Is precursor crafting going to happen or not?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

so that means no precursor making this year?

Not necessarily. He simply said its the greatest risk for not making the year end deadline, not that they wouldn’t. Honestly, I feel that they should simply take the time they need to get it right, rather then just rushing something out the door to make people happy. If they miss the deadline, so what. He’s stated that it is something they are doing, I’m sure a few extra months wouldn’t kill us if they needed more time to fine tune.

OMG o_O, We just read each others mind…

I was just thinking roughly the same thing. Lol, I was going to respond with something similar. “We seem to be well in tune today” Hahaha

High Five! Teamwork!

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

Not necessarily. He simply said its the greatest risk for not making the year end deadline, not that they wouldn’t. Honestly, I feel that they should simply take the time they need to get it right, rather then just rushing something out the door to make people happy. If they miss the deadline, so what. He’s stated that it is something they are doing, I’m sure a few extra months wouldn’t kill us if they needed more time to fine tune.

What he basically said is that it is not going to happen. Colin never answers any question directly. So don’t expect it this year.

Antara.3189

What he basically said is that it is not going to happen. Colin never answers any question directly. So don’t expect it this year.

No, what he said is what he said. The reason they do not answer questions directly, is because if they say “Yes, it’s going to be here this year”, and it’s not, then players get very disgruntled about “Broken Promises”. If you are familiar with the “Video”, than you know how long players hold grudges

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Maybe always means No, thats what I’ve learned.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No, what he said is what he said. The reason they do not answer questions directly, is because if they say “Yes, it’s going to be here this year”, and it’s not, then players get very disgruntled about “Broken Promises”. If you are familiar with the “Video”, than you know how long players hold grudges

chuckle

People are still holding grudges from things said about GW1 that never made it. They learned ages ago to never speak plainly to their player base. It just bites them in the kitten. Hell, even when they do meet deadlines, it still bites them in the kitten. Can’t win for losing…

@Xcom: See, this is why communication is not a black and white thing. You interpret what he said one way, I (being a developer myself) interpret it another way. Without further clarification (which we won’t get, because they can’t be that clear with us for aforementioned reasons) neither of us is right, neither of us is wrong. It simply is what it is, and all we can do is what and see….

Maybe always means No, thats what I’ve learned.

They used ‘maybe’ with the LFG tool as well…and we got that… Maybe simply means ‘maybe’

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

A post from the devs :O

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Xcom.1926

Without further clarification (which we won’t get, because they can’t be that clear with us for aforementioned reasons) neither of us is right, neither of us is wrong. It simply is what it is, and all we can do is what and see….

Off course we don’t know for sure. But “highest risk for not making it this year” is a nice way to say no. So don’t expect it, or you will be disappointed.

If he said something like “our plan is to release it this year but we don’t know for sure as it needs testing” that is a maybe.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Without further clarification (which we won’t get, because they can’t be that clear with us for aforementioned reasons) neither of us is right, neither of us is wrong. It simply is what it is, and all we can do is what and see….

Off course we don’t know for sure. But “highest risk for not making it this year” is a nice way to say no. So don’t expect it, or you will be disappointed.

If he said something like “our plan is to release it this year but we don’t know for sure as it needs testing” that is a maybe.

Yeah, you got to look at the exact way he said it, and then think of other ways he could have stated stuff. Thats why I never really read anything from Colin. He’s always been too vague and wordy.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

You will absolutely see a way to create a precursor available in the future. As detailed in our plans for the second half of the year here:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

As mentioned at the end of the blog, as always things are subject to change as test and prepare various systems. Most of the stuff covered in the blog you’ve already seen implemented, or steps towards being implemented, however the precursor building (and corresponding additional legendary items) is the one highest at risk to not make it this year.

It is still something we absolutely plan to do!

Notice he continues to say ‘build’ and never ‘craft’. I don’t believe this to be unintentional.

You may now speculate.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

He did say that plans may change depending on how testing goes. “At highest risk” is simply development jargon. It means exactly what it says it means

ie – based on workload, or testing, or platform changes, or any other number of reasons this specific item is ‘at risk’ of not meeting its predefined deadline.

This does not mean that it won’t make it’s deadline. Conversely it also does not mean that it will. It depends on a lot of factors:
What are the bottlenecks being encountered?
Are there easy solutions to those bottlenecks?
Are there additional resources that could be temporarily reassigned to help with those issues?
Should additional man hours be required in order to meet the deadline, or is it more cost effective to simply push it out?
If additional man hours are required (ie overtime), how much would be necessary?
Could the deadline still be met in a reasonable tested fashion, or would it be safer to wait until a later deployment time?

I’m actually dealing with something very similar at work right now, as we work on migrating a section of our client’s desktop application to a web application. It’s never ‘simple.’

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Have to go with Xcom on this. Anet employees are professionals when it comes to making statements that are either vague or can’t be taken as a direct answer.
It’s not just the wording of the statement, it’s the history of such statements. Personally I think the post was made to string people along and keep them logging in. If they came out and said “no”, people would quit GW2 simply because they refuse to play Anet’s stupid gambling game.
They are stringing people along to keep numbers up.
They are more than welcome to prove me wrong. I would like to be wrong on this one.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

You will absolutely see a way to create a precursor available in the future. As detailed in our plans for the second half of the year here:

As mentioned at the end of the blog, as always things are subject to change as test and prepare various systems. Most of the stuff covered in the blog you’ve already seen implemented, or steps towards being implemented, however the precursor building (and corresponding additional legendary items) is the one highest at risk to not make it this year.

Exactly where does making condition damage function, as you claimed to have a solution for nine months ago, fall in that list of priorities?

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

So I take it, we will only be able to craft precursors for new legendary items? I suspected the system would contain all legendary weapons as well. No?

Posted by: Razon.8153

Razon.8153

precursor building (and corresponding additional legendary items)

Does this mean current legendaries will NOT get precursor building?

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

It never ceases to amaze me how people can read something and still only see the thing they wanted to see.

Colin said “yes.” In fact, he said “absolutely” – twice. It WILL happen. Period. That’s all there is to that statement. The OP asked a question (“is precursor [creation] coming or not”) and it was answered (“absolutely”). Definitively. It is coming. Period.

The only ambiguity is whether or not it will happen before January first of 2014. The answer there was that there’s a good chance it will not. It’s not a yes or a no, but a chance that it may or may not happen in the next 2 1/2 months. But it will happen. Period. Absolutely.

The only other things you can infer from his statement are that precursor building will probably not involve the current crafting system (since he went out of his way to avoid the word crafting) – but then again, it might – and that additional legendary items seem to be tied into the precursor building update in some way (but there’s no reason to think current precursors would be left out of any precursor building system – in fact, there’s every reason to think they would be included) – but then again, they may not.

But the one thing we know for sure is that it is coming. Absolutely.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Notice he continues to say ‘build’ and never ‘craft’. I don’t believe this to be unintentional.

You may now speculate.

I thought the same thing and frankly prefer that to crafting. It was mentioned quite a while ago about a scavenger hunt. I love this idea personally as long as you can “build” different precursers with roughly the same amount of effort.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Antara.3189

He did say that plans may change depending on how testing goes. “At highest risk” is simply development jargon. It means exactly what it says it means

ie – based on workload, or testing, or platform changes, or any other number of reasons this specific item is ‘at risk’ of not meeting its predefined deadline.

This does not mean that it won’t make it’s deadline. Conversely it also does not mean that it will. It depends on a lot of factors:
What are the bottlenecks being encountered?
Are there easy solutions to those bottlenecks?
Are there additional resources that could be temporarily reassigned to help with those issues?
Should additional man hours be required in order to meet the deadline, or is it more cost effective to simply push it out?
If additional man hours are required (ie overtime), how much would be necessary?
Could the deadline still be met in a reasonable tested fashion, or would it be safer to wait until a later deployment time?

I’m actually dealing with something very similar at work right now, as we work on migrating a section of our client’s desktop application to a web application. It’s never ‘simple.’

Guess some will never understand

Migrating to a cloud based solution eh? Sounds like fun

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Migrating to a cloud based solution eh? Sounds like fun

It’s not. Oh dear gods it’s not. We’ll leave it at that lol.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

It never ceases to amaze me how people can read something and still only see the thing they wanted to see.

Colin said “yes.” In fact, he said “absolutely” – twice. It WILL happen. Period. That’s all there is to that statement. The OP asked a question (“is precursor [creation] coming or not”) and it was answered (“absolutely”). Definitively. It is coming. Period.

The only ambiguity is whether or not it will happen before January first of 2014. The answer there was that there’s a good chance it will not. It’s not a yes or a no, but a chance that it may or may not happen in the next 2 1/2 months. But it will happen. Period. Absolutely.

News Flash: The sun is going to expand and consume the inner planets too.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Xcom.1926

The OP specifically asked if it is happening by the end of the year. No one is reading anything into it.

Posted by: MrIllusion.5304

MrIllusion.5304

Unlike permanent dungeon paths or revamped boss fights, changes to precursors will have a large impact on the economy. We’ve already seen how something as simple as introducing Tequatl can create demand surge for Soldier gear, when non-critable bosses have been in place since launch.

If Anet is going to center precursors around crafting, I’d rather they take a second look at the crafting system first (read: revamp the kitten thing), and then build precursor crafting on top of that.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

words

TL;DR Not this year.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Zlociutki.9165

Zlociutki.9165

Colin what about:
- “New Skill and Traits”
- “New fractals”
- “Ascended Armors”
- “New legendary weapons and backpack” – “On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013”

Are these things also moved to 2014?

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

So one of the most requested features since almost release and its the one you guys decide to push back. GG…

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

Parisalchuk.9230

Anyone remember this lovely tidbit when Dusk was under 300 gold

We have been watching the prices climbing on Legendary precursors and share your concerns about some of them becoming too expensive. We will continue to monitor the situation and will make any adjustments we feel are necessary.

Obviously you didnt share those concerns or we wouldnt be staring down 800+ gold precursors.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

’tis gon be gud!

Where are my “manifesto is a lie!!” “a.net lies again!” friends?

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

It should not take this long to fix this massive problem.

Only if it really is a problem. And that’s pretty much a matter of opinion.

What isn’t opinion is that they have committed to eventually implementing an alternative.

Be it warranted or not….

Parisalchuk.9230

What isn’t opinion is that they have committed to eventually implementing an alternative.

Be it warranted or not….

Read my quote above from Lindsey – they admitted it was a problem 1 year ago, its no longer a matter of opinion.

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

We have been watching the prices climbing on Legendary precursors and share your concerns about some of them becoming too expensive. We will continue to monitor the situation and will make any adjustments we feel are necessary.

Obviously you didnt share those concerns or we wouldnt be staring down 800+ gold precursors.

Haha, so true!

If they -really- wanted to fix precursor prices until they (finally) manage to implement a replacement for that silly lottery game that precursors are, all they’d need to do is adjusting the drop rates. No programming required. Just changing a handful of parameters, increase the drop rate by a factor of two or three and prices will come down to more reasonable levels. Their economist person likely has a UI for making chances like that already.

That they don’t do that means they don’t care that the precursor is THE single thing putting legendaries far out of reach for the vast majority of players.

And before I am getting flames tossed at me, I think getting a legendary -should- be hard. But it shouldn’t require gambling. Or mindlessly farming cash for weeks and months just to pay off a gambler. Make us…play the game, perhaps?

Tarnished Coast

Mourningcry.9428

Be it warranted or not….

Read my quote above from Lindsey – they admitted it was a problem 1 year ago, its no longer a matter of opinion.

I have read it, in fact when it was first posted. Maybe you need to (re-)read it.

No mention of it being a problem.

Just because something is concerning, doesn’t mean it’s a problem. And further, if they had felt action was warranted, they would have done so (if they had felt it necessary).

Reading comprehension – it’s not for everyone.

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

GW2 entire end game was designed around cosmetics, working towards your legendary IS part of the end game. The current system to get a precursor is so broken it is impossible for thousands of players to even start working towards end game.

This precursor problem is like Warcraft not having any raids or tiers of gears for an entire year.

So yes this is a massive problem.

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

and yet I dont think I will even craft a precursor when it is possible to do so. Odds are it will be time-gated like ascended weapons.

Anet…. we hate to wait months to get these time-gated BiS gear if we have the resources.

Parisalchuk.9230

Be it warranted or not….

I have read it, in fact when it was first posted. Maybe you need to (re-)read it.

Just because something is concerning, doesn’t mean it’s a problem. And further, if they had felt action was warranted, they would have done so (if they had felt it necessary).

They did try and fix it with the Lost Shores event by dropping a high rate of precursors. If you were part of that thread or read through it (using this reading comprehension you so speak of) you would know that.

But good try attempting to defeat my point with semantics and not actual support.

Mourningcry.9428

GW2 entire end game was designed around cosmetics, working towards your legendary IS part of the end game. The current system to get a precursor is so broken it is impossible for thousands of players to even start working towards end game.

This precursor problem is like Warcraft not having any raids or tiers of gears for an entire year.

Complete nonsensical depiction of the situation – A player begins working towards their end game the moment they start mapcompletion, or earn their first gold, get a T6 mat… The precurosor is 25%-45% or less of the actual Legenday (depending on how you portion the components).

Three methods to get a precursor exist now. Two are RNG based, the third provides inevitability.

• Random drop
  • Mystic Forge
  • BLTP

Don’t like RNG, the trading post offers an absolute way to acquire one. If a player is incappable, or unwilling to employ any of those methods, that is their problem.

Three solutions (perhaps only 1 viable) solutions already exist to what you call a “problem”.

Parisalchuk.9230

Haha, so true!

If they -really- wanted to fix precursor prices until they (finally) manage to implement a replacement for that silly lottery game that precursors are, all they’d need to do is adjusting the drop rates. No programming required. Just changing a handful of parameters, increase the drop rate by a factor of two or three and prices will come down to more reasonable levels. Their economist person likely has a UI for making chances like that already.

That they don’t do that means they don’t care that the precursor is THE single thing putting legendaries far out of reach for the vast majority of players.

And before I am getting flames tossed at me, I think getting a legendary -should- be hard. But it shouldn’t require gambling. Or mindlessly farming cash for weeks and months just to pay off a gambler. Make us…play the game, perhaps?

I agree the RNG is insanse. I have over 1700 hours played on my warrior. Assume even half of that is AFK and doing non world events thats still 850 hours of farming, dungeon running, fractals, guild missions, world events and I have never had a precursor for any weapon drop for me. Thats insane.

We have given Anet plenty of suggestions for ways to mitigate this issue to keep the weapon rare while letting people follow a path to get it (things like achievement point based, token based, crafted, ect) yet we sit here over a year after release with no further details then we know its wanted and we are ‘working’ on it.

Parisalchuk.9230

Complete nonsensical depiction of the situation – A player begins working towards their end game the moment they start mapcompletion, or earn their first gold, get a T6 mat… The precurosor is 25%-45% or less of the actual Legenday (depending on how you portion the components).

Three methods to get a precursor exist now. Two are RNG based, the third provides inevitability.

• Random drop
  • Mystic Forge
  • BLTP

Don’t like RNG, the trading post offers an absolute way to acquire one. If a player is incappable, or unwilling to employ any of those methods, that is their problem.

Three solutions (perhaps only 1 viable) solutions already exist to what you call a “problem”.

The problem is getting 25% of the legendary (the precursor) costs almost 50% of the entire weapon and is almost universally the final piece. There is also no incremented way to work towards that goal. Saving money is not the answer as its an endless battle of gaining and spending as you work towards a moving target. You get no choice in this matter as well as the only way to make money in the game is to play, and the only way to play invloves spending money on repairs and waypoints at minimum and if you take a week off enjoy the new 20 gold increase to your goal. You dont shell out T6 mats to play this game and you always need just 250 each of those.

The fact is everything BUILDS to making the weapon except the precursor which only subtracts. You make clovers you get T6 mats/ectos/shards. You do map completion you get money to spend and other mats. You want a precursor you only pay money and your only return is either unreleated weapons (via forge) that will let you try again if you spend more or nothing if you are saving money.

If I had to guess you are someone who has a legendary or two and fear that your precious weapon is going to be devalued because people who play this game will have an actual shot of acquiring one.

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

• Random drop
  • Mystic Forge
  • BLTP

Using the mystic toilet or other RNG to get a precursor is like telling a homeless man to use lottery tickets to get money and rebuild there life.

And buying one from the TP is not a option for hundreds of thousands of players who will never see more than 50 gold in there life time.

If i get a paper cut on my finger do i cut my entire hand off?

It is a massive problem, the system is broken, there are thousands of players who have managed to get every single item needed to make there Legendary except the precursor. Thousands of players who have stopped playing this game, as they see no point in aiming for something that is currently impossible to get.

Mourningcry.9428

Be it warranted or not….

They did try and fix it with the Lost Shores event by dropping a high rate of precursors. If you were part of that thread or read through it (using this reading comprehension you so speak of) you would know that.

But good try attempting to defeat my point with semantics and not actual support.

I don’t recall seeing a post by a dev saying that this was the intended fix. I’ll browse the thread again just to be sure. But I do know for sure a one time event reward isn’t a viable solution to a long term supply problem. At most, it’s a supply-shock, which quickly fades. So, no, I don’t think was a solution, rather just a nice reward for the event.

If this had been an intended solution, there have been plenty of similar events since where this method could have been repeated to again shock supply. Given that it hasn’t been repeated, it wouldn’t be a reach to conclude that this was not the intent of that event.

And just for absolute clarity, you reference the single quote by Lindsay, not the thread or any other quote, in your original response to me. And in that quote, there is no mention of ANet conceding that an actual problematic situation exists.

Parisalchuk.9230

Be it warranted or not….

I don’t recall seeing a post by a dev saying that this was the intended fix. I’ll browse the thread again just to be sure. But I do know for sure a one time event reward isn’t a viable solution to a long term supply problem. At most, it’s a supply-shock, which quickly fades. So, no, I don’t think was a solution, rather just a nice reward for the event.

If this had been an intended solution, there have been plenty of similar events since where this method could have been repeated to again shock supply. Given that it hasn’t been repeated, it wouldn’t be a reach to conclude that this was not the intent of that event.

And just for absolute clarity, you reference the single quote by Lindsay, not the thread or any other quote, in your original response to me. And in that quote, there is no mention of ANet conceding that an actual problematic situation exists.

I didnt say that was their long term solution – it was their fix to combat the current rising costs with the intention of adding the scavenger hunt to be the long term fix. Also Ive never seen anyone share the concern of someone over something that they didnt think was a problem. Thats like saying you are concerned over the homeless but dont think its a problem that they are there. It makes no sense.

Mourningcry.9428

• Random drop
  • Mystic Forge
  • BLTP

The problem is getting 25% of the legendary (the precursor) costs almost 50% of the entire weapon and is almost universally the final piece. There is also no incremented way to work towards that goal. Saving money is not the answer as its an endless battle of gaining and spending as you work towards a moving target. You get no choice in this matter as well as the only way to make money in the game is to play, and the only way to play invloves spending money on repairs and waypoints at minimum and if you take a week off enjoy the new 20 gold increase to your goal. You dont shell out T6 mats to play this game and you always need just 250 each of those.

The fact is everything BUILDS to making the weapon except the precursor which only subtracts. You make clovers you get T6 mats/ectos/shards. You do map completion you get money to spend and other mats. You want a precursor you only pay money and your only return is either unreleated weapons (via forge) that will let you try again if you spend more or nothing if you are saving money.

If I had to guess you are someone who has a legendary or two and fear that your precious weapon is going to be devalued because people who play this game will have an actual shot of acquiring one.

Nope, I don’t have multiple legendaries, or even one. I didn’t even bother to start the process until I got one a precursor as a drop (because I understood the undertaking it would require a casual such as myself in order to complete)

But this is the same stance I’ve had since nearly the start -

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/There-need-to-be-more-ways-to-get-precursor-weapons/324579

If nothing else, all this time hasn’t changed my opinion. I’m well aware of the current situation, the current mechanics of what it takes to acquire, and yet unlike some players, don’t feel it is an inherent problem that warrants a solution.

Kimyrielle.3826

Except that precursor price inflation outpaced most people’s ability to farm money by an order of magnitude. The went up from 300k to 600-820g in matter of months, after all.

Not that requiring people to waste endless hours with mindlessly farming cash like a Chinese goldseller to pay off a gambler is something that’s worthy of being in a modern MMO, mind you.

So I can’t exactly agree with you saying it’s not a problem.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Sanguina X.8301

Sanguina X.8301

Thank you for the update Colin. Personally, I say take as long as you need to get it right.

I agree. I want this to be done right, especially since it’s the method I’ll most likely be using to get The Lover! And considering all the other stuff I need to do for The Dreamer, I’m in no rush to get my precursor. Take all the time you need!

- Sanguina X

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I wonder if they should make precursors drop similarly to greens in GW1. Assign a specific one to a specific boss (not an easy one per se either), give it like a 1% drop chance and release the hounds….

Edit: as well as creating the craftable, and the scavenger hunt. So people have options…but they should all equate to roughly the same amount of work/time

Mourningcry.9428

Except that precursor price inflation outpaced most people’s ability to farm money by an order of magnitude. The went up from 300k to 600-820g in matter of months, after all.

Not that requiring people to waste endless hours with mindlessly farming cash like a Chinese goldseller to pay off a gambler is something that’s worthy of being in a modern MMO, mind you.

So I can’t exactly agree with you saying it’s not a problem.

It sounds harsh, but the fact that that particular method is beyond the capabilities of most players isn’t necessarily an issue. Not sure where it was mandated that all aspects of the game be accessable to all players equally.

Beyond that, if an outright purchase isn’t viable, then the other two methods most certainly are. Albeit, they may not be enviable, or favorable alternatives.

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Good to know, Collin. I’ll go ahead and work on the other 75% of bifrost until then

That said, I feel like raising the precursor drop rate could only be beneficial to anet- the precursor is a major dissuasion for many people to craft legendaries- more precursors on the market would mean more people crafting legendaries, sinking gold to get all the other mats, leading to more often gem purchases

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Kimyrielle.3826

It sounds harsh, but the fact that that particular method is beyond the capabilities of most players isn’t necessarily an issue. Not sure where it was mandated that all aspects of the game be accessable to all players equally.

Beyond that, if an outright purchase isn’t viable, then the other two methods most certainly are. Albeit, they may not be enviable, or favorable alternatives.

It might sound equally harsh, but the habit of brushing away valid points against broken systems with the “It’s not meant to be easy” line is getting a tad old, really.

Particularly since I already said that I don’t want this to be easy.

The three methods you keep defending so vigourously are

a) Sheer luck.
Ok…that’s not something you can control, right? For some, this thing will drop from a L1 bog skale (apparently that’s possible), but with a chance that abysmal, there is nothing really you can do except keep playing the game. It’s a truly random reward, in the most literal sense. It rewards for…well, doing nothing actually. Calling this a viable method is a silly thing to do, because it’s not a “method” at all. It’s the GW2 equivalent of saying walking up and down a street mall is a valid method to make money for someone might have dropped a $1,000 bill on the sidewalk.

b) Gambling.
You can get a precursor drop from the mystic forge. That’s easy! Well, except that you have to drop in a metric ton of valuable items to get a remotely high chance for the precursor to actually drop. It’s called math. Oh, and it costs a lot of money.

Which leaves…

c) Actually farming money like a Chinese goldfarmer.

What you don’t seem want to see is that methods b) and c) are virtually identical. Both require you to stupidly farm large amounts of money, except that b) comes with a gambling component that might either lower or raise the total price you’re paying. It’s again nothing you can control. On -average-, this method isn’t any cheaper than outright buying it.

You’re covering your eyes and ears, uttering the mantra “There is no problem” because you don’t want to see it. Fine, I can’t keep you. shrug

Tarnished Coast

Mourningcry.9428

It might sound equally harsh, but the habit of brushing away valid points against broken systems with the “It’s not meant to be easy” line is getting a tad old, really.

Particularly since I already said that I don’t want this to be easy.

The three methods you keep defending so vigourously are

a) Sheer luck.

b) Gambling.

c) Actually farming money like a Chinese goldfarmer.

What you don’t seem want to see is that methods b) and c) are virtually identical. Both require you to stupidly farm large amounts of money, except that b) comes with a gambling component that might either lower or raise the total price you’re paying. It’s again nothing you can control. On -average-, this method isn’t any cheaper than outright buying it.

You’re covering your eyes and ears, uttering the mantra “There is no problem” because you don’t want to see it. Fine, I can’t keep you. shrug

That’s not exactly a fair summary of my feelings.

Actually, I’d say A & B are more akin. Both are mechanics of RNG (kill for drops; drops/carft/buy for MF)/

I’ve argued elsewhere that RNG is a fair mechanic- that’s where i’m coming from.

Now, perhaps it’s a bit clearer why I don’t consider this situation problematic?

Posted by: Twelves.2013

Twelves.2013

I’m sitting on everything waiting for RNG gods to give me Legend to get Bifrost. I’m extremely disappointed. The whole precursor system is kittens.

Posted by: Floreum.3684

Floreum.3684

I’m patiently waiting for new legendary weapons before I start trying to get one. I’m perfectly fine with my green super longbow for now as well.

I can only hope to see new legendaries next year. Hope to see more bows! (The Kuzu is pretty cool, but I still wanna wait and see what comes available. )

Kimyrielle.3826

I’ve argued elsewhere that RNG is a fair mechanic- that’s where i’m coming from.

RNG is a fair drop mechanism for high-frequency drops. Like greens and blues, even yellows.

However, RNG is a horribly unfair mechanic for anything rare. Why? Again, it’s math. We all get a lot of greens and rares, so chances are very good that the average total value of all items assigned to us in that fashion is equal (math demands this to happen with large sample sizes). But with super-rare items, the sample size will be too small to even out, even if we all play the game for a decade. Player A will get a precursor for killing her very first Risen, Player B will annihilate entire armies of mobs and -never- get one. That’s entirely possible. And intrinsically unfair, for player A didn’t do anything to deserve or earn that additional reward. She was just…lucky.

So yeah… I guess that’s why we’re unlikely to agree on this. My definition of fairness doesn’t include randomly making a player considerably richer than others. I believe in equal work = equal reward. With common drops using RNG doesn’t matter, for the distribution will still result in equality. But like I said, MMO makers need to understand that it’s a horrible idea to use RNG for anything rare.

Tarnished Coast