Is the Majority GW playerbase Hipsters

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

Do you find that if anything is suggested, if it resembles anything from another game you automatically shoot the idea down? Don’t want your gaming influenced by Mainstream? Were you attracted to GW by some of the unique features that were displayed in early manifestos?

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

No i dont just shoot it down but not everything from other MMOs will work in GW2. Do all MMOs have to be a 1 size fits all thing to you? If so why? Do mundane repeated ideas that didnt even work in some MMOs feel right to you when you played it?

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

It depends on the idea , there were some ideas on this game that I did not agree with such as the LFG tool which brings bad memories from another MMO , but there were some that I Didn’t shoot down such as PvP leveling and dynamic quests .

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Not me. The two ideas I’ve seen from other games that I’d rather GW2 not have are instanced raid progression (I’m ok with them adding instanced large group content eventually, I just don’t want to have to grind lower tier of content to get strong enough to be considered eligible for it) and open world PvP (just can’t see how it’d work without a massive rewrite… I’d take open world dueld but only as long as they make “auto-decline and don’t even let me know someone is challenging you” as the default setting). There are actually quite a few ideas I’d like to see implemented on GW2 from other MMOs, like:

WoW’s LFG (from around late TBC). GW2 one is working great so far, but I’d like a couple extra features like being able to advertise yourself as LFG without creating a group yourself (so I can type things like “never done this path before” on myself) and having “whisper the group creator” the default way to join groups instead of just autojoin them.

WoW (again, though other games also have it) dual spec system. Basically saving different builds and recalling them when out of combat with a long cooldown. Other games had it, including the excellent system we had in GW1, but the reason I’m taking WoW one was because of a plugin I used back then that also automatically switched gear depending on which spec I was using, so I got magic damage gear when I switched to caster, physical damage one when I switched to melee spec and so on.

Wardrobe system from Rift and Age of Conan. You had a stats slot for your armor, and an appearance one, so you could use different appearances, and you could even use social armor for appearances or leave a piece uncovered by clicking on the checkmark on the armor piece and leaving it empty (my barbarian in Age of Conan was bare chested most of the times). I know it would go against Anet’s bottom line since the transmutation crystals are good sellers on the gem store, but maybe a system where you have to turn a piece of gear into a skin before you can put it in the appearance slot, and you’d need a T-crystal to do that.

The Secret World style complex puzzles.

Just a few that come to my mind right now.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I was attracted to GW2 because it was a sequel to GW1.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

What is a hipster? I assume it is an attempt at somehow disparaging a group of people that have a different viewpoint of what GW2 is or was supposed to be based on the pre release information made available by the company.

Adine.2184

its one of many sub categories of counter culture groups . The OP is basically saying anyone whi disagrees with him is against mainstream MMOs which is a completely false premise

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

+1.

So much disappointement, in this regard.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

+1.

I’m not disappointed, but the Alchemy takes all kinds I guess.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Jgr.8765

Jgr.8765

Yes, I’m a GW1 hipster. Still playing it btw, started new characters with a friend

locoman.1974

What is a hipster? I assume it is an attempt at somehow disparaging a group of people that have a different viewpoint of what GW2 is or was supposed to be based on the pre release information made available by the company.

If you want to know what a hipster is, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29

If you want to know how internet views hipsters, go here: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hipster

In internetese, basically a hipster is someone that likes anything as long as it’s not mainstream, for example, liking a music band when it’s little know indie, but stop liking it if they make it big and everyone listens to them (“I liked them before….”).

Applied to GW2: non hipster: “I don’t think feature X would work in GW2 because of Y”… hipster “I don’t want X because WoW has it, you might as well go play WoW”.

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I dunno.. I was attracted to GW2 because the devs just seemed to “get it”. Their manifesto was a refreshing change of attitude. Some people may feel like they didn’t live up to it, while others feel they did. Those things weren’t important to me…. what mattered is that they seemed to have the sincere goal of providing the most player-friendly mmo experience ever designed. People will debate their successes and failures for years, but what you can’t deny is that they are aiming for something uniquely exciting here. It might not be to everyone’s taste all the time, but when they hit their mark, its some of the best gaming ever designed.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Do you find that if anything is suggested, if it resembles anything from another game you automatically shoot the idea down?

A feature’s relationship to another game only matters to me in that there is a concrete model I can look at to determine if I do or do not like the idea. If the feature works well in another game, and I think it could fit in GW2, I am all for assimilating it. If it works poorly in another game, or if the nature of the other game it works well in is sufficiently different from GW2 that I don’t think a translation is possible, then obviously I’m opposed. I think knee-jerk “Go play WoW if you want [feature]” reactions have basically zero rhetorical value and should be purged by the moderators just to avoid wasted forum space.

Don’t want your gaming influenced by Mainstream?

What does this even mean? GW2 sold very well. This is not an indy game by any stretch of the imagination, it is mainstream.

Were you attracted to GW by some of the unique features that were displayed in early manifestos?

Absolutely. They had some ideas that sounded very interesting in theory, and which I hadn’t seen attempted elsewhere. And if some other game comes along to scoop up all the pieces of the Manifesto that ANet has given up on, I will happily sign on for their experiment.

In short, I am not interested in Novelty for its own sake, and I prefer to examine proposals on their own merits. When a comparable feature already exists in another product, those merits (or lack thereof) are often easier to discern than in a purely hypothetical model.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

If you want to know what a hipster is, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29

If you want to know how internet views hipsters, go here: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/hipster

In internetese, basically a hipster is someone that likes anything as long as it’s not mainstream, for example, liking a music band when it’s little know indie, but stop liking it if they make it big and everyone listens to them (“I liked them before….”).

Applied to GW2: non hipster: “I don’t think feature X would work in GW2 because of Y”… hipster “I don’t want X because WoW has it, you might as well go play WoW”.

It’s interesting that humans seek to identify themselves into particular groups while also simultaneously distancing themselves from other groups. So many people wish to express their individuality and then seek out others who also share similar ideas of what it means to be a individual and then use confirmation bias to express to others at how they are different. I am curious if humanity will ever develop the capacity to see through it’s own self deception.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Do you find that if anything is suggested, if it resembles anything from another game you automatically shoot the idea down? Don’t want your gaming influenced by Mainstream? Were you attracted to GW by some of the unique features that were displayed in early manifestos?

Pfft. Some of us were (original) “hipsters” before most of you were born.

Look, all MMOs build on the backs of other MMOs, incorporating some “standard” features, refining others, testing waters with “newer” concepts. That’s how they “evolve”.

I’ve got no quarrel with adding features / abilities from other games as long as they are incorporated seamlessly in a way that makes sense for the game and serves the majority of the customer base (even if that excludes me). And as long as the game retains the bones of it’s essence: e.g. it’s an MMO which is defined by “persistent world”.

I absolutely despise Jump Puzzles and do not think they belong in the game. Ditto SAB. However, I am aware that both of those delight a large audience. For the most part, those have been grafted into the game in a way that does not impact the major thrust of game play, and I have an option to not do either.

What attracted me to the game: 5-man play. And mobile combat. Period. The outdoor “community-oriented” play was gravy. I have concerns about the direction of the game, and whether or not ANet plans to add some permanent, quality content. I’m currently tolerating the addition of Living Stories as long as they do not become the overriding thrust of the game.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

goldenwing.8473

PS: I heard that WoW is now incorporating (or planning to) some of the game mechanics/concepts from GW2.

That is pretty “standard”. MMO games have always been “incestuous”.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

+1.

+1 here too such a shame, shows change isn’t always a good thing.

PS: I heard that WoW is now incorporating (or planning to) some of the game mechanics/concepts from GW2.

Actually that is pretty standard for Blizzard, don’t they steal everything they see as profitable from other games, just look at WoW and tell me whats original in their MMO design.

As above MMO change is bad, WoW just copy what people seem to like and it makes them money.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

It depends on the idea , there were some ideas on this game that I did not agree with such as the LFG tool which brings bad memories from another MMO , but there were some that I Didn’t shoot down such as PvP leveling and dynamic quests .

LFG tool is one of the best things ever added to this game.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I dunno.. I was attracted to GW2 because the devs just seemed to “get it”. Their manifesto was a refreshing change of attitude. Some people may feel like they didn’t live up to it, while others feel they did. Those things weren’t important to me…. what mattered is that they seemed to have the sincere goal of providing the most player-friendly mmo experience ever designed. People will debate their successes and failures for years, but what you can’t deny is that they are aiming for something uniquely exciting here. It might not be to everyone’s taste all the time, but when they hit their mark, its some of the best gaming ever designed.

Well said.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

So one is considered to be a “hipster” to want to play a different game than that of every other game out there being the same game with a different skin? GW2 was promised to be different than other games, and for that it got it’s audience. To want it to adapt features from other games -to become other games- is to ask for it to not be GW2 at all. That is “clonism”, and something you have to accept that you’re absorbed into.

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

Lol!!! My characters in the game have hipster in there name.

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster

Adine.2184

+1.

Actually that is pretty standard for Blizzard, don’t they steal everything they see as profitable from other games, just look at WoW and tell me whats original in their MMO design.

As above MMO change is bad, WoW just copy what people seem to like and it makes them money.

Im not a big fan of WoW but when you think about it all RPGs have pretty much copied D&D to some degree WoW just seemed to do it the best and has been the standard since . as far as doing what they think people will like ,Isnt that good business practice? Nobody says oh i think im going to make a product nobody will like and put it on the market .

As for change in MMOs its not inherently bad its how you market it vs how its received thats the important thing.

Posted by: bewhatever.2390

bewhatever.2390

If it was something I detested in the other game, then yes, I will try to shoot it down here (in the one post a month I make on the boards).

GW attracted me with the original design and manifesto. Knew I was never going to sPvP, OK with that because the subgame is sufficiently isolated. To be honest, WvWvW is the heir to DAoC’s RvR, and that’s a good thing.

Just wish the game hadn’t imported platforming from Nintendo sets. The living story is really a copy of the cheezy events RIFT spent a lot of energy on during its incredibly rapid decline.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I was hyped for it because it was supposed to take away all the good things from GW1 and add more. But ye, that barely happened.

Posted by: Farran.3607

Farran.3607

Came to GW2 because I loved GW1. Stayed until now (and will) because although there is a lot I’m not happy with (mostly because of how GW1 worked) there is still a lot more I do like with its variance from the tried and true formulas of other MMOs.

Put this into perspective. After getting a new comp with better graphics a month ago, I decided to give TERA a try because it’s now FTP, rolled a priest. At first, I was all, oooh look at the graphics, the huge kitten monster fights, ooh third person skillshots! Then I was all, wait, why can’t I run while attacking? Why is dodging a skill instead of double tap? Good god, what the hell do I do with all these skills at the same time… why is leveling so boring? Oh god, QUESTS?! Kill X monsters, find X items, I’m not really reading any of the quest dialogue, I’ve got like 50 random quests sitting in my log that I’m not doing because of crappy exp… I’m in a dungeon, doing healing stuff, oh god this is boring, I just sit there and don’t attack to not get aggro and watch bars go up and down… kitten this I’m going back to GW2.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m not a hipster. I’ve played many other MMOs and generally don’t like them…some right away, some over time. Even Guild Wars 2 is an MMO I might not like over time, but so far I can live with the changes being made.

The thing is, if something in another MMO ruined that MMO for me, why would I want it here? If something draws the type of player to the MMO I don’t enjoy playing with…why would I want it here.

It hardly makes me a hipster.

goldenwing.8473

+1.

Im not a big fan of WoW but when you think about it all RPGs have pretty much copied D&D to some degree WoW just seemed to do it the best and has been the standard since . as far as doing what they think people will like ,Isnt that good business practice? Nobody says oh i think im going to make a product nobody will like and put it on the market .

As for change in MMOs its not inherently bad its how you market it vs how its received thats the important thing.

And also how it’s executed. Agree with your post.

Played the original D&D pen and paper and it’s been a fun ride watching all the iterative games that have splintered from there over the years.

GW2 has an interesting twist with mobile combat. WvW, as bewhatever said, is a inheritance from DAoC’s RvR, RIFT had events (poorly handled .. and we can argue about whether they just got them to market first), LoTRO had story instances and the living book that kept track of everything players did (achievements), the list goes on…

Each game that copies something from the previous and then adds something new to mix moves the genre forward.

That’s a good thing.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

yes

150 characters

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Not everything from other games get shut down. Only particular things which other games a/ do best and b/ wouldn’t improve gw2 are shut down. Here’s a short list:
- raids, trinity, vertical progression
- more levels in an expansion
- mounts, flying mounts
- automated dungeon finder
- duelling in PVE

Most of these will not be implemented because they promote griefing, negative competition and elitism. If you want this kind of gameplay, there’s games doing it almost perfectly. Feel free to play those instead.
This is a videogame. People play this for fun. Enabling fun is far more important than enabling elitism. This is an inclusive game, for better or worse. Deal with it.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Farran.3607

I never understood the obsession with mounts.

Ok, so you have a large cat you can ride on while I have the basic horse or something. So?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Ok, so you have a large cat you can ride on while I have the basic horse or something. So?

To me, mounts are another way to customize your character and differentiate. Some of my characters would want a more graceful mount, some a more powerful/scary looking mount. It’s like a new outfit. I don’t care about getting around…I care about what mount my character would choose.

And, of course, it’s another thing to collect. Sorta like big minis. lol

Farran.3607

To me, mounts are another way to customize your character and differentiate. Some of my characters would want a more graceful mount, some a more powerful/scary looking mount. It’s like a new outfit. I don’t care about getting around…I care about what mount my character would choose.

I get that it’s just… well look at it this way. I like new armor sets and stuff because it lets me choose my appearance why still actually impacting something about my character’s stats. Weapons are the same thing.

But mounts… you ride on them. You don’t need them. Especially in a game with WPs.

Maybe it’s just me but… eh.

marnick.4305

That’s one side of the argument. The other is “my 100% mount is faster than your 40% mount you suxxor lolol”. In a game with waypoints, that argument can be avoided.

Unfortunately, mounts tend to have a power creep all of their own. And who’s fastest is bestest in the minds of some. If the vocal kittens scare away the people who want fun, your game dies. So best to not give them a voice in the first place.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

i like how you mention mounts “differentiate”, like they add some epic level of individuality but ‘your idea’ is comletely jacked from a different game LMAO maybe ANET ‘differentiated’ themselves by not having mounts and using Waypoints. O.o “Come one! Come all! Join our individuality club!” lol get a clue

marnick.4305

i like how you mention mounts “differentiate”, like they add some epic level of individuality but ‘your idea’ is comletely jacked from a different game LMAO maybe ANET ‘differentiated’ themselves by not having mounts and using Waypoints. O.o “Come one! Come all! Join our individuality club!” lol get a clue

It’s about reading between the lines. When you give those people mounts without a speedboost, they won’t be happy. If you give them fast mounts, they’ll want even faster mounts. If everyone has those, they’ll complain it’s too easy to get them.

Which, in the end, is not worth the trouble. Better to not start it.

Posted by: Sinifair.1026

Sinifair.1026

Now you’re just being ignorant.
- Blizzard took certain concepts and made them better.

Every concept (and that includes all that you find in GW2) is stolen from somewhere else. There’s nothing here I haven’t seen before.

When making an MMO, you first have to understand what an MMO is (and if making a sequel to GW1, you have to understand what players so loved about it, which right now isn’t quite showing).
- To innovate anything, you have to understand the value of what you’re replacing, when your design philosophy on the concept is another to how it originally looked.

Sinifair.1026

It’s about reading between the lines. When you give those people mounts without a speedboost, they won’t be happy. If you give them fast mounts, they’ll want even faster mounts. If everyone has those, they’ll complain it’s too easy to get them.

It’s better to have something to work towards in a game. Mounts used to be a feat. They weren’t necessary, really, but very nice to have.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

It’s better to have something to work towards in a game. Mounts used to be a feat. They weren’t necessary, really, but very nice to have.

The trouble is with anything which gives an actual enhancement, is that it eventually moves from being nice-but-not-necessary, to actually essential and expected.

So I would be much happier for GW2 to stay away from mounts, and give us other things to work towards, whether it’s housing, or appearance stuff, or even Ascended gear (which would be less game-impacting than mounts in many ways).

I’ve seen this happen in many games. In DAoC, initially all fast movement was by “speed” classes (i.e. ones with chants which acted similarly to a faster Swiftness in GW2). Much later, mounts were added, intended to be largely cosmetic, because they gave lower speeds than the better speed buffs – but people started counting on them, building around them, expecting you to have them, and suddenly they weren’t purely cosmetic or minor conveniences any more, they were something you were seriously “meant” to have.

So yeah, let’s stay away from mounts. It actually the opposite of Hipster-ism, too – you don’t stay away just because it’s “so mainstream”, you stay away because it’s not a good design.

marnick.4305

It’s a game. Working is for the 10 hours before playing games.

What I want to work towards is completion of the story, map completion and getting all skills/spells. All other arbitrary grind nonsense is just delaying the fun. I don’t want to work in a game before I can have fun.

locoman.1974

It’s interesting that humans seek to identify themselves into particular groups while also simultaneously distancing themselves from other groups. So many people wish to express their individuality and then seek out others who also share similar ideas of what it means to be a individual and then use confirmation bias to express to others at how they are different. I am curious if humanity will ever develop the capacity to see through it’s own self deception.

It’s human nature, and something we see every day on the internet. We, humans, are social animals, and are compelled by our own nature to form groups. It was an important survival mechanism back when we were just getting down from the trees to form tribes, and we still have most of the same instincts we had back then even if we don’t really need them to survive in today’s world.

Basically we seek to form groups, if we don’t need them anymore for defense or resource gathering, we do it with simmilar interests, and once inside the group we hace the need to see our group as the “right” one, and one way to be sure of that is to see every other group as the “wrong” one, as the enemy, in a way.

We see it all the time in sports fans, religious beliefs, political debates and so on, and we definitively see it in gaming, and much more in heavily social games like MMOs. Which is why we have things like game fanboys (proving their choice of game is the right one), and people that trash talk about games they’ve never played, or even haven’t been released yet (they see it as a threat to their “right” choice), or that don’t even play a game anymore yet still frequent the forums to talk bad about it at any chance they’ve got.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

If we were hipsters, we wouldn’t be playing. GW2 is not underground enough.

Adine.2184

I see the M word was used this thread is done for .

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I had already quit my last MMO and was scouting around for a new game when I stumbled upon GW2. Played in the 2nd beta weekend and fell absolutely in love with the combat system and the beauty of the game.

Still love the combat and the beauty and really impressed with what they’ve done so far in one short year. Don’t know if I like it because it’s so different (hipster) or if it’s just the right game for me.

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

If we were hipsters, we wouldn’t be playing. GW2 is not underground enough.

really….most of the non hipster left already…..

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I liked Guild Wars before it was cool.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Sinifair.1026

It’s a game. Working is for the 10 hours before playing games.

What I want to work towards is completion of the story, map completion and getting all skills/spells. All other arbitrary grind nonsense is just delaying the fun. I don’t want to work in a game before I can have fun.

You want an arcade game. This is an MMO (and I don’t mean that as an “Get out of the game, fool!” I mean that an MMO cannot use the “Select difficulty” or just offer you the game to suit your skill level. It needs different things for players of different skill levels to work towards, and if the skill level of an individual player rises, he/she can go for the harder content and rewards there).
- Different genres for different needs. Arcade games are supposed to be instant fun and easy to get into. MMO’s needs to have long term goals and something to work towards and something that takes skills. Games shouldn’t expect you to complete them, they should expect you to try and improve your skill (and in some cases but not overly much: gear. I think GW1 with the gear for cosmetics and not stats suits the franchise just right).

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Good dungeon and skill balance design? That makes for good fun and fun is too mainstream.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Were you attracted to GW by some of the unique features that were displayed in early manifestos?

Yeah, pity they changed.

Promised so much delivered so little.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

One sec, I need to get my thick-rimmed glasses out to read the title to this thread before posting.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

Well, the troll has been fed. Move along.