Is crafting Legendary weapons this expensive?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Avectius.3271

Avectius.3271

So I just checked GW2legends, and according to their information, the cost of getting all the materials and precursors for both Twilight and Sunrise (I’m gonna go for Eternity, btw) is over 4000 f$#&ing gold. Am I reading this right? I mean, what if I craft the mats rather than buying them from the TP? Will it still be expensive? Cause, heck, if this is the case, then I’d rather just buy Eternity directly from the TP, as right now, it costs slightly less than crafting Sunrise and Twilight.

Jesus christ. Didn’t think it’d be this much. Guess I’ll need more than one paycheck <.<

But how much did it cost you guys? Assuming whomever replies has crafted Eternity, of course. Is it truly that expensive? Share your knowledge.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

You can’t craft the mats, you can farm them though.
I think ready made legendaries are pretty cheap considered how much effort it takes to craft them.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twilight
As an example – the wiki is really good to look up what you need for each legendary.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Craft a legendary will cost you one of two way. Time or money. You decide do I want to make a cost of my time or do I want to not spend time and use money?

;)

Avectius.3271

I think ready made legendaries are pretty cheap considered how much effort it takes to craft them.
As an example – the wiki is really good to look up what you need for each legendary.

But are legendaries that expensive? How did you craft whatever ones you have? Give me an example. How much gold total did it cost you to do it?

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

How did you craft whatever ones you have? Give me an example. How much gold total did it cost you to do it?

Not everyone has a legendary for a reason xD

I personally spent my time and money on going full ascended rather than getting a legendary.

Jana.6831

But are legendaries that expensive? How did you craft whatever ones you have? Give me an example. How much gold total did it cost you to do it?

Nothing because I farmed the mats – but in the end it doesn’t matter as both is worth the same: You can farm mats which are worth say 1k, or you can buy them and spend 1k.
Time or money, like the guys before me said.
The netto win for a ready legendary is somewhat around 300-500 gold but you get 2 gifts of exploration per map exploration and need one to craft a legendary = half of your character is gone (so to speak) = 400 gems if you plan to craft more legendaries to sell. You need ~1 mio karma that takes a while as well. You need ~1k? spiritshards, to get them it takes a few months on a level 80, you need dungeon tokens, you need badges of honour for which you have to play wvw or EotM (latter is fast though, it’s harder to come by badges in usual wvw).

ETA: By forging Mystic Clovers you’ll get some T6 mats though, but for that you need Mystic Coins which you can either buy or wait until you get enough from the daylies and Globs of Ectoplasm which you get by salvaging rare items for which you best do world boss trains = time.
ETA²: You also need Spirit Shards for Mystic Clovers. (= a level 80 char doing level 80 stuff for quite some time = killing mobs, champ trains).

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

One reason it might be cheaper to buy Eternity than to craft it is that if you create Twilight and Sunrise, you can unlock their skins (account-binding them,) and then forge them into Eternity, which you can sell. You don’t end up with a legendary weapon or the Eternity skin, but you get Twilight and Sunrise skins, and you make back at least 3200g in the process. (Highest buy order: 3793, then take off 15% for TP fees)

With that money, you’re well on your way to making another legendary. You could probably buy any one-handed legendary with the profit, or save up another couple hundred and get whatever you want besides Eternity.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

around 365 for Incinerator
600 something for Meteorlogicus
200 something for Kamohoali’i Kotaki

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I had dusk drop & I sold it for 1300 (less 15%) and bought dawn for 900. With what was left over I was able to get most of the remaining components for the gifts of might & magic. The 450ish ectos on top of that I had amassed myself, along with all the common materials for the gift of metal. The gift of light I had about a third of the lodestones for, but the 100g for the icy runestones is unavoidable.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I just haven’t bothered.

I suppose I may do, eventually, but it is extremely off-putting.

Especially if you only do WvW.

It’s, basically, the same amount as I’ve spent on everything else I have bought, with real money, so far.

For one weap…

Not only that, but the complicated nature of the “recipe” puts me to sleep, every time I look at it on the wiki.

It’s bad enough having a complicated job, without unnecessary complications, in games.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So I just checked GW2legends, and according to their information, the cost of getting all the materials and precursors for both Twilight and Sunrise (I’m gonna go for Eternity, btw) is over 4000 f$#&ing gold. Am I reading this right? I mean, what if I craft the mats rather than buying them from the TP? Will it still be expensive? Cause, heck, if this is the case, then I’d rather just buy Eternity directly from the TP, as right now, it costs slightly less than crafting Sunrise and Twilight.

Jesus christ. Didn’t think it’d be this much. Guess I’ll need more than one paycheck <.<

But how much did it cost you guys? Assuming whomever replies has crafted Eternity, of course. Is it truly that expensive? Share your knowledge.

Here are the current costs if you placed buy orders for all of the materials.

Attachments:

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

I spent around 1600 for both Bifrost and Incinerator

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Not much. When i got desperate, i sold everything in my collections tab to pay for some of the more expensive things – silver doubloons and charged cores.

Maybe 500 gold per legendary on average. It could have cost me less, but impatience took over….

Avectius.3271

But wait a minute. Some of you said the mats required for a legendary aren’t purchasable through the TP, and that they can be farmed. But GW2Legends says they are.

Take a look at the page for Twilight, for example: http://www.gw2legends.net/Twilight

At the bottom it tells us the amount of gold we’d have to spend throughout the process would be slightly over 2000. Is this assuming we buy every mat off of the TP? What if we don’t and simply farm them? What would the gold amount be then? I don’t mind wasting time rather than money. My concern, however, is if most of the mats are time-gated.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

But wait a minute. Some of you said the mats required for a legendary aren’t purchasable through the TP, and that they can be farmed. But GW2Legends says they are.

Take a look at the page for Twilight, for example: http://www.gw2legends.net/Twilight

At the bottom it tells us the amount of gold we’d have to spend throughout the process would be slightly over 2000. Is this assuming we buy every mat off of the TP? What if we don’t and simply farm them? What would the gold amount be then? I don’t mind wasting time rather than money. My concern, however, is if most of the mats are time-gated.

Most of the mats required for making a legendary can be bought on the TP, farmed in open world, or bought with gold/karma from specific merchants. The only things you can’t buy on the TP are dungeon tokens (you need 500 of a specific dungeon’s currency to get a particular gift item), obsidian shards (either bought with karma/fractal relics or gotten as a drop from chests in Silverwastes and Dry Top), Gift of Battle (bought with 500 wvw badges of honor + 50 silver), and icy runestones (can only be purchased from one merchant for 1g per runestone). Everything else can be bought or farmed and then crafted into their respective gifts; and yes, you have to be the one to craft them, as the gifts are account bound on acquire.

If you want to know how much you’d save by farming everything that can be farmed, go to the link you shared above. Look at the total amount, and subtract the amounts for all of the mats (with the exception of the icy runestones).

Keep in mind that a large chunk of that cost will be that precursor, since the greatswords and staff have the most expensive precursors.

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

T6 mats are the second most expensive thing you need for legendary. Unfortunately, there is no efficient way of farming them, so you just do content for gold and buy them. By the time you get the gold, you’d have some T6 mats picked up from the farm.

Glorious Human Master Race

RoseofGilead.8907

T6 mats are the second most expensive thing you need for legendary. Unfortunately, there is no efficient way of farming them, so you just do content for gold and buy them. By the time you get the gold, you’d have some T6 mats picked up from the farm.

Saving up your laurels for a month or two, and then buying a ton of t6 bags helps a lot (and saves a lot of money).

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Most of the mats required for making a legendary can be bought on the TP, farmed in open world, or bought with gold/karma from specific merchants. The only things you can’t buy on the TP are dungeon tokens (you need 500 of a specific dungeon’s currency to get a particular gift item), obsidian shards (either bought with karma/fractal relics or gotten as a drop from chests in Silverwastes and Dry Top), Gift of Battle (bought with 500 wvw badges of honor + 50 silver), and icy runestones (can only be purchased from one merchant for 1g per runestone). Everything else can be bought or farmed and then crafted into their respective gifts; and yes, you have to be the one to craft them, as the gifts are account bound on acquire.

If you want to know how much you’d save by farming everything that can be farmed, go to the link you shared above. Look at the total amount, and subtract the amounts for all of the mats (with the exception of the icy runestones).

Keep in mind that a large chunk of that cost will be that precursor, since the greatswords and staff have the most expensive precursors.

Another gold purchase that is required for each legendary is the recipe for the corresponding gift that has to be crafted and isnt forged.

I think its 10g per recipe.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

RoseofGilead.8907

Another gold purchase that is required for each legendary is the recipe for the corresponding gift that has to be crafted and isnt forged.

I think its 10g per recipe.

Yup, forgot all about those. So yeah, you’ll need to factor in the cost for those.

Posted by: Burch.5732

Burch.5732

Wait for the new legendary system – the new ones will be more epic, since you have to earn it 100% – Many of the owner of the current legendary pay real money to obtain the precursor and devalue the prestige of have one.

Jana.6831

If you’re insanely lucky and find the precurser and are able to farm all T6 mats, you’ll spend 120 gold for twilight (other legendaries aren’t that easy as getting the mats required for them is far worse than T6 mats).
But you’ll need to do quite lot of farming in lvl 80 areas to get all the mats. I never really did that, but I assume you’ll need about half a year to get enough of everything.

In the end, if you just play the game you’ll get there eventually but if you “need a legendary really urgent” then you might be better off to just buy it. But with HoT there comes precurser crafting, maybe things will become easier/cheaper. Although I somehow guess that T6 mats will become a lot more expensive.

Wanze.8410

Wait for the new legendary system – the new ones will be more epic, since you have to earn it 100% – Many of the owner of the current legendary pay real money to obtain the precursor and devalue the prestige of have one.

Those precursors that people pay with real money for, werent created from thin air, they were already there. If that player didnt buy it, someone else would, so i dont think it makes much difference in the end in terms of prestige of the weapon, if someone bought it with gold or real cash.

Burch.5732

Those precursors that people pay with real money for, werent created from thin air, they were already there. If that player didnt buy it, someone else would, so i dont think it makes much difference in the end in terms of prestige of the weapon, if someone bought it with gold or real cash.

Anet is making this change for a reason – they do not want it to be just random luck or buying one on the TP – the new ones will be much more than luck and money.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

In three years of steady playing I have never seen a precursor drop. I ended up buying one because I wanted to make a legendary. I do not feel my legendary has any less ‘prestige’ because the precursor was bought. The prestige comes when you farm and work to get the mats and other items needed and put that legendary together. You know you did something there and there is a huge satisfaction when you put those final items into the Mystic Forge.

I just made my second legendary weapon totally farming the mats I needed. The first one I did a combination of farming, upgrading and buying mats as I went. I am very proud of both weapons and I really don’t care how others think I got the weapons. I know what I did and that is good enough for me.

The new legendary crafting system is exciting because it will be another way of adventuring but I don’t see that those will be any more epic than the current ones. Having one will just signify that someone has the dedication to see the process through to the end. It’s not about what you think others will think about you for having a legendary but what satisfaction you get from having it and using it no matter how you got it.

Burch.5732

I just saying that under the new system we will know how the legendary was acquired, I am not saying that many players did not work hard to earn the older legionaries, we just do not know. Many players do care what other players think and that is why they spend real money to buy one, others are just lucky and being lucky is a good thing.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The legendary costs nearly the same for everyone no matter if you farmed the materials or not. Nearly because of the difference in buy/sell orders and prices changes over the course of the game.

Actually farming the mats can even end up being more expensive opportunity cost and gold wise since instead of farming you could have farmed gold and gotten more materials in the same time. Luckily this is a game, and maximum efficiency does not equal maximum fun. Still, don’t delude yourself in believeing you saved any gold on the process, because all those farmed materials could have fetched a nice price on the TP.

RoseofGilead.8907

Precursor system, not Legendary system. The process of making a legendary will still require the same steps and mats. The only thing that’s changing is the precursor mastery tracks, and that the new ones will be account bound.*

Edit: * The process WILL change a bit, to be “more of a journey” like the precursor masteries.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Well, you simply have to keep in mind that whatever stuff you find on the road is considered acquired and therefore, it’s less gold for you to spend should you try to buy the materials.

I think I’ve spent something like 500g in total with the excessive farming and being fortunate enough to have met the Necromancer in WvW that had my Hunter in its loot bag. The last time I’ve looked at the final price of a legendary it was something like 2,3k gold but my weapon’s the Predator, greatsword legendaries tend to have much higher prices due to the rarity of some components + the fact it’s a greatsword.

Nowadays… I haven’t kept up with the prices, but seeing the final product being 4k doesn’t surprise me somehow, the price of some materials went rather crazy.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

(edited by MrForz.1953)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Anet is making this change for a reason – they do not want it to be just random luck or buying one on the TP – the new ones will be much more than luck and money.

That remains to be seen, at least the luck part.

Posted by: Mightybird.6034

Mightybird.6034

Better to just buy a legendary (currently, we’ll see with HoT) than go to all the trouble the doing the recipe. (IMO.)

OP what you don’t seem to get is that time = gold (or money.) So you say you can waste time but not money…but they are the same thing. If it takes you three months to make a legendary that is the same as ~3k gold or whatever if you’d been farming gold instead in silverwastes and dungeons and just bought it out right.

In real life its different since sometimes you are in circumstances where you are forced to have time (medical reasons or you are too young etc), or you do not have skills yet (i.e. a good education.) But in GW2 time literally equals money.

Farm gold or farm the mats. Same thing.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Better to just buy a legendary (currently, we’ll see with HoT) than go to all the trouble the doing the recipe. (IMO.)

Depends on the legendary.

Wanze.8410

Precursor system, not Legendary system. The process of making a legendary will still require the same steps and mats. The only thing that’s changing is the precursor mastery tracks, and that the new ones will be account bound.

Even though i dont think that they will adjust the forge recipes for the gifts for the old legendaries, i dont recall them explicitly saying that it will stay the same.

RoseofGilead.8907

Precursor system, not Legendary system. The process of making a legendary will still require the same steps and mats. The only thing that’s changing is the precursor mastery tracks, and that the new ones will be account bound.

Even though i dont think that they will adjust the forge recipes for the gifts for the old legendaries, i dont recall them explicitly saying that it will stay the same.

You’re right, I forgot that they did say this:

" The methods by which you’ll craft these legendary weapons are similar to the existing system, but we’ve refined it into more of a journey, similar to precursor crafting."

So, they’ll likely use the same mats, need crafting, yadda yadda yadda. But you’ll have to run around to get more stuff, it looks like.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I crafted eternity after two years and ten months of play. I wasnt trying to so thats why it took so long. I mainly play pvp but also heavily into skin wars 2 and since my twilight only fit my warrior and not my rangers nature theme, i just had to make sunrise. Then I got this crazy idea to sell eternity by just keeping the skins from the previous, only to regret it later so i ended up rebuying eternity on TP for 300 more gold. But i just had to get that glowing ball and fiery aura around my char.

And now i may main rev but they cant use GS so u win some n lose some

If i were u now id save the gold for legendary armor, as completing it after raids will have the same cost as 1 leg wep. There are also comming new leg weps and precursor crafting that may savor u some gold but in return cost time. Meanwhile keep farming sw chest runs and maybe a fractal 50 for rings to salvage for the new leg material.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

One reason it might be cheaper to buy Eternity than to craft it is that if you create Twilight and Sunrise, you can unlock their skins (account-binding them,) and then forge them into Eternity, which you can sell. You don’t end up with a legendary weapon or the Eternity skin, but you get Twilight and Sunrise skins, and you make back at least 3200g in the process. (Highest buy order: 3793, then take off 15% for TP fees)

With that money, you’re well on your way to making another legendary. You could probably buy any one-handed legendary with the profit, or save up another couple hundred and get whatever you want besides Eternity.

another way (which is better imo), is to craft Twilight and Sunrise and sell them both. Then you that money to buy an Eternity (which is less than Twilight + Sunrise). Then you end up with all 3 skins, and ~2000g.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well after 400+ gold for lodestones, 1100+ gold for T6 fine mats and dust, and 200 gold for Ectos it adds up even ignoring the precursor costs of 1700+ gold.

Anyways if you look at the price of Twilight and Sunrise individually at that site, combined is a lot less than what they list for Eternity . It’s dirt cheap to merge them. Plus they assume you aren’t willing to put in bids for the mats needed.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

The legendary costs nearly the same for everyone no matter if you farmed the materials or not. Nearly because of the difference in buy/sell orders and prices changes over the course of the game.

Actually farming the mats can even end up being more expensive opportunity cost and gold wise since instead of farming you could have farmed gold and gotten more materials in the same time. Luckily this is a game, and maximum efficiency does not equal maximum fun. Still, don’t delude yourself in believeing you saved any gold on the process, because all those farmed materials could have fetched a nice price on the TP.

In fact, there are really only a few cases where you wouldn’t be better just selling all the mats and buying the Legendary from the TP, and all of those cases are only the ‘top-end’ Legendaries. For all of about 6 ((?) I’ve been doing to much PvP this year XD), you’re better off just selling the mats and putting in a buy order. An ironic fact for all the “I’m so epic, I farmed my entire Legendary and saved a ton of gold!” players out there. Really, you probably lost gold and wasted a bunch of time.

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

I pulled Dawn from the forge, so I decided to go ahead and make Sunrise. It took me about five months, but because I gathered mats normally instead of dumping my gold on them I only had to buy the charged lodestones, the icy runestones, and the recipes, so it was pretty cheap all things considered.

All depends on how you want to get your legendary. They don’t have to be super expensive, but then they’ll take a long time to make.