Is it time to put a cap on damages?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Simply as the title states, damages are out of control, seriously where does 9k-35k damages are even considered "balanced:?

Most certainly they are inexcusable and unjust, and how is that even considered ok?

My encouragement to Arena.net, please put a cap Damage; you did extraordinarily well with conditions, so why not implement damage cap across the board?

So here is my suggestion and solution ; all Aoe’s Damages; 3k cap, everything else-5k cap, period!

What is so wonderful about having them implemented; less nerfs, no Favoritism, no Elitist ism, no class Unfairness and definitely,no Op classes.

Most importantly, having no more outrageous notorious game breaking damages.

So at the end of the day, every class will be given equal access to the same pool of damages, like other classes.

Of course!, every class will differ in damages………

So, i leave room for your thoughts, suggestions, oppinions?

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well I suppose it is only fair that direct damage users get to feel how condition users feel all the time.

I would modify it and say that no more than 5k dmg per second from all sources. That is the current cap on condition damage, so makes sense to cap it the same for direct damage. Any damage over the 5k mark will be lost and the enemy will gain an immunity buff for 1s upon reaching the limit.

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

You do realize there is an achievement for doing 300k dmg in 1 hit right?

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Other solution I can see is make direct damage work like conditions, but with higher stack, like 50 or even higher, and stack on damage, but affected by power instead of condition damage, of course.
That way it is fair with both sides.

EDIT:

And still I got it as a ranger running hybrid build under lvl 80 with masterwork gear about 2 months after game release.
Damage caused on ambient creatures (white mobs) count towards the achieve, and you can also use environmental and siege weapons.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

(edited by Belzebu.3912)

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

Other solution I can see is make direct damage work like conditions, but with higher stack, like 50 or even higher, and stack on damage, but affected by power instead of condition damage, of course.
That way it is fair with both sides.

I suggested capping direct damage users on another thread a couple weeks ago.

In any case, how is that fair? Why should direct damage, which already causes more damage than conditions, get a bigger stack. That makes no sense whatsoever. I say make the stacks the same. It will also encourage more professional diversity because more builds will be much more viable.

Belzebu.3912

A bigger stack because 100% of the players cause direct damage no matter or what, so more people could enter in the stack.
Also cond damage have 5 ways of proc (bleed, poison, burn, torment, confusion), while in that scenario power would only proc once, so make the only way power cause damage have a higher stack cap would make up for the higher cond diversity.

I know such idea will never happen, but it is worth a good discussion

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

Damage caused on ambient creatures (white mobs) count towards the achieve, and you can also use environmental and siege weapons.

i got that achievement by killing an ambient creature on a level 50ish toon, a month or so after launch.

it would be nice for all builds to be capped on all versions of dam, that way we can all play what we fancy rather than what is trending; this game is gagging for some more variety.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Honestly, capping direct damage would make all those other gear sets that are not Berzerker relevant for PvE.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Cap damage = indirectly buff conditions

You all must be PvErs, but burst is needed to take down bunkers.

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

All I see is “Oh noez those people can do dungeons in 1/3 of the time I need, thats so unfair, QQ.”

Why do you want to destroy the way I want to play this game? Srsly, thats just as stupid as the suggestion to remove everything but berserkers gear from the game.

I don’t ask Anet to nerf your fun, please don’t ask them to kill mine.

Play the way you want, my friends, play the way you want.

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

So my encouragement to Arena.net, please cap Damage. You did extraordinarily well with conditions, so why not implement it across the board?

Umm no, just no. For starters, they did a terrible job with condition in relations to cap. By your comparison, they more players attacking the target, they less damage each should do. Personally I feel your over all idea is terribly misplaced.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Belzebu.3912

I personally think that cond damage should have personal stacks, but since such a thing can’t be done because of technical limitations, bring power down should be the answer.

PS: I run power build, but I also played a lot with cond build. Also, I agree that in PvP and solo fight, cond damage is very powerful.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

And how this “great” idea would realistically even work?

Leamas.5803

Cap damage = indirectly buff conditions

You all must be PvErs, but burst is needed to take down bunkers.

The caps are of little concern in PvP or WvW, players go down much more readily regardless of the build and there is little time to build any stack of anything.

A bigger stack because 100% of the players cause direct damage no matter or what, so more people could enter in the stack.
Also cond damage have 5 ways of proc (bleed, poison, burn, torment, confusion), while in that scenario power would only proc once, so make the only way power cause damage have a higher stack cap would make up for the higher cond diversity.

I know such idea will never happen, but it is worth a good discussion

Other than maybe a necro conditimancer build, you can’t necessarily spec to do all 5 and certainly can’t maintain a stack on all 5. I would argue bleed, of all the conditions, should have a higher stack than 25 since, like direct damage, pretty much all builds and professions have the ability to cause bleeding. Just increasing this one cap would go a long way in fixing the problem in PvE and dungeons, while not affecting WvW or PvP at all, where I consider condition users to be just fine, if not a little OP, which is why ANet is seeming nerfing necros in PvP in the upcoming rebalance.

All I see is “Oh noez those people can do dungeons in 1/3 of the time I need, thats so unfair, QQ.”

Why do you want to destroy the way I want to play this game? Srsly, thats just as stupid as the suggestion to remove everything but berserkers gear from the game.

The problem with your entire statement is that ANet severely hindered condition users, in PvE and dungeons only IMO, by implementing such a low stack, especially on bleeding when all professions can cause bleeding in one form or another. 10 condition users will hit that stack in no time and everything else is useless. Where 10 zerker builds suffer no such limitation on their attacks and cause vastly more damage. We’re not asking to destroy the way you want to play, we’re asking to have the builds somewhat balanced so there are more viable builds in the game, which they are far from at the moment.

Posted by: BAEK.8561

BAEK.8561

This would only complicate things even more. You’d have this artificial line that you’d have to dance around. Basically, everyone would be required to crunch numbers to find the perfect power/toughness balance where one has enough power to do damage, but not enough power to go over the damage cap (since anything over would be wasted).

Terrible idea.

I’d say a better idea would be to increase the effectiveness of toughness, making it a more attractive stat.

{Sanctum of Rall} Since Day -3
Weekend Guardian/Elementalist
No Guild Affiliation

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

One of the worst ideas I’ve ever heard. What about buff conditions instead?

In fact, if you increase the toughness of bosses and decrease vitality, that indirectly buffs condition damage and nerfs direct damage.

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

The problem with your entire statement is that ANet severely hindered condition users, in PvE and dungeons only IMO, by implementing such a low stack, especially on bleeding when all professions can cause bleeding in one form or another. 10 condition users will hit that stack in no time and everything else is useless. Where 10 zerker builds suffer no such limitation on their attacks and cause vastly more damage. We’re not asking to destroy the way you want to play, we’re asking to have the builds somewhat balanced so there are more viable builds in the game, which they are far from at the moment.

So, Condition damage is broken, therefore we need to break everything else to balance it?

I am 100% fine with removing stacks for condition damage. I don’t think they are a good Idea at all. Give conditions a buff and I am the first one around playing conditionmancer. I like that build. But it’s bad (PvE PoV).

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Simply as the title states, damages are out of control; 9k-35k are inexcusable and unjust.

So my encouragement to Arena.net, please cap Damage. You did extraordinarily well with conditions, so why not implement it across the board?

So here is my suggestion and solution ; all Aoe’s Damage; 3k cap, everything else-5k cap

And the positiveness of all of this, less nerfs and more freedom to balance the classes and the game.

So there, no more outrageous notorious game breaking damages.

No more Favoritism, and no more Elitist ism, Unfairness and definitely,no more Op classes.

Because at the end of the day, every class will be able to have equal access to the same pool of damages, like other classes.

Your thoughts, suggestions, oppinions?

Not a bad idea, but I think there’s only one logical conclusion to this thought process.

Cap all damage at 1.

Additionally, have all attacks take 1 second to complete so that every action you take is 1 DPS. We could do the same for NPCs as well. Then we could balance health a lot easier too. Every player would have 5 health. That would allow you to survive exactly 5 attacks. Conditions might be a challenge in this system, but they were process intensive anyways, so best to change all conditions to direct damage. After all, it doesn’t make sense that you could bleed a structure, right?

The fairness ramifications would be tremendous. No more worrying about gear checks. Ascended gear? Not necessary, instafixed the Nov2012 patch in one fell swoop. Worried about ANet nerfing your build in the next patch? Doesn’t matter anymore, since everyone does 1 DPS regardless of their build. Worried that thief will instagib you with a heartseeker? It’ll take him 5 over a period of 5 seconds to kill you now.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Warriors and thieves should do more damage than other professions. Nothing should be changed.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Honestly, the top end damage is so far above the bottom primarily because they decided to skip the single easiest balancing step available.

Each armor type should have three stats:
1. Offensive (Power, Precision, Condition Damage)
2. Defensive (Toughness, Vitality, Healing Power)
3. Percentage Boost (Critical Damage, Condition Duration, etc.)

This would allow players to still customize their game experience and playstyle without creating such a giant disparity between the “best” and “worst” gear.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

I don’t know what class or build you’re running, but if you think that 5k in PvE is a lot/enough (I do a lot more with my rifle, not even talking about melee weapons) then you have no idea how this game works. They would need to rework the whole core structure of the game.

Posted by: elprimo.4398

elprimo.4398

To be fair I don’t get healing power, vitality or toughness on full zerk.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

lets put a cap on healing

Leamas.5803

Warriors and thieves should do more damage than other professions.

Agreed, but with direct damage it keeps building, no matter how many you have…50…100 players can all cause damage all at the same time…no caps, no limitations. Condition damage is capped at 25 and a couple conditimancers can hit this easily. In a large battle like a dragon, where there are conceivably 50+ players and EVERYONE can cause conditions, those speced specifically for condition are punished for having very little DPS, while max power builds suffer no such caps. The caps should be removed.

I don’t think caps are the solution and I never did. They would only serve to frustrate max power users like they have with condition users, and would ultimately be a lot of hassle. That said, something has to be done to balance condition vs direct damage. The ideal solution, and I think probably the easiest to implement, would be to remove the all limitations on condition damage and give everyone their own stack. It also simplifies the math required to calculate the damage tremendously. I had suggested 15-20 in a different thread. This way, melee/DPS classes can get their occasional bleeds in, while a class speced for it, like a necromancer, can actually build and maintain an effective stack and contribute more effectively. This would also allow dungeon groups with multiple condition users to actually be successful. Again, this would only be really useful in PvE (Elites or better), dungeons and perhaps marginally better against keep lords in WvW.

The short of it, when certain professions can’t get dungeon groups because they can’t cause enough direct damage, something is broken that needs to be fixed.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

if they cap dmg im not gona play the game i wanna do crazy builds that i will crit for milions and u asking stupid things now CAP the dmg each class caped dmg we gona fight conditions all the time get real thac for single player games and its killing the progres that rpg shoud have

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

+1 idea such amaze much reasonable wow

Leamas.5803

if they cap dmg im not gona play the game i wanna do crazy builds that i will crit for milions and u asking stupid things now CAP the dmg each class caped dmg we gona fight conditions all the time get real thac for single player games and its killing the progres that rpg shoud have

Man…use some punctuation…I’m not even sure what this means…“get real thac for single player games and its killing the progres that rpg shoud have”

A good part of the player base is already capped which causes a terrible imbalance in groups and is severely limiting to group composition…that’s what this thread is about. The only way to fix it is to change how the cap is implemented, or implement another on direct damage. Group play has to be balanced because it’s ridiculous as it is now.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Capping damage is not a realistic suggestion. It’d be easier to buff condition damage than to rebalanced the entire game around a dps cap.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

+1 idea such amaze much reasonable wow

I beg your pardon?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Pandabro.8743

Pandabro.8743

No… Not only is it a band aid but it’s a very unfun bandaid.

It’s fun to see big numbers.

The better, more sustainable fix would be to buff supporting and bunkering so they are actually useful in PVE.

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

I totally support this – until they remove the condition cap.

It’s ridiculous that 5 direct damage classes will each do 100% of their solo dps in a group, but 5 condition damage classes will do like 20% of their solo dps.

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

well, well.. “unjust”… Unjust would be: having the exact same build, character class and equipment and do differing damage. Is that in game? Or phrased in a pop culture like manner: In soviet russia, damage caps you!

Posted by: whyme.3281

whyme.3281

Warriors and thieves should do more damage than other professions. Nothing should be changed.

Why warriors? They have high survivability, they should not be able to deal more damage than a ranger for example.

@Topic: Like that idea, but it would make some gear completely useless, because you only need a few items of for example Zerker gear to reach that damage cap.

I think the direct damage in general in GW2 is too high.

Leamas.5803

well, well.. “unjust”… Unjust would be: having the exact same build, character class and equipment and do differing damage. Is that in game? Or phrased in a pop culture like manner: In soviet russia, damage caps you!

Closer would be nice. As Ghostextechnica.3270, myself and others have pointed out the more direct damage users you add, the more damage is done, the more conditions users you add, any more than 2 really, the damage dealt remains the same and is essentially shared between all those dealing conditions. This is not balanced.