Is it fun? The biggest lie of 2012 in gaming.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: miserybusiness.3718

miserybusiness.3718

I found myself impressed when I read about GW2…. when I read that devs asked themselves, “Is it fun?”

I find myself asking myself this question as I do dungeons, or fractals. The answer is always no.

It isn’t because i’ve done them so many times they’ve become stale. It’s because they simply make me feel like i’m being punished.

Even when I am having a, personally, successful run – I can’t help but look at team members who’re going down all the time… or are just generally confused as to what
the heck they’re supposed to be doing – and realize they aren’t having fun.

I hate to say it – because I love Guild Wars – but I really doubt that i’m going to be able to stick it out for another month with dungeons being as punishing as they are.

Sure, you can load up teamspeak and have an elite little guild party. Not everyone plays like that. I actually like being able to have PUGs. That’s what made Guild Wars so awesome. You could always count on a pug to finish a daily bounty or daily mission in GW1.

In Gw2 – you’re lucky to even find enough players for a dungeon aside from AC… and even if you do… you’re bound to die 10,000 times in the process of trying something like TA. Unless you can exploit the dungeon, you aren’t going to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I have to agree sadly , i am currently playing new characters the story and hearts and map completion is whats keeps me playing , the dungeons feel like you have to exploit to even complete them they are definatly not fun , nearly every boss consists of range/kite tactic or get face planted , add the fact they have 10 million hp . The dungeons in gw1 was superb i dont know whats happened

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Dungeons were not intended for everyone. They were designed for coordinated teams with thought-out builds. As it is, the dungeons are not, apparently, as hard as some of those groups would prefer. This leads me to think that dungeon difficulty was tempered a bit to allow greater accessibility. The best solution for this dichotomy in my opinion would be for two modes, a “normal mode” easier than the current state of the dungeons, and a “hard mode” harder than the current state.

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

Well im having fun in the dungeons and if they are so punishing then all the loads and loads of folks standing outside ac everyday getting ready to go in must be real suckers for punishment. Common now they are not that hard and its rewarding enough aswell. You can make quiet a bit of gold running dungeons.

Posted by: Halagaz.6085

Halagaz.6085

I don’t think you got it guys, dungeons are high end pve content, yes they are challenging, and hard to do properly and efficiently, that’s the point, they were designed to be that way. Ye that can be frustrating for sure, but you can’t really have something "hard to do without that either you know, it’s just a game, so this is the self safe by itself, you can always stop playing and watch a movie.

I’m sorry but some people do like them, and if you manage to gather a good party you won’t die 10zillion time, in fact you won’t die anymore. And about exploit, ye sure people always come up with great reasons to excuse the crap they are doing, we are all doing it, it’s natural, it doesn’t mean it have any kind of value though. Usually when you do some kitten, and we all do some, and want to keep your ego a good image, well think about a great excuse, but you know keep it for yourself and move on, don’t be a smart kitten thinking other will swallow your kittenty excuse, just say “sorry” or shut the f*off, and move on… They should learn that in school to kids honestly, basic psychology 101.

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

here’s the idea, fun is subjective for each person, so you have no right to call it a lie.

Am i having fun, hell yes.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

i’m playing and having fun (almost always)
i have only 1 character and a lot of things to do … i play more or less 4/6 hours a day.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: omerk.2709

omerk.2709

I’m having fun as well.
If it wasn’t, I’d quit.

If I fail to dodge every time Kohler pulls me near, I ask myself what am I doing wrong, not the devs.
In fact, I’m pretty sure the devs agree that failing the same thing over and over isn’t fun.

If you fall down, try a different approach and it works, it is fun.

I mostly encounter groups in which at least one knows what to do and has the patience to guide the rest of the group through it.
When people listen, it’s faster and more fun, when people don’t know what to do, it’s no fun.

The only time I encountered an “impossible” battle was the first golem of SE explore mode path 1, due to the tons of adds spawning, and the group not having enough dps to down them quick enough, and not enough survivability to sustain such high damage.

We reset, and went to path 3, which was way easier.
I’ll get back there in 2-3 exotics.

Posted by: Andovar Edoras.2143

Andovar Edoras.2143

I only play each dungeon like once, just to enjoy the story, i care nothing about loot or such things, i just go and have fun

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

We’ll I do have some issues here and there about GW2, I wouldn’t say its not “fun”. I had a blast playing with friends, leveling my first 80. There isn’t a game to date that lasts forever in entertainment…of course after your 3rd or 4th max character, and 50th dungeon run things begin to get stale, and you have to ask yourself do you want to play less? Find different things to try and do? Or find another game to play till additional content is released.

Coming on forums 4-5 months after release going “games no fun no more guys, Anet sucks” doesn’t really do much. It doesn’t provide any feedback for players or the company, and it doesn’t solve your issue where as you’re not having fun.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I dont like dungeons, I dont like the stressful environment, I dont like mob skipping, I dont like excessive dying, I dont like forced builds, I dont like standing around explaining mechanics, I dont like waiting to find a group, I dont like playing at other peoples paces........

I have found a solution

I do not do dungeons, perhaps this would work for you.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

A lie is only a lie when the person giving the information knows it is wrong. You personally don’t believe it is fun, I think it is fun, the ones who wrote it think it is fun. It is no where near a lie.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Loved the fractals, just don’t have time to do 2h+ dungeon to make the next level. Just doing 1 of the 3 mini-dungeons is not worth the effort (and so not level). Its not even possible because people will get upset when you don’t stay for all 3 times needed to level.

If you don’t have fun then don’t do it. You don’t pay subscription, come back when they deliver content you do like. Like new content where Trahearne gets killed.

(edited by beren.6048)

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Are you kidding me? You guys are doing 10% of the content the game has to offer, and you are telling me that you get bored, well duh. I can play GW2 for 24 hours straight and NOT get bored, you always have something to do. You are NOT locked in 1 zone to farm/grind for a material or something. You basically get anything from everywhere. Have you tried WvW? sPvP? I’m not going to ask for tournament pvp because it’s mainly teams there and I dont have one and I end up with a PuG vs team, you can imagine

I was denying WvW until few weeks ago tbh. I was doing dungeons, fractals, exploring, achievements and stuff. But one day I decided to give WvW more time. Landed in an small but awesome WvW guild that manages to pull 2-3 parties sometimes, and it’s a blast. Defending stuff with 5 vs 20 with just some siege, and then having those 20 call their friends, trying to outzerg and outsmart you. It’s really a blast. The only downfall is the repair bills, BUT you earn so much from anything else, you don’t care about repair bill.

So yeah, in retrospect, just because you don’t know how to have fun, doesn’t mean that the game is not fun. Please stop spreading false rumours.

Posted by: alcedonia.7831

alcedonia.7831

The only thing you need in dungeons is the ability to read. The other thing you need is at least half a brain. But if you can read, that covers it.

Every pug group i’ve seen has the party leader asking ‘has everyone done this before?’

The problem is that new players are embarrassed to say they haven’t. So they either lie and say yes. Or they keep quiet. And then screw everything up because they have no idea what to do.

Every big fight can be described in three short sentences or less. You don’t have to be rocket scientists to know not to stand in red circles. Or not melee the boss if you don’t know what he does.

Yet this kind of brain dead behavior is what i encounter in pugs. Which could have been easily prevented if they had just admitted they were new to the instance. When i started dungeon runs, i did them in pugs. I always admitted i didnt know anything. Not once was i kicked. And if i didn’t understand something i always asked. Most people are happy to answer.

Posted by: FLFW.3105

FLFW.3105

Are you kidding me? You guys are doing 10% of the content the game has to offer, and you are telling me that you get bored, well duh. I can play GW2 for 24 hours straight and NOT get bored, you always have something to do. You are NOT locked in 1 zone to farm/grind for a material or something. You basically get anything from everywhere. Have you tried WvW? sPvP? I’m not going to ask for tournament pvp because it’s mainly teams there and I dont have one and I end up with a PuG vs team, you can imagine

I was denying WvW until few weeks ago tbh. I was doing dungeons, fractals, exploring, achievements and stuff. But one day I decided to give WvW more time. Landed in an small but awesome WvW guild that manages to pull 2-3 parties sometimes, and it’s a blast. Defending stuff with 5 vs 20 with just some siege, and then having those 20 call their friends, trying to outzerg and outsmart you. It’s really a blast. The only downfall is the repair bills, BUT you earn so much from anything else, you don’t care about repair bill.

So yeah, in retrospect, just because you don’t know how to have fun, doesn’t mean that the game is not fun. Please stop spreading false rumours.

This. Everyone keeps doing two same dungeons and then complain that they are becoming boring..

HINT : Do something else !

GuildWars 2 is good game with bad management.

Posted by: Draaky.2436

Draaky.2436

I’m having fun to and i have kinda the same problems as u it takes ages finding a group. And if u want to do map completion or just running around in orr is becoming boring not fun, why? well because your alone every player is in high dif. of Fractals. Maps are almost empty, same as other dungeons. Still need 500 CoE tokems Q_Q.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

It is a little sad that they tell you how to play the game and what is fun.
Truth is Anet have made some changes and a lot of people are not having fun and simply left (50% of the pop).
They have nerfed loot to the ground and forced you into dungeons just to earn money and to grind on ascend items. In hopes of driving gem sales.

If you arent having fun take a break is really all I can offer at this point. Hope that anet decides to make changes that suit your play style so you come back.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Orr is full now. Every day at even off peak they are clearing temples. Have not seen so many cleared temples in months actually.

Posted by: Mandrax.7342

Mandrax.7342

It’s fun for me. I like challenges. I like hard content. I don’t want faceroll dungeons a la WoW. I want to wipe when errors are made. I want to feel that if I’m not at my best, things can go wrong. In other games you can more or less afk whilst running dungeons, or at the very least slack off and do the minimum possible to get through it. I’m glad this game takes a different approach to dungeons.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

The secret to dungeons is team work, pugs are a bit trickier in this regard cause since players dont know each other they are less inclined to take risks for you. When I run dungeons with my guild I very rarely die once. In pugs I would say I average 2 or 3 deaths in a run.

There is a lot of different reasons for this but primarily I think its because strangers are likely to focus on excelling, dealing as much damage as possible. If they see a weak link they dont focus in ensuring their survival like a group of friends would. But in any case if you’re really dieing so much I would take a moment and consider your own play style.

Are you going all out DPS? Are you charging in biting more then you can chew while your team might be more cautious leaving you to deal with the bulk of the enemy assault? Its important to keep yourself alive, that involves more then healing yourself an dodging. Depending on the situation you have to interrupt, blind, remove your own conditions but anyhow you played gw1 so I am sure you’re familiar with the concepts, dont make the mistake of thinking that combat in gw2 is any less complex then gw1, most of the concepts still apply.

Like others have said though dont feel you have to play any particular content. Dungeons might reward more but essentially dont really need the reward so its okey to play content you enjoy even if it might reward less. The game is fun if you play it for the fun. The game will get boring if you threat it like a job.

I too agree with others, they didnt lie the game is fun, there is a lot to do and most of it is done really really well. The attention to detail is unparallel in this game.

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

I am having a tremendous amount of fun with over 900 hours of playtime clocked.

It’s laughable you call it a lie. It’s an opinion. But of course, you needed a sensationalist title to make your post all-the-more factual.

To drill down further, I find dungeons a lot of fun and I enjoy the challenge. Touche!

Posted by: Draaky.2436

Draaky.2436

Back to the gemstore some1 mentioned.
Anet makes changes in the prizes of items ..
So please Anet lower the dam Gold → Gem rate!

@Yargesh its true that some ppl still do orr but not like all the time like it was first.
@Narkosys Yeah i hate it to that the drop rate was nerfed this hard! I to am 1 of the people who doesn’t get a rare anny more in open world map. only 1 or more rare if im lucky at fractals.

I used full MF on all my gear (even back item pre and suffix) and still get crap.
Even the amount of drops gets worse..

The DR(diminish return) This system was made to stop bots from farming. But now that almost all the bots are gone after Anets nice patch why is this system still here?

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

This game is good !

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Has anyone caught up on the dungeons forum yet? Perhaps this is why only 2 dungeons are what everyone wants to run, because none of the others will work properly.

The only thing you need in dungeons is the ability to read. The other thing you need is at least half a brain. But if you can read, that covers it.

Every pug group i’ve seen has the party leader asking ‘has everyone done this before?’

The problem is that new players are embarrassed to say they haven’t. So they either lie and say yes. Or they keep quiet. And then screw everything up because they have no idea what to do.

Every big fight can be described in three short sentences or less. You don’t have to be rocket scientists to know not to stand in red circles. Or not melee the boss if you don’t know what he does.

Yet this kind of brain dead behavior is what i encounter in pugs. Which could have been easily prevented if they had just admitted they were new to the instance. When i started dungeon runs, i did them in pugs. I always admitted i didnt know anything. Not once was i kicked. And if i didn’t understand something i always asked. Most people are happy to answer.

Everyone has a fear of being kicked by some elitist in the group and getting called a dumb scrub or a noob. I’ve seen it happen, it’s demoralising for the rest of the team if they don’t have that much more experience. I’ve seen dictator-style direction through dungeons and it really doesn’t work that well if the person leading the way through doesn’t have the patience for the rest of the group. As such, no one wants to own up to not having done a dungeon before, because they don’t want to be the reason that the group fails. They feel like a failure if that’s the case, and it promotes more negativity for the content which is supposed to be fun. Yes it’s challenging content, but we’re let into dungeons at L30 so we can get some exposure to the difficulty (which I believe is amped up a little too much for most casual groups). We all got to learn sometime, if we can’t get into a group, make some mistakes and learn from them, have a few laughs about it at the end… then what fun is there?

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

This is definitely a fundamental problem… people have been deluded into thinking they’re having fun, just because they’re not looking for a healer or because they are using “SKILL!!!!!” in combat…. and in the end, it’s very punishing as you say.

There may be a few who enjoy it genuinely, but my gut is that many people are going through the paces and will drop over time. As has been happening already, if you look at the numbers of course.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

It’s fun for me. I like challenges. I like hard content. I don’t want faceroll dungeons a la WoW. I want to wipe when errors are made. I want to feel that if I’m not at my best, things can go wrong. In other games you can more or less afk whilst running dungeons, or at the very least slack off and do the minimum possible to get through it. I’m glad this game takes a different approach to dungeons.

Every gamer likes challenges and difficult content… but the way it’s presented here is un-fun, as the OP indicated.

Posted by: Konfuzfanten.6503

Konfuzfanten.6503

Love the dungeons, you got story mode for pugs/undergeared ppl and exp mode for ppl that are more organized.

I play with in a casual/social guild, a lot of guys in my guild is still working towards getting full exotic, running all kinds of random builds and we still melee 95% of all bosses in all dungeons. Yes we always use ventrilo(voice comm) and a lot of my guildies(inc me) plays heavy classes.

So no you dont need a have that and that gear set or class combo to do dungeons in GW2, but you do have to have ppl that 1) know how to dodge 2) can recognize charge up attacks from bosses.

Commander of Blade and Quill[BaQ]
Aurora Glade <3

Posted by: Ruby Red.4019

Ruby Red.4019

So much fun that it’s hard to find a group that doesn’t want to skip as much of every dungeon as is humanly possible.

There’s a serious lack of diversion in the boss mechanics too. Playing with guildies is not always an option my guild that had been around in GW1 for 5+years have all up and left so for me to join another would be much the same experience as running with pugs.

Posted by: Konfuzfanten.6503

Konfuzfanten.6503

So much fun that it’s hard to find a group that doesn’t want to skip as much of every dungeon as is humanly possible.

The devs could pretty easy remove mob skipping: make a coin/gold mob in every trash group. My groups only skip silver trash that doesnt drop anything useful/coin.

There’s a serious lack of diversion in the boss mechanics too. Playing with guildies is not always an option my guild that had been around in GW1 for 5+years have all up and left so for me to join another would be much the same experience as running with pugs.

I never get this, so your guild is dead/dying but you wont go to a new guild because then you have to socialize with new people. Yes the first run with a new guild would properly be a bit puggish, but the next run should be a lot smoother.

Commander of Blade and Quill[BaQ]
Aurora Glade <3

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Threads created for the sake of complaining are against our Code of Conduct, as they don’t provide any meaningful feedback to the community, and do not invite to healthy and constructive discussions.

Thank you for your understanding.