Is it impossible to fail a mission?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DistantStatic.6098

DistantStatic.6098

Quite honestly, is it impossible to fail a mission? It just seems respawn and fight until you break your armor and then respawn and fight till you finally give up. Giving up, it seems, it the only way you can fail a mission. What’s the fun in that? that takes no skill, it’s just mindlessly throwing yourself against your enemies until you get bored. Is there any mission that can actually fail?

lvl80 Guardian lvl80 Ranger lvl80 Elementalist lvl80 Thief …. Why do I list these anymore?
Toyota Car Dealers [TCD]

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Well you could potentially end up in an unwinnable situation, where you fail just because you can’t WIN.

Which is better than having to start the entire mission over just because a plot-critical NPC died five feet from the finish line.

Effing Rurik…

Posted by: Tyrindor.5049

Tyrindor.5049

Not that I know of…

Beats GW1, spending 3 hours just to have an NPC die and fail the mission.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

Not that I know of…

Beats GW1, spending 3 hours just to have an NPC die and fail the mission.

Like I just said.

Or did we say that at the same time?

Does that mean you owe me a soda now?

Posted by: DistantStatic.6098

DistantStatic.6098

Well whats the point of the mission being anything more than cinematics? Why not it be that if you die, the mission is over? There’s other ways of going about it. Such as maintaining an area under your control for a certain amount of time. If it isn’t yours then you fail the mission. I mean there has to be some kind of way to lose or it’s just not fun. You are just mindlessly throwing yourself at the enemy until they are dead.

lvl80 Guardian lvl80 Ranger lvl80 Elementalist lvl80 Thief …. Why do I list these anymore?
Toyota Car Dealers [TCD]

Posted by: BlueFeather.9012

BlueFeather.9012

Is death penalty working? I’ve done many personal story missions and a lot of times i ended up naked but still manage to finish it. There is a message that I have DP but i never noticed my HP getting lowered because of DP.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I failed a mission, cannot remember which and why. But I don´t see your problem as a big issue. those storyline missions are, well, mainly for the story and they bring you to new areas somewhat related to your character level. overall they are such a little part (in terms of gaming time, I sure like to see the story) that I don´t see the need for big adjustments here.

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

I dont mind this so much because it lets missions be harder (yes harder not easier)

Because you can try again, monsters can be more challenging, without the player feeling discouraged. You can also attempt several different strategies if your first doesnt work.

I know at one story quest I was facing a queen destroyer. She kept noming me to death over and over because my original strategy didnt work, and now I had to keep trying new ones. To be able to jump right back into the boss fight, rather than deal with all the shenanigans before hand (and there were plenty. Whoever designed destroyer crabs needs to double check those hitboxes. Something 2ft tall with pincers an inch long should not be able to hit me when im 4ft infront of it…)

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

If throwing yourself at enemies bothers you that much, why not restart the whole mission when you die? I mean, it gives you the option to when you die… so if that’s what you prefer, why don’t you use it?

Is death penalty working? I’ve done many personal story missions and a lot of times i ended up naked but still manage to finish it. There is a message that I have DP but i never noticed my HP getting lowered because of DP.

Death penalty means you start with less HP next time you get downed. If you got downed 3 times within a minute, the next time you are instantly defeated.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?