Is server transfer fees a good idea

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Charging real money threw gem perchances for server transfers at first sounded like a very good way to keep people from transferring to the winning server just to be on the winning side. Now all the people with deep pockets will be jumping into the winning servers. Is this the best way to keep all the servers as even as possible, it may not be, it maybe a better way to use XP points to buy a tickets for server transfers or some other point system that you get for playing in WvWvW. I can understand the need to generate revenue to keep the game running and I have spent my fair share in the gem store but I think this may need to be reavaluated in the future to see if this is the best way to handle server transfers.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

A cost on server change was there from the beginning, but since we didn’t have guesting in the start ArenaNet lifted the fee and made it free until we get guesting.

A fee for server changing is good so people don’t just server jump to the WvWvW server that wins the most, I dislike those kind of people.

Feirlista Xv.1425

A cost on server change was there from the beginning, but since we didn’t have guesting in the start ArenaNet lifted the fee and made it free until we get guesting.

A fee for server changing is good so people don’t just server jump to the WvWvW server that wins the most, I dislike those kind of people.

I know all that but that’s the point there will still be server jumping from those that are rich.

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

I always question whether it’s really about WvW, but to be honest if they really wanted to stop people from hopping to winning sides, they’d have made it permanent lockout if you transfer, or at least had a lockout system where you’d not get WvW access, until a specific amount of time.

It can be said that these are unfair, but hey, so is paying if your server is dead but you want to find a server that’s full for a decent WvW experience.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

I know all that but that’s the point there will still be server jumping from those that are rich.

I spend real money somewhat frivolously in this game, but I have no intention of jumping about on servers since everyone I know and play with are on Yaks Bend.

Even if people do jump servers for money, I think the 7 day waiting period is still there, so it’s not like they can exploit it for WVW purposes, which is really the only reason you’d want to jump servers, aside for legit reasons.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: Emerge.9640

Emerge.9640

Absolutely. They might be unbalanced at first, but it’ll ballance out once the FOTM monkeys realize they’ll have to sit in a queue to WvW.

ROAM | Oink | TLP

Posted by: Tken.1986

Tken.1986

From the start even in BWE, Anet had stated that you will require gems for world transfer. I didn’t expect so many people to have the I-didn’t-see-this-coming reaction. Did world transfer stay way too long for free that made people forget the fact this will be a paid service? But in fact it had stay too long for free, and rich people became so rich during the time period. Paid world transfer is like no biggie for them anyway.
Anet caused their own problems.

Feirlista Xv.1425

Unfortunately it’s human nature to want to be on the winning team and so no matter what system is in place to prevent server jumping I guess it will be an issue till some system to balance the servers can be developed.

(edited by Feirlista Xv.1425)

Feirlista Xv.1425

This whole thread is not about wether people did or didn’t expect a fee for server transfer the point of the thread is is it the best way to handle it and prevent server jumping into the winning servers.

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Yes it is the best way.

If you’re going to substitute real money for XP, then you may as well make it free as XP is a lot easier to come by.

The problem was whole guilds transferring in my opinion and it’s a lot harder for a large guild to transfer now if they now need to pay RL cash.

Paid transfers were supposed to be there from the start, but since guesting was borked, they had to hold off until now.

Posted by: Breda.6035

Breda.6035

Yes I feel it is the best way but it’s too bad it couldn’t have been implemented right off the bat – perhaps the server balance would have been better then.

It will cut down on a lot of transfers just because ‘server A’ is better than ‘server B’ on any given week and I think it will reduce the number of whole guilds transferring as well. More stability for WvW.

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

Yes.

Once we have it you won’t see massive shifts of guilds between servers. I can’t wait both for Guesting and the transfer free.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I suspect the number of people with money to waste on weekly server transfers who also care enough about WvW to want to be on a winning server but aren’t in a Tier 1 server already or planning to work their way up the ranks on their existing server is relatively small.

Also bear in mind you can buy gems with in-game gold, so it’s entirely possible to transfer without paying a penny in real life.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Charging real money threw gem perchances for server transfers at first sounded like a very good way to keep people from transferring to the winning server just to be on the winning side. Now all the people with deep pockets will be jumping into the winning servers. Is this the best way to keep all the servers as even as possible, it may not be, it maybe a better way to use XP points to buy a tickets for server transfers or some other point system that you get for playing in WvWvW. I can understand the need to generate revenue to keep the game running and I have spent my fair share in the gem store but I think this may need to be reavaluated in the future to see if this is the best way to handle server transfers.

People really need to quit worrying about the rich people who spend friviously, there really isn’t that many out there, certainty not enough to make any kind of balance issue.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Yes I feel it is the best way but it’s too bad it couldn’t have been implemented right off the bat – perhaps the server balance would have been better then.

It will cut down on a lot of transfers just because ‘server A’ is better than ‘server B’ on any given week and I think it will reduce the number of whole guilds transferring as well. More stability for WvW.

I think it was a good idea to make it free at first because a lot of people wanted to find specific communities or groups (mainly people in their time zone who speak their language) and had no way of doing it except by trial and error, or digging through fan sites for lists of who was on which servers.

Admittedly that problem hasn’t entirely gone away and new players are going to be caught having to pay to jump to a new server and just hope it’s the one they want, but I think it will affect a lot fewer people than it would have done.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I think it’s a great idea.

So few people play wvw anymore anyway… if a few deep-pocketted players want to bounce around, let NCSoft make some money from it.

Even a small fee will suffice to discourage many from chasing wvw prowess.

Posted by: Hawkmoon.5849

Hawkmoon.5849

@OP: No, server transfer cost is a bad thing. It’s a greedy move by a company that I personally feel has abandoned its philosophy of caring about players, and has moved into the shady realm of getting as much money from the playerbase as fast as they can.

Time to go back to RIFT- at least I knew what I was paying for and why I was willing to pay it.

Hope is the carrot dangled before the draft horse that plods along in the vain attempt to reach it

Feirlista Xv.1425

I realy don’t think it’s greedy, like any other business they need to make a profit or games like these would not exist. There has to be a way to make it hard to transfer servers so WvWvW will not be one sided wether they charge a fee or some kind of point system

One more thing no one has talked about is those that perchase the game after the free transfer goes away, will Anet give those new player a couple of free transfers just to give them a chance to decide on wich server they want.

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

Yes. At the moment there are entire guilds that transfer to what they consider to be the winning server in WvW. Making it cost to transfer will slow this practice down and give those servers who became the victim of this practice a much better fighting chance.

Posted by: FateZero.8536

FateZero.8536

I’m just waiting for Crystal Desert to have slots… My guild is there… They recruited me on overflow.