Is guild wars 2 dead?

Is guild wars 2 dead?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

OP, it’s not the game, it’s the server you’re on who is dead.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Wobbles.6408

Wobbles.6408

DEAD?! If you go to “World selection” you will every server are “highly populated” or “Very high” and alot are full… You should check before making threads like this

That ain’t a status of Active players. Thats for how many accounts their is on that Home World.

For example say the Home worlds could only hold 10,000 accounts then it would be full.
The status would change to full, but out of the 10,000 there might only be 500 players active. Again thats just an example. I got no idea what the real numbers are

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Bradesco.9621

Bradesco.9621

I hopped on today after a 2 month or so break from the game. I was curious about the new dungeon and wanted to try it out. I arrived in Lions Arch only to find it was for the most part, completely empty. I checked a few more places and also heart of the mists. Do people just not play this game anymore? Or am I missing something?

I thought the samething, but it can be easily solved by getting into a better server.

I left a “empty one” and como to an EU server.

So, keep looking.

My server is good, good PvP, good dungeon, good Orr.

Desolation

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

DEAD?! If you go to “World selection” you will every server are “highly populated” or “Very high” and alot are full… You should check before making threads like this

That ain’t a status of Active players. Thats for how many accounts their is on that Home World.

For example say the Home worlds could only hold 10,000 accounts then it would be full.
The status would change to full, but out of the 10,000 there might only be 500 players active. Again thats just an example. I got no idea what the real numbers are

That is not true. ANET said that was the number of Active Player connected in that moments.. thats why some servers goes from High-Full in non primetime hours…

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

Servers have their Prime Time hours. Research a server that has players on at the same time you are on. It’ll be easier once the guesting feature is put into effect.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

You might have thought Lions Arch was empty but in reality it is just culling all of the players. They are there, you just can’t see them until you get close.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Ath.2531

Ath.2531

The logic of the OP:
“I went to the park in my neighborhood and there were no squirrels. Is the squirrel species extinct from planet earth?”

Also, Posts with the title “is the game dead?” should be followed with an infraction and immediate lock. It’s not even funny anymore.

Commander Athrael ThunderBorn
GM of Crew of Misfits (CoM)
Piken Square, EU

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

The game isn’t dead, but server list will direct you to the wrong servers. An arenanet poster confirmed that the stats you see on the server list (high, full, etc) are the number of players who call that server home, NOT the number logged in at the time. So even if your particular shard says high or full, that particular one could be dead as a door nail. Watch the forums to find which are more lively.

Also keep in mind everyone is in LA and running fractals. There is no real reason to do open world stuff ATM so don’t expect to find many people out there,

This is actually incorrect but I don’t blame you for posting that. The arenanet poster (who was actually just a CC-Community Coordinator) answered in such a misleading way that people started to believe that the serverlist reflects the people who call that server home but in fact it IS the number of people who’re currently logged in. People logging on and off is the only way to explain the daily fluctuations of server-statuses.

Can you post a source? As much as I would like to believe that, we have an arena net poster who directly contradicts that statement.

As for the fluctuations- server transfers still exist, and it is no secret that people are making use of them as much as possible. Transfers to and from servers are happening constantly. So even based on the factual reality that server lists are based on characters present in the server regardless of whether they are logged in or not, the fluctuations are still explainable and expected.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Alipius.4783

Alipius.4783

The game isn’t dead, but server list will direct you to the wrong servers. An arenanet poster confirmed that the stats you see on the server list (high, full, etc) are the number of players who call that server home, NOT the number logged in at the time. So even if your particular shard says high or full, that particular one could be dead as a door nail. Watch the forums to find which are more lively.

Also keep in mind everyone is in LA and running fractals. There is no real reason to do open world stuff ATM so don’t expect to find many people out there,

This is actually incorrect but I don’t blame you for posting that. The arenanet poster (who was actually just a CC-Community Coordinator) answered in such a misleading way that people started to believe that the serverlist reflects the people who call that server home but in fact it IS the number of people who’re currently logged in. People logging on and off is the only way to explain the daily fluctuations of server-statuses.

Can you post a source? As much as I would like to believe that, we have an arena net poster who directly contradicts that statement.

As for the fluctuations- server transfers still exist, and it is no secret that people are making use of them as much as possible. Transfers to and from servers are happening constantly. So even based on the factual reality that server lists are based on characters present in the server regardless of whether they are logged in or not, the fluctuations are still explainable and expected.

Yes, tired to hear the same lame argument from people…
They say it again 6 days ago, but I assume it was wrong…
http://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Full-Permanent/first#post1186552

There is one good thing about gw2. I play gw1 again.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Straylight.7408

Straylight.7408

There is no source. It’s just common sense.
There are only two possible explanations why servers fluctuate from very high to high and back on a daily basis.
1) people are creating new accounts every evening and delete them 12 hours later every day
2) people simply go to bed

Yes, tired to hear the same lame argument from people…
They say it again 6 days ago, but I assume it was wrong…
http://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Server-Full-Permanent/first#post1186552

Yes, thanks for that link.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

In a game with such sales figures and a healthy population, why on earth is such a thread even on page 1, let alone top spot, in the official game forums?!?!

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

“Sometimes I wish I were dead. No wait. Not me. You.”

~Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

The game certainly isn’t dead for me…and the many people I play with and kill in WvW every night would seem to support the fact that the game is very much alive.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: kanikani.2430

kanikani.2430

In a game with such sales figures and a healthy population, why on earth is such a thread even on page 1, let alone top spot, in the official game forums?!?!

Because its a real problem and the truth. If anyone here played during the beta or during release they would see a huge difference in the ‘fullness’ of the world. If people need to go to a specific server to feel ‘full’ then they need to merge servers, and I have to say it is very early for such a big ‘amazing’ game like this to have to merge servers. If any of you are actually suggesting that the population is more then beta/release, then you are just a liar. And if population is declining over time/bad retention rates, then yes it is dieing. And game losing numbers over time is classified as dieing to me.

Perhaps it just needs to shed numbers till it reaches its magic number of population where it can stagnate for a while. I think this is most likely the case, and I do think there will always be people playing it. But its boom days are gone and they will need to merge servers and it will settle, but it will never be like it was initially.

Ishionna (80 Ele)
Maguuma

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

Because its a real problem and the truth. If anyone here played during the beta or during release they would see a huge difference in the ‘fullness’ of the world. If people need to go to a specific server to feel ‘full’ then they need to merge servers, and I have to say it is very early for such a big ‘amazing’ game like this to have to merge servers. If any of you are actually suggesting that the population is more then beta/release, then you are just a liar. And if population is declining over time/bad retention rates, then yes it is dieing. And game losing numbers over time is classified as dieing to me.

Perhaps it just needs to shed numbers till it reaches its magic number of population where it can stagnate for a while. I think this is most likely the case, and I do think there will always be people playing it. But its boom days are gone and they will need to merge servers and it will settle, but it will never be like it was initially.

the beta was full because all started from level 1. It is normal to see the starting zones full in launch.

People disperse. Many people in WvWvW, many people doing dungeons. LA always falls on Overflow, and that means there are people.

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

So even Wow is also dying because there isn’t as much population as the beginning… Weird classification of a dying game.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Interwebster.7518

Interwebster.7518

Okay I think i need to clarify since some people in this thread seem to be angry. I wasn’t trying to bash guild wars or troll, i was just curious why i wasn’t seeing anyone. Thanks to that lfggw2 website I have been able to try out the new dungeon. So thanks everyone that helped! ^.^

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Zabanov.6743

Zabanov.6743

So even Wow is also dying because there isn’t as much population as the beginning… Weird classification of a dying game.

pardon my language and no offense, but really sherlock? wow is dying? well that’s about time after almost a decade.

The fact is people are worried, the maps feel dead, people are transfering to other servers because their own server feels dead. Now if this was a mmo that was two or more years old this would have been understandable. But given the age of GW2 this should not be happening. And the fact that more and more people are saying that maps feel dead should raise warning signs. its normal for a mmo to die of at a certain point. But its just the signs that GW2 is giving of are worrisome.

The best solution to solve this discussion is when Anet would release numbers of player activity troughout release. If those numbers show that the playerbase has barely declined well then I guess people were right that the game is not dying.

But like I said before GW2 is treading a slippery road. So we will just have to wait for the upcoming updates will bring to GW2

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

Guild Wars 2 (and any game trying to break the market to be honest) will be eternally treading a slippery road until there is nothing left to compare it to.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

They’re adding stuff to spread population to old areas, but for the most part people are in fractals/dungeons/wvw… and occasionally working on an alt. If you can’t find a party for dungeon use the gw2lfg dungeon finder website… I don’t know if we can link it here but it’s well known and very useful.

And finally is it dead? Um… no. I play every day with the most active guild and friendliest wvw pop yet. Not to mention the game is updated all the time.

That said I will say… was it better to roll your first character at launch? You better believe it because people are on their 80s now an don’t have to level anything else to play with you if they don’t feel like it. But as I said they’re actively looking to add new systems to fill out old content. Read the blog.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: electricblues.1059

electricblues.1059

I think this guy is simply trolling you guys. I am from Sea of Sorrows (the server the op is on) and I see people looking for fractals groups at every time of the day. 4 am on the east coast and there are still people typing “lfg xx lvl fotm”. The game is in no way close to dead. Though I don’t see enough people in the rest of the world, I haven’t logged into Lions Arch and not been in an overflow since fractals came out.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Interwebster.7518

Interwebster.7518

I think this guy is simply trolling you guys. I am from Sea of Sorrows (the server the op is on) and I see people looking for fractals groups at every time of the day. 4 am on the east coast and there are still people typing “lfg xx lvl fotm”. The game is in no way close to dead. Though I don’t see enough people in the rest of the world, I haven’t logged into Lions Arch and not been in an overflow since fractals came out.

replying to a thread you didn’t even read….

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: jwburks.9735

jwburks.9735

I am on Tarnished Coast. A lot of people seem to be in denial that the population is way down from what it used to be. For the most part I will see maybe 3 people on any map. Lion’s Arch was booming during the Wintersday event, but it’s back to being nearly empty again. I see RPers in Queensdale a lot, if that’s your thing.

We heard . . . we listened . . . we ignored.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Gorwe.9672

Gorwe.9672

To me, YES! No Engineer/Ranger talk tonight. No nothing. Meh I can’t waste my time on GW2. There are better games anyhow!

Not to mention that Piken is basically dead. So I have next to NO reason to play.

And to use funny quote: “Meh, this game is poopy.”

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: etiolate.9185

etiolate.9185

Every time I log into Stormbluff Isle, I get put into Lion’s Arch overflow. The only time this doesn’t happen is like right before the crack of dawn.

Zed Zebes – SBI Mesmer

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Schixeno.8596

Schixeno.8596

Guys, please stop bumping and let this thread die already (and if you’re planning to say that I just bumped it, well I only bumped it from second from the top) because it’s simply silly. Whether or not the population is declining, the game is FARRRRR from dead and that’s the bottom line.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Negrul.5423

Negrul.5423

I don’t think this game is doing well, not sure about being completely “dead” but it does lack certain features that all successful MMO games today have.

Proper Dungeon Finder is needed.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: autoduck.2837

autoduck.2837

This game is going to be dead when the AoE nerf comes into place. Say goodbye to all you elementalist, necro and engi friends now because you wont see them again in the future.

Kaineng 11/2012-04/2013
Sanctum of Rall 04/2013-

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Literally have never gone to Lion’s Gate without being put in the overflow.
Ever.

This^
Lion’s Arch on Sanctum of Rall is always full

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

This game is going to be dead when the AoE nerf comes into place. Say goodbye to all you elementalist, necro and engi friends now because you wont see them again in the future.

Nah, engineers are so used to being given the short end of the stick, I think they would probably all quit out of paranoia if a patch actually buffed something about them as opposed to nerfing them. We start to wonder what’s wrong if we haven’t seen an engi nerf in the past 2-3 weeks.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Tons of people playing and loving it, tons of people complaing on the forum it’s “dead”.

Both of these facts prove it isn’t.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Joe.1394

Joe.1394

Going to dead, since A Net have no clue to balancing the game, all they did is Nerf, and now you see the joke’s AOE Nerf coming soon.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

Honestly, we are well off compared to other games. PlanetSide 2 JUST launched and the game is literally a ghost town. In the early morning there are maybe 10-20 people on a single continent that is meant to hold TWO THOUSAND players. And PS2 is free so it really says something.

Your server might have a small population but you can always transfer. They are free until the end of the month. Tarnished Coast has a pretty healthy population in my opinion.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Bloodchild.2680

Bloodchild.2680

The server populations certainly are lower than they were previously. A lot of people just didn’t stick around, they enjoyed the game but it wasn’t their cup of tea for a long run. That said, there are plenty of guilds who are thriving and doing quite well, and time of day always has to be factored in. It used to be the case though that going into various areas would fill your screen with a myriad of characters 24/7, now running through those same areas you may not see a single other player.

Is the game dead though? No, by no means is it ‘dead’.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: SharDarksoul.3024

SharDarksoul.3024

Piken Square is very much alive.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: SharDarksoul.3024

SharDarksoul.3024

The server populations certainly are lower than they were previously. A lot of people just didn’t stick around, they enjoyed the game but it wasn’t their cup of tea for a long run. That said, there are plenty of guilds who are thriving and doing quite well, and time of day always has to be factored in. It used to be the case though that going into various areas would fill your screen with a myriad of characters 24/7, now running through those same areas you may not see a single other player.

Is the game dead though? No, by no means is it ‘dead’.

The population will go up and down according to whenever new content is released. GW2 is not a subscription based game, so you can come back whenever you feel like it, and most people are probably playing this game on that basis.

As for this forum, there are too many haters and doomprophets posting here to take it very seriously.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

There is no source. It’s just common sense.
There are only two possible explanations why servers fluctuate from very high to high and back on a daily basis.
1) people are creating new accounts every evening and delete them 12 hours later every day
2) people simply go to bed

On top of that. If it was actually Accounts number. Then it wouldn’t be possible for servers to go from all being full at first few weeks to some of them to being full right now.

All that said. The Game is not even close to being dead.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Negrul.5423

Negrul.5423

The population will go up and down

In this case however, the population seems to be heading only downwards.

Proper Dungeon Finder is needed.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

The population will go up and down

In this case however, the population seems to be heading only downwards.

Nice thread necro…anything to push your views, especially prior to an update.

Concurrent users holding steady (increasing, if you believe the ANet devs). The problem is getting people out into the world.

They will take the first step towards rectifying that tomorrow. If GW2 is dying…then only WoW is alive.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

Yea the game is weird. It isn’t really dying just players aren’t playing and i guess well it doesn’t retain players for a long periods of time.

Everyone I know has quit this game and said they’ll reinstall or come back to it in about 6-1 years time to check if anything new is added. Because GW2 is B2P people can just jop in and out when they like leaving the game feeling dead when there is nothing to keep people playing.

The game will be like this people leaving for months (im on a 3 month haitus) then coming back for events or content updates then leaving again. No one can deny the game has a lost a significant amount of it’s players over the last couple of months, if these players come back no one knows.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

TC seems to be bouncing back from its post-holiday slump. It’s not launch numbers in non-fractal areas, sure, but there seem to be a good amount of new characters, or alts, in earlier zones; harathi’s busy most of the day, etc.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

I am on Tarnished Coast. A lot of people seem to be in denial that the population is way down from what it used to be. For the most part I will see maybe 3 people on any map. Lion’s Arch was booming during the Wintersday event, but it’s back to being nearly empty again. I see RPers in Queensdale a lot, if that’s your thing.

Hahaahhahah. Dude dude you got to be kidding im a TC player and im always geting kicked to overflow i. TC and when i do make it home its packed.

Granted culling makes it seem empty as all hell unless you stand in one area for a min or 2

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Yeah. DR is in overflow tonight, LA always is.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: metaverse.6821

metaverse.6821

I too am on Tarnished Coast and pfft, that server is FAR from dead. You still see huge groups zerging events.

Edit:
I just laughed that someone said this server is dead. I think certain areas are dead like certain mid-level areas and that is more of a problem of the game. If Anet can successfully get people back out of there and out of dungeon grinding again I think we’ll all see a much lively place.

(edited by metaverse.6821)

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

people always saying lions arch is in overflow…thats cause of FOTM and the entire server population is in LA only….just cause LA is overflow does not mean the server is alive and booming. It just means LA has most the population on it and the rest of the world is deserted.

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

Nope guild wars 2 cant die, it only becomes the Risen. Side note why do people check 1 map, on 1 server, and then assume a game is dead? I havent been able to go to LA without being put in overflow…ever…Heck lil over a week ago I got shoved into overflow on TC/ Divinity Reach…That was a wth moment lol.

Far from dead. Most players either group via guilds or use GW2LFG.com

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Source: www.gw2lfg.com > European part
Timeframe: last 2 minutes, it is currently 12:00 GMT+1
Result: 20 groups looking for more.

Anyone who used the website knows any group order is filled within 5 minutes, even the more rare ones.

Conclusion: game is anything but dead. At ten dungeon groups being formed per minute, at 12;00 in Europe, I would consider it extremely healthy.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I also feel that about 90% of the original population has left. I was on a virtually dead server after being away for 3 months. No events ever being done, hardly ever met anyone anywhere, no map chat whatsoever, no commanders around in WvW, no queues for WvW even at prime hours etc.

That’s a server issue, other servers, like Gandara, are packed full with people, map chat is full, events are always gathering people, always meet new people, and the queues in WvW are looooong. Also, any link showing that 90% that left? At least my guild has more people than ever, and most of the people that I started with, are still playing, so my experience is completely different to yours, if anything, the game is growing strong.

So I transferred to a supposedly more active server (before they start stealing money from you to transfer) and it’s a little bit better. That is to say: there are a few people in LA that are using the chat. However, events are still virtually unpopulated and you still meet virtually nobody anywhere in the world.

Then you didn’t pick an active server… or played at odd hours.

I think the population of GW2 is vanishing very quickly. Sadly, no body at Anet really cares because there is no subscription fee to lose and thus no reason to try and keep people hooked (it’s probably even considered an advantage if most people quit because then they can consolidate all the servers and save on operating costs – they’ve already completely done away with all kinds of support or GMs except billing support (to facilitate people giving them money for horrendously overpriced gems) so it’s not like they’re aiming at building a long-term loyal player base like WOW and other “traditional MMOs” used to have).

Yes, that’s why they are introducing new ways of gettign the best gear by playing the game the way you want. That’s why they are strengthening their open world, with new content and revised encounters… Obviously they don’t care. /sarcasm

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Amen.2630

Amen.2630

impossible to do group events
thats all what i have to say

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

The game is doing fine…however, most people are doing instanced content.

As they roll out more incentives to explore the outer world, that will change.

impossible to do group events
thats all what i have to say

See the above. And also, ask guild members to help out and ping events on the map.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Is guild wars 2 dead?

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Gosh how I am tired of seeing people ask this question…
Short answer: No. Long Answer: It really isn’t.

Polka will never die