Is it only GW1 players that find GW2 boring?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

Is it only GW1 players that find GW2 boring for several reasons or players from other mmos that have the same feeling.
because 99% of GW1 players (my guess from reading everywhere) are not happy about how gw2 turned to be .
Mike O’Brien: " Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world that’s got more active combat, a fully-branching, personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees."
by action combat did he meant movement (dodge).
the story oh please, I have 2 lvl 80 and no reason to finish the story of any of em ( I miss Prince Rurik and Gwen).
event system only works if you are with a zerg. sometimes i have the feeling to do anything in this game you need a zerg.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Your statistics are wrong. In my circle there are 3 people who were dedicated GW1 freaks (including me), one asian grinder fan and 2 WoW addicts. The WoW addicts left after a month because MoP called. The asian grinder left after 2 months. The three GW1 freaks are still playing on a daily basis.

I do agree on the story. My main 80 still has to finish it and my alts stop after getting their order. Apart from that your post does not reflect my feelings at all.

What you don’t seem to understand is the following: This is NOT GW1, this is GW2, an MMO based on the premise of putting GW1 in an open world. If you reread all promises made, and I dare you to find all possible sources of legitimate quotes, none of them have been broken. The only things you don’t like, are things you imagined would be different. Go and reread the original PC Gamer article, it still describes GW2 to the letter.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

I play in a guild full of GW1ers, and they all love GW2…

Posted by: aocypher.9172

aocypher.9172

I played GW1 and I still find GW2 entertaining.

My brothers, however, who were more hardcore GW1 players than me (ie: they both vanquished all the zones, my little brother has the “GWAMM title” – farmed for hundreds of hours with his 55hp monk), don’t really play. They complain about how long it takes to get to max level, and how bad the PvP/combat system is.

(edited by aocypher.9172)

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

My brothers, however, who were more hardcore GW1 players than me (ie: they both vanquished all the zones, my little brother has the “GWAMM title” – farmed for hundreds of hours with his 55hp monk), don’t really play. They complain about how long it takes to level, and how bad the combat system is.

Ugh. Bad combat? This game has some of the most fun combat of any game I’ve played at all, let alone an MMO…

And how long it takes to level? I leveled to 80 in a week and a half. Most MMOs will take you up to months to hit their max level, especially with your first toon. GW1 allowed you to get to its abysmally tiny max level in a matter of HOURS…which is just flat-out stupid.

Your brothers’ excuses are kinda….silly.

aocypher.9172

That’s obviously a difference of opinion. I personally have no issues with the leveling rate, but they do. They hate having to regear with higher level equipment every few days.

My brothers, however, who were more hardcore GW1 players than me (ie: they both vanquished all the zones, my little brother has the “GWAMM title” – farmed for hundreds of hours with his 55hp monk), don’t really play. They complain about how long it takes to level, and how bad the combat system is.

Ugh. Bad combat? This game has some of the most fun combat of any game I’ve played at all, let alone an MMO…

And how long it takes to level? I leveled to 80 in a week and a half. Most MMOs will take you up to months to hit their max level, especially with your first toon. GW1 allowed you to get to its abysmally tiny max level in a matter of HOURS…which is just flat-out stupid.

Your brothers’ excuses are kinda….silly.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Please don’t make up bad statistics. I am a GW1 vet and I love GW2.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

…If you like Tomb Raider.

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Combat may be ‘fun’ or rather, active but it IS boring with extremely limited skills.. can’t deny that.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

marnick.4305

Combat may be ‘fun’ or rather, active but it IS boring with extremely limited skills.. can’t deny that.

I do not agree on the premise that I actually use all 10 skills on my bar plus profession mechanic skills, alternate weapon kit, forms and the like. All of those skills have a use in the correct situation.

Compare to any other MMO where you just spam fireball. Oh yea there’s an optimal routine, but just spamming fireball gets you everywhere. WoW fans called GW1 the 8-skill game. The sad fact being that WoW is pretty much a 1-skill game regardless of how cluttered your screen is.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Aevic.9675

Aevic.9675

I played GW1 up until Eye of the North. I find GW2 to be very fun.

aocypher.9172

I do not agree on the premise that I actually use all 10 skills on my bar plus profession mechanic skills, alternate weapon kit, forms and the like. All of those skills have a use in the correct situation.

Compare to any other MMO where you just spam fireball. Oh yea there’s an optimal routine, but just spamming fireball gets you everywhere. WoW fans called GW1 the 8-skill game. The sad fact being that WoW is pretty much a 1-skill game regardless of how cluttered your screen is.

WoW may be effectively be more simplistic (ie: death knights have many skills that effectively do the same thing on different timers), but GW2’s skill selection is way worst than GW1. Just the fact that 5 of your skills (ie: the weapon skills) are effectively locked (although weaponswaps/attunements/kits helps mitigate that), your 6th skill is locked into “healing”, your 7th – 9th into "utility, and 10th into “elite” doesn’t really add as much build diversity as GW1. (well, that and the not having a 2nd class thing). I understand why the game was designed this way (ie: helps with balance issues), but I still miss the flexibility GW1 gave you in skill/build selection.

marnick.4305

WoW may be effectively be more simplistic (ie: death knights have many skills that effectively do the same thing on different timers), but GW2’s skill selection is way worst than GW1. Just the fact that 5 of your skills (ie: the weapon skills) are effectively locked (although weaponswaps/attunements/kits helps mitigate that), your 6th skill is locked into “healing”, your 7th – 9th into "utility, and 10th into “elite” doesn’t really add as much build diversity as GW1. (well, that and the not having a 2nd class thing). I understand why the game was designed this way (ie: helps with balance issues), but I still miss the flexibility GW1 gave you in skill/build selection.

I hope one of the patches comes with a set of new skills, preferably through event chains or personal quest lines. There’s a balanced foundation to work with, now it’s up to the dev team to expand on that.
The weapon system is extremely good and well thought. It’s not limiting but rather more flexible. Every build of random skills has a form of merit. In GW1 you were effectively limited to a handful of builds, 90% of the skills were never used seriously. That’s exactly what the current system avoids. By having any random weapon, you are already an effective character.

Posted by: HERO.2057

HERO.2057

GW1 top PvP player here, and PvE GWAMM, 7 years of GW1.

GW2 is incredibly crap, out of my 20ish friends from GW1, 0 kept playing GW2 (including me), i still lurk the forums, waiting for a massive update, that will never come.

PvE is boring, i got two 80s and i just can’t find any motivation/patience to level a third.

PvP is incredibly bad, and this is a general feeling among GW1 PvP players and GW2 PvP players, there was a video posted somewhere about some Skype conference call with one of the PvP balance mod, and they acknowledge PvP fails.

A lot of players confuse fun PvP with competitive PvP, which gw2 has neither, no ranks, no observer, no solid battle mechanisms.

Anyways, this is a pointless thread, a mod will come and close it soon, a ship of fanboys start posting how perfect the game is, blah blah and anet will choose to believe the 10 people that say the game is perfect and ignore the 10 million that cry out for improvement. (the ones that are still left, i’ve noticed there are are a lot less fanboys now, some quitted or joined the force i suppose, but probably quitted).

Electronic Empire [eE]
———
Commander of Blacktide

Aevic.9675

Except most of GW1’s skills came from future expansions. There wasn’t so many options when GW1 was released. We had about the same amount of options.

Posted by: bantapoo.1093

bantapoo.1093

I used to love gw2. It took me 3 months to realize that the classes and skills systems are weak and way behind gw1.
the core activity of an mmo is fighting. I judge it based on 3 factors:
- the variety and flexibility of classes/roles system.
- the skill management complexity and variety.
- the combat UI and how customizable it is.
Despite some nice stuff added in gw2, In all those 3 points gw1 wins hands down.
I regret dearly the devs didn’t keep gw1 designs on those matters, as for me it makes or breaks a game.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

My brothers, however, who were more hardcore GW1 players than me (ie: they both vanquished all the zones, my little brother has the “GWAMM title” – farmed for hundreds of hours with his 55hp monk), don’t really play. They complain about how long it takes to get to max level, and how bad the PvP/combat system is.

I was rather hardcore GW1 (I think). I vanquished all zones several times, I got 4 GWAMM titles (spread across 2 accounts), but I never farmed nor did PvP.

I love GW2 still. I think most people who mostly farmed in GW1 might find GW2 boring as farming is rather harshly punished (or so I understood). I have always liked to set my own goals and GW2 allows me to do just that. Together with that non-instanced world (which I sometimes really hated in GW1, especially if you had to leave after vanquishing a zone for 50%…), I love to wander around in the world. If they ever implement guesting, it would be perfect for me, as I can then actually join my friends in whatever they’re doing (about half of my friends are on a different server), which wasn’t always possible in GW1 (as you couldn’t hot-join a party).

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Except most of GW1’s skills came from future expansions. There wasn’t so many options when GW1 was released. We had about the same amount of options.

Look here http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/List_of_Prophecies_skills
So you’re wrong but i hope they add more skills when they release a new expansion.

Aevic.9675

So you’re wrong but i hope they add more skills when they release a new expansion.

All I got from that is I’m a bit off. It’s a bit less because some skills were combined or removed or added to weapon based skills. I don’t see how I’m that wrong though, sorry. They’ll add them in updates like expansions. I just see useless whining over something Arenanet is known for. Adding more depth to the classes.

Edit: Yep, looking at some class comparisons between the games it looks about the same on the skill trees. Maybe a few skills are missing or one class is a few short but as I said above more are to come.

Edit: Underlined the part you might have missed ? I said ABOUT the same amount. Not an exact or more. (though some cases it is) Might be less but it’s not something to cry about.

(edited by Aevic.9675)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Aevic is correct then. Do the math

Warrior in GW1: 35+41 = 76 skills (Common + Prophecies – at release)
Warrior in GW2: 75 + 9 Burst skills + 15 skills in skill chains + 9 Banner + 5 Rampage + 8 downed/drowned = 121 skills, Even if you get only the 75 skills they are equal in number

In conclusion, the “Guild Wars 1 had more skills” argument, is invalid

(edited by maddoctor.2738)

tom.7468

Warrior in GW1: 35
Warrior in GW2: 75 + 9 Burst skills + 15 skills in skill chains + 9 Banner + 5 Rampage + 8 downed/drowned = 121 skills, Even if you get only the 75 skills and exclude the “specials” they are more than double the amount of skills Warriors had in Prophecies…

Yes but do you know what the difference is? in gw1 you can choose all the skills not just the last 5 that you can activate once per minute so that your build is mainly based on the weapon skills.

Aevic.9675

Warrior in GW1: 35
Warrior in GW2: 75 + 9 Burst skills + 15 skills in skill chains + 9 Banner + 5 Rampage + 8 downed/drowned = 121 skills, Even if you get only the 75 skills and exclude the “specials” they are more than double the amount of skills Warriors had in Prophecies…

Yes but do you know what the difference is? in gw1 you can choose all the skills not just the last 5 that you can activate once per minute so that your build is mainly based on the weapon skills.

This is the part I’ll agree with, you got me there. More are to come in future expansions. I’m sure they’ll allow you to customize the first 5 and not limit you.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

because 99% of GW1 players (my guess from reading everywhere) are not happy about how gw2 turned to be .

80% of the statistics on internet are made up on the spot. On forums, that’s 99.9%.

Posted by: Dookies.2718

Dookies.2718

I am a veteran GW1 player and I enjoy GW2.

GW2 does have some problems and there are aspects of GW1 i like over GW2, but overall I am happy with how GW2 turned out and feel comfortable in the direction it seems to be headed.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

I play in a guild full of WoWers and like 2 GW1ers >_> I played alot of GW1 myself but never got to deep into it, it didnt hold me the same way this dose

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

People tend to forget about expansions. And yes i agree there is nothing much to do in the game, but there still is something to do. I dont like fractals as well, b ut i do like my elementalist so i want the best equip for him. Still would be better to get those jewels from another source. I also want to equip t3 for my Asura Eleme., still not there. Not interested on Legendary because there are 3 or 4 that are nice, the others are ugly or kitten I dont play everyday like i used to but i still do my things and im not bored at all. To be able to play when i want and be at the level of my guildies that play everyday is something that you wont get on Tera, TSW or WoW.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I’m a gw1 player, never played another mmo nor want to and i find gw2 boring now. I like gw2 the first two months but since reaching level 80, getting all weps/armors from dungeon and the stupid DR implemented, gw2 became a boring fest. I don’t hate on gw2 because i played gw1 for years, i find gw2 boring because there’s nothing for me to do and lack of traits/skills/2nd profession makes me run same two/three builds for 1k hours. If gw2 had over 1k skills like gw1 did, even in this over nerfed boring world i’d still have some fun because of combat variations.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

marnick.4305

The difference is exactly that. 99% of players couldn’t put together a decent synergized build even with a pistal to their head. How many of you actually came up with basic things like SF+Gaze or lich form BOTM spam? How many invented the 55 monk without going to gwpvx or similar websites? How many of you figured out iway on your own? How many of you create an UWSC on own brain power?

The problem here is that with a game based on high synergy, only the best builds are used religiously. By forcing a base level of synergy with the healing and weapon rquirements, you are actually allowing MORE viable builds into the game, even though there’s less overall builds. Build variety in GW2 is vastly higher than GW1 in practice, regardless of whatever theorycraft might say otherwise.

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

The answer is no. Both past GW1 players and people who never played GW1 could find this game boring. It is all up to the individual’s personal taste. However, past GW1 players would be more inclined to disagree with features of GW2, simply because many people like things to stay the way they always were.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I made a correction in my first post because Prophecies also included the Core skills, so the two games have a pretty even amount of skills. However Guild Wars 2 has a lot more if you consider the “specials” I mentioned in my post.

I know about skill choice in gw1 I’ve been playing gw1 for a long time, but I can understand why they did it, more choice leads to less builds not the opposite. Players found the “best skillbars” making lots of those skills useless. In the end, with absolute freedom in skill choice, comes a certain restriction in viable builds. It’s strange but it’s the truth.

What I find more puzzling is that gw1 in Prophecies had 16 elite skills for Warriors while gw2 has only 3… That’s certainly a real limitation and comes from the difference in how players acquire them, the system in gw1 was far superior than the system in gw2

Posted by: Bastion.2457

Bastion.2457

Never follow anything mentioned on game forums. These places are mired up with a small (but extremely vocal) minority of people who spend hours of their day typing complaints on here, for no purpose other than to annoy people and rant.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’m a 4 year vet of GW1 and I have to say that I’m loving GW2. My play time has decreased as of late, but that’s due more to life constraints rather than an unwillingness to play. I don’t find myself bored in the least, but rather wishing I had more time to play so that I can do what I want with my characters.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

marnick.4305

The answer is no. Both past GW1 players and people who never played GW1 could find this game boring. It is all up to the individual’s personal taste. However, past GW1 players would be more inclined to disagree with features of GW2, simply because many people like things to stay the way they always were.

It’s called conservatism, which is a disastrous way to run things in the long term. People much rather know a conservative fraction to run the country/game/… to the ground than be unsure whether a progressive idea will prosper or fail equally hard.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Warrior in GW1: 35+41 = 76 skills (Common + Prophecies – at release)
Warrior in GW2: 75 + 9 Burst skills + 15 skills in skill chains + 9 Banner + 5 Rampage + 8 downed/drowned = 121 skills, Even if you get only the 75 skills they are equal in number

Even more reason why GW2’s skill system is inferior — even if there are more skills in GW2 compared to GW1 prophecies, the amount of actual choice is much less because weapon skills are invariant – you can only choose weapons (plus heal/utils).

Even if you disregard the fact that a large chunk of the depth of the GW1 skill system came from the secondary profession, a GW1 warrior would still have more actual choice picking from only warrior skills.

In practise, the GW2 skill system sucks. It only takes 1 or 2 very strong or very weak skills on a weapon to make that weapon mandatory or unusable with little in-between.

Case in point, I have virtually zero choice in speccing my Ele because all weapon sets perform far below D/D and close to zero choice in utilities because cantrips are so much better than the other utility types: they’re instant, break stun, can be used offensively or defensively, and all counteract the extreme fragility of Ele.

Likewise traits — all the good cantrip traits and condition removal are in water, and Ele is close to unplayable without 20+ pts in arcane.

The point is, GW2 is rife with design fail, and it’s not just restricted to Ele. The same lack of real, true choice afflicts every class i’ve tried.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

What were you guys doing on GW1 that gave you all this freedom and choice you keep talking about? In my alliance all anyone did was vaettir farm with a build from pvxwiki and run speed clears, also with builds from pvxwiki. If someone tried to take a build other than the one they were told to take they weren’t allowed to go.

As for the OP’s question. I played GW1 and one friend did too. We’re still playing GW2. The other friends I started playing GW2 with mostly quit for WoW as soon as MoP was released (they said the lack of gear is boring) and a few stopped playing MMO’s entirely.

tom.7468

ex gw1 player here I also love gw2 but i think it has potential of improving.

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

I’ll be honest with this post, I’ll try to keep the nostalgia and bias low.

GW1 had everything I loved in an MMO. A story, which you progressed through quite easily, pretty much taking you around the continents, it pulled you in and made you feel like you were part of it, and you made a difference.

You had hundreds of skills to choose from and the ability to create your own build to adapt to any situation, e.g. certain missions/explorable areas, team and solo farming, PvP modes, etc. Although there were meta game builds your own builds work just as well, and maybe even better.

Titles. These were something to aim for. A long term goal. I never got GWAMM, but this gave the game the incredible 7 years of activity. People joining up and going for protector/guardian or vanquishing, or faction/point farming. It gave the community something to do, and it wasn’t a solo game 90% of the time.

There was so much to do apart from title hunting. I pretty much spent most of my time doing AB and RA. The PvP modes had so much variation and choice. It made it difficult to choose which one to focus on. The game was heavily PvP focused, and it was open for both hardcore and casual players.

Guilds had a meaning. It created small, friendly communities, with the ability to form alliances (I really miss this feature). You had your own guild hall, where fellow guildies and alliance members could hang out (I miss this even more). You could organize events for PvE/PvP as a guild. Being in a guild meant something.

Now onto GW2. Let me start by saying, what complete and utter rubbish came out of Mr. O’brien’s mouth. There’s absolutely nothing here that I enjoyed from GW1. Zero. It’s a whole new game, pretty much aimed at WoW players.

The number of skills is ridiculous. No one has any variety within their own profession. There’s nothing to aim for apart from the ridiculous grind for a legendary weapon. Title hunting is gone, pretty much a waste of time for those who earned 50/50 in HoM. Guilds have no purpose. I’ve been in 1 guild since pre-launch up until level 80. I probably stayed in that guild for a week. Giving people to hop in and out of guilds was a terrible idea. The only reason people make a guild is for the extra storage space. There’s no sense of community. Also for those interested in PvP, I know that feel bro. 1 PvP mode, pretty much a small scale AB on a very limited number of maps. I won’t count WvW as PvP, since it’s a mindless zergfest, and the biggest zerg wins.

But apart from these disappointing features, I still love this game. The graphics and the scenery are beautiful. The combat, although limited, is fun. The exploration is a lot more fun. There is no “end game”. You can hit 80 and pretty much choose your path, PvP, WvW, Dungeons, Map completion, fractals, crafting, obtaining your legendary etc etc. Although it’s tiny compared to GW1, I know this game will grow and open up new options.

All in all, this game is amazing, and I’m hoping that in time, they will improve the game MASSIVELY, like they done in GW1.

TL;DR: Disappointed with the lack of main GW1 features, however GW2 is still a brilliant game and looking forward to future development.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

GW1 player here, 7 years playing the original one, both PvP and PvE. I love GW2, I’m playing every day and having fun. I have two characters at 80, and leveling my 3rd now.

I’m still trying to complete all the dungeons, trying to get a legendary weapon (twilight), leveling all the crafting professions, finding all the jumping puzzles, leveling all the other characters (8 slots, one for each profession), learning the personal history for every race, collecting all the dungeon and race armors.

WvWvW is awesome, I play it just for fun, but may be interested in becoming Commander in the future to play with all my guilds together. If I ever get bored of PvEing, I will spend my time here for sure. I know that there are some serious culling issues, but I’m the type that likes to go in 5 man parties cover ops taking supply camps when the timer is about to reach 0

PvP is the only dissapointment I had so far. I got rank 12 or 13 back in September I haven’t played again. I miss a format like we had in GW1 with the Tomb of Primeval Kings, tournament like with different maps and different objectives. The tournaments now are limited to hold the base, which I personally find the lest attractive of all… my favorite was running relics, or hold the base but with 3 different teams which allowed weakest teams to play. Also, there are no rewards in PvP that I’m interested, as skins are random I won’t even bother trying the mystic toilet for getting them. In GW1 at least we had the Celestial Sigil, which was worth 100 gold coins back in the day, or rare weapons and minis when the chest was changed. I haven’t got a Mini Ghostly Hero, though

So, summary for me is that this game is awesome, and it can be even better.

I agree with the OP in one thing… I miss Gwen I’d love to have my Gwen mini’s from GW1 here

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

Nope.

Neither myself or anyone I started playing this game with played gw1 much.

0 on today.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

The only disappointment I have, coming from GW, is the lack of synergy between skills, and how skills would affect each other (since a lot of this has been put into passive traits). For example:

• Instead of Backbreaker > Belly Smash (inflicts Blindness if foe is knocked down), we got a Hammer Mastery Trait (which deals extra damage to knocked down foes passively)
  • Chaining Shatterstone (Hex) > Teinei’s Crystals (Cracked Armour) > Teinei’s Prison (Health Degen)

I think in this regard, GW2 could implement a similar system to give synergy between weapon sets, and more importance to conditions and states:

• If target foe is afflicted with Bleeding, your Thief Venom effects last twice as long.
  • If target foe is Weakened and Blocking, Fierce Blow (Warrior Hammer 2) knocks down that foe.
  • If foe is confused, Mind Stab (Mesmer Greatsword 3) removes an additional boon.

Thinks like that I feel would add more to skill synergy.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

I thought GW1 was boring and this is no better, it actually is worse since this game does not seem to have any balance or rewarding game system at all.

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

Posted by: JSmooth.7654

JSmooth.7654

What were you guys doing on GW1 that gave you all this freedom and choice you keep talking about? In my alliance all anyone did was vaettir farm with a build from pvxwiki and run speed clears, also with builds from pvxwiki. If someone tried to take a build other than the one they were told to take they weren’t allowed to go.

As for the OP’s question. I played GW1 and one friend did too. We’re still playing GW2. The other friends I started playing GW2 with mostly quit for WoW as soon as MoP was released (they said the lack of gear is boring) and a few stopped playing MMO’s entirely.

This is not directed personally at you Kana, just using as example…

I feel sorry for those GW1 players who allowed other people to limit their fun and skill-building creativity. I hardly ever used the meta/uber/flavor of the month build; but I ran functional and viable builds none-the-less. I had fun being creative. I’m sorry you did not. And yes, I also used pvxwiki to get general build ideas.

There is something to be said for using a specific build for a specific purpose/farm/or whatever… but that doesn’t mean you have to use THAT build every second of every day…

I want to make different hammer builds for my guardian. I want to swap out different hammer skills. I can swap out utility skills; but these have weak synergy with the hammer outside of setting up combo fields. I’d like to use different elite skills that compliment the hammer playstyle… but that’s not available either.

I am a tank at heart.
Sometimes I wonder what I’m doing here…

Posted by: Coolmoos.8546

Coolmoos.8546

It is not just you bud…. This game is lacking unfortunately. But I mean its Free to play so I really can’t complain.

Atriese 80 Thief – Os Guild [Os] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Most people in GW1 ran whatever meta of the week build was available, there wasn’t a lot of variation and you got punished if you ran variations.

I ran an elemonk/elerit healer build that was very good for a lot of things, but got passed over for monks and refused places in groups— even though those builds were designed for hard modes where eles could pump out much more heals, and much bigger ones, due to having such huge energy pools.

Didn’t matter that I’d played monk and rit for years; no one would take the ele. Nonstandard build.

I had a necro with a homemade SS build, indestructible if anything nearby died or their health dropped below 50, pve, pvp, etc. Same thing— not the cookie cutter build, no go.

ANet noticed this kind of thing, too— in theory you could make any build you wanted, but a disproportionate amount of players only used specific builds and refused to play with anyone who did not. So making all of those various skills ended up being a waste of time, money, and balancing.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

GW1 player here and I love GW2. I have quite a few friends that played GW1 as well and they’re all still playing GW2.

So yeah..if we just go by this page alone that kind throws that hole 99% figure out the window.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I played GW1 to death but I quit GW2.

I don’t think it’s because I played GW1 that I don’t like GW2 though. What you do see is that people who played GW1 and don’t like GW2 can make clear comparisons to things they liked in GW1 that are missing.

I also have to laugh at people who don’t get that people can be disappointed. What the devs said, for example, is that they took “all the things you love about GW1”. They didn’t. Simple fact. But this is also personal.
It’s particularly funny to me, because the devs did imply that GW2 was really a furthering of GW1 instead of a completely different game that barely resembles it at all, keeping just some names and history. See that was just their marketing strategy.

Also keep in my that when they say something, they tend to embellish. What does it mean when you talk about massive dragon events? A lot of people here commented there is no tactics because everybody is just running around doing their individual things without communication and the fight it itself is very simple and rewards are appropriately crap. Some will say Anet lied, others will feel it fits the bill.

I was initially disappointed how different the game was from GW1. I knew it would be different, I did read the articles, but I didn’t see it would be THAT different.

So once I got over that the question was this: If I disconnect GW1 from GW2 in my mind is GW2 still a fun game for me? The answer was no. Not because it isn’t like GW1 but because FOR ME it fails to deliver on the long term. I find the replay value of the leveling zones extremely low. I find the functional differences between classes non existent. Bear with me….I am an altoholic and after leveling two characters to 80 I just couldn’t get myself to level another one. Too uninteresting. Which brings me to the story line.

Watch the manifesto and see what they say about the epic story, you know, my story. Sorry, it’s not epic and after Mr. T. comes in the story it most certainly isn’t my story for sure.

The video said: no grind. we don’t make grind games they said. Come again? FotM is grind station number 1. Like it or not, the way FotM is build is a genius platform for grind.

All in all, we have no stats. But there are a number of people who quit because it’s nothing like GW1. There are people who quite because they got bored with the game as such for different reasons. This happens to any game really.

The reason I refer to GW1 a lot is because as part of the issue I don’t understand how they had some great things in GW1 that they didn’t keep for GW2. The previous game does certain things better and it was their own product. How they got to throw those out and put inferior elements in GW2 by comparison is what does baffle me.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

Truth is that FOTM is the same grind system as WoW. Funny is that some people hate WoW but they are 30+ on that stupid dungeon. Anet made an error with that one. “No Grind” they said… yeah right.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I got 3 GWAMMs, 2 People Know Mes and countless KOABD’s. I find GW2 a fun game to an extent, I really liked leveling up my necro (first level 80) and some parts of my ele (second level 80). I found pvp in GW2 incredibly boring and only got to rank 10 and stopped because it’s so inactive/ same stuff over and over with antisocial-no team work required gameplay. PvE has become a grind to whoever can get the highest fractal level/shiniest weapons and back pieces. GW1 was like that too, but within reason that mostly everyone who played GW1 regularly could get ( I got all 8 obsidian armors/4 chaos gloves with no farming just played the game and maxed titles on 4 characters.) In GW2 it feels like an eternal grind to get 1 legendary weapon, I haven’t given up on GW2 and Anet, I’m just taking a long break until there is a huge paid expansion that comes out instead of these little tid bits of content that really annoy me.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

tom.7468

Truth is that FOTM is the same grind system as WoW. Funny is that some people hate WoW but they are 30+ on that stupid dungeon. Anet made an error with that one. “No Grind” they said… yeah right.

All the dungeons is a grind lets say you go the speed route in cof it still takes you 40 runs to get full cof armor.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I can’t speak for every let down GW1 fan. But I think many of them would agree with my perspective of it (I actually know they do from previous threads similar to this), so let me try to clarify a few things.

…GW2 is not a bad game. It’s an amazing game. It can get boring because of the challenge that GW1 players are used to, but its not a boring game overall. It just doesn’t feel like a sequel. It feels like more of an entirely different game with some fan-service thrown in as a nod to long time supporters.

Without getting in to the obvious gameplay and design differences and to give some examples people might relate to:

Persona 4 was an RPG with a huge and loyal fan base. Persona 4 Arena was a straight up fighting game made by an entirely separate studio, years later. Even though they were different genres, they both still felt like Persona. Even if you were to remove the key characters from the fighter and replace them with new ones, you could still say…“This is a Persona game”. Whatever that magic formula is, Arc Sys nailed it.

Goldeneye was a defining game in a lot of our childhoods. Its one of the most universally beloved games of my generation. When Rare couldn’t do another Bond game, they made their own IP instead called Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark was the sequel to Goldeneye. Even though they were completely different properties, you could tell the moment you started playing that the same guys made it, that it had all of the same awesome as the original with some more awesome caked on top. When you think of O’brian’s basic statement – to take everything loved about the original and add stuff to make it better – Goldeneye to Perfect Dark is pretty much the poster-child of that sentiment.

So you have a property that retained its identity across genres, and you have a sequel that retained the spirit of it’s predecessor. The Guild Wars franchise lost its identity between games, and the sequel has none of the spirit of the original. And that is why a lot of the veterans have become dismayed with it.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand