Is precursor crafting going to happen or not?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

it will get implemented. i fear how.

probably legendary worth of materials for precursor.

I wouldn’t mind spending 200-300g in mats to craft it.

I’m more afraid of how much bullcrap we’re gonna have to go through in ascended materials for it. Dragonite ore is painful to acquire. I don’t like doing those events.

Can you imagine if Dusk/Dawn were 200-300g each? You would see double the amount of Twilights and Sunrises. If Anet introduces precursor crafting and it costs this little to make 1, legendaries will become more common than abyss dye.

Stop wanting legendaries to be easier than they already are. You’re already complaining about doing events for dragonite ore. When precursor crafting comes around you’ll complain about it costing 500g+ 3 weeks of timegating

So what? And yeah, if its 500g with 3 weeks of timegating your kitten right I’ll complain about it because that would be kittened. 800g is too much and there is nothing legendary about that when other people spend barely anything and get them because they got lucky with RNG.

300g is plenty to spend on a precursor. Play a different game if u don’t like that or go horde 800g after grinding hard for 2 months straight. No thx.

it cost like 500g in mats to make anyway, plus the karma required is “legendary” enough. 300g for the precursor is reasonable. The game has been out for a YEAR so you’re bound to see a lot of people running around with legendaries, maybe more so considering how many people got lucky with RNG which makes it easier for them to make it.

There is absolutely nothing legendary about “legendary’s” anyway. There’s nothing difficult about making one the only thing it requires is TIME.

(edited by Shelledfade.6435)

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

Sorry if this sounds awful, but the way I read Mr. Johanson’s response, was this:

We plan on allowing you to make precursors via crafting, but the piece of paper that says “Make precursors craftable” and that’s it, is somewhere on a desk of stuff that we aren’t dealing with right now. I know we already said that it would be available before the end of the year, but since we are not dealing with it and haven’t even bothered with it, I’m now going to tell you that it’s more than likely not going to make it by the end of the year. But don’t worry, we got plenty of other temp content and more stuff to delete from the game so we can replace it with new content to distract you from this and hope you forget about it (like they have done with plenty of other things already).

Sorry but after all the mistrust, lies, deceit, disrespect, and the complete reverse of direction for the game, that they have spread around, I find it hard to believe that they are actually working on this.

This says it right here, why believe anything they say at all? They nerf so much crap and never post it, when we notice it they lie about it and say it wasn’t a nerf, what would we know we only play the game, and when we ask them questions they hardly ever give straight answers or just side step the question all together, no wonder players are so frustrated with Anet.

I see this whole thing making Precursors go up, thanks Anet, well done.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Posted by: Balkanwarrior.5132

Balkanwarrior.5132

I’m more afraid of how much bullcrap we’re gonna have to go through in ascended materials for it. Dragonite ore is painful to acquire. I don’t like doing those events.

Can you imagine if Dusk/Dawn were 200-300g each? You would see double the amount of Twilights and Sunrises. If Anet introduces precursor crafting and it costs this little to make 1, legendaries will become more common than abyss dye.

Stop wanting legendaries to be easier than they already are. You’re already complaining about doing events for dragonite ore. When precursor crafting comes around you’ll complain about it costing 500g+ 3 weeks of timegating

So what? 800g is too much and there is nothing legendary about that when other people spend barely anything and get them because they got lucky with RNG.

300g is plenty to spend on a precursor. Play a different game if u don’t like that or go horde 800g again.

If it was too much, I wouldn’t have sold my last 4 Dusks for 800g.

300g is plenty to spend on a precursor. You’re right. In fact, there are a few on the TP listed for around 300g right now. Sadly, they are worth 300g because they aren’t highly demanded. Who’s fault is it that Twilight/Sunrise/The Legend are the top 3 most demanded legendary weps?

Precursor crafting will fix nothing apart from giving people a surefire way to obtain their precursor. That’s what people want and I hope Anet slaps us in the face with it.

Posted by: Kaon.7192

Kaon.7192

@Colin Do you feel you are understaffed? What can we as players do to help support ANET and not NCSOFT to help you grow your staff to push out key features we need quicker?

Colin " Buy more Gems!"

Seriously tho, there is nothing anyone can do.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/User-Created-Skins/

As Valve has shown with Dota 2 and TF2, with a large enough player-base, the community can create high-quality aesthetic content on their own at a much faster pace than any single professional development studio can ever dream of.

ANet just needs to give us the tools and infrastructure, and we’ll be able to take care of our own needs for more & better skins. ANet’s own art teams can then focus on creating theme fitting aesthetic content for their Living Story arcs, and festivals/events.

Sadly I feel ANet’s parent company, NCSoft, are simply too narrow-minded to allow ANet to allocate resources to these kinds of experiments. Especially judging from how they closed the doors forever on Steam integration due to some petty business model differences.

(edited by Kaon.7192)

Shelledfade.6435

So what? 800g is too much and there is nothing legendary about that when other people spend barely anything and get them because they got lucky with RNG.

300g is plenty to spend on a precursor. Play a different game if u don’t like that or go horde 800g again.

300g is plenty to spend on a precursor. You’re right. In fact, there are a few on the TP listed for around 300g right now. Sadly, they are worth 300g because they aren’t highly demanded. Who’s fault is it that Twilight/Sunrise/The Legend are the top 3 most demanded legendary weps?

Precursor crafting will fix nothing apart from giving people a surefire way to obtain their precursor. That’s what people want and I hope Anet slaps us in the face with it.

oh you sold your last FOUR dusks for 800g huh ? LOL way to make up some ridiculous bull story in order to make a point of no consequence.

No one spends 800g on precursors. There are always the exact same amount of them on the TP and they never sell, its probably ANET who puts them on the TP in the first place to make people buy gold.

Balkanwarrior.5132

oh you sold your last FOUR dusks for 800g huh ? LOL way to make up some ridiculous bull story in order to make a point of no consequence.

Yup. I’v gotten 28 total precursors from the forge. Sorry, do you want me to log on and screenshot my last 4 Dusk sales? I’ll do it just for you if you don’t believe me. You sound really bummed out about having the face the truth that people spend ‘’too much’’ for things that they want.

Shelledfade.6435

Yup. I’v gotten 28 total precursors from the forge. Sorry, do you want me to log on and screenshot my last 4 Dusk sales? I’ll do it just for you if you don’t believe me. You sound really bummed out about having the face the truth that people ‘’too much’’ for things that they want.

Oh, 28 precursors from the forge huh (LOL), while other people like myself who have probably put more gold in the forge and got nothing, and you’re sitting here defending this bad system.

Ridiculous bullcrap. Also 28 precursor? LOL, no I don’t believe you sorry. Go photoshop some pictures.

Balkanwarrior.5132

Yup. I’v gotten 28 total precursors from the forge. Sorry, do you want me to log on and screenshot my last 4 Dusk sales? I’ll do it just for you if you don’t believe me. You sound really bummed out about having the face the truth that people ‘’too much’’ for things that they want.

Oh, 28 precursors from the forge huh, while other people like myself who have probably put more gold in the forge and got nothing, and you’re sitting here defending this bad system.

Ridiculous bullcrap. Also 28 precursor? LOL, no I don’t believe you sorry.

I highly doubt that you have spent more gold in the forge than I have. Actually, round up your friends and guild members, add up what all of you have dropped into the forge and maybe it will be half of what I spent

I’ll log in later tonight and SS my last 4 Dusk sales.

Shelledfade.6435

Oh, 28 precursors from the forge huh, while other people like myself who have probably put more gold in the forge and got nothing, and you’re sitting here defending this bad system.

I highly doubt that you have spent more gold in the forge than I have. Actually, round up your friends and guild members, add up what all of you have dropped into the forge and maybe it will be half of what I spent

go for it, keep trolling. And I’ll hypothesize just for the sake of it that if this is true then you’re the reason why its completely broken by monopolizing on a system that is broken by only rewarding lucky individuals, and not those who actually EARN their keep.

This is why ANET needs to fix this precursor mess before this ascended armor crap that nobody even asked for.

You should not be able to buy/sell precursors or legendaries in the first place.

(edited by Shelledfade.6435)

Posted by: Nadeen.6371

Nadeen.6371

so that means no precursor making this year?

*looks at zommoros, oh man, he’s gonna cheat my money again

Stop flushing your gold down the Mystic Crapper and save them. Soon you will be able to buy it off the TP and rid yourself of all the heart ache and hassle of the MC.

Balkanwarrior.5132

go for it, keep trolling. And I’ll hypothesize just for the sake of it that if this is true then you’re the reason why its completely broken by monopolizing on a system that is broken by only rewarding lucky individuals, and not those who actually EARN their keep.

This is why ANET needs to fix this precursor mess before this ascended armor crap that nobody even asked for.

You should not be able to buy/sell precursors or legendaries in the first place.

I’m not the one monopolizing anything. The person with 50k gold who decided to buy out all the Dusks/Dawns is the one to blame for that.

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

No one spends 800g on precursors. There are always the exact same amount of them on the TP and they never sell, its probably ANET who puts them on the TP in the first place to make people buy gold.

Actually -

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Dusk-sold-out-1-Left/2713593

Thre are numerous discussion in the BLTC subforum discussing the active market for precursors.

Rama.6439

Yup. I’v gotten 28 total precursors from the forge. Sorry, do you want me to log on and screenshot my last 4 Dusk sales? I’ll do it just for you if you don’t believe me. You sound really bummed out about having the face the truth that people spend ‘’too much’’ for things that they want.

Yes, I very much want you to SS pictures of something that you already sold, please do this, I like it when people do this, like you said, you would log on and SS your last 4 sales, do it up… And I don’t really care about what kind of gold you farm, I want to see your precursor sales

Välkyri – 80 Warrior

Mourningcry.9428

@Mourningcry.9428:
I understand. You’re looking at the a-priori chances (which are indeed even per kill, I can’t argue that) and neglect what math will do with these. Me? Statistics is part of what I do, so I am looking at the results such a system will produce. Which are quite uneven (you can’t argue that point in return, for it’s just applied statistics).

Anyway, perhaps we can agree on farming gold not being a very satisfying gaming experience for anyone? And since you can’t argue that RNG isn’t a -reliable- method to get a precursor, even if you think it’s a fair one…. maaaaybe it would be awesome if we’d get a -reliable- method for dedicated players to get their precursors that doesn’t involve repetitive, mindless grind of that magnitude?

I would absolutely agree that farming gold is not a very satisfying gaming experience. And would also agree that RNG isn’t at all a reliable method.

However, I think we’ll have to agree to disagree whether another inevitable method is needed. However unfavorable each current method is, they are undeniably viable to one degree or another.And given the proliferation of Legendaries already out there, it’s not exactly a trivial degree.

On another note, I think ANet’s original estimation for completion of a Legendary was 6-8months minimally and intended as a “long term” goal. Now, despite the early exploits, I think it would be entire reasonable to say that ANet was way off in those estimates. How about ascended crafting… what did it take, 2-3days before the first one was crafted? How about the new Teq – less than 24 hours before being downed.

Needless to say, ANet has a record of grossly underestimating their playerbase.

Given that, I think that if they do go down this reliable plath, and intend a crafted precursor to take a month to craft, I’d suggest they multiply those efforts tenfold. And then double it again. Maybe then they’d get closer to their expected results.

Balkanwarrior.5132

Here you go, Shelledfade.6435. I forgot that I had sold back to back Dusks so you get an extra 1.

http://lotsofpictures11.imgur.com/

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

@ OP, I have 1100g atm and I don’t want to buy dusk off the TP for 800g either.

Why should I give away a huge sum of money to some idiot who had sheer dumb luck bless them? What a joke. I got zap from forge, but I bought howl for 200g (which pushes the border of acceptable).

Shelledfade.6435

Why should I give away a huge sum of money to some idiot who had sheer dumb luck bless them? What a joke. I got zap from forge, but I bought howl for 200g (which pushes the border of acceptable).

My thoughts exactly.

Rama.6439

This is the exact way I feel, if someone wants to waste their gold on a weapon, go ahead, when I get one that drops I’ll be happy to post it up there for you to buy but I will never buy one at these prices.

And as far as precursor crafting it’s only a matter of time, Anet put us on this road, they said it would happen and they said it would happen this year, if they go back on it then that just makes them liars, plain and simple. So what if they have other stuff to work on, you know what, let the living story wait, it isn’t going anywhere, hasn’t since it started, they add some and remove it, how about adding a lot of stuff and leaving it.
And how about sticking with doing what you said you were gonna do…

Välkyri – 80 Warrior

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Here you go, Shelledfade.6435. I forgot that I had sold back to back Dusks so you get an extra 1.

While I don’t doubt you have gotten precursors, but I can take a guess at how you’ve accomplished this. You got lucky a few times in a row, “exploited” early on, spend all day on BLTP turning goods, or maxed your credit card and got enough money to continue sinking hundreds of gold into making them and basically run the market. That’s the entire problem with this is that a few people control the market in more than a few areas. Some people exploited the rate of precursors early on and made thousands upon thousands allowing them to control the markets. They could buy up everything and set the price at what they wanted with little or no competition. The gaps only widened as ArenaNet nerfed anything worth farming and turned their game into a grinding simulator.

This basically leaves the unlucky, non-super hardcore, non-exploiters, and those not willing to tank their credit rating out in the cold. They have a miniscule chance, not impossible, of getting a precursor by playing the game normally; that is what needs to change. I doubt that ArenaNet will change it anytime soon though because it makes them money.

Rama.6439

While I don’t doubt you have gotten precursors, but I can take a guess at how you’ve accomplished this. You got lucky a few times in a row, “exploited” early on, spend all day on BLTP turning goods, or maxed your credit card and got enough money to continue sinking hundreds of gold into making them and basically run the market. That’s the entire problem with this is that a few people control the market in more than a few areas. Some people exploited the rate of precursors early on and made thousands upon thousands allowing them to control the markets. They could buy up everything and set the price at what they wanted with little or no competition. The gaps only widened as ArenaNet nerfed anything worth farming and turned their game into a grinding simulator.

This basically leaves the unlucky, non-super hardcore, non-exploiters, and those not willing to tank their credit rating out in the cold. They have a miniscule chance, not impossible, of getting a precursor by playing the game normally; that is what needs to change. I doubt that ArenaNet will change it anytime soon though because it makes them money.

It won’t make them money much longer, players are bored with the content and the revamps are just making players mad, new games are due out soon and players will start to leave, what’s Anet gonna do then? Run to an expansion?

Välkyri – 80 Warrior

Balkanwarrior.5132

I find you guesses cute. All my forge gambling was paid for by the precursors that I got. Spend 200g and get Dusk. Sell Dusk then gamble 700g and get Dawn. Sell Dawn and gamble another 400g and buy more. Im not a TP flipper. I’v said before that I’v made a few choice investments. Overall, these investments made me about 100g so it’s nothing massive.

I can’t control a market even with my incredible luck because I don’t hold onto the precursors that I get. I don’t have enough raw gold to afford keeping precursors in my bank. I never did.

As for Anet nerfing things worth farming, hey I agree with you. I’v spent 200 hours running around Orr killing monsters. Stacking MF and hoping for a precursor drop, or even an exotic worth 4-5g. Then one day I decided to gamble my last 20g into the forge because I had heard it can give you precursors. Next thing you know I’m popping 1 out every night.

But don’t forget. 800g is doable. Just 1 week of casual Frostgorge champ farming and dungeon running should net you a nice little sum. Continue doing that for 2-3 weeks and you’ll have 800g. If I was in the position of wanting a legendary, would I be a bit put off at not being given a reliable way to get a precursor? Of course. But at the same time if I really wanted one, I would suck it up and work for it. People love to talk about earning their own crap but when it suddenly becomes ‘’whoa 2 expensive 4 me’’ It turns into trying to find excuses on how they can’t attain their goal. The most popular excuse is ‘’letting idiots with dumb luck get rich off my hard work’’

Also, people talk about market manipulation. Not much to say there. If we were able to trade p2p like GW1, we wouldn’t have this problem. Keep in mind the TP tax + listing fee on something worth 800g sucks. Keep in mind some people are greedy.

Posted by: SeNoZinD.9874

SeNoZinD.9874

Ok, lemme set the scene
People who have received precursors: They’ll be too many legendaries/they should still be expensive if the price were to drop.
People who have not received precursors: Make it 300G! Anything less and I quit. Shouldn’t be RNG, etc etc etc.

I want precursors to be difficult, but doable. I also want them to not involve RNG (unless its somehow acceptable). This is coming from a person who got 2 precursors from the forge.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

People should learn not everything in life is easy.

…or worth buying in the first place

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’m hoping it’s done similarily to crafting things like Ilyas and Vulcanuses. That’ll keep the price value reasonable, but also make it significantly easier to get.

That’s my take, at least s:

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

You will absolutely see a way to create a precursor available in the future. As detailed in our plans for the second half of the year here:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

As mentioned at the end of the blog, as always things are subject to change as test and prepare various systems. Most of the stuff covered in the blog you’ve already seen implemented, or steps towards being implemented, however the precursor building (and corresponding additional legendary items) is the one highest at risk to not make it this year.

It is still something we absolutely plan to do!

Typical Mr Johanson, or as I like to call him, ‘the seagull’…

• flies in
  • squawks
  • craps on you
  • flies off again

I’m sure we can appreciate the dev’s have a tough job to do, but really? Prioritising the most wanted item in the game shouldn’t be THAT tough. >_<

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

• flies in
  • squawks
  • craps on you
  • flies off again

I’m sure we can appreciate the dev’s have a tough job to do, but really? Prioritising the most wanted item in the game shouldn’t be THAT tough. >_<

There is word for doing the above too…..(starts with an A and the last part is an empty space and that generates an unpleasant, acrid odor).

• Make an insulting personal attack in public
  • Add a comment to mitigate the circumstances that led to the attack
  • Add the reason why the personal attack was justified

He was simply doing EXACTLY what the community wanted….to confirm that this is still planned and YOU came in here and crapped on him for doing his job.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Just want to point out that just because something is ‘high risk’ does not also mean that it is not high, or even highest, priority. One does not necessarily preclude the other.

We do not know what order their priorities are or where the precursor crafting falls on the list. It very well could be the top item, but due to various unforeseen issues, it also becomes the hardest one to do. Doesn’t make it any less of a priority, but may potentially mean that it needs more time than initially projected. It happens all the time in development.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

People like Balkanwarrior make me sad and depressed…..and I’m not even talking about the number of precursors s/he’s gotten. So many exotics, I’m lucky to get one in a week of playing.

I’ve got all of 40g to my name and the journey to get dusk seems impossible.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

He was simply doing EXACTLY what the community wanted….to confirm that this is still planned and YOU came in here and crapped on him for doing his job.

Oh spare me…

What the community wants is for them to keep their word and implement (for many) a stable way to gain probably the single most important part of their journey through GW2. What the community wants is communication, sure… but in saying that they don’t want to be told that it’s probably not gonna happen this year, when they’re on record both in text and on video, that they would implement it towards the end of this year.

Going back on their word looks bad mkay. Like has been said so often in this thread, if you can’t commit to something and keep your word that it’ll get done in a given timeframe, then it’s better not to announce it at all. Get all our hopes up that something significant is being done about this and then drop us at the last minute. Ok it might not be all doom ‘n gloom, they may actually pull off a miracle and get it done before the end of the year… but as Mr Johanson has already said it may not happen, which to me, is the precursor that it’s not gonna get done in time. Pun intended.

Now as I’m sure you can understand, a community that has already very little faith in the dev’s doesn’t need to be told that more promises are nothing better than pie crusts. The community wants the dev’s to make good on their word and not be any more disappointed than they already have been.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

• flies in
  • squawks
  • craps on you
  • flies off again

There is word for doing the above too…..(starts with an A and the last part is an empty space and that generates an unpleasant, acrid odor).

• Make an insulting personal attack in public
  • Add a comment to mitigate the circumstances that led to the attack
  • Add the reason why the personal attack was justified

While I can agree with you that his post was insulting, he is not doing EXACTLY what the community wanted. The community wanted the promises of content features to be met and he came here to do the opposite, tell us that they probably arent going to be met.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

On another note, I think ANet’s original estimation for completion of a Legendary was 6-8months minimally and intended as a “long term” goal. Now, despite the early exploits, I think it would be entire reasonable to say that ANet was way off in those estimates. How about ascended crafting… what did it take, 2-3days before the first one was crafted? How about the new Teq – less than 24 hours before being downed.

Needless to say, ANet has a record of grossly underestimating their playerbase.

Given that, I think that if they do go down this reliable plath, and intend a crafted precursor to take a month to craft, I’d suggest they multiply those efforts tenfold. And then double it again. Maybe then they’d get closer to their expected results.

Yes and no. If they based their estimation on the -fastest- player to gain a legendary, they were obviously off. However, if they based their estimate on the -average- player, they erred on the -wrong- side, since the average GW2 player doesn’t yet have a legendary. That group got long priced out of the market by the steadily rising precursor prices in particular.

In general, it’s a bad idea to take the most hardcore of all hardcore players as basis for scaling time requirements for achievements like this (same goes for Teq btw.). For if you do that, you’re basically guaranteed to lock out 99% of the playerbase from -ever- completing the task. If they had set the workload required to get a legendary so that the fastest player in GW2 would have needed 8 months to get it – the average GW2 player would certainly have needed multiple lifetimes for the same achievement . Which I am sure is not their intention, despite how much some of the more elitist players might love just that.

Tarnished Coast

Mourningcry.9428

Yes and no. If they based their estimation on the -fastest- player to gain a legendary, they were obviously off. However, if they based their estimate on the -average- player, they erred on the -wrong- side, since the average GW2 player doesn’t yet have a legendary. That group got long priced out of the market by the steadily rising precursor prices in particular.

In general, it’s a bad idea to take the most hardcore of all hardcore players as basis for scaling time requirements for achievements like this (same goes for Teq btw.). For if you do that, you’re basically guaranteed to lock out 99% of the playerbase from -ever- completing the task. If they had set the workload required to get a legendary so that the fastest player in GW2 would have needed 8 months to get it – the average GW2 player would certainly have needed multiple lifetimes for the same achievement . Which I am sure is not their intention, despite how much some of the more elitist players might love just that.

Be that as it may, in the case of Legendaries, I do think intent was to lockout the majority of players.

But not lock them out in terms of ability; as have been demonstrated thus – any mob can drop one, even a one killed by an otherwise below-par player. Likewise in MF combines. And even more so on the TP by someone with deep pockets, but shallow skills.

Let’s be clear on that, it wasn’t a lockout based on player skill or wealth (game or otherwise), it was an unbiased lockout. Not making them account bound opened up the opportunity for bias. But that, in turn was, and is, player driven.

An early dev post described precursors as “exteremely rare exotic weapons”. Further, it was even described as the frist step of the process, afterwhich the players would then go on to acquire the other bits.

Being the ambitious and efficient players that they are, many players found, and now find themselves in the position of needing the first step as their last. Contrary to the intent of the developers.

By the nature of the precursor, the intent really was to lockout the majority of the player base from even attempting the process.

Introducing a new method of acquisition as a concession to various outcries still remains to be seen how much of a lockout will be persisted.

That being said, while I did use the world-first accomplishments to demostrate my point, the lag between those, and and a non-trivial representation isn’t that large, and still, I think is agreeable, well ahead of ANet’s estimations. So, yes, whatever the new barrier of entry will be for this new method, I do hope they make a very conservative effort. In fact, spreading various parts of it out over multiple releases would allow them to control the rate even better.

(edited by Mourningcry.9428)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I suggested this before, but I still think a good idea is to separate the legendary skin from the legendary item (guaranteed best-in-slot). Make the latter easier to get.

I’ve never supported the idea of having to farm for months in order to stay on top of the gear curve. I don’t have any problem requiring people to farm for years for a cool skin. And yes, I understand ascended weapons are already best-in-slot. That doesn’t mean they’ll be that way a year from now, despite what ANet has promised.

I can’t agree with this more. Legendaries were supposed to be cosmetic, but they’re becoming more useful.

Having a weapon skin that’s awesome looking and makes others drool with envy can be locked behind an insane grind, just like GWAMM, but that’s all it should be.

Immunity from power creep (always BiS) and ability to change stats are quality-of-life issues that should be more reasonable to attain.

Posted by: Giotto.2607

Giotto.2607

I have an idea about this.
They can just put a npc selling all the precursor lets say, 300g each.
So the speculation of it will simply end.

Mourningcry.9428

I have an idea about this.
They can just put a npc selling all the precursor lets say, 300g each.
So the speculation of it will simply end.

Brilliant…

but.. not quite seeing why would you want to jack up the price on some precursors by 4x-10x?

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

An early dev post described precursors as “exteremely rare exotic weapons”. Further, it was even described as the frist step of the process, afterwhich the players would then go on to acquire the other bits.

Being the ambitious and efficient players that they are, many players found, and now find themselves in the position of needing the first step as their last. Contrary to the intent of the developers.

By the nature of the precursor, the intent really was to lockout the majority of the player base from even attempting the process.

Wow.

That is such a cool quote and it makes the idea of Legendaries to me that much cooler. You know if I had it my way the only thing I would change to the current Legendary system was to make precursors account bound.

The whole idea of something that is Legendary is something that is rare, an epic tale, or story, something we believe but don’t even really know to be true.

If Legendary weapons were only acquired by those who happened by chance to discover a precursor and then begin their quest to forge them into the weapons they were meant to become, they would truly be Legendary weapons.

They should not be something everyone can have. Something anyone can have yes, but not everyone.

The fact that many people currently believe Legendaries should readily accessible to everyone is contrary to the very idea of a Legendary weapon. The fact that people feel entitled to a Legendary simply by being a member of the Guild Wars 2 players base is ridiculous, and if the Devs cater to it will be the very thing that ruins the Legendary weapon class altogether.

There is nothing wrong with the current Legendary system. What is wrong is the sense of entitlement you have if you feel you deserve your ‘Legend’.

If every sword was Excaliber, “The sword in the Stone” would never have been written.

There would be no Legend.

Posted by: ozma.3498

ozma.3498

Frankly, I wouldn’t hold your breath. Close to a year ago, they stated they would be implementing a “scavenger hunt” system to get precursors, and making precursors more accessible would be addressed as early as “the next update” (Lost Shores). As it turned out, precursors being made “more accessible” actually just meant the Mystic Forge had a slightly higher chance to produce them. As you have discovered, OP, after wasting hundreds of gold, the chance is still atrocious.

The other way it was made “more accessible” was giving a LOT of people 1-2 precursors for attending the Karka one-off event. However, plenty of people didn’t get them either. I can tell you, it was a pretty bitter pill to swallow seeing people getting two precursors as a reward for a 1 hour event after I’d been farming gold to buy Dusk for 6 weeks for several hours per day. But I got over it, since I was able to buy Dusk for 190g or so as the market became saturated with precursors for a short period of time.

But back to the point at hand – they said there would be a precursor scavenger hunt. Then a few months later, they said the scavenger hunt wasn’t actively being worked on. It’s been almost a year since they mentioned it and, surprise surprise – no scavenger hunt, and no mention of the scavenger hunt. It’s just quietly ignore, as if it was never announced in the first place.

I expect the precursor crafting to be no different. After all, the blog post that mentioned precursor crafting also said we would see new Legendary weapons and other Legendary items in 2013. Well – there’s another five updates in 2013 after the one on the 15th. That’s five updates (including the rest of Halloween and Wintersday) to see: all crafting professions going up to 500, new Legendary weapons and new Legendary “gear” (other types, according to the blog). Somehow I don’t see that happening, although I’d love to be wrong.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

But don’t forget. 800g is doable. Just 1 week of casual Frostgorge champ farming and dungeon running should net you a nice little sum. Continue doing that for 2-3 weeks and you’ll have 800g.

Or we could get a job in real life instead…

Posted by: Mordalus.8146

Mordalus.8146

two things you can guarantee:

1. it won’t be fun and will be a mindnumbingly tedious chore
2. it will require an huge laundry list of materials

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

two things you can guarantee:

1. it won’t be fun and will be a mindnumbingly tedious chore
2. it will require an huge laundry list of materials

precursor crafting – new tier of legendary mats (not t6 or ascended). Gather these to level up to 600 crafting. however refining these mats will give no xp so you will have to resort to time gated ascended crafting to get to precursor.

Alls I Knows is its gunna be a kitten

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I hope Anet scales the difficulty in direct proportion to the amount of whining and naysaying on the forums.

Now THAT would be a Legendary weapon.

Posted by: Kimhyuna.1035

Kimhyuna.1035

I hope Anet scales the difficulty in direct proportion to the amount of whining and naysaying on the forums.

Now THAT would be a Legendary weapon.

Whining about whining, how original.

Minion

Posted by: Osi.3504

Osi.3504

I think everyone deserves an official response on this. It was said by a developer that it would happen by the end of this year but I don’t think there was ever an official statement on it.

I need to know this information because I need to know if I should continue to play the game or not in the hopes that I can actually get a precursor. I have 500g right now and I’m still continuing to grind but even if I get the 800g that is required to buy dusk off the TP I’m not going to spend that much gold for a precursor.

Some people might wonder why I wouldn’t spend that much gold on a precursor even if I had that much, so I’ll give you that answer. A precursor is random dumb luck RNG. There is no skill or effort involved in attaining one whatsoever other than putting a couple rares in the mystic forge and getting lucky by pushing a button. I don’t believe its worth putting 2 solid months of tedious grinding effort into something that is based on random dumb luck. I just don’t agree with that, I don’t think its worth it, which is why I want to know if I am wasting my time playing the game or not because if we end up not being able to craft a precursor by the end of this year it makes any effort I continue to put forth in the game a wasted effort

I consider myself a hardcore gamer, as a hardcore gamer I need some sort of goal in any game I’m playing and I made that goal for myself twilight. I’ve already put around 400g into the mystic forge and didn’t get a precursor so you’ll understand why I’m a bit bitter about the whole thing when there’s other people running around with two legendary’s because they didn’t have to spend 800g for a precursor.

Is precursor crafting coming or not. We all deserve a straight answer. Yes or no, that’s all I need. I would be willing to spend 300g in order to craft it but yeah 800g off the TP is asking way too much.

Please answer yes or no.

Sorry I couldn’t resist, I had to log in and reply to your ridiculous statements and flawed view points.

Dusk is 800g and they do sell every single day, multiple, and multiple are listed every single day. Don’t believe the FACTS? Then keep refreshing the trading post and watch them slowly reduce in number. Too lazy? Go to gw2spidy and check the graph watching the graph go up and down because people are BUYING and LISTING them.

Precursors are as high as people are willing to pay for them, and therefore you have the current prices which are legit. Get over it, get use to it. Also if you haven’t noticed a legendary item DOES take more than RNG to get because the precursor is only HALF the weapon in terms of gold, so they are very time consuming to get even if you did manage to get one by luck.

If you look at the legendary material list, it’s LARGE and for a reason, it’s an economy dump and a way to keep you playing the game longer. I can assure you if ANET knows what is best for this game, craftable precursors will take a hell a lot more than 3 weeks to get, so don’t bother to QQ because I think everyone here that wants something handed to them because they are lazy and doesn’t know how to earn it themselves doesn’t even deserve to get precursor crafting updates. If you already admit you’ll cry more and more then anet can learn from this as an example not to please the lazy population.

Now I admit the RNG factor is silly, it’s annoying so I do agree with people on wanting a “sure way” to earn them and I don’t hate on them, as far as the people who cry about prices that just tells me they are not willing to put the time in for them which should be required to get one via supply/demand. If you think about it, precursor crafting already does exist, just not in the view points people want. It’s called saving up your gold and buying it off the trading post, precursor crafting will be close to the same I suspect and I’m sure we’ll find out soon enough.

Edit: Oh and the reason legendary/precursor implementation is fragile as the Dev’s are saying is because they don’t want to implode the economy with making materials too highly demanded, they have to CAREFULLY implement them and make sure it goes smooth. Otherwise T6 materials will be 1 gold each and all the babies will be crying about how hard they are to get and how expensive those are too.

It never ends…. /facepalm

Posted by: Time Glitch.2460

Time Glitch.2460

People like Balkanwarrior make me sad and depressed…..and I’m not even talking about the number of precursors s/he’s gotten. So many exotics, I’m lucky to get one in a week of playing.

This is why Precursors need a crafting path so badly.

Your average GW2 player does not even have 100G, let alone 500-800G. Anyone who doesn’t play the TP doesn’t make this kind of money and anyone else is lying. You can’t make 800G doing the content as it was intended. Hell you’d be hard pressed to make that kind of money exploiting the latest farming technique every day for a year.

So something needs to be done. I’ve basically given up on the idea of a Legendary until the Precursor path has been detailed and released.

Osi.3504

This is why Precursors need a crafting path so badly.

Your average GW2 player does not even have 100G, let alone 500-800G. Anyone who doesn’t play the TP doesn’t make this kind of money and anyone else is lying. You can’t make 800G doing the content as it was intended. Hell you’d be hard pressed to make that kind of money exploiting the latest farming technique every day for a year.

So something needs to be done. I’ve basically given up on the idea of a Legendary until the Precursor path has been detailed and released.

Yes TP players can make 100’s of gold a day.

As far as your quote and to the quoter i’m sure that guy got the Dusk from the forge, if he got 4 of the same precursors yet alone 4 precursors as drops in-game then that seems abit fishy to me. I’ve yet to get one and I’ve played since launch. I personally have gotten around 20 precursors from the forge but I’ve lost more than I’ve gained (right now i’m at about 2300g (about 1800 exotics/450 forges) w/o a precursor) and I do it for fun and excitment, not for profit however 2300g w/o a precursor has really soured my mouth and I probably won’t bother with that hobby anymore. Also to note it’s probably cheaper in the long run to buy your precursors off the TP then to forge them so people should stop saying they are overpriced.

People who play 5 hours a day ( a lot do) and easily make 10g a day, 300g a month by running 5-7 dungeons a day which is very doable and there are many other methods to get money. Here is everyones problem…. they sit in LA all day, run around WvW all day, or some other form of play that makes them hardly any money per hour then they spend it as soon as they get it… so of course they won’t get a precursor >.>

(edited by Osi.3504)

Osi.3504

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, so you are monopolizing the TP because >>>YOU TAKE A RISK AND GAMBLE<<< and he sells Dusk to the TP to people willing to buy them?

(mind you im 2300g w/o a precursor right now so it doesn’t always work out and I’ve gotten 20ish precursors from forging but overall lost more than I profited and therefore PRECURSORS ARE CHEAP)

Also he posted screenies, guess you got showed up.

Posted by: Time Glitch.2460

Time Glitch.2460

Right, what I’m saying is that your average player does not play the TP nor do they have that much capital to invest.

Trust me, I wish I was that savvy and I wish I could take those kinds of risks. It’s a “rich get richer” situation because you have 100s of gold to throw around meaning you can buy out a market or manipulate or speculate. Those of us with 20-30G? We can’t do jack kitten and we’ll never see those kinds of numbers.

Osi.3504

My thoughts exactly.

wrong, wrong, “to each their own” it depends on supply and demand, more people want the same item but only so many = high price, now this goes back to “to each their own”, a fair price is differnet to everyone. 200g to you is okay, but 800g isn’t. Well 4x+ more people want Dusk than Howl so it only makes sense does it not?

The reason precursors went up more in price more recently is for two reasons. Champion Update/Portal farming during queen jenna living story, everyone made SO MUCH gold in general prices sky rocketed, and the champion update is sustaining that still. Second was the revamp of legendary weapons, which made some more desired and therefore increased the price more, like with scepter 150g -> 450g. That’s called supply and demand boys and girls, nothing more.

(edited by Osi.3504)

Osi.3504

Right, what I’m saying is that your average player does not play the TP nor do they have that much capital to invest.

Trust me, I wish I was that savvy and I wish I could take those kinds of risks. It’s a “rich get richer” situation because you have 100s of gold to throw around meaning you can buy out a market or manipulate or speculate. Those of us with 20-30G? We can’t do jack kitten and we’ll never see those kinds of numbers.

Actually it’s pretty hard to manipulate a free and open market most people assume manipulation is present because a price is too high and 99.9% that is not the case, it just means supply and demand and there are lots of people willing to pay a price higher than you are for such item.

Yes it’s true the more gold you have the more money you can make however after 1,000 gold on good ratio items it gets tiring listing especially when your overbid usually often so to an extent the rich do get richer but eventually there is a quitting point of how much you will list in an open market.

Posted by: angelpaladin.7921

angelpaladin.7921

reading thought the last few post I feel extremely bad for you guys when you grow up. Supply and demand is what the real world is built on. Precursor’s have a low supply high demand so there expensive. They wouldn’t stay expensive if people where not willing to pay there high prices. We should also not ignore the fact there used to craft the best item’s in the game.

People have this entitled attitude in this thread. I am sorry but your not entitled to a precursor nor are you entitled to a legendary. I do think crafting them should be a viable method. I also think it should be extremely hard and time consuming.

I currently have bolt and am working on The Juggernaut. I already have the precursor “The Colossus” it took me week in a half to save the 550gold up to get it. Little bit of “WORK” goes a long way.