Is buying a legendary for TP a viable option?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Circuleer.8213

Circuleer.8213

Hello everyone,

I read some other threads about this topic but those were old and not sure if they are up to date anymore.

I never liked crafting in any shape or form in any game I ever played. If a multiplayer game/co-op game involved crafting I was the one who would explore the map for materials to just drop them off for my friends whom like crafting. I guess it’s just not for me.

My questions is:

Is obtaining gold by doing trading, dungeoning, Fractals, WvW, sPvP, events etc. etc. a viable way to obtain a legendary weapon?

Bonus question:

Is it true that only legendary armor/trinket/backpiece are CRAFT-ONLY items?

I hope someone can help me out with these questions Any feedback is welcome.

Posted by: Massacre.2064

Massacre.2064

Well I’ve sold two legendaries so somebody is buying them.

Only g1 legendary weapons from launch are tradable. As a game ages, long time players pile up gold. If you want to keep them actually playing you have to make more and more stuff unattainable by gold alone.

Posted by: SmirkDog.3160

SmirkDog.3160

I mean if you have the gold and want the legendary weapon, then yeah. I had to buy a lot of mats for when I made mine (including the precursor, since I still have never gotten one as a drop), but it was cheaper because I was willing to do all the other stuff. If you don’t care about saving money and just really want it, then go for it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yes, you can purchase (only) Gen1 Legendary Weapons on the Trading Post.

Yes, the others involve Collections and, at the very least, the Mystic Forge.

Good luck.

Circuleer.8213

Thanks for the feedback so far. I know that they can be bought already.

The thing is, for example the bifrosts costs like 3,200 gold on the trading post.
Is gathering that amount of gold even possible in the slightest by just playing the game, selling all materials, actually doing stuff?

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

What is the rational for only allowing G1 Legendary to be sold? Why not allow all non-bound items to be sold? Wouldn’t this also be good for the game economy?

People who may not ever want to use a legendary shield won’t craft it, but if they can sell it for a profit, it may be worth it.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Of course 3200g is possible. I hover around 1600-1900 on my account, constantly spending it and earning more. You’d just need patience and a budget to get to 3200. How long that would take depends entirely on you. Instantly, via credit card, or years, via slowly gathering…

[edit] I hit 3000g once, then starting in on Ascended Armor and traded some for gems… Now 1800g is my norm.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Thanks for the feedback so far. I know that they can be bought already.

The thing is, for example the bifrosts costs like 3,200 gold on the trading post.
Is gathering that amount of gold even possible in the slightest by just playing the game, selling all materials, actually doing stuff?

It is, as players do buy Legendaries off the Trading Post. Some with Gold acquired from only in-game activities, and some with all or partial Gems-to-Gold exchange. And some just purchase the Precursor, and complete the rest of the journey in-game.

Good luck.

Circuleer.8213

So I guess the grind is on then. It feels more rewarding to grind for gold doing things I like in the game rather than crafting the whole thing.

One more questions though:

Legendary armor/backitems/accessories are only obtainable through crafting right? So I guess one day I will have to grab all my patience together to get it done :p

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Legendary armor = Raids, WvW, or PvP.

There is a wiki, link at top of page, and it provides all the info you seek.

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

If you have 10+ characters you can make 30+ gold coins a day/900+ gc a month just mining 6-7 rich iron ore nodes x character a day and selling it. Will take you 90-120 minutes a day.

If you only have 5- characters then the best way to gather a similar amount of mats is to use a single character (the one with the best mobility you have) to systematically gather all the seasoned logs, elder logs, tukawas… several times a day. Those logs will grow again an hour later and there’s guides with the best paths to farm them.

Both methods are very vaible, but require patience and grind. I’ve done it 3-4 times.

(edited by Buran.3796)

Posted by: milo.7198

milo.7198

I’m currently saving to buy a legendary, too. I absolutely loath crafting, you are not alone in that.
I constructed Bifrost in year two. That was enough of that noise, for me. But, I’ve gotten the legendary bug again, so i’ve started saving. I’m having more fun farming as I play, than focusing on farming and crafting. I’ve a long way to go, and it is a bit slower, but I’m not in a hurry.
And i admit, i’ve never focused on making gold in any game, so my methods are probably not the most efficient.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

If you have 10+ characters you can make 30+ gold coins a day/900+ gc a month just mining 6-7 rich iron ore nodes x character a day and selling it. Will take you 90-120 minutes a day.

If you only have 5- characters then the best way to gather a similar amount of mats is to use a single character (the one with the best mobility you have) to systematically gather all the seasoned logs, elder logs, tukawas… several times a day. Those logs will grow again an hour later and there’s guides with the best paths to farm them.

Both methods are very vaible, but require patience and grind. I’ve done it 3-4 times.

In 90-120 minutes you could make a ton of more gold by farming meta maps, doing fractals or just about any other lucrative gold spot in this game.

I’m not seeing the benefit of this hint.

On topic, yes buying generation 1 legendarys is absolutely viable. Do understand though that you are paying a hefty premium on top because people do not sell their stuff for free. The base price of generation 1 legendarys can be seen on gw2efficiency.com. Expect to pay a good extra 500 gold plus trading post fees on top of what it actually costs to craft the legendary.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

What is the rational for only allowing G1 Legendary to be sold? Why not allow all non-bound items to be sold? Wouldn’t this also be good for the game economy?

People who may not ever want to use a legendary shield won’t craft it, but if they can sell it for a profit, it may be worth it.

IIRC, all parts and steps of the G2 Legendary Weapons are Bound, as such the Final Legendary is bound, the G1, the Precursor is unbound, ergo the Legendary weapon is also Unbound.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

There is multiple reasons as to why, the most dominant one though would be so that creditcard warriors don’t buy themselves all the nice skins without ever having played the game.

It was a step towards having players be rewarded for actually playing the game and working towards legendarys. Once gen 1 legendarys were tradable it turned into a pure “gather x amount of gold, buy legendary”. Now with gen 2 legendarys, armor and trinkets there is at least a minimum amount of gameplay a person has to bring to the table.