Is precursor crafting going to happen or not?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

I think everyone deserves an official response on this. It was said by a developer that it would happen by the end of this year but I don’t think there was ever an official statement on it.

I need to know this information because I need to know if I should continue to play the game or not in the hopes that I can actually get a precursor. I have 500g right now and I’m still continuing to grind but even if I get the 800g that is required to buy dusk off the TP I’m not going to spend that much gold for a precursor.

Some people might wonder why I wouldn’t spend that much gold on a precursor even if I had that much, so I’ll give you that answer. A precursor is random dumb luck RNG. There is no skill or effort involved in attaining one whatsoever other than putting a couple rares in the mystic forge and getting lucky by pushing a button. I don’t believe its worth putting 2 solid months of tedious grinding effort into something that is based on random dumb luck. I just don’t agree with that, I don’t think its worth it, which is why I want to know if I am wasting my time playing the game or not because if we end up not being able to craft a precursor by the end of this year it makes any effort I continue to put forth in the game a wasted effort

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, as a hardcore gamer I need some sort of goal in any game I’m playing and I made that goal for myself twilight. I’ve already put around 400g into the mystic forge and didn’t get a precursor so you’ll understand why I’m a bit bitter about the whole thing when there’s other people running around with two legendary’s because they didn’t have to spend 800g for a precursor.

Is precursor crafting coming or not. We all deserve a straight answer. Yes or no, that’s all I need. I would be willing to spend 300g in order to craft it but yeah 800g off the TP is asking way too much.

Please answer yes or no.

(edited by Shelledfade.6435)

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Yes, it should be within this year, maybe November when ascended armour crafting comes out.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Relevant: See “Legendary Gear and Precusors.”

A this-year release for new legendary gear and a way to build a precusor were definitely on the roadmap back in July. There’s a chance plans have changed (particularly if they’re taking a “We want to make sure it’s done right” approach, or it wasn’t high on priorities; things do slip,) but we’ve still got 2 1/2 months (~5 releases) left in the year, so it seems just as possible it’s going as planned.

A lot of other things mentioned in that post (ascended materials/crafting, champion rewards, dungeon bonus rewards, the return of Super Adventure Box, world boss revisions, and account magic find) have been executed, so that does give some credibility to the road map.

The other major thing on the list seems to be “new skills and traits.” No idea if that’s going to make the cut or not before the end of the year, or to what extent.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

It might happen. It might not. It makes sense to do both.

It makes sense because currently, RNG is the only way to get a precursor. With crafting, you could get one and those who are willing to do the work to craft one will be one step closer to a legendary.

It doesn’t make sense because in the long run people will just craft them and precursors won’t even have a market value. It’ll also flood the market with rares and exotics since many people who have the gold to play with the Mystic Forge won’t bother anymore. A few might, but the majority won’t.

Again, just speculations.

I’m hoping that they’ll be smart and make the craftable versions account bound.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Oh I get it alright, I was just trying to save you some pain and frustration. But I see what kind of player you are now, so nevermind. carry on chasing your carrots =)

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

I’m pretty sure they have problems internally tweaking the precursor scavenger hunt difficulty. Make it too easy, everyone will get a legendary. Make it too hard, everyone will complain about it. But I think it should be really, really, really, really, really HARD to get it, but there must be a reliable way to get it. One thing is sure : The RNG needs to go away.

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

Redenaz.8631

Crafting precusors will definitely have an effect on certain markets, which is one reason I could imagine for why it’s taken so long to implement, so as to figure out a way to reduce instability. Considering the disequilibrium caused by ascended crafting and the magic find revamp, I wouldn’t be surprised if they wait to see how the market handles ascended weapons.

For anyone worried that everyone will have a legendary once precursors are made more accessible, don’t forget that getting a precursor is only half the battle in converting it to a legendary, and since it was RNG or piles of gold, it’s generally the less-interesting half.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Crafting precusors will definitely have an effect on certain markets, which is one reason I could imagine for why it’s taken so long to implement, so as to figure out a way to reduce instability. Considering the disequilibrium caused by ascended crafting and the magic find revamp,, I wouldn’t be surprised if they wait to see how the market handles ascended weapons.

It’s gotten way out of hand of the free-market, it should not have been 800g for a precursor. You could get them for 10-50g in the early months.

Shelledfade.6435

I’m pretty sure they have problems internally tweaking the precursor scavenger hunt difficulty. Make it too easy, everyone will get a legendary. Make it too hard, everyone will complain about it. But I think it should be really, really, really, really, really HARD to get it, but there must be a reliable way to get it. One thing is sure : The RNG needs to go away.

I think it needs to be hard but not overly ridiculous. It’s already hard enough to actually craft the legendary itself. I do agree that if we are able to craft precursor it needs to be account bound.

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

It’s called inflation. Sure back when the game was released, precursors were 10g but back then how many did you know running around with 10-20g? Longer a game has been out, the more devalued its currency becomes.

As for precursors, me personally, I don’t think they should make them craftable. Keep them the way they are. They are not required for the game so leave them as a “I want” item and make people grind/work for them. If they do make them craftable, they need to make them a VERY long and involved process.

As to the OP, the value of precursors right now are based on the demand and what people are willing to pay. If no one pays the asking price, they will sit on the TP or people will be forced to lower the prices. Simple as that. I have crafted Juggernaut, Sunrise and Kudzu and bought all the precursors. Sure it was a grind and it sucked but at the end, to me it was worth it and I enjoy them. I do agree though that 800g is kind of high but if that’s what people are paying, then you will need to pay that or gamble the mystic forge or just forget about it and play the game and if you get one, great, if not, oh well. I too am a hardcore player and like I said, I just sucked it up, grinded and bought them. I’m atm debating on buying either a zap or the lover to make either the sword for my guard or shortbow for my ranger, still can’t decide.

As for quitting the game if you they don’t put in craftable precursors and you needing “goals”. Ok so say you make a legendary, then what? Your goals have all been met since it sounds like this is the final one. You will just quit anyways right?

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

It doesn’t make sense because in the long run people will just craft them and precursors won’t even have a market value.

This is something that I am afraid of. Everything on my account has been paid for by the people who bought their precursors off the TP. Once they introduce precursor crafting and slowly all precursors drop to 200g, how am I supposed to make money off the forge? 200g is being generous. What if they drop even lower? Wtf Anet don’t do this to me

Redenaz.8631

I think that’s part of the reason they announced precursor crafting so far in advance, so the market would have time to adjust and plan for it. If they just added it out of the blue, it could cost people significantly, but we’ve known it was coming for months and months now.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

It doesn’t make sense because in the long run people will just craft them and precursors won’t even have a market value.

This is something that I am afraid of. Everything on my account has been paid for by the people who bought their precursors off the TP. Once they introduce precursor crafting and slowly all precursors drop to 200g, how am I supposed to make money off the forge? 200g is being generous. What if they drop even lower? Wtf Anet don’t do this to me

Are we supposed to care that you won’t be able to or can’t make money off of other peoples backs?

As far as I’m concerned precursors should never have been allowed to be sold on the market in the first place.

I’m glad that people who have thousands of gold just because they’re lucky will soon see the floor falling out from underneath them.

Balkanwarrior.5132

Are we supposed to care that you won’t be able to or can’t make money off of other peoples backs?

As far as I’m concerned precursors should never have been allowed to be sold on the market in the first place.

I’m glad that people who have thousands of gold just because they’re lucky will soon see the floor falling out from underneath them.

Nothing brings a bigger smile to my face seeing that red arrow on my BLTP notifying me that somebody who probably grinded 800g for Dusk has just made me even richer thanks to a few mouse clicks.

Also, you only say they shouldn’t be allowed to have been sold cause you never got a precursor. If you had gotten 1 as a drop you would probably come onto the forums saying something like, ‘’You should seriously let us sell these things. When am i going to make a legendary staff if I main warrior?’’

Btw my floors cant fall out from beneath me. I got marble floors in my Divinities reach mansion. Pleb

fellyn.5083

Nothing brings a bigger smile to my face seeing that red arrow on my BLTP notifying me that somebody who probably grinded 800g for Dusk has just made me even richer thanks to a few mouse clicks.

Also, you only say they shouldn’t be allowed to have been sold cause you never got a precursor. If you had gotten 1 as a drop you would probably come onto the forums saying something like, ‘’You should seriously let us sell these things. When am i going to make a legendary staff if I main warrior?’’

Btw my floors cant fall out from beneath me. I got marble floors in my Divinities reach mansion. Pleb

You assume a lot, most of it wrong. You’re exactly the kind of player that precursor crafting, whatever form it takes, is designed to combat.

Nothing brings a bigger smile to my face than knowing players like you are going to lose their strangle hold over the market when precursor crafting hits.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

I would like to know what happened to the precursor scavenger hunt idea

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

I would like to know what happened to the precursor scavenger hunt idea

Anet probably figured it wouldn’t bring $$$$$ so they trashed it.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

I’m willing to bet current legendary precursors will be untouched, and
that only the new slew of them that are added will use a new sort of crafting
feature for them.

Shelledfade.6435

feature for them.

that would be absolute crap. All precursor should be available to craft. They should just make them account bound.

RNG for precursor should have never been there in the first place so to hell with the current market for precursors anyway. There are barely any on the market and nobody buys them anyway because they are way too overpriced.

(edited by Shelledfade.6435)

Posted by: Silver.3284

Silver.3284

At least be consistent. Either it is RNG, so there can’t be any people consistently making money out of them (cause RNG is by nature not consistent), or there are ppl consistently making money out of it, which means they have found a way around the RNG – meaning they make money not just out of “dumb luck” but out of some sort of planned activity, whatever that is.

But you just cant have people consistently making money out of RNG.

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

One thing you must realize is that precursor crafting will not be “free” as some people might perceive it. Crafting does not exist in a vacuum. Look at current Ascended weapon leveling. It will take you time to get (or buy) mats needed to level up crafting to 500 and then craft a weapon. Or… instead of leveling you could just sell the mats you gathered and buy some cheap precursor from TP (not Dusk, but Dusk is overpriced as everyone and their dogs runs zerker warriors with Twilights). So while crafting a precursor will likely by cheaper than buying it of TP, I would guess you will still be looking at a few hundred gold investment. It will just be more reliable than precursor lotto. But then again, some methods of gold farming are also reliable. You could use one of those methods and then afford a TP precursor. Either way, dont expect to craft your precursor by just doing some dailies and chopping few trees in Orr.

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

The problem with making precursors easier to get is that you directly make legendaries easier to get. And they are already very commonly seen.

I would be fine with making precursors easier to get if they also increased the mats needed for the other parts of the legendaries like the gifts.

Personally, the hardest part BY FAR for me when I crafted my Bolt was just getting the gold for the precursor. I don’t think it should be that way.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

Posted by: Treborlavok.3504

Treborlavok.3504

Lmfao you can’t be serious… You’re serious…?

The entire way they implemented legendary weapons was idiotic. You should never have been able to sell pre cursor and you definitely shouldn’t be able to sell legendaries.

The pre cursor should’ve come from some big nice long treacherous quest like the story line leading all across tyria, gathering components and hearts and scales of dragons, etc etc. Then you make the journey to the hell forge to craft your legendary weapon and then and only then, would having legendaries, be an honor.

The way it sits now, any chump that can afford one will buy one. If not then we have to grind for mats and gold to make our own… What a journey and achievement that is… -_-

I hope they implement pre cursor crafting just for the simple fact that ppl like you, with your mind set, will be kitten ed off. Hey you play the market and played it well. Now guess what, you can still play it, just not the precursor market. Granted you’ll still be able to make gold from them because just like ascended weapons, people don’t want to craft for them. The only thing pre cursor crafting will do is level the market on precursors. It’s around what, 200-400g starting from 400 crafting to be able to craft an ascended weapon with or without buying the mats…?

Look for precursor crafting to be around the same, if not slightly cheaper because it’s not the legendary but just a piece of the legendary. I’d assume it should be around 100-200g to craft a pre cursor. And I’m all for it.

Sylvari Engi- Wait! Don’t leaf!
Asura Ele- Sir Im afraid youre short. Why is it always short jokes. No, youre short on the bill.

Treborlavok.3504

The problem with making precursors easier to get is that you directly make legendaries easier to get. And they are already very commonly seen.

I would be fine with making precursors easier to get if they also increased the mats needed for the other parts of the legendaries like the gifts.

Personally, the hardest part BY FAR for me when I crafted my Bolt was just getting the gold for the precursor. I don’t think it should be that way.

/spoiler… 90% of people running around with legendaries can’t even master the simple mechanic of dodging. Hence why I saw all of them constantly going down and dying during the crown pavilion farm events.

Pre cursors need to be easier to attain.

Crafting the components of the legendaries are already enough of a grind, in a non-Grindy game… Most people don’t want to bother with doing map completion let alone get the gift of battle from wvw. Now let’s go and farm and grind for t6 mats and hit up that dungeon path over and over and over and over, again!! Now who actually wants to do that kind of mindless grind… Not many people. And to top it off, they don’t have to because if they want to just save up the cash they can simply buy the legendary and let someone else do the work for them! Now that’s an achievement!!

Like I said on my post above, pre cursor and legendaries should’ve never been sellable. Instead of the annoying story mode and waste of screen space the tab for it is. They should’ve made the road to crafting your legendary the big quest/story line.

Asura Ele- Sir Im afraid youre short. Why is it always short jokes. No, youre short on the bill.

Balkanwarrior.5132

Lmfao you can’t be serious… You’re serious…?

The entire way they implemented legendary weapons was idiotic. You should never have been able to sell pre cursor and you definitely shouldn’t be able to sell legendaries.

The pre cursor should’ve come from some big nice long treacherous quest like the story line leading all across tyria, gathering components and hearts and scales of dragons, etc etc. Then you make the journey to the hell forge to craft your legendary weapon and then and only then, would having legendaries, be an honor.

The way it sits now, any chump that can afford one will buy one. If not then we have to grind for mats and gold to make our own… What a journey and achievement that is… -_-

I hope they implement pre cursor crafting just for the simple fact that ppl like you, with your mind set, will be kitten ed off. Hey you play the market and played it well. Now guess what, you can still play it, just not the precursor market. Granted you’ll still be able to make gold from them because just like ascended weapons, people don’t want to craft for them. The only thing pre cursor crafting will do is level the market on precursors. It’s around what, 200-400g starting from 400 crafting to be able to craft an ascended weapon with or without buying the mats…?

Look for precursor crafting to be around the same, if not slightly cheaper because it’s not the legendary but just a piece of the legendary. I’d assume it should be around 100-200g to craft a pre cursor. And I’m all for it.

Just face it, a legendary weapon will never be legendary. This epic quest you suggest? It will turn into the new map completion requirement within 2 weeks. Keep in mind that you’re asking Anet to give you a treacherous journey to craft a fisher price toy. They can timegate it, they can add as many account bound mats as they want, they can add an entirely new crafting profession that lets you craft precursors, but only after you spent the 500g required to level it to 400.

Play the market? Lol. I got my first precursor with my last 20g. I made a few choice short term investments that anybody with half a brain coulda made and it took off from there.

Also, 100-200g to craft a pre. Yeah stop wishfully thinking bud. If they were that cheap and craftable with even a month of timegating, ‘’any chump’’ would be able to have more than 1.

Sounds like you just don’t like the fact that I’v made all my gold off the people who grinded for some particle effects. I guess you don’t like my mindset or attitude either, but i’m not exactly here to give out a dating profile. I just like watching people whine about precursors. Even better when they don’t like my attitude and send me hateful messages in game after linking 6 pre’s in map chat.

:^)

Treborlavok.3504

[/quote]
Just face it, a legendary weapon will never be legendary. This epic quest you suggest? It will turn into the new map completion requirement within 2 weeks. Keep in mind that you’re asking Anet to give you a treacherous journey to craft a fisher price toy. They can timegate it, they can add as many account bound mats as they want, they can add an entirely new crafting profession that lets you craft precursors, but only after you spent the 500g required to level it to 400.

Play the market? Lol. I got my first precursor with my last 20g. I made a few choice short term investments that anybody with half a brain coulda made and it took off from there.

Also, 100-200g to craft a pre. Yeah stop wishfully thinking bud. If they were that cheap and craftable with even a month of timegating, ‘’any chump’’ would be able to have more than 1.

Sounds like you just don’t like the fact that I’v made all my gold off the people who grinded for some particle effects. I guess you don’t like my mindset or attitude either, but i’m not exactly here to give out a dating profile. I just like watching people whine about precursors. Even better when they don’t like my attitude and send me hateful messages in game after linking 6 pre’s in map chat.

:^)[/quote]

The only reason time gating is even in gw2 is because they don’t want to lose their HC crowd that could knockout getting all the mats and what not needed for said items too quickly and getting bored. Legendaries aren’t just a cool effect anymore. They actually have some merit in the game now. Which is why I’m taking my time to get one. Will I buy a precursor, hell no. Having or not having a legendary isn’t game breaking like it is in some other games. We have no true raids and quests to get the best end game gear that only the truely HC of players can attain. Which I’m grateful for because I don’t have that kind of time on my hands anymore. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like the fact of having that “carrot on a stick” to be able to shoot for. I just think they did it entirely wrong as a whole. As it sits now, any HC player that can spend hours a day grinding and farming can get a legendary in a matter of days or weeks… So what’s your point?

You seem to think that a pre cursor should cost as much as an ascended weapon. New crafting profession, yes that makes sense-_-… Seeing as the pre cursor is just a piece of the legendary weapon, no. The pre cursors are only at their current price because a group of players monopolized the market for them. That’s it. If all that mattered was stats, people would entirely forgo legendaries and just craft an ascended weapon for 200-400g and give the finger to idiots still trying to sell pre cursors for 800g. Which is already happening, and some people didn’t spend a dime and just got their ascended item as a drop, like I did.

I honestly could careless how anyone has made their gold. You play the market, that’s cool and good on you. I’ve played how I have and been perfectly content since launch;). I just think its funny when people like you think they’re hot stuff for doing something “anyone with half a brain could do.”

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

would be great,

would be even better if there is a cash shop item that makes zommoros cough out my money

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

Is there any news about new legendary skins after that “looking ahead gw2 in 2013” article?

Balkanwarrior.5132

:^)[/quote]

The only reason time gating is even in gw2 is because they don’t want to lose their HC crowd that could knockout getting all the mats and what not needed for said items too quickly and getting bored. Legendaries aren’t just a cool effect anymore. They actually have some merit in the game now. Which is why I’m taking my time to get one. Will I buy a precursor, hell no. Having or not having a legendary isn’t game breaking like it is in some other games. We have no true raids and quests to get the best end game gear that only the truely HC of players can attain. Which I’m grateful for because I don’t have that kind of time on my hands anymore. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like the fact of having that “carrot on a stick” to be able to shoot for. I just think they did it entirely wrong as a whole. As it sits now, any HC player that can spend hours a day grinding and farming can get a legendary in a matter of days or weeks… So what’s your point?

You seem to think that a pre cursor should cost as much as an ascended weapon. New crafting profession, yes that makes sense-_-… Seeing as the pre cursor is just a piece of the legendary weapon, no. The pre cursors are only at their current price because a group of players monopolized the market for them. That’s it. If all that mattered was stats, people would entirely forgo legendaries and just craft an ascended weapon for 200-400g and give the finger to idiots still trying to sell pre cursors for 800g. Which is already happening, and some people didn’t spend a dime and just got their ascended item as a drop, like I did.

I honestly could careless how anyone has made their gold. You play the market, that’s cool and good on you. I’ve played how I have and been perfectly content since launch;). I just think its funny when people like you think they’re hot stuff for doing something “anyone with half a brain could do.”[/quote]

The new crafting profession idea I suggested was at best a controversial suggestion. People want a chance to get a precursor that doesn’t rely on luck so why not give precursors their own crafting discipline. Somebody would still come onto the forums and say ‘’Precursors are now craftable….but still cost too much money!!!!’’ Or, ‘’Really Anet, 6 weeks timegating for a precursor!?!?’’

The line about ‘’anyone with half a brain could do’’ is me trying to imply that it doesn’t take a genius to see very obvious price changes. Add in a bit of speculation and a tad bit of knowledge of how an economy works, and voila. Easy money from using your brain for 5 minutes. Precursors have always been a big issue for some chasing their legendary and I love the fact that I am able to profit solely off being luckier than the majority of the playerbase. Hey, I wasn’t the person who bought out all the Dusks and increased the price 300g. In fact, you should thank me. The last 10 precursors I sold were either to highest buy orders or listed at a very reasonable price. That is, as reasonable as you can get when it costs 800g.

Btw, what merit do legendary weps have now?

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

Crafting precursors sounds, on the surface, like the “thing to do” however, (playing devils advocate here,) there needs to be a chance to fail.

Right now, like it or not, the sale of precursors and legendaries drive the economy more than anyone realizes. Almost every item in the TP has been put there because someone needs the money for (insert shiney here.)

If precursors became “guaranteed” craftable items without a chance to fail, the drive behind a large portion of our in-game economy would collapse. Yes, the mats necessary to craft them will go up, but in general, the rest could take a nosedive and be almost unsellable. Why would I buy a yellow or gold item if I could craft a precursor?

I believe this is why they haven’t implemented crafted precursors as of yet. They’re trying to figure out how to deal with the influx of that many precursors and how it will affect the in-game economy.

oh, and @Balkanwarrior: The merit that legendaries have RIGHT NOW is that it gives some people a goal. Like them, hate them, or don’t give a kitten, it is the ultimate goal for many people to have the BiS gear, even if it’s only the best by a half point.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

A legendary is supposed to be prestigious…why should everyone have one? It gives you no statistical gain.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I hope precursor crafting comes out soon and has some reasonable requirements. Anything above 100g as a cost is way too much in my opinion and only super farmers or lucky people have enough money to trade with that kind of money.

For example, seeing all precursors of a particular legendary (Spark) disappear in a matter of a few hours, then get posted back at a +100g price, well it’s something that needs to be addressed/fixed.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

I’m pretty sure they have problems internally tweaking the precursor scavenger hunt difficulty. Make it too easy, everyone will get a legendary. Make it too hard, everyone will complain about it.

Oh, in that case, they should just make it too hard. Everyone complains all the time anyway so there’s no downside to making it too hard.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

A legendary is supposed to be prestigious…why should everyone have one? It gives you no statistical gain.

Actually yes it does.

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

Crafting precursors sounds, on the surface, like the “thing to do” however, (playing devils advocate here,) there needs to be a chance to fail.

Right now, like it or not, the sale of precursors and legendaries drive the economy more than anyone realizes. Almost every item in the TP has been put there because someone needs the money for (insert shiney here.)

If precursors became “guaranteed” craftable items without a chance to fail, the drive behind a large portion of our in-game economy would collapse. Yes, the mats necessary to craft them will go up, but in general, the rest could take a nosedive and be almost unsellable. Why would I buy a yellow or gold item if I could craft a precursor?

I believe this is why they haven’t implemented crafted precursors as of yet. They’re trying to figure out how to deal with the influx of that many precursors and how it will affect the in-game economy.

oh, and @Balkanwarrior: The merit that legendaries have RIGHT NOW is that it gives some people a goal. Like them, hate them, or don’t give a kitten, it is the ultimate goal for many people to have the BiS gear, even if it’s only the best by a half point.

Those are some very good points. Especially about how precursors drive the economy.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

feature for them.

I’m of the same mind on this…

Would be ideal to have a new set of Legendaries that are crafted. This would preserve the existing market and “exclusivity” of the current set, while creating access to an alternative Legendary weapon set. Stat-wise, all would be equal.

fellyn.5083

I’m not seeing the problem here? It’s not like it still won’t take a monumental amount of effort and dedication to get a legendary.

I’m not sure why people think only a select few deserve to have a legendary. And “because it’s supposed to be rare” is a stupid answer.

People worry way to much about what other people have and how much they can profit instead of what should be fun. Throwing an unending supply of junk into a magic toilet is not fun, simple as that.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I think it should be a quest line that requires a few criteria to initiate.

1)100% world Completion – on that character
2)Dungeon Master
3)Master Crafter
4)Over 5,000 Achievement Points
5)2000 Badges of Honor

This would make people just play the game and every aspect of it. You could only do the quest line once per character that has 100% world completion. All weapons received this method would be instantly account bound and once the legendary was made it would be made account bound on craft so people could not make money off of them. This way there would still be a decent market for the RNG dropped precursors.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

fellyn.5083

I think it should be a quest line that requires a few criteria to initiate.

1)100% world Completion – on that character
2)Dungeon Master
3)Master Crafter
4)Over 5,000 Achievement Points
5)2000 Badges of Honor

This would make people just play the game and every aspect of it. You could only do the quest line once per character that has 100% world completion. All weapons received this method would be instantly account bound and once the legendary was made it would be made account bound on craft so people could not make money off of them. This way there would still be a decent market for the RNG dropped precursors.

Why such arbitrarily random requisites? You can get four of those things on the list well before you ever get to 5000 AP so I don’t see how any of that fits. You may as well just cut it down to one – 5000 AP.

And you already need to have done most of those things anyways (except for the AP and dungeon master) to make a legendary so the list makes even less sense.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I think the crafted precursors are not the same as the current ones in the game. I think they will introduce a second, entirely different, set of legendary weapons which use the crafted precursors. Based upon their current implementation of ascended, the crafted precursors would be account-bound immediately so they could not be sold.

That would keep the current precursor market in tact with little impact. The volumes in that market are small so I wouldn’t expect to see a price drop even if half of the potential buyers change course and go with crafted precursors.

Finally, I think the crafting of the new precursors will be suitably painful that many players will still go the “old” route and buy the first generation off the TP (or craft in the MF).

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

You would think people would just get things but I guess you have to break it down…

1) For the quest line to be available to that particular character hey need the gold star next to their name. This will prevent people from doing it on multiple characters without exploring the whole world

2)Dungeons may not be all to difficult but finishing all the paths would help with your legendary status hence deserving of a legendary item.

3)You don’t need to be a master crafter to make a legendary just of a few particular ones pending on what item you are going for. But being a master of all trades would also help with your legendary status hence deserving of a legendary item.

4)This is to restrict people from just farming the first two and having them actually go out and play the game and accomplish tasks like achievements helping with your legendary status hence deserving of a legendary item.

5)2000 badges of honor because you need some sort of monetary cost to get the item and what better than showing your skill in the fields of wvw. Earning 2000 badges would help your legendary status hence deserving of a legendary item.

After achieving all of those things you would be able to activate a quest line that at the end of that quest line you would be rewarded with your precursor only truly costing you 2000 badges of honor along with what it took you to become a master crafter.

The list that makes “no sense” has to deal with your character becoming a legend. Not anet gifting precursors to people because they feel they deserve them. Just a heads up I don’t even meet all the criteria on this list but I think it seems fair.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

Quoted directly from Anet’s blog post https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

Legendary Gear and Precursors
We aren’t quite ready to go into all the details here, but what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013. Building your precursor will require a large amount of the new crafting material rewards listed above, 500 in crafting, and likely a combination of other items earned for completing more specific content in the game.

Clearly crafting a precursor is going to be a bit more arduous than crafting an acended weapon. Account bound or not, I don’t think it will ruin the economy. Regardless the demand for the rng precursors will go down to a degree, and therefore will cost a little less, but I don’t think they’ll suddenly drop to 20g, and personally a drop to 300-500g for a precursor instead of 800g, would be a good thing. But it doesn’t sound like crafting a precursor is going to be a walk in the park either, and still rather costly. I’m absolutely certain that Anet doesn’t want to completely undermine the value of the rng precursors, but give a way to work towards it, just like you can the rest of the legendary, that isn’t just farming endless amounts of gold.

fellyn.5083

You would think people would just get things but I guess you have to break it down…

1) For the quest line to be available to that particular character hey need the gold star next to their name. This will prevent people from doing it on multiple characters without exploring the whole world

2)Dungeons may not be all to difficult but finishing all the paths would help with your legendary status hence deserving of a legendary item.

3)You don’t need to be a master crafter to make a legendary just of a few particular ones pending on what item you are going for. But being a master of all trades would also help with your legendary status hence deserving of a legendary item.

4)This is to restrict people from just farming the first two and having them actually go out and play the game and accomplish tasks like achievements helping with your legendary status hence deserving of a legendary item.

5)2000 badges of honor because you need some sort of monetary cost to get the item and what better than showing your skill in the fields of wvw. Earning 2000 badges would help your legendary status hence deserving of a legendary item.

After achieving all of those things you would be able to activate a quest line that at the end of that quest line you would be rewarded with your precursor only truly costing you 2000 badges of honor along with what it took you to become a master crafter.

The list that makes “no sense” has to deal with your character becoming a legend. Not anet gifting precursors to people because they feel they deserve them. Just a heads up I don’t even meet all the criteria on this list but I think it seems fair.

Just putting this out there…why do I need to know how to make a leather coat or a veggie pizza to forge a sword? It literally makes no sense.

I get what you’re trying to go for, but I think we can come up with something new that doesn’t reuse things that are already used in the creation of a legendary weapon.

If anyone wants to see how it should be done if it has to be done at all look up the mini black moa from GW1.

Anet is capable of making a fun quest if they decide to put the effort in to do so.

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

You will absolutely see a way to create a precursor available in the future. As detailed in our plans for the second half of the year here:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

As mentioned at the end of the blog, as always things are subject to change as test and prepare various systems. Most of the stuff covered in the blog you’ve already seen implemented, or steps towards being implemented, however the precursor building (and corresponding additional legendary items) is the one highest at risk to not make it this year.

It is still something we absolutely plan to do!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Thank you for the update Colin. Personally, I say take as long as you need to get it right.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

so that means no precursor making this year?

*looks at zommoros, oh man, he’s gonna cheat my money again

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Not necessarily. He simply said its the greatest risk for not making the year end deadline, not that they wouldn’t. Honestly, I feel that they should simply take the time they need to get it right, rather then just rushing something out the door to make people happy. If they miss the deadline, so what. He’s stated that it is something they are doing, I’m sure a few extra months wouldn’t kill us if they needed more time to fine tune.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Not necessarily. It means that do to workload, Precurser making and other Legendaries is one of the two things pushed back in priority. If they can get to these items and verify they are ready for the live client, then they will be here before 2014. If not, they will be pushed into next years “To Do List”

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Not necessarily. He simply said its the greatest risk for not making the year end deadline, not that they wouldn’t. Honestly, I feel that they should simply take the time they need to get it right, rather then just rushing something out the door to make people happy. If they miss the deadline, so what. He’s stated that it is something they are doing, I’m sure a few extra months wouldn’t kill us if they needed more time to fine tune.

OMG o_O, We just read each others mind…

LanfearShadowflame.3189

OMG o_O, We just read each others mind…

I was just thinking roughly the same thing. Lol, I was going to respond with something similar. “We seem to be well in tune today” Hahaha