Is anyone happy with this game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chazbot.3291

Chazbot.3291

I recently bought the game since it’s finally dropped in price and was excited to start playing especially since a expansion is soon to drop. But after reading the general forums and some of the profession forums it seems like most people are unhappy with the balance issues, content issues and even persistent bugs.
I guess if you don’t have anything to complain about you’re not going to post on the forums. Just wondering where all the positive comments are and if you had to start all over with the way the game is now, would you?

(edited by Chazbot.3291)

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

you already answered your own question, people who are happy don’t complain.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m happy and excited for the future

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

A lot of people go to the forums to vent their frustration and provide feedback on things they think need improving.

Unless I’m missing a major announcement, the game has always been buy to play so nothing changed there I think?

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

gw2 is going f2p?!?
It’s b2p currently, as gw has always been.
Forums are forums so why should it be, everyone should get along so awfully?

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

This assumption is so much biased.

I’m happy with the game, I can say I love it and I want it to be the best game of the millenium. However the management, the decisions they are making, lack of significant content for 3 years… this is disappointing to me because this game could have been so great but it’s only average.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

The game was always f2p, nothing changed.

You go on the forums for 3 main reasons.
- Talk about stuff you dislike
- Ask question/help people by answering that question
- Community discussion about what is to come, what is best, etc.

So of course, when you read a forums you gonna have a hard time see people talk about how awesome the game is. They gonna talk about that is wrong, but that doesn’t mean that they dislike the game. People care enough about the game to go on the forums and talk about the issues they think the game have.

GW2 isn’t a perfect game and like most MMO it change over time. And not everybody like the changes. Anet did some mistakes and will continue to do so, but they still created a solid game that is worth playing in my opinion.

If I had to start all over? I’m not sure. If I lose everything I have on my account I would be so kitten off, I probably wouldn’t be playing for a long time. But I think I would be back for the expansion.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

It’s a great game, don’t let any comments or rage topics make you think otherwise. There are few issues here and there like in any MMO, you can’t make everyone happy, but overall is one of the best games out there.
And it’s B2P, I don’t know where you got the F2P idea.

segman.3560

Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 was NEVER F2P game.
It is a B2P model.

Please don’t spread lies.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Two things.

The game was always b2p. 40 bucks to even get in.

Most people on the forums are here because they are unhappy about something pertaining to the game, so the majority of opinions you see will be negative.

There are many thousands more players that have just started, have been here for 2+ years, and everything in between that are happily zerging along/enjoying the game with their friends/dueling. Don’t gauge the health of the game by what we say here; we’re generally irritated. All the people with positive reviews are currently enjoying the content (with a small outlier perusing the forums at work).

Pretty sure Anet has learned how to sift through our general angst for honest critique by now, too.

If I had to start over? Yes and no. I like the game, but I’m going to be pretty miffed (and probably quit) if all of the equipment and etc. I worked for were suddenly removed. I’m not diehard, but I’m content with what they’re providing so far. It’s leagues above many other mmos that launch decades old engines with glossy graphics paint and market their games as new and innovative when they’re not.
Anet has my attention because they think outside the box and challenge what MMO perceived conventions are. And if I wanna drop off for a month and go play Warframe? No sub fee. Come back whenever. Dont even worry about getting left behind. Most youll miss is a really pretty/nice sounding trinket that you could have gotten if you were paying attention to Dulfy.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

I’m happy with the game, I can say I love it and I want it to be the best game of the millenium. However the management, the decisions they are making, lack of significant content for 3 years… this is disappointing to me because this game could have been so great but it’s only average.

its a fact and you proved it, you ain’t as happy as you would like thats why you are complaining.

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I’ve got somewhere in the realm of 2000 hours of playtime on GW2, I believe. I know quite a few who have over 4000 hours of playtime.

Best advice: Play the game, and form your own opinion.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

The recent camera changes are awesome.

segman.3560

its a fact and you proved it, you ain’t as happy as you would like thats why you are complaining.

But I’m enjoying a game. I stopped buying gems until they fix their approach and I still believe I will see better times for GW2. If not well I got what I paid for. Problem is you only see black and white reality – that if I like the game I should praise it and if I don’t like some parts of it I must be a smelly hater. Well it’s not that simple. I am an aware customer, I demand the product that I’m buying to be perfect. And I’m using my customer right to complain about things I don’t like.

I could call myself passionate about this game and this is why my blood boils when devs do changes I consider bad.

I don’t have to be a fanboy to love this game.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

As others have pointed out GW2 is buy to play. It was never a free to play. It didn’t “go” buy to play. That’s always been the model, all the way back to GW1.

Beyond that, you definitely need to take what you read on forums with a very large grain of salt. If you’d ever read any other gaming forum, you’d think they were all big steaming piles, but they aren’t. They all have their good components and their bad components. Some people enjoy playing them and never say a peep. Others hate absolutely everything about them, but seem to lack the common sense to move on. And of course you have every shade in between.

OP, the best thing you can do is ignore what everyone else has said, and just give it a go with an open mind. That’s the only way to know if you like it, if it’s a game the suits your needs, whatever they may be. And if it turns out that it isn’t your cup of tea, well, it happens.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

You’ll see a few positive comments when we get new content. Pretty much everyone loved the Balthazar outfit, for example.

Beyond that most people come here for general discussion, suggestions and complaints. As a result, there’s a fair bit more negativity. It’s human nature. We get used to good things pretty easily and eventually barely notice them, while annoyances stay on our mental radar quite a bit longer or even become magnified over time.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I don’t have to be a fanboy to love this game.

+1

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: PyroRobby.1987

PyroRobby.1987

Yes, actually I am enjoying it quite a lot. Had left the game for maybe a year or so, played several other games and then left Archeage and did the WoD expac. Only took about 2 months of WoD to be done with that. Did the new SWTOR expac and enjoyed it; but it isn’t holding my interest to continue playing it everyday. Bought all the TSW updates from Tokyo and went to playing it again, it is a great story line but the quest are arduous and exhausting, so it is shelved and played very very slowly, not at all now since picking up GW2 again.

GW2 I already had a level 80 necro; but on return I just didn’t remember anything about the game, so I started a Ranger from scratch. Bought a lot of gems for skins and gold to level my crafting as I quested and out leveled my gear. Did WvW at 18 and thought that not a good idea, so I just continued leveling my Ranger and to hit 80 was maybe 2 weeks play. As I played, solo, I came to realize in comparison to other games I have played people in this game are actually very pleasant to be around and helpful. The quest are fun and plentiful and all the things I don’t like about other games this games handles nicely.

Personally I am one that usually has a phobia with grouping as it gives me anxiety to group, due to so many bad experiences with players in other games; but I gave grouping a try just yesterday and rather enjoyed the experience. Where a month ago I bought the pre-order of Witcher 3 and it should be available soon for download, I will download it; but I fairly sure I will be playing GW2 a lot still as the return has been a great experience.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

And those of us that do ‘complain’, are happy with the stuff that we don’t complain about (else we’d be complaining about that too).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Please do not use these forums as a “measuring stick” on the general playerbase attitude toward the game. I’d say 95% of the actual player base has never logged in here (or maybe once or twice to report a problem or investigate a bug or account issue).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

I got Guild Wars back in 2005, own every expansion and I love it. I got Guild Wars 2 CE in 2012, preordered it as soon as Game Stop would let me in 2010/2011 I think. Do I love it? Yes, yes I do. Are there things I would like to see added or changed, yes. GW2 was always meant to be distant from the original, mainly because the original became bloated with skills, many of which had 2-3 versions of the same thing. Guild Wars 2 makes you think more to survive, you have to constantly learn and evolve your build to meet the fight.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: CodeHavoc.7926

CodeHavoc.7926

I dont have a problem with the game per say. Ive played it for two years now, almost 1000 hours in game and there are plenty of things to do. My main issue is with Areananet with balance issues, bugs and the PR depot needs some work.

Necro Jesus is a thing apparently
The Zerker Bunker meta is the biggest bug in the game

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I guess if you don’t have anything to complain about you’re not going to post on the forums.

A while ago on the german forums our CM posted that only 3% of the players
visit the forums and only 1% post at the forums.

Just to say how relevant the forums are in the end ^^

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

To answer the Topic. Yes I am very happy with this game and this game is in my opinion the best MMO ever made. I have been playing it almost everyday since the 3-days headstart and I always find stuff to do. Some complain about being forced to grind while I have rarely done any grind in this game. Some complain about hard content while I think that alot of content is too easy. Some complain about stacking and Zerker while I rarely do that becouse I don’t need to. Some complain about empty maps while I have enough friends to play with. Some complains about full maps and Lag while I rarely lag or have problems with DC’s or have a difficult time doing events.

Many complains about stuff that they are not happy about but they like other parts of the game. 10 out of 50 might not like Part A of the game, another 10 of 50 do not like Part B and so on… They voice their complaints here on the forums becouse they want a good game to become even better. So in the end forums are filled with complaints but also feedback but less filled with possitive threads.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There’s stuff to complain about in all games, including this one. Forums for most MMOs are overwhelmingly negative because people often don’t see the big picture.

If you nerf a build to a particular profession even if everyone saw it coming a mile away, and even if it’s the right thing to do, people of that profession will complain. Not all the people, but those that complain will complain loudly.

There are certain changes to the game that didn’t work and are being changed again in the near future. But this isn’t particularly uncommon with MMOs either. If you keep putting more stuff in the game and trying stuff, some people are going to be disenfranchised.

I play this game a lot. I enjoy the game a lot. I have over 200 people in my guild. over a hundred of which log in every week, and most of us, the vast majority of us, are having a great time.

Forums are forums. They’re not reality.

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

I’m happy with the game… now that I caved in and changed my main from Charr to Sylvari, I can now make use of this game’s end content ( cosmetics )

Still, this is the best MMO I’ve played since I started in this genre in 2004. There are alot of things, details really, that people take for granted in GW2’s design that when you go play another MMO you find seriously lacking. Outstanding character animations, instanced ressource nodes, shared, account wide vault, a world that feels alive ( as long as you stop and take some time to actually look at it happening ), massive amount of customisation ( as long as you don’t play charr as I said above :P ).

Sure there are things you can find elsewhere and even in better quality but never ( not yet at least) all in one place.

I won’t mention “balance” as that is a concern for the PvP crowd of which I am not. I do wish they finally get what they are clamoring for… as long as it doesn’t cripple the PvE game for others like me.

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

I’m very happy with the game thus far! There’s a lot for me to still discover even after almost a year of playing, and I haven’t gotten bored once. That could just be because I play for a few hours a day, or the RP, but either way I’m digging it.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I like the game still, but I’m less than happy with the forums right now. That’s another story though.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Your first mistake was hopping on the forums before playing the game yourself.

A quick way to quit playing a game is to read all negative comments on the official forums. It only highlights the negatives, typically in an overly dramatic and exaggerated way. Anyone who defends is instantly called fanboy/white knight.

Play the game at your own pace and come to your own conclusions.

Been playing GW2 since early release and I’m happy as a clam. I’ve only ever been able to muster 1-2hrs/day with my work schedule, so I can’t comment as someone who plays 8hrs/day. I’m at ~1800hrs played or so at this point and still enjoy myself.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

segman.3560

A quick way to quit playing a game is to read all negative comments on the official forums. It only highlights the negatives, typically in an overly dramatic and exaggerated way. Anyone who defends is instantly called fanboy/white knight.

Been playing GW2 since early release and I’m happy as a clam. I’ve only ever been able to muster 1-2hrs/day with my work schedule, so I can’t comment as someone who plays 8hrs/day. I’m at ~1800hrs played or so at this point and still enjoy myself.

Well while Anet hypes everything to the oblivion, forums make a natural balance for that hype. This is why we’re getting druids with HoT

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

What Draknar says is very true. Been playing since beta. Three years at least. And I still like the game. Less than happy with Living Story taking a backseat to the expansion, but again . . . that’s another story too.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

There are things I would like fixed, like events bugging out, but I’m quite happy.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Well while Anet hypes everything to the oblivion, forums make a natural balance for that hype. This is why we’re getting druids with HoT

I suppose Anet can’t release any information about their new expansion in an excited manner without it being called hyping. What company wouldn’t hype their own product anyway lol.

I also don’t understand the “why we’re getting druids with HoT” comment. We’re getting druids in HoT because Anet hypes everything? Or because the forums make a natural balance for the hype? Neither really makes sense.

Are you trying to say we’re getting druids because the forums dictated it? As in WoW players have somehow directed Anet into making druids? I’m honestly confused.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

segman.3560

I suppose Anet can’t release any information about their new expansion in an excited manner without it being called hyping. What company wouldn’t hype their own product anyway lol.

I also don’t understand the “why we’re getting druids with HoT” comment. We’re getting druids in HoT because Anet hypes everything? Or because the forums make a natural balance for the hype? Neither really makes sense.

Are you trying to say we’re getting druids because the forums dictated it? As in WoW players have somehow directed Anet into making druids? I’m honestly confused.

At the same time there are people who take any word of critique as hating or trolling. See? This works both ways.

I’m not defending anyone here. As I stated before, I love the game and at the same time I’m disappointed with it. World is not black and white.

And the druid part was a joke about balance between hype and hate. You know. Druids. Balance. Nature.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

As others have already stated, game forum users tend to be a vocal minority.

Personally, I may not always agree with everything regarding the game, but I’m still happy with it overall. If not, I wouldn’t be here.

Posted by: Beda Zzle.5281

Beda Zzle.5281

I am very happy with this game! All that is needed in my opinion is for them to add fishing in game! I loved the way fishing was done in WoW and if I could fish with a friend or two or three while letting my bow cool my little Asura would be in Heaven! Find a little out of the way lake on a rainy afternoon would be glorious!

PS… Please don’t hate for the WoW comment but I did like the way they implemented fishing… and In Archeage you can only fish if you have the labor (which sucks!)

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

I would say that the game is always trying to step forward, in the right direction, even if some times takes too long to do so.

My biggest complains about the game are (most related to balance):

• Lacks variety in builds (which is most likely to be increased with the new specialization system);
    • There is a lot of useless traits (but sadly according from what was show, some useless traits will remain in the new specialization system);
  • The WvW have heavily imbalance due population – they should merge some servers or try to do something else to fix this problem;
  • Some skills are useless (from weapons, heal, utilities and even elites) – and they do not even try or try very little to fix this problem;
  • Most things takes too long to unlock when leveling (this reduces the fun of leveling).

But I have nothing to complain about:

• This is one of the best, if not the best MMO that I played. They really tried to bring the best experience possible as MMO;
  • This is a cooperative MMO instead of a a competitive one (there is no loot or exp steal and most events are incentives to do with other players);
  • Like I said, the game is always getting better, even if some times takes too long to do so;
  • There is no P2W;
  • The graphics and art are amazing (IMO);
  • The lore is unique.

I really complain about things that is not correct, but not because I don’t like the game, but mainly because I want to be even better. They only need to want and the game will be the best MMO available.

Sorry for my english.