Is the maize balm rat farm an exploit?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

How is this different then the cursed shore storyline farm? That did get nerfed.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Posted by: Cyanchiv.2583

Cyanchiv.2583

Consider this – it’s an instance that you are only supposed to visit once. Not once per character, once per account. By repeating the start to farm you are exploiting a loophole, and by using the balm on the massive amount of critters there, you are exploiting the oversight of the creatures in the instance dropping loot (which doesn’t happen in any story instances).

This post is completely inaccurate. If the instance was only supposed to be played once it would not be open to playing again. Repeat content, as was clarified with key farming, is not an exploit. I would not believe using the tonics in this way would be considered an exploit, as you are using it as intended. There is no bug involved, the tonic is working as it should. It may have been unexpected to Anet, but you are not abusing the system here.

Posted by: Mizu.4508

Mizu.4508

This is really tedious, so unless you are capable of shutting your brain off and just mindlessly pressing 111 on ambient creatures, then this is not for you lol. Also as someone has stated earlier, DR hits rather quickly. For me it only took half an hour before the drop rate turned to poop.

Posted by: shanan.8594

shanan.8594

So did they “fix” this? this morning i did the instance got rats logged out tried to do it again and no rats showed up. What happened?

Posted by: Alvain.7364

Alvain.7364

I would this is highly unfair. As this farming method has been sanctioned by Anet, it’s providing players who did not complete the instance with a way to earn gold that is not generally available to the rest of the player base. If it had been so that this instance could be entered freely, and not account-locked once you finish it on ONE character, then it would have been fine. The amount of gold this is making must be causing ripple effects throughout the rest of the economy, thereby punishing players who completed the instance.

Go anet-logic.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I would this is highly unfair. As this farming method has been sanctioned by Anet, it’s providing players who did not complete the instance with a way to earn gold that is not generally available to the rest of the player base. If it had been so that this instance could be entered freely, and not account-locked once you finish it on ONE character, then it would have been fine. The amount of gold this is making must be causing ripple effects throughout the rest of the economy, thereby punishing players who completed the instance.

Go anet-logic.

Go ‘learn to economics’ logic. This is not “making” any gold. The bags drop no coin. They only drop items/mats, most of which aren’t that useful. The only thing this can do is transfer wealth. Surely, there will be some ‘ripples’, but nothing unintended or unaccounted for

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Talk about pedantic reasoning Tman. Yes, there is transfer of wealth from players who are locked out of instance to players who aren’t. Who cares if they are not literally creating gold, they are still making money for themselves by effectively stealing it from people who played the instance as intended (the latter are forced to either buy bags from the farmers or farm at a much slower rate if they want them). And I am 100% sure this was unintended; if Anet actually intended for the playerbase to be split into have and have nots for an arbitrary and unknowable reason like completing content that is meant to be completed, then that bodes very poorly indeed for the game.

I wonder if when people say they are “making money” in real life you correct them because they aren’t creating bills with a paper press…

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

(edited by Jabberwock.9014)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Talk about pedantic reasoning Tman. Yes, there is transfer of wealth from players who are locked out of instance to players who aren’t. Who cares if they are not literally creating gold, they are still making money for themselves by effectively stealing it from people who played the instance as intended (the latter are forced to either buy bags from the farmers or farm at a much slower rate if they want them).

I wonder if when people say they are “making money” in real life you correct them because they aren’t creating bills with a paper press…

“Stealing?”

Really?

Selling to those who are in no way required to buy, lacking in any way the ability to take from others without their active agreement and participation is essentially stealing now?

I finished the instance right away myself. Don’t have time to play today but perhaps I should log in to make sure that my banked gold hasnt been stolen.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

There goes the pedantic police again; construct some more strawmen will you? Please don’t latch onto a single word I say and avoid the rest of the argument.

But to address you, yes they are not held to a fire and forced to give their money away, but if they want to get ToT bags in similar numbers to the farmers than they will have to. People who are locked out of the instance are in a very unfavorable position right now, forced to buy from a virtual oligopoly of farmers who can produce bags at an immensely higher rate than the rest of the population. Yes the farmers are not literally stealing from other players wallets like a mugger on the street, but money is being transferred (grudgingly) at a high rate from the have nots to the haves simply because the former played the instance as designed.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Alvain.7364

Thanks, Jabberwock.

I understand that the farm is not considered an exploit, as the demand is purely player created. However, so is the whole economy in GW2. And therefore locking some people out of the market is in essence unfair considering how the economy of GW2 is based on anyone beeing able to aquire the goods traded for.

Posted by: silva.5938

silva.5938

Thanks Anet, best farming spot ever. You can do the same thing in any other part of the world with three ambiental creatures in a little space, so I do understand why this is not considered an exploit, but I like the luck of being late to the dungeon party.
For the first time I feel rewarded for not having so much time to play as others. You missed the spot? bwa ah ha ha ha ha ah ah ah ha ha happy halloween!

p.s. c’mon, really, just find a place with 3 ambiental creatures (max number convertible in a single shot) and stop whining

Posted by: direx.8207

direx.8207

Does anyone know if any of the regular dungeons have a decent amount of ambient creatures in them (story or explorable) If we could find another instance where people can farm then everyone can be happy.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

p.s. c’mon, really, just find a place with 3 ambiental creatures (max number convertible in a single shot) and stop whining

Sure, show me another place where I can do that AND have them instantly respawn, like they do when you leave and re-enter the Halloween instance.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: kazafz.6780

kazafz.6780

Thanks Anet, best farming spot ever. You can do the same thing in any other part of the world with three ambiental creatures in a little space, so I do understand why this is not considered an exploit, but I like the luck of being late to the dungeon party.
For the first time I feel rewarded for not having so much time to play as others. You missed the spot? bwa ah ha ha ha ha ah ah ah ha ha happy halloween!

^ Agree

Kazuals Only

Posted by: aRestless.6213

aRestless.6213

There’s only one other place known to me in the entire game world where this is possible. And you can imagine that you’ll never have this place alone for you. Even without the trolls (and they do exist) trying to farm this is a pain.

Never lose track of your friends again, with Who’s Talking for Overwolf

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Things I’ve learned..

1. DR is very much character bound
2. DR can be “cleaned off” by AFKing in another map for 25 minutes (maybe 20?)
3. I get a consistent 30 times through (one balm each time) before DR immediately turns my 9 ToT bags into 3.
4. Each run takes me about 45 seconds, WP to pickup and reload.
5. Getting 9 each time requires you avoid overlapping candy corn spawns. Give them space. and you can take a few extra seconds to get a good shot.
6. You can use 2 balms per run, but I don’t find it as efficient, because of #5. If you don’t have an SSD, it might be worth it.

As of this writing, I was looking at 16-17g/hr profit after buying the maize at a high price.

Now you know what to do, this Sunday, if you have access to the instance.

The most important thing I see, here, is that this is an opportunity to get a very “pure” sampling of how diminishing returns works with loot farming. You are supposed to get 1 bag per candy corn, and there is no magic find effect on it. The loot table is taken out of the mix and it’s right down to: how much can you do before you are punished for it.

From this experience, I am once more concerned about the value of MF buffs, as the “timeout” before they become pointless appears to be much lower than the length of the buff. Unless you have two farms to swap between every 20 minutes, you are losing potentially up to 30% of your buff time in cooldown on another map. Not good for Cursed Shore farmers, who have to spend long periods just hanging out in the map waiting for the big events to start.

That said, because this farm did not appear to be affected by DR before the patch (I ran it for a good hour with no impact on drops), I feel there is reason to theorize that DR is selectively applicable, as needed, to maps.

(edited by Allisa Wonderland.8192)

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

Consider this – it’s an instance that you are only supposed to visit once. Not once per character, once per account. By repeating the start to farm you are exploiting a loophole, and by using the balm on the massive amount of critters there, you are exploiting the oversight of the creatures in the instance dropping loot (which doesn’t happen in any story instances).

This post is completely inaccurate. If the instance was only supposed to be played once it would not be open to playing again. Repeat content, as was clarified with key farming, is not an exploit. I would not believe using the tonics in this way would be considered an exploit, as you are using it as intended. There is no bug involved, the tonic is working as it should. It may have been unexpected to Anet, but you are not abusing the system here.

How is this open to being played again after being completed as intended? Other than waiting for next year’s repeat?

With Key farming you have to complete the content, get the reward, start over, do all the work, and repeat. With this, you don’t complete anything – you either Waypoint out or Character Select and back. Anyone that completes the Personal Story for the Key can easily create the new character and do it again. Anyone that completes this Halloween story cannot come back later.

This lines up with several previous story instances (Personal and otherwise) where they’ve deemed it an exploit due to people not completing it as intended. It also lines up with several previous open-world event being patched because people weren’t completing them as intended.

I honestly don’t mind people farming the instance. I mind the lack of consistency from Arenanet. Not only are they not being consistent with their reasoning on what’s an exploit, the reasoning why this particular instance is “okay” is just silly. Because every other exploit ever done had nothing to do with this “player driven” economy? Ha!

Posted by: TheTroy.2386

TheTroy.2386

I am actually more concerned about the shared farm. People are using low level characters (2-5) to tag the transformed mobs to get additional bags. The lvl80 will then kill them. This allows up to 5 people to farm the ToT bags simultaneously in the dungeon. Potentially more in open world (such as Rata Sum), depending on the damage per hit.

Doing this allows for a single vial to yield (5×9) 45 ToT bags. If you don’t deem this exploit then I really don’t know what would be called an exploit any more.

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I am actually more concerned about the shared farm. People are using low level characters (2-5) to tag the transformed mobs to get additional bags. The lvl80 will then kill them. This allows up to 5 people to farm the ToT bags simultaneously in the dungeon. Potentially more in open world (such as Rata Sum), depending on the damage per hit.

Doing this allows for a single vial to yield (5×9) 45 ToT bags. If you don’t deem this exploit then I really don’t know what would be called an exploit any more.

There is no concern here. Only one person can transform the rats to bags and the rats do not loop.

I spend equal time using a level 20 character and a level, both are able to kill the candy corns they create in equal time.

Posted by: aRestless.6213

aRestless.6213

It’s not an exploit because there is no bug.

And for Rata Sum: On my map there’s a troll standing afk on the spawn and putting the Ranger’s Flame Trap on auto attack. So you can pretty much forget open world spots.

Never lose track of your friends again, with Who’s Talking for Overwolf

Tman.6349

Talk about pedantic reasoning Tman. Yes, there is transfer of wealth from players who are locked out of instance to players who aren’t. Who cares if they are not literally creating gold, they are still making money for themselves by effectively stealing it from people who played the instance as intended (the latter are forced to either buy bags from the farmers or farm at a much slower rate if they want them). And I am 100% sure this was unintended; if Anet actually intended for the playerbase to be split into have and have nots for an arbitrary and unknowable reason like completing content that is meant to be completed, then that bodes very poorly indeed for the game.

Yes exactly. In RL, unless you are printing bills, you are not ‘making’ money. Wealth is only being transferred based on acquisition/expenteture of found resources, labor, or as part of intellectual proprioty. It must maintain that others value those things for their goals or what they need. People have found a smart effective way to provide a demanded commodity (inginenuity/gathering resources) and are doing what they need to (labor) to provide that commodity to those willing to buy.

We have a fiat money system in RL (the actual paper has nearly 0 value other than what society agrees it to be worth.) The only exception is ‘coin money’ as it has an intrinsic value due to the metal it is made of (though that is heading the way of paper bills as well.) This is part of how inflation happens. This is also exactly how the ‘fiat money system’ (gold) in GW2 works, as well. Before you name call, maybe you should read books.

Tldr; someone found a clever way to provide a commodity at a faster cheaper rate to cater to a high demand. That has also brought prices of that item down. Maybe you should have used ‘INGENUITY’ to have discovered this method and you wouldn’t be here, jelly, complaining about life isn’t fair. I don’t blame Henry Ford for my missing out on the chance to invent the automobile b/c it’s not fair that part of peoples wealth isn’t being distributed to me…

Try being a pioneer of Tyria and find another place where you can make use of the balm/ambients.

(edited by Tman.6349)

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Here’s a short video of the farm, using a level 25 character.

11xp per candy corn. Not much for leveling!

http://youtu.be/gt-yV1TgOqo

Alvain.7364

Some guy got a precursor out of these bags. Now I’m sure happy Anet in their infinite wisdom won’t let me farm these since I finished the instance as intended. G €ffing G.

Posted by: ajhak.9716

ajhak.9716

I really do not understand why the players that did the story are being punished. Why is there not a replay button for the instance lie there is for the living world instances. It just does not really make sense that when we do the content created we get punished while other people can repeatedly farm because they did no do the story. I hope a replay button can be added to the instance.

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I do appreciate that it isn’t the greatest news for players who have already completed their festival storyline. Only because I have an alt account that I didn’t play the story on is the opportunity available for me.

Positive outcomes of the farm:

1) since it’s a solo instance, there is no toxic zerg mob yelling at people for trying to complete events.
2) people buying thousands of bags will benefit from the increased supply.

On that note, I’ve created a second video, showing how to farm with 2 balms per run instead of one. Note: I am only doing this farm, and posting the videos, because a red post officially stated that this isn’t an exploit.

http://youtu.be/-IG3OcP6WB8

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

It is an exploit. The red post just officialy stated that arenanet now approve using exploit of game mechanism.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I do appreciate that it isn’t the greatest news for players who have already completed their festival storyline. Only because I have an alt account that I didn’t play the story on is the opportunity available for me.

Positive outcomes of the farm:

1) since it’s a solo instance, there is no toxic zerg mob yelling at people for trying to complete events.
2) people buying thousands of bags will benefit from the increased supply.

On that note, I’ve created a second video, showing how to farm with 2 balms per run instead of one. Note: I am only doing this farm, and posting the videos, because a red post officially stated that this isn’t an exploit.

http://youtu.be/-IG3OcP6WB8

Don’t worry about it. I’d be doing the farm endlessly, too. Not your fault you’re not locked out, or that ANET has given you their blessing. Take advantage of a good situation. It sucks to be locked out, but being mad at people who aren’t locked out won’t accomplish anything.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Exeon.4358

Exeon.4358

It is an exploit. The red post just officialy stated that arenanet now approve using exploit of game mechanism.

An exploit(er) is defined as the use of an bug or glitch in a way that wasn’t intended by devs to said player advantages
If developers say it’s “ok” it means that said bug or glitch is no longer “unintended” and it would be classified as sort of a feature.

So in that sense this kind of farming cannot be exploiting.

And before you make assumptions I’m locked out so i can’t farm this either, nor do i really agree with this farm as it will throw off the economy for those lucky players, or multiaccount players.

If anything there should be equal to all and i wouldn’t care at that point, as economy would shift again and balance itself out.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

An exploit(er) is defined as the use of an bug or glitch in a way that wasn’t intended by devs to said player advantages

Exploit: “make use of (a situation) in a way considered unfair”
i just made over 20g in under an hour by selling ToT bags to people who can’t enter the farm instance. (because they completed the story)
i’ve also bought over 50g of maize so when the price of maize goes up i can make money off the farmers too!
exploiting the situation, an exploit doesn’t always have to mean breaking all sorts of rules!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It cannot be an exploit within the context of GW2.

Exploits are not allowed.
This is allowed.

Therefore this is not an exploit.

Can’t deny that its a bummer that I did not find out about the farm until after I had finished the instance and so I cannot benefit from it.

Oh well, if this is the worst thing that happens life is pretty darned good.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think I know what’s going on here.

I bet that the “farm” is going on in China, too. If they call it an exploit, then they have to patch it, and that’s even harder now. And if they call it an exploit, they’ll have to start punishing people…. including China players.

Easier to let this one slide for a couple of weeks. And let’s be honest, in a good zerg, you can still get a ton of ToT bags without this. For people with machines that zone slower, the zerg may even be faster. They’ll just quietly patch out the rats for next year, if the event even comes back.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Southern.8973

Southern.8973

I think I know what’s going on here.

I bet that the “farm” is going on in China, too. If they call it an exploit, then they have to patch it, and that’s even harder now. And if they call it an exploit, they’ll have to start punishing people…. including China players.

Easier to let this one slide for a couple of weeks. And let’s be honest, in a good zerg, you can still get a ton of ToT bags without this. For people with machines that zone slower, the zerg may even be faster. They’ll just quietly patch out the rats for next year, if the event even comes back.

ArenaNet doesn’t have anything to do with the operation of the game in China. All they provide is the game engine & patches. A Chinese company actually “runs” the game there.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

ArenaNet doesn’t have anything to do with the operation of the game in China. All they provide is the game engine & patches. A Chinese company actually “runs” the game there.

Mostly true, though they do have to provide the patches and get them approved by that company before they can be put in.

If China players are doing the “farm”, then trying to patch it can go bad in two ways. One: It’s patched, and the players there are upset. ANet doesn’t have as good of a control over their PR there as they do in the West (not that it’s all that good over here right now). They might take a PR hit over it, which might make daddy NCSoft upset with them.

Two: They declare it an exploit and send the patch over for approval, but the company decides that it’s not an exploit in their eyes or just decides the patch isn’t worth the bother for such a short event. At that point, there’s an “Exploit” that’s getting cracked down on in the West, but is going full force in China. Another PR hit, this time everywhere but China.

For such a short-lived problem, I don’t think they’ll find it worth the risks to get any bad PR about it. They’ll let it happen, and quietly patch out the rats for next year.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: SirPookins.9851

SirPookins.9851

Felt the need to post on this, but this feels and looks a lot like a bug/exploit. The developers did not intend for the drop rate of bags to be as high as they are, they did not intend for the mob rate to be as high as it is for the rats. Sure, there are other places where you can farm ambient creatures, but only allowing a certain sect of people to farm is a bug. Fix this, make it repeatable so everyone can access it, or remove it completely. Will submit bug report, my friends all agree as well.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I don’t think at the time of the official statement, that ArenaNet looked deep enough into the issue. Chris basically said the same thing I said. In short: “Just because you are making a lot of money, doesn’t make it an exploit.”

That doesn’t mean that the devs won’t patch it, and if they don’t, I can guarantee those rats will be green instead of white next year if the event is the same.

You won’t get banned for it though. Its not so much an exploit as a developer oversight.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Tman.6349

Some guy got a precursor out of these bags. Now I’m sure happy Anet in their infinite wisdom won’t let me farm these since I finished the instance as intended. G €ffing G.

Nobody received a Precursor from these bags. That’s ignorance at best and a complete lie (to justify something you’re ‘missing out on’) at worst.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

You can get around 250-300 ToT bags before hitting the DR wall. Go to the labyrinth for a little bit, play couple rounds of PvP with Halloween Track then back to the maize farm. It’s been a very profitable weekend. My guess is they won’t fix this it’s just a 2 week farm,why waste resources on some short term farm. I do wonder how long before it gets flooded and loses it’s profitability.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

Tman.6349

I find it funny that so many complain that Anet’s current system of Living Story and temporary content is useless and only worth half an hour ‘playable content’, so the destroy this new content as quickly as possible. Then, low and behold, those same people are here QQing about how they rushed through it (instead of taking there time to explore what it might actually have to OFFER) and then spam QQ threads about how they can no longer access the content which could have proved valuable to their own ends.

After reading so many threats about how the implement so much “content with little value that can be grinded out in less than an hour”, I have no sympathy for you. Furthermore, I absolutely LoL at all these threads about, “Plz roll back [X Content] because I veraciously consumed it thinking it was just ‘more’ of my preconception of ‘junk’, but now I realize it had the potential to be very valuable!”

There are PLENTY more groups of ‘ambient creatures’ in the world. I’m sorry you were so adamant about knocking out that Meta Achiement within 2 hours of the patch going live. You’re not entitled to call a ‘Mulligan’ on your impatience. Those who realized that that this is a two-week event, and where in no rush, will be happy to sell you the bags that you’d like to have. Furthermore, you should appreciate their ‘slow and steady’ handling of this event, as they are keeping the prices of these bags low/reasonable.

There are plenty of other places with groups of ambients you can farm as well. In fact, there’s an entire thread full of suggestions of decent locations for those who wanted to demolish the story instance ASAP.

*If ALL ELSE FAILS, ‘Go tell your mommy…’

Posted by: Sinzaku.2980

Sinzaku.2980

In a player driven economy, the demand of an item surpassing the supply generated by the playerbase will increase the value of it. While there are some items in these bags that are not based around cosmetics (the low drop rate of T6 mats), the price of these bags is directly relative to the cosmetic value that is being placed on them. While currently profitable, that profit is derived directly from other players and their willingness to play a higher price. In essence, this is a transfer of wealth not wealth generation.

As far as this specific spawn of ambients is concerned, it’s defiantly one of the faster ones to farm. As long as the playerbase is willing to pay for that item, and the demand remains higher than the supply, it will be profitable. This is not an exploit, it’s the playerbase saying “thank you for farming this, because we didn’t want to”.

Ok then what about blix farm before nerf cuz fail an event was more rewarding than success it ?
On this way the current Maize farm is litteraly against the rules but since only “fews” ppl can do it then its not ? Kinda confused with game rules now.

If a part of the community that completed the story are locked out it doesnt matter what the bags are rewarding with cuz the mechanic of this farm isnt intended you cant say it isnt an exploit o_o

If it was then we could be able to replay the story like Ls ones but i wont teach anything since Anet said its legit then it must be right ?

“Necromancer in Heart and Soul” ~ #8k Hours#Asura
-(EvE ~ EU)-

(edited by Sinzaku.2980)

Tman.6349

In a player driven economy, the demand of an item surpassing the supply generated by the playerbase will increase the value of it. While there are some items in these bags that are not based around cosmetics (the low drop rate of T6 mats), the price of these bags is directly relative to the cosmetic value that is being placed on them. While currently profitable, that profit is derived directly from other players and their willingness to play a higher price. In essence, this is a transfer of wealth not wealth generation.

As far as this specific spawn of ambients is concerned, it’s defiantly one of the faster ones to farm. As long as the playerbase is willing to pay for that item, and the demand remains higher than the supply, it will be profitable. This is not an exploit, it’s the playerbase saying “thank you for farming this, because we didn’t want to”.

Ok then what about blix farm before nerf cuz fail an event was more rewarding than success it ?
On this way the current Maize farm is litteraly against the rules but since only “fews” ppl can do it then its not ? Kinda confused with game rules now.

If a part of the community that completed the story are locked out it doesnt matter what the bags are rewarding with cuz the mechanic of this farm isnt intended you cant say it isnt an exploit o_o

If it was then we could be able to replay the story like Ls ones but i wont teach anything since Anet said its legit then it must be right ?

The ‘Blix farm’ was not an ‘exploit’ per se. The problem was that it is a scaled event allowing MANY people to acquire HUGE amounts of champ bags by scaling the event. After killing a bunch of Champs, people would then make sure the event ‘failed’ because it had a VERY short respawn time after failure. This allowed dozens of people to farm dozens of Champ Bags per hour. Champ Bags drop COIN as well as loot. This is the DEFINITION of ‘creating gold’ and is very bad for the economy.

Farming ToT bags does, ABSOLUTELY, no such thing. All it can do is transfer wealth from those willing to buy and to keep prices of related items at a very low rate. Candy Corn, Skulls, and Nougat prices are a perfect example of how this is good for everyone. Almost all of the rewards this year, which people paid 1000-2000% more for last year, are easily accessible and start at a meager 2.5 gold (versus 100+ gold in some cases last year). So instead of acting like you’ve been ’bamboozled, you should, instead, appreciate the relative ease put forth in acquiring the rewards this year which were considered, nearly, impossible last year.

Carlotta cost $8 +1000 CC last year. Now you can pick it up for just shy of 3g. Prince was 20,000 pieces of CC last year. Now you can get it for free or, at most, for 10% of that (3 Cobbs are given as achievement rewards) this year.

Tldr; None of these ‘pleads for justice’ or feelings of ‘Anet screwed me’ hold any water. I’m sorry you didn’t get to be the intrepid mind to discover this farm instead of rushing through content silly nilly instead of exploring this years possibilities first.

Perhaps less time complaining on the forums and spending more time finding an alternative (their are 3 of these threads currently) will be a better use of your time instead of plees of entitlement because ’you’re missing out’.

Posted by: Typhus.3502

Typhus.3502

I love this farm.

[TW] Pumped

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

IMO this was the biggest design flaw that gw2 pve had in 2 years. It just destroyed the already weak risk/reward factor that this game had. People in the lab spaming 1 with a staff or failing a dungeon again and again have the second best gold/hour only behind trading post flip.

Where are the zerker players that like to brag about how dungeons and rewards should be skill based?

IMO this is similar to use Arrow carts to hit stuff where a normal screen resolution cant see. It is consider legit ( he is just “changing” the screen resolution) but is the result of a poorly design option taken by the devs and gives some people an unfair advantage against the others. Maybe they just dont care because it will disapear when the halloween event ends and it is easier to just let time pass.

I have the instance but prefer to don’t it because I think it is bad for the game in a long term. For me this anets post is like saying: we dont care about risk/reward or fair play in pve.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Pennry.9215

@Tman.6349
You cannot say that Trick-or-Treat bags do not create gold when a good chunk of it’s contents can be vendored. People, like my self, that are buying the bags for a chance at the rarer contents should be vending a good bit of those items as they are either not selling on the TP or (more commonly) selling at vendor pricing anyway.

With current pricing, I’m only losing a few gold per stack of bags from selling whatever I get from them. A good chunk of that is from a vendor. I shuffle some gold to someone, but then create some more to recoup some losses.

EDIT: And if I were able to farm with exploit, I’d just be making gold off the contents of the bags and not shuffling any anywhere.

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Drop itens does NOT create gold. It actually removes 15% of the gold when selling in the TP. The Halloween events are actually removing lots of gold from the game, BUT they promote gold concentration in the hand of few players.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Posted by: Kasima.8143

Kasima.8143

I don’t think at the time of the official statement, that ArenaNet looked deep enough into the issue. Chris basically said the same thing I said. In short: “Just because you are making a lot of money, doesn’t make it an exploit.”

That doesn’t mean that the devs won’t patch it, and if they don’t, I can guarantee those rats will be green instead of white next year if the event is the same.

You won’t get banned for it though. Its not so much an exploit as a developer oversight.

Exactly. It might be a BALANCE issue, but it is in no way an EXPLOIT.
People like to confuse the above 2.

Pennry.9215

Drop itens does NOT create gold. It actually removes 15% of the gold when selling in the TP. The Halloween events are actually removing lots of gold from the game, BUT they promote gold concentration in the hand of few players.

You can’t really say they do not create gold if you’re putting a clause of needing to sell it on the Trading Post. If they ever take the vendor values off items, then you can say that they do not create gold.

Posted by: KINGRPG.3492

KINGRPG.3492

300-500G per day is awesome for me (a player age 6,849 hours 42 minutes who never got any precursor from mobs or MF)

Sorry for my beginner English / http://www.kingrpg.net My Blog

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

fixing forum page bug

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

The ‘Blix farm’ was not an ‘exploit’ per se. The problem was that it is a scaled event allowing MANY people to acquire HUGE amounts of champ bags by scaling the event. After killing a bunch of Champs, people would then make sure the event ‘failed’ because it had a VERY short respawn time after failure. This allowed dozens of people to farm dozens of Champ Bags per hour. Champ Bags drop COIN as well as loot. This is the DEFINITION of ‘creating gold’ and is very bad for the economy.

Farming ToT bags does, ABSOLUTELY, no such thing. All it can do is transfer wealth from those willing to buy and to keep prices of related items at a very low rate. Candy Corn, Skulls, and Nougat prices are a perfect example of how this is good for everyone. Almost all of the rewards this year, which people paid 1000-2000% more for last year, are easily accessible and start at a meager 2.5 gold (versus 100+ gold in some cases last year). So instead of acting like you’ve been ’bamboozled, you should, instead, appreciate the relative ease put forth in acquiring the rewards this year which were considered, nearly, impossible last year.

I don’t even… * sigh *

Bob and Alice are farmers.

• Bob farms mobs which only drop coins. In an hour, he can kill mobs which drop 10 gold. He’s not using any consumables or anything during that time, so he’s generating this gold out of thin air (and his time).
  • Alice farms mobs which only drop shinies and cuties. In an hour, she can kill mobs which drop 100 shinies and 20 cuties. She’s not using any consumables or anything during that time, so she’s generating these items out of thin air (and her time).
    • Cuties are account bound and not tradeable. She keeps them to say “Awwww…” every now and then.
    • Shinies are tradeable. Shinies have a vendor price of 5 silver. If Alice decides to vendor these items, she gets 5 gold.
    • Shinies also have a current market price of 15 silver. If Alice decides to sell these items now, she gets 15 gold – 15% tax = 12,75 gold.
    • Shinies will have a stable future market price of 25 silver in one month. If Alice decides to sell these items one month later, she gets 25 gold – 15% tax = 21,25 gold.
  • So, Bob generates 10 gold per hour out of thin air.
  • And Alice generates at least 5 gold out of thin air but can get up to 21,25 gold per hour depending on the way she manages her loot.

Was that clear enough?

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Alvain.7364

So, since some of us are blocked from partaking in this Anet approved farm, and thereby loosing out on earning wild amount of money, here is a link someone posted on how to get inside this farm if you have completed the story as intended.