Is it ok to be racist in the terms of lore?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jesse.1975

jesse.1975

So yes, ive been wondering this for a while and now im wondering, is it ok to be racist in the game as in human not liking charr/asura/norn/sylvari just in lore mind. I, my self am a lore rat and enjoy all the lore there are. So if i meet another race lore rat and we start to discuss is it ok to be racist since its just a game and happens ingame world. Since for example humans and charrs dont like each other? This is not a serious thread but just wondering

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

ive been hating on charr in map chat for a while now .

Remember folks Flame Ash Iron Blood must fall Charr are evil kill them all

(edited by Adine.2184)

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Well in terms of characters, I feel like my Norn is a little racist. There’s Norn, and then there’s … everything else.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

My Asura looks down on everyone (including other Asura sometimes) and will make it known to chat from time to time. My other characters are more friendly, although my Humans still blame the Charr whenever an event fails.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

My Asura looks down on everyone (including other Asura sometimes) and will make it known to chat from time to time. My other characters are more friendly, although my Humans still blame the Charr whenever an event fails.

Because I’m a norn, I look down on you.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: jesse.1975

jesse.1975

Yeah but is it ok for me to be ingame racist, as in if i would hate charrs with my human character. I mean it makes the lore richer. But still racism is wrong and can be mirrored to real life racism. But it makes the game quite different in the terms of lore and since we are in the internet, people can be easily offended but can they be offended in charr-human racism?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Only if they are very, very sensitive. We are playing in another world and outlook. What’s the point if we just paste on our own cultural norms?

Imo as long as you don’t say the -player- sucks for playing the race your character hates, it enriches the world. Keep ooc communication going so they know it’s specific to the character, don’t use the in game race as an excuse to grief on a meta level, and you should be good.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Conversation in guild chat yesterday:

Quicks (who is an Asura): Yeah, I’ve been sick the last couple of days, so I haven’t been on…
Me: You know, Sai’s almost done with his pharmacy school, he’s like practically a doctor!
Sai: I don’t treat animals.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

those are not races, but species. Real life racism ascribes negative traits to ethnic heritage that are not divided along these ethnic lines. Between species, that is totally different. For all we know, Charr, humans or whatever actually could be really stupid compared to asuran standard.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

those are not races, but species. Real life racism ascribes negative traits to ethnic heritage that are not divided along these ethnic lines. Between species, that is totally different. For all we know, Charr, humans or whatever actually could be really stupid compared to asuran standard.

We do know that they are. Asura are the most intelligent race in all of Tyria. Every time there’s been a threat, there’s been an Asura there to analyze the situation and save the day for those races who just couldn’t comprehend it. Fractals gate was invented by an Asura; Asura Gates…duh, it’s in the name; Tixx’s flying toy factory is Asura tech; the laser used to help defeat Tequatl is also Asura based. So, there you have it.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

We do know that they are. Asura are the most intelligent race in all of Tyria. Every time there’s been a threat, there’s been an Asura there to analyze the situation and save the day for those races who just couldn’t comprehend it. Fractals gate was invented by an Asura; Asura Gates…duh, it’s in the name; Tixx’s flying toy factory is Asura tech; the laser used to help defeat Tequatl is also Asura based. So, there you have it.

yes, and? Is there a point or did you just have to antagonize someone to vent?

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

ah whatever, just rangers need not apply.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Because I’m a norn, I look down on you.

Everyone looks down on asura.

I made one angry thinking he was a new backpack from the blt. Turns out i was wrong. Didnt matter, at least there was a new test subject for the cattlepult.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Asura are the most intelligent race in all of Tyria.

Nuh uh. Skritt are! Get enough of them together and no problem is insurmountable! No question unanswerable! No mystery unsolvable! Fortunately for the other ‘races’ of Tyria, the Skritt also possess an inherent wisdom that prevents them from congregating in numbers vast enough to allow their group intellect to expand into universal awareness of everything everywhere, for such would bring about the end of all things as they would seek – and find! – the Shiny of Shinies!

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

They didnt figure out how to defeat the great destroyer ( that was Gwen ) , they didnt defeat the dragons last time they rose , they wern’t even around to take out the Lich Abbadon or Shiro and humanity fared just fine . I’m just saying

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Haha it’s okay with me. Most of my characters are either pretty nice, or equally evil to everyone, but I do have this one charr. Nastiest human-hater you’ll ever meet—she’s practically a Renegade. And then there’s Raigra… when Raigra gets drunk, she’ll be racist at everything that moves

Posted by: Dindin.2378

Dindin.2378

charr took my juuub

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

As always, it depends on context. If someone reports you for being offensive, and Arena.net reps decide that it is, you’re toast.

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

charr took my juuub

The humans took our land.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

For me, asura could be a back item. I feel so much hate toward rats

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

Of course it is. I have no Charr characters, all my humans are Ascalonian in origin, and I would happily engage in some payback genocide. Anet doesn’t help with directly contradicting established lore saying Ascalon was originally Charr land. Hint: it wasn’t, it belonged to the Forgotten.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

If you aren’t being racist against Charr then you aren’t playing Guild wars right.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Quicks (who is an Asura): Yeah, I’ve been sick the last couple of days, so I haven’t been on…
Me: You know, Sai’s almost done with his pharmacy school, he’s like practically a doctor!

Luckily Asura aren’t animals
They are the master race, if they are animals the other races would be Amoeba.

charr took my juuub

Charr stole it from the Forgotten, your point?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

charr took my juuub

Actually, Asurans are all related to Dobby the House Elf…I think they have a sock fetish as well.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

charr took my juuub

Actually, Asurans are all related to Dobby the House Elf…I think they have a sock fetish as well.

And as far as I know, elves aren’t animals

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Of course it is. I have no Charr characters, all my humans are Ascalonian in origin, and I would happily engage in some payback genocide. Anet doesn’t help with directly contradicting established lore saying Ascalon was originally Charr land. Hint: it wasn’t, it belonged to the Forgotten.

Indeed.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

charr took my juuub

And we will take it back and rend all char from this world.

ASCALON ETERNAL!

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I don’t think that there is racism in the game as such. There is hesitation if anything to totally trust/forgive the other races so fast sure. But that is to be expected in the type of situation and communities that these “people” are in.

I also think that it is a very, very, very subtle comment on our own world and how many people are still like this and indeed some still truly ARE racist. The game is NOT promoting any of this, if anything just telling it how it is. Sometimes some people need things to be highlighted for them because some people just do not pick up on things themselves or even like to admit that they themselves still do act/think in ways that others might think are the wrong ways or politically correct.

I think ANet has handled this situation and are telling the story realistically in the best way that anyone could.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Hating between species isn’t racism per say…This is a loaded question, it can be discussed on many levels…
But for the situation at hand, I think from a lore stand point it’s alright. Inter species relations has just about kicked off after all. But I wouldn’t walk around in LA slurring other species :p as long as it’s done between friends or acquainted.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: DouBLe.6084

DouBLe.6084

http://i.minus.com/iboqVTpdkvDgP6.gif

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Show how smart you are, Skritt are rats, Asura are not, pretty simple really for most of the smarter folk out there.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

Wait how can you be racist, all the races in this game are pretty cool, except sylvari those green leafy dudes are weird as heck
#colorblind #nvmidontlikegreen #itsnoteasybeinggreenanditshouldntbe

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

There is a very good reason a well known charr ran around with an asura, sylvari, human and norn.

Appetizer
Salad
Main course
And a little after dinner exercise.

Posted by: Elric of Grans.7684

Elric of Grans.7684

When I play my Charr (and only my Charr) I frequently find myself being in-game racist. I call humans weak or cowardly. Asura unreliable. I do not even bother demeaning myself by speaking to Sylvari. I lock horns with Norn on who is the strongest. I do not know why I do this, but it just seems natural.