Is speedrunning dungeons an exploit?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cerise.9045

Cerise.9045

After seeing a method to make about 3 gold per day was considered to possibly be an exploit, it would be nice to know if speedrunning dungeons is an exploit too since I can easily make 10 gold per day by running different dungeons in 20-25 minutes(CoF in 15 minutes) and selling the drops.

Is it possible to get banned for speedrunning dungeons?

I emailed exploits@arena.net concerning this and the method to make another 3 gold per day a week ago but didn’t get a response.

I figured it might be considered exploiting because even though it’s not as profitable as some other things, it’s still more than some other people make for a couple of hours per day. So I really need clarification because I don’t want to make money from something that is considered to be a bug or an exploit or flaw in game design. I’m trying to play within the rules of the game but I can’t figure out what is considered fair play and what is considered unfair, or what is considered a flaw or is intended.

Posted by: ravinhood.3981

ravinhood.3981

After seeing a method to make about 3 gold per day was considered to possibly be an exploit, it would be nice to know if speedrunning dungeons is an exploit too since I can easily make 10 gold per day by running different dungeons in 20-25 minutes(CoF in 15 minutes) and selling the drops.

Is it possible to get banned for speedrunning dungeons?

I emailed exploits@arena.net concerning this and the method to make another 3 gold per day a week ago but didn’t get a response.

I figured it might be considered exploiting because even though it’s not as profitable as some other things, it’s still more than some other people make for a couple of hours per day. So I really need clarification because I don’t want to make money from something that is considered to be a bug or an exploit or flaw in game design. I’m trying to play within the rules of the game but I can’t figure out what is considered fair play and what is considered unfair, or what is considered a flaw or is intended.

Yes speed running the dungeons and BYPASSING the content is an exploit and they will get you eventually.

Cerise.9045

Yes speed running the dungeons and BYPASSING the content is an exploit and they will get you eventually.

Bypassing mobs can’t be an exploit because that’s 99% of what people did to make money in GW1 for the past 7 years.

Posted by: Aetheogh.9127

Aetheogh.9127

Had no idea that speed running was a exploit. Next time am near the CM and see those folks again will take names and guild tags. Though am shocked to see several members of that mega guild [GSCH] engaging in such activities. I assumed powerleveling lower levels in a lvl 40 requirement dungeon would be a expliot as well?

Aetheogh.9127|Sanctum of Rall Server|North America (Mountain Timezone)|(do not use voice)

Posted by: CelticWish.2314

CelticWish.2314

If they made speed runs illegal in DDO that would leave about 50 people in the game. But I get why the OP asks, we can see they may react first and deal with the issue later getting you reinstated. Personally I would say no, if they don’t like it the dungeon needs to be designed where you cannot speed run it.

ravinhood.3981

Bypassing mobs can’t be an exploit because that’s 99% of what people did to make money in GW1 for the past 7 years.

This isn’t GW1 why do people keep comparing this game to GW1? This is GW2 and you’ve already seen the BAN hammer on things that never happened in GW1. Be prepared to be banned and don’t come crying because you were warned.

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

Arah speed runs where you skip the mobs fight 2 bosses and jump over a wall that isn’t meant to be jumped over is obviously an exploit.

Cerise.9045

This isn’t GW1 why do people keep comparing this game to GW1? This is GW2 and you’ve already seen the BAN hammer on things that never happened in GW1. Be prepared to be banned and don’t come crying because you were warned.

What in the game warns people that running dungeons faster than usual can result in a ban?

Posted by: Sekai.5708

Sekai.5708

I wouldn’t think it’s an exploit unless there’s something in a specific dungeon that enables it to be skipped or otherwise complete it faster than normal. You can make 3 gold per hour just farming mobs outside if you know where to look.

Cerise.9045

Arah speed runs where you skip the mobs fight 2 bosses and jump over a wall that isn’t meant to be jumped over is obviously an exploit.

I’m not talking about Orr, I’m talking about other dungeons that you can fully clear in 20-25 minutes by just killing stuff fast. CoF is obviously not intended because you can bypass an objective and finish it in 15 minutes and the overall difficulty is obviously lower than the other dungeons.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

Uh? Let’s kill all money-making methods, they’re all exploits.

ravinhood.3981

Dungeons were meant to be GROUP events not solo speed running fiascos like GW1 had.

Eochaidh.4106

Dungeons were meant to be GROUP events not solo speed running fiascos like GW1 had.

How are people soloing it?

Posted by: Kimhyuna.1035

Kimhyuna.1035

This.
Arenanet have already limited our ability to make money by grinding.

Minion

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

You can 3 man Arah explorable for a quick 8 tokens and 2 chests in 15 minutes.

Bug out the first mob pack and everyone runs to the first boss.

Pull the first boss mobs separately and kill them.

Loot chest.

Run around the perimeter in the first room to a small crack where you can jump over the wall using swiftness.

Kill the 2nd boss.

Loot chest.

Reset the instance and repeat.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

If you’ve found a way to run the content other than as intended – that’s an exploit. Report it as such, or get reported for doing it.

Either they will fix it, or you will get banned – or both.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Eochaidh.4106

If you’ve found a way to run the content other than as intended – that’s an exploit. Report it as such, or get reported for doing it.

Who is to say it’s not intended? Speedrunning without abusing bugs is exploiting now? How in the world is anyone supposed to get dungeon armors?

Posted by: murasamune.2756

murasamune.2756

Who is to say it’s not intended? Speedrunning without abusing bugs is exploiting now? How in the world is anyone supposed to get dungeon armors?

so whats the harm in reporting it then? if its possibly intended?

Eochaidh.4106

so whats the harm in reporting it then? if its possibly intended?

When did I say there was any harm? I don’t really care if you report everyone you see (although, you should be aware it’s a bannable offence). I’m criticizing the nonsensical witch hunting attitude to people who enjoy playing differently than you.

Posted by: Tigger.8035

Tigger.8035

there are no exploits in CoF…….

It’s just easy as hell and 1 person maintains Gaheron agro while everyone else kills the acolytes at the same time in order to get more damage on the Eternal flame O_o

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

After seeing a method to make about 3 gold per day was considered to possibly be an exploit, it would be nice to know if speedrunning

CM story takes roughly 20 mins TOP and rewards 26 silver not including drops. 4 runs = roughly a gold (not including drops). So that is 1 hr 20 mins per gold on completion only. So 3 gold isn’t that much even if you play legit. You can also level up people nicely in the process.

And that’s killing every single mob in that zone.

Get 5 80’s in there with some nice burn and you can zip right through even faster

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

Loot chest.

Run around the perimeter in the first room to a small crack where you can jump over the wall using swiftness.

Kill the 2nd boss.

Loot chest.

wow I wouldn’t be surprise if the next banned wave is because of that.

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

I can’t speak about “speed runs” of anything other than CoF but, as someone already said, it isn’t an exploit it’s just plain easy. An average of 50s per run adds up quickly and I highly doubt that all of the dozens of people spamming LFG in that map are there for the armour.

Look at it this way. Each of the lvl 80 sets require grinding a given dungeon for tokens, or grinding events for Karma, with the exception of the Cultural sets which require in excess of 100g to complete (I think it’s around 110g?). Dungeon running for gold is no different to doing it for tokens or jumping around maps looking for back-to-back events for Karma. Actually, that’s not quite true, since it takes 60 runs (I don’t remember if each piece is 300 tokens or if only some of them are) of a given dungeon to get the relevant set, and over 200 runs to get the Cultural set (which then requires you buying, or grinding for, the Runes you need to finish it).

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Had no idea that speed running was a exploit. Next time am near the CM and see those folks again will take names and guild tags. Though am shocked to see several members of that mega guild [GSCH] engaging in such activities. I assumed powerleveling lower levels in a lvl 40 requirement dungeon would be a expliot as well?

How is speed running an exploit?
you cannot punish players by being efficient and working well together.
Bugging bosses is an exploit, speed running is not. [GSCH] members are not allowed to exploit games, we have a stellar reputation that we have every intention of keeping, especially where Anet are concerned since they named a server and NPC after one of our members. If any members are exploiting or caught exploiting they are dealt with accordingly. However, speed running a dungeon being an exploit? C’mon.

Posted by: Anguloke.2706

Anguloke.2706

People are confusing speed runs and exploit runs.

Loot chest.

Kill the 2nd boss.

Loot chest.

The above is an exploit run.

Just doing the content properly over and over again quickly is a speed run, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Posted by: Gilgamesh.2561

Gilgamesh.2561

I would say, as far as dungeons go, skipping content may be unintended and may be considered an exploit. That’s ArenaNet to say.

However, if you’re running through the entire dungeon quickly without skipping content, then you’re okay — that is assuming you’re not exploiting some mob or boss that happens to be dropping gold or gear worth more than it should be.

General rule-of-thumb regarding exploiting: If the reward is several times greater than the effort, it’s probably unintended and should be reported and not abused.

Posted by: LaronX.8079

LaronX.8079

I think it depends on the run. CoF speed run is just a reagula run where you do everything in the limits of the instance. You kill the first boss, get the bombs ( it is quite hard to get it if you don’t set up at the bombs befor the event starts ), run over to the magmazide (spelling lol) , kill the guys befor the chamber kit or kill the guys after and then do the boss. Arah speedrun on the other hand is clearly a exploit you stuck mobs into a place and then skip over wall you should not get over.

Blub.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I doubt many (if any) will get banned, but they will probably fix it so you can’t avoid large chunks of mobs.

Posted by: Widow.5849

Widow.5849

I doubt many (if any) will get banned, but they will probably fix it so you can’t avoid large chunks of mobs.

Yep, that right there. A wall you can’t see will be slapped up before you know it and all will be right with the world.

Posted by: Solbrio.1902

Solbrio.1902

Looks like this was answered in the patch tonight.

Posted by: Bloody.8769

Bloody.8769

well think of it from Anets pov, the more reliant the remaining playerbase is to buying gems from Anet the more money they will make ?

Cerise.9045

So making money is an exploit, explorable should cost more in repair costs than you get as a reward.

Don’t even try to make money for max-stat gear unless you plan on grinding for months, you’re meant to always have terrible non-max gear unless you abuse the trading post.

Posted by: Elydian.1763

Elydian.1763

ArenaNet seem to have set a new precedent in what is termed an exploit. It’s getting far out of hand. Some things are just tuning and design issues. Calling everything an exploit is just shifting the blame from developer to player unnecessarily, and often incorrectly.

Posted by: Greyfeld.7104

Greyfeld.7104

So making money is an exploit, explorable should cost more in repair costs than you get as a reward.

Don’t even try to make money for max-stat gear unless you plan on grinding for months, you’re meant to always have terrible non-max gear unless you abuse the trading post.

Conversely, making money by skipping content and intentionally bugging mobs is an exploit, and people who believe this to be unfair are lucky they didn’t get banned in the process of patching it up.

Look at it this way: If the bugged mobs were actually hurting your progress through the dungeon, you would have reported them. The fact that bugging them helped you make more money suddenly justified leaving them the way they were? That’s why it’s an exploit.

(edited by Greyfeld.7104)

Posted by: EricGORE.7896

EricGORE.7896

I’m not exactly sure what methods are being used to “exploit”, but speed running because mobs can be skipped is an exploit now? Yeah, I get that it’s not supposed to be skipped, but if the game allows for it, then how is it bannable?

If it was an oversight, then it’s on ArenaNet to get it fixed if they don’t agree with skipping over content in dungeons. Until then, it’s an open world, and if we find multiple paths that make our lives easier, of course we’re going to take them.

Are you self-righteous kittens going to lie and tell me you never once used the flute in Super Mario Bros 3 too?!

P.S. No, I did not type any profanity. I’ve fully embraced the kitten at this point.

Do I make you Norny, baby?

Posted by: Greyfeld.7104

Greyfeld.7104

I’m not exactly sure what methods are being used to “exploit”, but speed running because mobs can be skipped is an exploit now? Yeah, I get that it’s not supposed to be skipped, but if the game allows for it, then how is it bannable?

If it was an oversight, then it’s on ArenaNet to get it fixed if they don’t agree with skipping over content in dungeons. Until then, it’s an open world, and if we find multiple paths that make our lives easier, of course we’re going to take them.

Are you self-righteous kittens going to lie and tell me you never once used the flute in Super Mario Bros 3 too?!

P.S. No, I did not type any profanity. I’ve fully embraced the kitten at this point.

It’s not a matter of simply walking around the edge of the room because the mobs’ aggro range doesn’t reach that far. We’re talking about purposely bugging mobs, and bypassing entire sections of the dungeon.

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Bug out the first mob pack

If this is accurate, then yes it should be an exploit.

Because a bug is actively being exploited for profit.

If it’s simply “not killing every single mob that you come across” I fail to see any justification for it being an exploit, but if it’s purposefully exploiting bugs then by it’s very definition it is almost certainly going to be considered an exploit.

:edit:

A worrying amount of people (on this forum and in general) seem to be unaware of what an exploit is.

I see posts saying that if it’s ingame it’s the devs fault and therefore not an exploit.

But the whole point of an exploit is that you are exploiting a bug / issue for personal gain above and beyond what it was intended for (although whether a specific example is an exploit is down to the devs, not the forum warriors).

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

(edited by Jestunhi.7429)

Posted by: Pikafan.3792

Pikafan.3792

@EricGORE.7896

Pretty sure I haven’t. Then again, I never found the Mario franchise engaging save for the racing kart games.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Called it. Though I didn’t expect them to use that method, was expecting invisible walls or fixes to the terrain.