Is guild wars 2 dead?

Is guild wars 2 dead?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Interwebster.7518

Interwebster.7518

I hopped on today after a 2 month or so break from the game. I was curious about the new dungeon and wanted to try it out. I arrived in Lions Arch only to find it was for the most part, completely empty. I checked a few more places and also heart of the mists. Do people just not play this game anymore? Or am I missing something?

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I think you are missing something. The game is far, far from dead. Which server do you play on and have you thought about the time as well?

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Scourge.4317

Scourge.4317

No its not dead. Why do people even post these kinds of threads. The servers are still online and people are still playing so no its not.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Interwebster.7518

I was on Fort Aspenwood, but I switched over to Sea of Sorrows to check. And maybe you are right. It is 6:29 where I live, but quite possible people are still at work in other time zones. Maybe I’ll check back when dailies reset? I was just a little sad because i was surprised to see the worlds so empty.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Urthwyte.6875

Urthwyte.6875

The server you might be on might have less than most servers, but overall the game is alive and well. Free server transfers are in effect until Jan 28 so transfer while you can, and they raised the server cap so you can get in higher populated servers.

Level 80 Elementalist and Guardian

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

The game isn’t dead, but server list will direct you to the wrong servers. An arenanet poster confirmed that the stats you see on the server list (high, full, etc) are the number of players who call that server home, NOT the number logged in at the time. So even if your particular shard says high or full, that particular one could be dead as a door nail. Watch the forums to find which are more lively.

Also keep in mind everyone is in LA and running fractals. There is no real reason to do open world stuff ATM so don’t expect to find many people out there,

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Interwebster.7518

What do you think is the most populated server?

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Interwebster.7518

Fractals was what i wanted to try out, but I only found one other person wanted to group up, and we just gave up.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Tarnished Coast by far.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: CorruptedSave.2570

CorruptedSave.2570

Fractals was what i wanted to try out, but I only found one other person wanted to group up, and we just gave up.

Your best bet for finding fractal groups is by using gw2lfg.com. Quick and easy until they add the new LFG tool.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Your best bet for finding fractal groups is by using gw2lfg.com. Quick and easy until they add the new LFG tool.

second this. I type once in map chat lfg or glf, then I post on gw2lfg.com. It’s the bestest. Also keep in mind that most times you enter LA you will be in an overflow server.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Schixeno.8596

Schixeno.8596

Well, I’m running around in the Norn starting area and I can’t really spend more than 20 seconds without seeing other people. I just did the Frozen Maw quest (and this is only the starting level 1-15) with 10-20 other people, so no, this game is far from dead.

But then again, somebody above me mentioned that Tarnished Coast is the most highly populated (don’t know if it’s true), so I’m not too sure how the other servers are doing.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Busting at the seams on Sanctum of Rall.

But you can send me your stuff anyway

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

The game isnt dead not yet at least. They made some horrific design choices without thinking through the consequences.
Maybe you werent on the overflow as that is one of the best ways to get a group together.

Add that to the mass player exodus you have what feels like a dead game. I think they sold a lot of copies but have a poor retention rate. As of right now there is only 1 place to get loot and gear so no one goes anywhere else. Add in the incredible grind and people just decide to move on since they cant get rewards for playing the way they want. The devs have also lost a lot of credibility over the past few months and that has also had a chilling effect.

I cant tell you if people will return because who knows but none of my original friends and guildies are in game.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Yep, Tarnished Coast is alive and well. The key is to keep trying to transfer to the “Full” server of your choice. Apparently it will be free to transfer until 1/28.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Lechtrixx.1053

Lechtrixx.1053

I can speculate on this a bit …
you come into an area after a while to discover it’s devoid of “players” …
Perhaps it was formerly infested with bots who were finally banned.

Dru Windshadow: Human: Ranger lvl 80
San Twocut: Human Thief lvl 80
Djorn Wolfson: Norn Guardian lvl 80

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

Stormbluff Isle is active in WvW. I see lots of players in beginner and mid level maps too. However, I think Straits of Devastation is current dead =/ Lion’s Arch being the most lively outside WvW.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: demonwing.5843

demonwing.5843

Literally have never gone to Lion’s Gate without being put in the overflow.
Ever.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I think you may be used to the old school type MMOs which have quest hubs with players gathered around those hubs. Due to the dynamic nature of GW2 it works much differently.

I can be standing in an area and it looks deserted, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Kvyub.jpg

Ten minutes later an event spawns and all kitten breaks loose:

http://i.imgur.com/fm9ZE.jpg

After the event everyone dissapates to whatever they were doing before the event and it looks just as deserted as it did before the event.

Go to any of the large meta events with the big chests. You will see tons of people.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Yep, ArenaNet sold their three million units and are packing it up. The servers go down next week, and development on GW3 will commence shortly. Suggestions for new classes, anyone? I’ve really got my hopes up for a Mathemagician.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Tarnished Coast by far.

I never have problems bumping into people on Tarnished Coast. People just keep crawling out of the woodwork; if you’re claustrophobic you may want to choose another server.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

The servers go down next week, and development on GW3 will commence shortly. Suggestions for new classes, anyone? I’ve really got my hopes up for a Mathemagician.

The story line for humans will be alternated to, Math circus, and compose of games from the game.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

I just read the title of this post and laughed my head off. Well, Guild Wars 2 dying is a “hope” for some people. =b I understand the jealousy that is going around. Happens all the time. See you guys in the game.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

lol… yeah..same here.. i really wonder where did the OP get the idea that GW2 is dead.. perhaps he went to an an overflow and see less people… well the thing is, if you get to the overflow when you port to LA, the game is faaaarrrr from dead….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

The reason you don’t see anyone is because gw2 has ps2 character rendering… everyone is invisible 1 meter from you.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I was on Fort Aspenwood, but I switched over to Sea of Sorrows to check. And maybe you are right. It is 6:29 where I live, but quite possible people are still at work in other time zones. Maybe I’ll check back when dailies reset? I was just a little sad because i was surprised to see the worlds so empty.

I am sure that at 6.30 on a thursday people are either still in bed, or on their way to school or work. Doesnt mean the game is dead, it means people have lives :p

Try again in the evening

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I am sure that at 6.30 on a thursday people are either still in bed, or on their way to school or work. Doesnt mean the game is dead, it means people have lives :p

Try again in the evening

I am sorry but this isnt a solo game this is a mmo. If there cant be sufficient people on at all times of the day to fulfill whatever type of game experience you want there is something very very very wrong.
Do I even need to remind you a few months ago plinx at 4am had 15 people or that WvW and night capping as a 24/7 game?

Take the rose coloured glasses off and see the real picture.
Yes Please TRY AGAIN I SAY.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Come on down to Desolation and bask in the glory of multiple Lion Arch overflows filled with LFG/LFM and DE karma trains, both in high and low level areas. With the coming addition of e.g. achievement tokens which can buy asc gear etc. I’m betting on an even brighter future.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Straylight.7408

Straylight.7408

The game isn’t dead, but server list will direct you to the wrong servers. An arenanet poster confirmed that the stats you see on the server list (high, full, etc) are the number of players who call that server home, NOT the number logged in at the time. So even if your particular shard says high or full, that particular one could be dead as a door nail. Watch the forums to find which are more lively.

Also keep in mind everyone is in LA and running fractals. There is no real reason to do open world stuff ATM so don’t expect to find many people out there,

This is actually incorrect but I don’t blame you for posting that. The arenanet poster (who was actually just a CC-Community Coordinator) answered in such a misleading way that people started to believe that the serverlist reflects the people who call that server home but in fact it IS the number of people who’re currently logged in. People logging on and off is the only way to explain the daily fluctuations of server-statuses.

To the OP: no, the game is not dead.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Try again in the evening

I am sorry but this isnt a solo game this is a mmo. If there cant be sufficient people on at all times of the day to fulfill whatever type of game experience you want there is something very very very wrong.
Do I even need to remind you a few months ago plinx at 4am had 15 people or that WvW and night capping as a 24/7 game?

In that case I have always played dead games, because there have always been times when you could not find enough people to do everything you wanted to do, while in other times the servers were crowded.

I had great fun in several of them and so I guess it doesn’t matter if a game is alive at your standards.^^

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Joote.4081

Joote.4081

I really don’t understand. Where ever I go in the game, it is swarming with other players. And I’m suppose to be on a low population server.

Far, far from dead. Doesn’t even have a runny nose.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Try again in the evening

In that case I have always played dead games, because there have always been times when you could not find enough people to do everything you wanted to do, while in other times the servers were crowded.

I had great fun in several of them and so I guess it doesn’t matter if a game is alive at your standards.^^

True. By his standard, WoW is dead too, because last time I played, I did not run into any players (well, maybe one or two) in the starting area. And that was in the evening.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Ingway.5106

Ingway.5106

I’ve been away for like 2 months… so i can’t really tell.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I think I know why you think the server is dead. Because the server is always on overflow. I just checked sea of sorrow. I dont’ see many people in LA too. But the weird thing is there is an overflow if you try to enter LA in sea of sorrow.

I think the reason is because FOTM. In order to do it, there have to be an overflow. So I think it is Anet way of helping us ocienic player to do FOTM. I can never do fotm before at off time because there isn’t any overflow. I’m starting to see overflow now at off time. I think it is just some adjustment Anet did so people can do fractal.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Raging Bull.5048

Raging Bull.5048

For me and my friends it is.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I hopped on today after a 2 month or so break from the game. I was curious about the new dungeon and wanted to try it out. I arrived in Lions Arch only to find it was for the most part, completely empty. I checked a few more places and also heart of the mists. Do people just not play this game anymore? Or am I missing something?

LA was dead? Always in overflow for LA. Always. Regardless when I log in. Always overflow.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

I’m dead, typing this from the grave.

Graveyard’s pretty full, so I’m in Overflow.

Behold: Opinions!

Is guild wars 2 dead?

laokoko.7403

LA was dead? Always in overflow for LA. Always. Regardless when I log in. Always overflow.

ya I think that’s the problem. Everyone is in overflow. I think they twitched the system so people can do fotm. So even if your server isn’t full, you’ll still login overflow.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

ya I think that’s the problem. Everyone is in overflow. I think they twitched the system so people can do fotm. So even if your server isn’t full, you’ll still login overflow.

Thats interesting. I hadn’t thought about that. But I don’t think its necessarily true and I should correct my original post. I do get into my server without overflow sometimes. Logged in this morning before work and was in. On weekends, 8am I am in. Pretty much from 10am EST and on is overflow city.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Alana.3268

Alana.3268

What lion’s arch are you in? Everytime I go to LIons Arch I am pushed into an overflow.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

laokoko.7403

What lion’s arch are you in? Everytime I go to LIons Arch I am pushed into an overflow.

he says sea of sorrow. The most populated server. I’m in sea of sorrow now. It have overflow 24/7.

Like he said sea of sorrow really dont’ have that many people in LA at 7:00am. But the thing is, it still have overflow. So most likely people are just in overflow so he don’t see any people.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Valoiz.9857

Valoiz.9857

Try again in the evening

Really? …. only if we had a big population of chinese and rusians at the NA servers u could ask for that but… no…. people sleep u know? Players in this game are usually 18+ so they have jobs and college… and we all in America have similar time zones…. so u will never find a lot of player betewn 3-7 am….

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Zabanov.6743

Zabanov.6743

For me and my friends it is.

Same here, all my friends and guildmembers started to leave slowly one by one. and most left after the lost shores. And by winters day basicly everyone was gone. Short after that me and the handfull of friends and guildmembers also left.

I occasionally log on to see if someone is online but the guild and friendslist are a necropolis.

Now before you all start flaming and saying that I pull stuff out of my kitten Relax if you enjoy the game fine by me. But in the time when I played quite frequently, the areas felt really dead and no I didnt play in the middle of the night. It was a real pain in the kitten to find a group for SE for example. And judging by forum topics and ingame chat, alot of people switched servers because they feld their own server felt dead.

Now you could say that your server is fine and that you see a lot people. But in my opinion a mmo this young should not have these issues. And it should definitely not have people asking questions like is this game dead? Or, where is everyone?

And I think GW2 is currently treading a slippery road. I tink it is make or break for the game with the upcoming large updates. If they screw that up a bit its over.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Its become a lot quieter this past month.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

I have seen a massive decline since release, followed by a spike at Christmas and now it’s following the same trend of decline.

I know ANet is working hard, but they just aren’t listening to the community enough in some areas.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

The game can look dead very easily. Last night in Lions Arch at prime time, it looked completly empty. I could not see 1 single other player in the entire map, not one. The chat on the other hand, was very active. If I came within a few feet of another player, they actually appeard! I don’t know if it’s my graphic settings, or a bug in the game itself, but other players do not show for me unless I am right on top of them, and even then, it seems to take a few seconds for them to slowly fade in to view. If I was away for awhile, logged back in and saw that? I would assume the game was dead as well.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Wobbles.6408

Wobbles.6408

Yeah it’s quieter but I still see plenty of people in the world. I know some irl friends that are coming back and alot of old guildes from other games, as long Anet keep to their promise with the new gear progression.

They came to this game because their was no gated content. Since Lost shores they just raged and left. They couldn’t be bothered with another WoW or Rift style gated content.

I believe what Zabanov said “I think GW2 is currently treading a slippery road. I tink it is make or break for the game with the upcoming large updates. If they screw that up a bit its over.”

(edited by Wobbles.6408)

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Wobbles.6408

Wobbles.6408

The game can look dead very easily. Last night in Lions Arch at prime time, it looked completly empty. I could not see 1 single other player in the entire map, not one. The chat on the other hand, was very active. If I came within a few feet of another player, they actually appeard! I don’t know if it’s my graphic settings, or a bug in the game itself, but other players do not show for me unless I am right on top of them, and even then, it seems to take a few seconds for them to slowly fade in to view. If I was away for awhile, logged back in and saw that? I would assume the game was dead as well.

That’s a bug I am sure WvW players have been crying out to get fixed. Think thats in the January Update to get fixed

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

DEAD?! If you go to “World selection” you will every server are “highly populated” or “Very high” and alot are full… You should check before making threads like this

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

DEAD?! If you go to “World selection” you will every server are “highly populated” or “Very high” and alot are full… You should check before making threads like this

Yes that’s right, so where are all the people on these “so say” highly populated servers.

Cos I can’t find them, no events are getting done, nobodies in Orr, DE’s fizzle out, can’t even find anybody to do a dungeon with.

Beats me !

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.