Is everyone max level now days?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Reciprocity.8021

Reciprocity.8021

Q:

I’m back after leaving shortly after release. I have a level 17 toon and have been bouncing around to the different starting areas and they are all ghost towns. Is everyone just much higher level now or is Neverwinter a distraction from GW2 right now?

Posted by: Zeidrich.8435

Zeidrich.8435

A:

Metrica Province (Asura) – The Fire Elemental
Wayfarer Foothills (Norn) – The Frozen Maw
Queensdale (Human) – The Shadow Behemoth

These starter zones have significantly higher populations because of the meta-events that drop a boss chest at the end.

I don’t think the other ones, Plains of Ashford and Caledon Forest have events that drop a chest. Anet should include them to disperse the population more evenly, but that’s a discussion for another day.

“This above all: to thine own self be true.”
-William Shakespeare

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I tried Neverwinter for about 5 minutes. Wasn’t terribly aesthetically pleasing. I think I made it a few hundred feet.

But yes, most people are higher level. I think there are some servers, which you can guest on (no WvW) that have some lower level characters, maybe TC? You’d have to ask around.

There’s a great thread in PHP that aims to hook people up to play. You can’t miss it, it has a billion replies.

Edit: And at least on Emhry Bay, there’s always lots of people in Queensdale, but at 17, you are close to leaving there. Sadly there aren’t a lot of big ‘chest’ events in the 15-25 areas. That would go a long way to helping repopulate those areas.

Posted by: Aly.3429

Aly.3429

Likely depends on server and area. Seems like Queensdale is the only populated starter zone anymore.

Reciprocity.8021

So the population levels displayed in the server browser are bogus? they all say “very high”?

Or is that a metric of how many characters on those realms as opposed to actual current logins?

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

The population status is how many player accounts are on that server, not how many are online.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Tarnished Coast still has a very healthy lower-level population, because Roleplayers are more likely than most to get bit by the Altitis bug rather than focusing on a single character. I’ve got 16 characters myself, and currently an average character level just below 40, even though three of them are 80’s.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Not sure about the server pop levels, but I know whenever I’m doing events in lowbie zones there are usually newbys asking about different things on /map. Mostly Queensdale but Metrica and Wayfarer also to a lesser extent.
This probably varies server to server as Aly said.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Everyone is in the new dungeon today – you should give it a whirl!

Reciprocity.8021

Tarnished Coast still has a very healthy lower-level population, because Roleplayers are more likely than most to get bit by the Altitis bug rather than focusing on a single character. I’ve got 16 characters myself, and currently an average character level just below 40, even though three of them are 80’s.

Cool, I’ll try that server.

I’m a completionist.. so I want to do all group stuff along the way. =)

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Underworld is still highly populated.
As for all being level 80 – 5 of my toons are level 80 and 3 more are low levels. And I play a lot.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

As was said, try guesting on Tarnished Coast. All areas of the game are populated. Plenty of people leveling alts or simply new players. Your server will determine the quality of life in-game and there are several good ones. With guesting you can skip the pain if you can’t afford to transfer as long as you don’t care about WvW.

Reciprocity.8021

As was said, try guesting on Tarnished Coast. All areas of the game are populated. Plenty of people leveling alts or simply new players. Your server will determine the quality of life in-game and there are several good ones. With guesting you can skip the pain if you can’t afford to transfer as long as you don’t care about WvW.

I thought transfers were free? sigh

I won’t ever pay money to mitigate a poor game population. I played that game in Wow and spent nearly $2k over the years moving my toons around.

Never did understand why companies will charge people to try and stay interested in their game because their population management skills were lacking.

So I’m stuck where I am I guess, which means I’ll likely grow bored of solo play and move on. Brilliant business model.

Reciprocity.8021

As for all being level 80 – 5 of my toons are level 80 and 3 more are low levels. And I play a lot.

So if I rolled a new toon is Underworld my best bet? I’m not paying for a transfer… only level 17 so no sacrificing much time investment.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I have one Guardian at 80.
Out of all my other alts there’s a Ranger at maybe 50 or 53, I can’t remember.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Mirta.5029

So if I rolled a new toon is Underworld my best bet? I’m not paying for a transfer… only level 17 so no sacrificing much time investment.

Either Underworld or Tarnished Coast. I’ve never been to tarnished coast, though when I hosted on other very high pop servers to catch map events faster I’ve noticed that most very high pop servers are really populated.

Posted by: Bsahmay.8206

Bsahmay.8206

The population status is how many player accounts are on that server, not how many are online.

nope…. its how many are online…

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Metrica Province (Asura) – The Fire Elemental
Wayfarer Foothills (Norn) – The Frozen Maw
Queensdale (Human) – The Shadow Behemoth

These starter zones have significantly higher populations because of the meta-events that drop a boss chest at the end.

I don’t think the other ones, Plains of Ashford and Caledon Forest have events that drop a chest. Anet should include them to disperse the population more evenly, but that’s a discussion for another day.

Jungle wurm in Caledon Forest. Also 4 jumping puzzles which all have a chest.
I don’t think those big bosses help much. Sure they bring people to the map but their all at one tiny corner of the map. Most don’t even bother doing the pre-events!

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Reciprocity.8021

I won’t ever pay money to mitigate a poor game population. I played that game in Wow and spent nearly $2k over the years moving my toons around.

Never did understand why companies will charge people to try and stay interested in their game because their population management skills were lacking.

So I’m stuck where I am I guess, which means I’ll likely grow bored of solo play and move on. Brilliant business model.

It costs gems to transfer (typically around 1800). You can convert gold into gems (current rate is around 3 gold per 100 gems). Therefore you would need 3 × 18 (54 gold) to transfer servers. You can farm 54 gold within a few days casually, let alone easily in around 7-8 hours if you are hardcore at 80; all within the game (no need to spend real money). Not to mention, purchasing 1800 gems is fairly cheap when compared to $2,000 you allegedly spent on world of warcraft. There seems to be a bit of a gap in your potential claim here for a one time fix that apparently is ruining your $60.00 purchase.

Edit – I really don’t get why you would even bother complaining; you just said you spent $2,000 just to transfer characters and now $15 to fix (immediately) your leveling process is the end all for you? Stop trolling and go back to WoW.

Why did you even bother to respond like some socially challenged problem kiddie? Sounds like you need to go back to Wow.

As if I’m lying about spending 2k to impress some random tool who’s opinion holds absolutely zero value with me.

So let me draw this out in crayon for you since you don’t seem to grasp the concept. I’m at a point where I don’t feel like blowing that kind of money on a game any more. What part of that is so hard to understand, troll?

/facepalm

wait…

/doublefacepalm

Reciprocity.8021

For all the others, thx for the great advice.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

You’re in luck! You can “guest” on up to two servers every 24 hours and have access to everything there except WvWvW (to keep people from other servers from playing spy and sabotaging competing servers). You only have to pay if you want to transfer your “home” server to a different server for permanent access.

Posted by: Big Boss.9015

Big Boss.9015

I barely got back on yesterday after being offline since Halloween. I still don’t have 1 maxed character lol. Remade my 50 human warrior into a norn because… Well I don’t really have to explain that. Anyways, he looked like a pansy (human) and sure enough I come back and see the total makeover kit. Fml. Now I’m bouncing trying to decide who to max out…

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

My advice to you, OP, is to find a guild that has lots of players and find people to play with. The game is a million times more fun that way. And if you do get stuck, there are people to come help you out.

Many guilds work with lower level people, because it’s a good investment in their future player base.

Posted by: Insidious.3720

Insidious.3720

Just wanted to chime in, but most zones are pretty much ghost towns now. I’m on a very high pop realm and outside of LA, there’s kitten near no one. Even in LA, it isn’t that populated anymore. Call me a debbie downer or troll or w/e, but from in game experience, the majority of the zones are ghost towns. I came back about 2 weeks ago after leaving in Septemberish and you could hold conversations in any zone. Now, you can go 5+ hours without hearing another person. This includes saying hi or random things in the zone to get some convo going. I actually mentioned this in LA, got flamed from some people while others messaged me and voiced similar opinions.

Basically, find a server that has the most people as it will only continue to get larger while the other servers will eventually just die off from no population. It happens in every MMO, and it’s just the safe bet. Which server that is, well no one knows as those figures aren’t out there easily accessible. Sounding like perhaps Tarnished Coast, but then again that’s a top 5 wvwvw server. If not there, then one of the other 4 top 5 servers for wvwvw and you should be set with all the people you need. Eventually, most people will do the same thing.

Now, about joining a guild. Good luck. Guild’s aren’t spamming LA anymore looking for people, for the most part. Even then, it’s a crap shoot. Best off trying to join a pvp guild or whatnot to get social interaction, even if pvp isn’t your thing.

Or just wait until a new game comes out that is shinier than this one with more competent devs.

Mirta.5029

Just wanted to chime in, but most zones are pretty much ghost towns now. I’m on a very high pop realm and outside of LA, there’s kitten near no one. Even in LA, it isn’t that populated anymore. Call me a debbie downer or troll or w/e, but from in game experience, the majority of the zones are ghost towns. I came back about 2 weeks ago after leaving in Septemberish and you could hold conversations in any zone. Now, you can go 5+ hours without hearing another person. This includes saying hi or random things in the zone to get some convo going. I actually mentioned this in LA, got flamed from some people while others messaged me and voiced similar opinions.

Basically, find a server that has the most people as it will only continue to get larger while the other servers will eventually just die off from no population. It happens in every MMO, and it’s just the safe bet. Which server that is, well no one knows as those figures aren’t out there easily accessible. Sounding like perhaps Tarnished Coast, but then again that’s a top 5 wvwvw server. If not there, then one of the other 4 top 5 servers for wvwvw and you should be set with all the people you need. Eventually, most people will do the same thing.

Now, about joining a guild. Good luck. Guild’s aren’t spamming LA anymore looking for people, for the most part. Even then, it’s a crap shoot. Best off trying to join a pvp guild or whatnot to get social interaction, even if pvp isn’t your thing.

Or just wait until a new game comes out that is shinier than this one with more competent devs.

what server are you on? O_O
Also did you check wayfarer hills? Every month something new comes out. Rata sum was overpopulated last month, this month it’s the new dungeon in wayfarer hills.
Underworld has plenty of guild spam. I didn’t hear about pvp guilds being more social either.

tolunart.2095

Just wanted to chime in, but most zones are pretty much ghost towns now. I’m on a very high pop realm and outside of LA, there’s kitten near no one. Even in LA, it isn’t that populated anymore. Call me a debbie downer or troll or w/e, but from in game experience, the majority of the zones are ghost towns.

I’ll go with option 2.

I keep reading this stuff, and yet even when I log in at 3 am and roam around a bit, I see another player run by occasionally. During off-peak hours I usually see a small group when a DE triggers, and a large group during peak hours.

All these posts saying the game is deserted is hyperbolic at best and deliberately deceptive at worst. Anet has access to information such as how many users are logged into each server at once, and can probably tell how many are chatting in Lion’s Arch and how many are wandering each zone.

There are ways to encourage people to go out into the world, such as the Living Story taking place in Shiverpeaks/Ascalon zones, and dailies rotating among every zone. If certain zones really were being abandoned, they would take steps to encourage people to go back to them.

I firmly believe that claims such as this are deliberate attempts to misrepresent the state of the game and to chase away prospective players. Fortunately the vast majority of players, new and old, are – surprise! – logged into and playing the game, and not reading these messages.

Posted by: docMed.7692

docMed.7692

It costs gems to transfer (typically around 1800). You can convert gold into gems (current rate is around 3 gold per 100 gems). Therefore you would need 3 × 18 (54 gold) to transfer servers. You can farm 54 gold within a few days casually, let alone easily in around 7-8 hours if you are hardcore at 80; all within the game (no need to spend real money). Not to mention, purchasing 1800 gems is fairly cheap when compared to $2,000 you allegedly spent on world of warcraft. There seems to be a bit of a gap in your potential claim here for a one time fix that apparently is ruining your $60.00 purchase.

Edit – I really don’t get why you would even bother complaining; you just said you spent $2,000 just to transfer characters and now $15 to fix (immediately) your leveling process is the end all for you? Stop trolling and go back to WoW.

Why did you even bother to respond like some socially challenged problem kiddie? Sounds like you need to go back to Wow.

As if I’m lying about spending 2k to impress some random tool who’s opinion holds absolutely zero value with me.

So let me draw this out in crayon for you since you don’t seem to grasp the concept. I’m at a point where I don’t feel like blowing that kind of money on a game any more. What part of that is so hard to understand, troll?

/facepalm

wait…

/doublefacepalm

Who said you’re lying? Allegedly means just that, potential to be truth or not; I would call you a liar if I felt it was the truth. I spend lots of money on gaming too, it’s not uncommon. Your post has hints of backhanded comments towards the communities and the brief experience you’ve had with this game. I would hardly consider my post trolling nor do I have any interest to ever return to WoW. Good luck.

Insidious.3720

Just wanted to chime in, but most zones are pretty much ghost towns now. I’m on a very high pop realm and outside of LA, there’s kitten near no one. Even in LA, it isn’t that populated anymore. Call me a debbie downer or troll or w/e, but from in game experience, the majority of the zones are ghost towns.

I’ll go with option 2.

I keep reading this stuff, and yet even when I log in at 3 am and roam around a bit, I see another player run by occasionally. During off-peak hours I usually see a small group when a DE triggers, and a large group during peak hours.

All these posts saying the game is deserted is hyperbolic at best and deliberately deceptive at worst. Anet has access to information such as how many users are logged into each server at once, and can probably tell how many are chatting in Lion’s Arch and how many are wandering each zone.

There are ways to encourage people to go out into the world, such as the Living Story taking place in Shiverpeaks/Ascalon zones, and dailies rotating among every zone. If certain zones really were being abandoned, they would take steps to encourage people to go back to them.

I firmly believe that claims such as this are deliberate attempts to misrepresent the state of the game and to chase away prospective players. Fortunately the vast majority of players, new and old, are – surprise! – logged into and playing the game, and not reading these messages.

So, based on your own personal experiences everyone else who has a different opinion are deliberately attempting to subvert future players from playing the game?

Outside of dailies or other areas that players are “encouraged” to go to, how often do you run into people in the world? I’ve been lvling through the 40s-60s and it’s been quiet and I quite honestly hardly run into other players. Why would I, or anyone else, attempt to misrepresent the game as you claim. You have your opinion, and after reading it, I think you’re full of it, but hey that’s just my opinion. Games die out, or dwindle out, as time goes on. The only mmo to avoid this fate was WoW and that in itself is amazing.

It’s great there are players at lvl 80 doing dailies or w/e else anet encourages them to do, but lvling up is what it takes to get there. Let me ask you, if you were lvling up and hardly saw anyone, what would you think? I play on Sorrow’s Furnace (just remembered), but am planning on xferring off to one of the top 5 servers for wvwvw in order to run into more people. It’s just the nature of the beast.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

i have 3 max levels but I hardly play them since no one has any interest in doing what I wish to do in this game

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Mirta.5029

I’ll go with option 2.

So, based on your own personal experiences everyone else who has a different opinion are deliberately attempting to subvert future players from playing the game?

Outside of dailies or other areas that players are “encouraged” to go to, how often do you run into people in the world? I’ve been lvling through the 40s-60s and it’s been quiet and I quite honestly hardly run into other players. Why would I, or anyone else, attempt to misrepresent the game as you claim. You have your opinion, and after reading it, I think you’re full of it, but hey that’s just my opinion. Games die out, or dwindle out, as time goes on. The only mmo to avoid this fate was WoW and that in itself is amazing.

It’s great there are players at lvl 80 doing dailies or w/e else anet encourages them to do, but lvling up is what it takes to get there. Let me ask you, if you were lvling up and hardly saw anyone, what would you think? I play on Sorrow’s Furnace (just remembered), but am planning on xferring off to one of the top 5 servers for wvwvw in order to run into more people. It’s just the nature of the beast.

that’s why I asked what server are you on.
1. Guild Wars 2 maps are 4X Warcraft’s.
2. How often do you hit people in other MMOs?
3. I’m still able to run past 5 to 15 people in level 30-40 and 40-50 zones in half an hour when there’s no events around. Now how many maps do we have? How many cities? How many dungeons? How many events are going off while I’m quietly leveling? How many people do you think are online if I’m able to find people in the most unpopular zones?

Insidious.3720

that’s why I asked what server are you on.
1. Guild Wars 2 maps are 4X Warcraft’s.
2. How often do you hit people in other MMOs?
3. I’m still able to run past 5 to 15 people in level 30-40 and 40-50 zones in half an hour when there’s no events around. Now how many maps do we have? How many cities? How many dungeons? How many events are going off while I’m quietly leveling? How many people do you think are online if I’m able to find people in the most unpopular zones?

1. What proof do you have of this? The barrens, hyjal, or anything else that has been recently added would like to have a word with you.
2. Pretty much the same, but those mmos are more spread out. Also, the server I was on in those other games, when low pop, hardly had anyone. High pop servers are the way to go.
3. Again. Server. Top 5-6 www server will have far more people than those at the bottom or even mids.

Posted by: r z.7261

r z.7261

I’m back after leaving shortly after release. I have a level 17 toon and have been bouncing around to the different starting areas and they are all ghost towns. Is everyone just much higher level now or is Neverwinter a distraction from GW2 right now?

Takes like a day or 2 to get max level in GW2, so I guess the answer is — yes.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

What is the community consensus on whether or not there are enough incentives and rewards for players to dedicate their endgame farming time on running around the open world? Things seemed to have gotten better since the FoTM was introduced, but I don’t play anymore, so I don’t really have any first hand experience.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

What is the community consensus on whether or not there are enough incentives and rewards for players to dedicate their endgame farming time on running around the open world? Things seemed to have gotten better since the FoTM was introduced, but I don’t play anymore, so I don’t really have any first hand experience.

A lot of people who play Guild Wars 2 don’t actually play for rewards. A lot of people, of course, do. The people who do play for rewards will only be in certain zones at certain places, waiting for certain events (the Maw, the dragons, the great Wurm, etc). The rest of the world will be ignored by those people.

Then there are people like the people in my guild who play the game for fun and care less about the rewards. There are people in my guild who never do dungeons or PvP of any kind. All they have is the world. I promise you they don’t stand around Orr all day.

People like me, I like the world. I’m all over the world.

And let’s not forget there are also guild missions happening in the world, too, which add to some world traffic…but not at off peak hours generally.

tolunart.2095

My own personal experience directly contradicts the claims of people who say the game is a ghost town. Whatever game they’re talking about, they say the same thing in every MMO except, presumably WoW, but if I ever read the forums there I suspect their servers are supposed to be empty too.

So, yeah, I don’t believe it because I’ve seen with my own eyes that their claims are bogus. If I can see your dog watering my leg, don’t try to tell me it’s just the rain.

(edited by tolunart.2095)