Is event scaling broken?

Is event scaling broken?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Asuka Shikinami.5462

Asuka Shikinami.5462

Since the world boss ‘update’ a few patches ago, some of the scaling on world bosses seems broken. The more people you have, the harder it gets. Obviously this is somewhat intentional so it’s not a case of things becoming easy to kill when you have a lot of people, but the scaling seems totally off.

For example, I have seen shatterer fail on high population pve servers with 40+ people attacking; the timer literally runs out. Yet with 10 people, he’s easy. Maw gets more and more time consuming when more people turn up – it feels like the health scaling is grows by an exponent rather than a somewhat linear fashion. This makes many of the world bosses frustrating, as they just become a time grind. I remember Devon and Hugh saying they don’t want a buff in WVW that gives you a disadvantage if you outnumber your opponents, yet it feels this way in pve – the more people you have the more likely you are to fail events. Worse is when people are afk and the event scales as a result, so they people trying to do it are punished based on others being away.

This seems to mainly affect Golem, Wurm, Maw and Shatterer. Other world bosses are not so bad. I am not sure if this is intentional, but really question the design. Look at Fire Ele as a point of reference – it is difficult regardless of the numbers due to his knockdowns and condi damage. You have to stay aware of your surroundings, one mistake care really mess you up. Yet it isn’t overkill – you can recover, he doesn’t spam CC like the annoying wurm does, he doesn’t one shot once cc’d like golem now. More so, he doesn’t scale in such a crazy way that the difficulty is approximately the same regardless of how many people you have. If you afk, you die. If you stand there spamming auto attack, you die. Why are more bosses not like this?

Anet if you are reading this, I ask you to reconsider your boss mechanics as these are no longer enjoyable. Wishing there were less people around as it’s easy to kill something with 5 people instead of 30 doesn’t suit how you marketed or portray this game. It isn’t about farming or trying to maximise gold, it’s about being able to enjoy the more ‘epic’ events in the game, instead of wishing there were less people around so they didn’t make things needlessly time consuming.

Btw, Ulgoth and Maw have an issue when lots of people are around, their ‘wind’ summons do not render properly so you have to dodge an enemy you can’t properly see. This needs to be fixed.

Ty for reading.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink”
- John Smith

Is event scaling broken?

Posted by: Vaugh.7193

Vaugh.7193

It could be becouse of that condition build gets useless when there’s to many other condtion builds on the same boss.

So you end up with dead weight, beeing useless, and scaling boss to be even harder.

Guild leader of As Stars We Belong [STAR]
WvW Commander of Blacktide.
@RaugoolGW2 on Twitter

Is event scaling broken?

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Scaling works fine it’s just that most people like to go afk after tagging the boss thinking that the rest will finish it.

Is event scaling broken?

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

Now it is fine, for 1 kittening year the word bosses was too easy.

Some bosses are still to easy, you only need to DPS down, like the ice and fire shaman because the mechanics have low dps or are easy to avoid.

Is event scaling broken?

Posted by: Alerno.1425

Alerno.1425

In the tower I noticed that with 1-2 people the event bosses were Veteran’s, but add few people more and they became Champions.
Where is that new monster difficulty that is between Veteran and Champion (Elite).

Veteran on 1-2 people is super easy. Champ on three people is a bit harder.
Then they just keep on scaling upwards the hit points when more people show up.

How about not scaling the hit points upwards so much and giving the bosses more skills when he scales up. Some heals (that can be interrupted if done at right time), knockbacks and more large aoe damage rains.