who actually know what they’re doing. So I want to ask: is there A LOT os PvP’ing, does it actually yield any good loot, and is it overall worth getting into if I’ve already done most of the PvE stuff.

I think Spvp and WvW appeal to a different personality type then pve does. Spvp and Wvw is more competition and less play than pve.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I really like WvW (and I don’t so much like SPvP).

My advice to you to bridge the gap is to try EoTM first which is like a half step between actual WvW and PvE. Find a commander, try to get to him. Follow him around. Profit.

You’ll start to get the hang of things.

Posted by: Falan.1839

Falan.1839

It’s definitely worth it if you enjoy some kind of competitive play (even though it is not as much based on individual skill as sPvP it is arguably still a steeper learning curve than PvE), but I would not recommend it if you’re just in for the easy rewards. There are stituations like that in WvW, too (Karma Trains) but it is not what WvW is about. You will need to learn a few things, but if you run in a zerg (follow a commander) you can still contribute and have some feelings of success, while not being an experienced player yet. I’d say it is definitely easier to get into than sPvP, which can be quite frustrating for new players.

Caissech / Falásya

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

It can be lots of fun, try it some time

Posted by: Akrib.4297

Akrib.4297

I believe it’s one of the best aspects of the game. Never enjoyed the living story to much, didn’t even complete all of them. WvW and EOTM are worth it.

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

I used to be a 100% PvE player and I never was really big into PvP in games. However, with the introduction of Living Story, my interest in PvE content has dropped substantially and I decided to branch out into WvW. I now spend a large chunk of my time in the game in WvW because it’s really well made imo. Depending on which server you’re on, the WvW maps can range from completely dead to full-scale war. I stick with solo roaming for the challenge while occasionally tagging along with a zerg, but I’d definitely recommend trying WvW out especially if you’re bored of stale PvE content. That’s my opinion anyway.

Golden shackles are still golden.

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

If you’re looking for loot then don’t look at WvW.

But don’t disregard it because of that. Whilst it is probably the least rewarding portion of the game, it is also one of the most fun. Its very beginner friendly, as long as you have a lv80 toon. Just join EB or a BL in prime time and zerg with the commander until you get the hang of things. Alternatively practice a bit on EOTM.

WvW isn’t so much PvP because there is a lot more focus on team play, support builds, tactics and less of a simple 1v1 slaughter match.

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Posted by: SilverWF.4789

SilverWF.4789

be getting owned by people who actually know what they’re doing

Excuse me, but you are didn’t? You are playing for some class and you are still didn’t know what you are doing? O.o
WvW can give a fun to everyone: if you have a lot of friends (or big WvW-guild) you can get a lot of interesting sieges every day.
If you are soloer, so you can just a roam and get a lot of interesting 1vs1/2/3 fights every day too.

But, in the WvW more from sandbox and less – from teampark. There is no alarms, like “go there, do this and you’ll get a fun!”. Not, you need to lurk enemies, decide for yourself what to do, attack someone or not, etc.
Also, you need to change your gear and or spec, based on your preferably activity, optimizing yourself (!) in the fights with the live enemies, not with dumb monsters.

#SAVEDONBASS from Ukraine!
Seafarer’s Rest (EU): Liicher (Engi), Lii Cher (Warrior), Swf (Elem),
Licharr (Guard), Lich Eir (Ranger), Alt Fh (Thief). Lii Cherr (Mesm), S Wf (Necr)

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

The thing with World vs. World is that whether it’ll be fun for you or not will depend on what server you are a part of as there are some servers that are have more dedicated WvWers than others. But in general, I find it more fun to play as opposed to structured PvP out of personal preference for full-scale war style competitive play plus a chance to mingle with the other fellow server-mates who are fighting the good fight.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I really like WvW (and I don’t so much like SPvP).

My advice to you to bridge the gap is to try EoTM first which is like a half step between actual WvW and PvE. Find a commander, try to get to him. Follow him around. Profit.

You’ll start to get the hang of things.

No way. EoTM teaches terrible play in that the commanders there are more interested in K-training, loot, and exp than the actual score. The attitude is literally to ignore enemy siege and let them flip areas on the sheer principle that it lets you re-cap the objective again from them faster for more EXP/loot because it nets better rewards per unit of time by just giving it to them. Carrying that attitude from EoTM to WvW will only be a nuisance to your server and make you perform worse in combat in that the fights in EoTM are paltry and significantly less skill-intensive than in actual WvW.

WvW is a fantastic game mode, and with populated servers, is in my opinion one of the best things to happen in recent MMO history. If you’re on a low-tier server it might not be super exciting, but it’s definitely worth getting into if you’re on the mid-high end. I’d first suggest starting out by gearing and leveling your character (80 in exotics) and latching on to a small group taking out camps and maybe the odd tower or so in a borderlands. Commanders with all different guild tags following them (such to not be a guild group) will help you work on your larger-scale fighting skills so you can survive and learn more about blob fighting. Getting on teamspeak or whatever platform your server’s commanders use for ordering people around/getting intel can help out a lot as well as to learn some of the nuances and what to expect.

It also might help out a bit to try and join a guild which does WvW raids and will let you tag along. Explain to them you’re new to it but want to learn, and they’ll probably help you out a lot. I wouldn’t suggest first joining the big names but some PvX groups and more casual guilds which run occasional raids to get you more familiar with the format before committing yourself to it, as these guilds are usually more forgiving and will likely let you start out doing small objectives with whatever build you prefer to use (assuming it’s half decent) rather than some of the stricter WvW meta builds.

Good luck out there!

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Yes.

As a player who dislikes esport/spvp/arena in a mmo, WvW/RvR/PvPvX or any other larger PvPvX modes are pretty much what I look for in a mmo that I want to invest time in.

“but I also have this feeling that when i’ll try it, I’ll be just running around pointlessly and be getting owned by people who actually know what they’re doing.”

you will be owned, but that’s ok ,that’s how you learn. It will teach you placement, other builds/professions, and how to move around in those open maps.

Just a few tips,

1. a dead WvW server will not yield the results you’re hoping for.
2. Find a commander, and stick to the commander. This will help you learn the maps in a fairly safe way.
3. Join some guildies/friends for havoc squad action.
4. Change your weapon/traits to match what you plan to do; zerg, small group, and solo (gank’n or making it to a commander that’s far away).
5. luv the food
6. When in a zerg find a group or make one, better chance for loot, loot can range from junk to precursor.

Hope it helps, happy hunting.

JQ Druid