Is the maize balm rat farm an exploit?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

i checked the vigil story ( luckily i have a char at that point of the personal story):

millions of rats… but no drops :-(

I was under the impression that was the farming spot everyone was talking about. I didn’t know of any other large areas of rats.

You have the freedom to make a new character, level it up and get to that story instance.

Just because a farming method is based on dumb, unrepeatable luck – it’s not exploitative.

The instance is account wide, last time I checked. So we have the freedom to buy a new account and then farm it. Yeah, no thanks.

Would seem I owe you an apology, I was mistaken where this farm was taking place.

Posted by: hellchamp.5412

hellchamp.5412

LOL , every one of you that came here to post about some one getting something you are not need to grow up. Every day there is a new QQ post about some one farming and making more of this or that then some one. just play the game and have fun farming the mad king realm.

Posted by: Bebunw.8137

Bebunw.8137

just play the game and have fun farming the mad king realm.

Excepted farming is not fun :p

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Why i personally see it as an exploit is because people who did the quest as intended have no more access to this method of farming, while others who discovered profit daily from it with the possibility of finishing the story in the very last day.

So people who play the content as intended get a big shaft from all points of view. If that’s the way ANet rewards players who play their content how it was intended, be sure i will wait for the next exploit and profit from it as much as i can…because that’s clearly ANet’s intention.

Posted by: Sinzaku.2980

Sinzaku.2980

In a player driven economy, the demand of an item surpassing the supply generated by the playerbase will increase the value of it. While there are some items in these bags that are not based around cosmetics (the low drop rate of T6 mats), the price of these bags is directly relative to the cosmetic value that is being placed on them. While currently profitable, that profit is derived directly from other players and their willingness to play a higher price. In essence, this is a transfer of wealth not wealth generation.

As far as this specific spawn of ambients is concerned, it’s defiantly one of the faster ones to farm. As long as the playerbase is willing to pay for that item, and the demand remains higher than the supply, it will be profitable. This is not an exploit, it’s the playerbase saying “thank you for farming this, because we didn’t want to”.

Ok then what about blix farm before nerf cuz fail an event was more rewarding than success it ?
On this way the current Maize farm is litteraly against the rules but since only “fews” ppl can do it then its not ? Kinda confused with game rules now.

If a part of the community that completed the story are locked out it doesnt matter what the bags are rewarding with cuz the mechanic of this farm isnt intended you cant say it isnt an exploit o_o

If it was then we could be able to replay the story like Ls ones but i wont teach anything since Anet said its legit then it must be right ?

The ‘Blix farm’ was not an ‘exploit’ per se. The problem was that it is a scaled event allowing MANY people to acquire HUGE amounts of champ bags by scaling the event. After killing a bunch of Champs, people would then make sure the event ‘failed’ because it had a VERY short respawn time after failure. This allowed dozens of people to farm dozens of Champ Bags per hour. Champ Bags drop COIN as well as loot. This is the DEFINITION of ‘creating gold’ and is very bad for the economy.

Farming ToT bags does, ABSOLUTELY, no such thing. All it can do is transfer wealth from those willing to buy and to keep prices of related items at a very low rate. Candy Corn, Skulls, and Nougat prices are a perfect example of how this is good for everyone. Almost all of the rewards this year, which people paid 1000-2000% more for last year, are easily accessible and start at a meager 2.5 gold (versus 100+ gold in some cases last year). So instead of acting like you’ve been ’bamboozled, you should, instead, appreciate the relative ease put forth in acquiring the rewards this year which were considered, nearly, impossible last year.

Carlotta cost $8 +1000 CC last year. Now you can pick it up for just shy of 3g. Prince was 20,000 pieces of CC last year. Now you can get it for free or, at most, for 10% of that (3 Cobbs are given as achievement rewards) this year.

Tldr; None of these ‘pleads for justice’ or feelings of ‘Anet screwed me’ hold any water. I’m sorry you didn’t get to be the intrepid mind to discover this farm instead of rushing through content silly nilly instead of exploring this years possibilities first.

Perhaps less time complaining on the forums and spending more time finding an alternative (their are 3 of these threads currently) will be a better use of your time instead of plees of entitlement because ’you’re missing out’.

Dude its not the point, its about considering legit something which is definitly not.

Leaving the instance for do it over and over thats not a intended mechanic since u gain more profit by not completing than succes it.

You are not supposed gain more by failing something its exactly the prob with the current maize farm and its all about making stuff fair for everyone cuz when chris say “the playerbase say thx for farm something we dont want to” its totaly wrong cuz lot of us would have done this too considering its legit but we cant replay this anymore.

Whatever anet logic on some things are just weird …

“Necromancer in Heart and Soul” ~ #8k Hours#Asura
-(EvE ~ EU)-

(edited by Sinzaku.2980)

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Sucks that I lost a couple friends to the snowflake exploit or linen farm but this is totally legitimate. I don’t care about the semantics of exploiting, rather, I wish Anet would be consistent. No matter how you look at this, there is an advantage for the people who did not complete the story event; case closed. Nothing is more confusing for a player who likes to push the boundaries than people with banning power making flippant decisions.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Pretty well summed up Tree.

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

Sucks that I lost a couple friends to the snowflake exploit or linen farm but this is totally legitimate. I don’t care about the semantics of exploiting, rather, I wish Anet would be consistent. No matter how you look at this, there is an advantage for the people who did not complete the story event; case closed. Nothing is more confusing for a player who likes to push the boundaries than people with banning power making flippant decisions.

It is indeed very confusing. The only thing that stops this from bothering me is that I do not do things that bore me in games, however rewarding they might be. That said, I would hate to have to doubt the way I play the game every day because it might or might not be labelled exploiting.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Yeah, this is BS, we completed the instance how you are supposed to and we are SOL.

It either needs to be reopened for everybody or those who farmed it punished as exploiters, there is no middle ground.

This is sanctioned cheating, i have farmed the kitten labyrinth for hours, there is this way to do it which i can not access because i completed the event as you are supposed to. If this is not addressed the term exploiting is meaningless in this game.

In fact there is probable financial liability here, since farm = gold = gems = money.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

(edited by Apolo.5942)

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I agree that it is a shame that those who have already completed the story are locked out of something that Anet says is an accepted activity. If it is accepted they should make the instance repeatable for all.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Apolo.5942

In a player driven economy, the demand of an item surpassing the supply generated by the playerbase will increase the value of it. While there are some items in these bags that are not based around cosmetics (the low drop rate of T6 mats), the price of these bags is directly relative to the cosmetic value that is being placed on them. While currently profitable, that profit is derived directly from other players and their willingness to play a higher price. In essence, this is a transfer of wealth not wealth generation.

As far as this specific spawn of ambients is concerned, it’s defiantly one of the faster ones to farm. As long as the playerbase is willing to pay for that item, and the demand remains higher than the supply, it will be profitable. This is not an exploit, it’s the playerbase saying “thank you for farming this, because we didn’t want to”.

This is a bullkitten argument, the same can be said for every kitten “exploit” now that, term means nothing here, This is a distributed client server application, short of hacking, everything being done in this game is done through the tools provided by the interface, under your definition, there is no such thing as EXPLOIT, only the repetition of an allowed action through the interface.

Posted by: Cecil.9205

Cecil.9205

The problem here isn’t in the fact that Anet has deemed the maize rat farm as not being an exploit, it’s that in the past they have made it clear that they made the game for players to complete events (Blix farm, Coil Farm, etc). Now, players with that knowledge going into the start of the Halloween “event” saw the instance as a step that needed to be completed, just like those that wanted to complete the "Breaking the Ice’ event for their storyline. However, others continued on the path of non-completion of the instance and are being rewarded for doing so, just like in the latest major farming fixes. It would be the same moaning and crying if they made the hoard of rats in the “Forewarned is Forearmed” Vigil story instance drop the ToT bags, which they were smart enough not to have happen. An easy fix for this would be to either make that specific instance of rats now drop the bags as well, or allow players that have already completed the instance an option to reenter that instance.

Doing the first option would make it where everyone (so that no players gain an unfair economic advantage over another player) would have to go out into the world and find their ambient creature farms. The second option also gives every player an equal economic opportunity. Either way, it is then up to the players themselves, on the amount of time they want to farm, if any at all.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I find it funny that so many complain that Anet’s current system of Living Story and temporary content is useless and only worth half an hour ‘playable content’, so the destroy this new content as quickly as possible. Then, low and behold, those same people are here QQing about how they rushed through it (instead of taking there time to explore what it might actually have to OFFER) and then spam QQ threads about how they can no longer access the content which could have proved valuable to their own ends.

After reading so many threats about how the implement so much “content with little value that can be grinded out in less than an hour”, I have no sympathy for you. Furthermore, I absolutely LoL at all these threads about, “Plz roll back [X Content] because I veraciously consumed it thinking it was just ‘more’ of my preconception of ‘junk’, but now I realize it had the potential to be very valuable!”

There are PLENTY more groups of ‘ambient creatures’ in the world. I’m sorry you were so adamant about knocking out that Meta Achiement within 2 hours of the patch going live. You’re not entitled to call a ‘Mulligan’ on your impatience. Those who realized that that this is a two-week event, and where in no rush, will be happy to sell you the bags that you’d like to have. Furthermore, you should appreciate their ‘slow and steady’ handling of this event, as they are keeping the prices of these bags low/reasonable.

There are plenty of other places with groups of ambients you can farm as well. In fact, there’s an entire thread full of suggestions of decent locations for those who wanted to demolish the story instance ASAP.

*If ALL ELSE FAILS, ‘Go tell your mommy…’

Well, if Tman has taught me anything, it’s that I will be waiting to consume all future content and checking for reports of similar non-exploits.

I didn’t demolish the story instance, I completed it. By doing the bloody story. I know you’re just going to continue to be insufferably smug about how you spent your time more wisely by opening your trick or treat bags, stumbling upon the consumable, staring thoughtfully at the consumable, and then, when you did the story, you were the one who saw all those rats and thought, “Hey, I better throw this balm at these rats and see what happens!” and then thought, “It’s probably not an exploit to keep doing this thing that has a 100% drop rate and can make me upwards of 40g per hour.” and then you came to the forum to find this very issue raised and already blessed by Mr. Cleary.

Yes. You’re so much better than the rest of us, Tman. I salute you.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This is the clearest example of an exploit I have run into since the snowflake farm. How is this any different than the snowflake farm back in 2012?

Buy item off TP → quickly convert it to an item that is worth more money → sell for profit → repeat.

Anet’s lack of consistency is really odd.

What is even more mind boggling is that you have to bug out the instance in order to farm this event. Anyone who plays the game legitimately is locked out of this farm. This is literally the definition of an exploit…

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

You have to bug out the instance? What? Unless i misunderstand what you are saying, that is incorrect.

Snowflakes.. You didnt have to aim for the snowflakes.

Sean

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I find it funny that so many complain that Anet’s current system of Living Story and temporary content is useless and only worth half an hour ‘playable content’, so the destroy this new content as quickly as possible. Then, low and behold, those same people are here QQing about how they rushed through it (instead of taking there time to explore what it might actually have to OFFER) and then spam QQ threads about how they can no longer access the content which could have proved valuable to their own ends.

After reading so many threats about how the implement so much “content with little value that can be grinded out in less than an hour”, I have no sympathy for you. Furthermore, I absolutely LoL at all these threads about, “Plz roll back [X Content] because I veraciously consumed it thinking it was just ‘more’ of my preconception of ‘junk’, but now I realize it had the potential to be very valuable!”

There are PLENTY more groups of ‘ambient creatures’ in the world. I’m sorry you were so adamant about knocking out that Meta Achiement within 2 hours of the patch going live. You’re not entitled to call a ‘Mulligan’ on your impatience. Those who realized that that this is a two-week event, and where in no rush, will be happy to sell you the bags that you’d like to have. Furthermore, you should appreciate their ‘slow and steady’ handling of this event, as they are keeping the prices of these bags low/reasonable.

There are plenty of other places with groups of ambients you can farm as well. In fact, there’s an entire thread full of suggestions of decent locations for those who wanted to demolish the story instance ASAP.

*If ALL ELSE FAILS, ‘Go tell your mommy…’

Well, if Tman has taught me anything, it’s that I will be waiting to consume all future content and checking for reports of similar non-exploits.

I didn’t demolish the story instance, I completed it. By doing the bloody story. I know you’re just going to continue to be insufferably smug about how you spent your time more wisely by opening your trick or treat bags, stumbling upon the consumable, staring thoughtfully at the consumable, and then, when you did the story, you were the one who saw all those rats and thought, “Hey, I better throw this balm at these rats and see what happens!” and then thought, “It’s probably not an exploit to keep doing this thing that has a 100% drop rate and can make me upwards of 40g per hour.” and then you came to the forum to find this very issue raised and already blessed by Mr. Cleary.

Yes. You’re so much better than the rest of us, Tman. I salute you.

Actually, last year, I used this ‘pile of rats’ to farm some of the more difficult Weapon Master achievements such as torch, war horn, and shield. It wasn’t till after a few hours of this, this year, that I even found out there was this Maize Balm and what it did when a friend invited me to Godslost Swamp to farm with him. I’m sorry I hurt your feelings and that you took my post so personally. I was just pointing out a bit of irony that flies in the face of identical threads that pop up two or more times a week.

*I sent you a hug if you check your in game mail…

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I just learned that a guildie of mine made 2.5 gold in a week. I’ve worked for MONTHS to get that much gold. I played the game, and locked myself out of this farm. Why do I play your game if playing it is worse than farming an instance I can’t play anymore. This is truly upsetting. All my hard work is meaningless in for of someone making 2.5k gold in a week.

Posted by: Typhus.3502

Typhus.3502

Thanks Anet for this Amaizeing farm!

Attachments:

[TW] Pumped

Apolo.5942

Awesome exploit for those that can use it.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

The 10th response to the OPs question (9 days ago!) was from ANet, who said in no uncertain terms that this is not an exploit.

So how come this thread keeps getting shuffled to the top?

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

Because that response was pretty much completely at odds with how they have previously defined exploits/unintentional advantages and is highly hypocritical.

It is no different from event exploits that were being purposely failed to be farmed, where their response was essentially that events are intended to be completed and shouldn’t reward failure. In fact, I’d say this one is much worse given people who have already completed it no longer have access to it unless they perform some gymnastics. Much like the mental gymnastics you have to come up with to act like this isn’t highly hypocritical on Anet’s part.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Posted by: kazafz.6780

kazafz.6780

Thanks Anet for this Amaizeing farm!

Congratulations mate!

Kazuals Only

Hamfast.8719

Because that response was pretty much completely at odds with how they have previously defined exploits/unintentional advantages and is highly hypocritical.

It is no different from event exploits that were being purposely failed to be farmed, where their response was essentially that events are intended to be completed and shouldn’t reward failure. In fact, I’d say this one is much worse given people who have already completed it no longer have access to it unless they perform some gymnastics. Much like the mental gymnastics you have to come up with to act like this isn’t highly hypocritical on Anet’s part.

“Failing” this doesn’t affect other players though, since it’s instanced content. BIG difference if you ask me. Nobody is getting “hurt” here.

Guhracie.3419

The 10th response to the OPs question (9 days ago!) was from ANet, who said in no uncertain terms that this is not an exploit.

Hamfast, you disappoint me. You’re usually so reasonable.

It’s a serious gap in equality as far as money-making goes for this event. But if you really think that part of the player base being locked out of the farm is perfectly reasonable and not worth questioning, then that’s your right. The thread is being bumped because creating a new thread to discuss the repercussions of this decision would likely get merged into this one. We know the OP’s question has been answered. We know that the farm will end on Tuesday, and the time to do something about it has long since passed. But it’s certainly an interesting precedent.

Edit: Tman, I never got any mail from you in-game, and unless it contains a zodiac skin or leaf of kudzu, I hope I never will.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

Posted by: BammBamm.6719

BammBamm.6719

so now i understand why there is no dhuum in gw2 sacrifice every fairplay and loot balance for the greater good of economy and wonder why the community became a really toxic one. extreme farming, dont play as intended but effectiv as possible, skipping as much as possible, more more more is anets vision of the next step of mmos. maybe you should give us loot at the log in, so you are not forced to develop content and we not to play the game. hail the economy

Hamfast.8719

Hamfast, you disappoint me. You’re usually so reasonable.

It’s a serious gap in equality as far as money-making goes for this event. But if you really think that part of the player base being locked out of the farm is perfectly reasonable and not worth questioning, then that’s your right. The thread is being bumped because creating a new thread to discuss the repercussions of this decision would likely get merged into this one. We know the OP’s question has been answered. We know that the farm will end on Tuesday, and the time to do something about it has long since passed. But it’s certainly an interesting precedent.

Sorry to disappoint – my attention was only drawn to this subject by this thread popping to the top again and again. (I had never bothered with trying it. I’m not much on farming events). So I YouTubed it out of curiosity (and to find out where to go). The first (and only) video I watched was this one, showing how anyone can get inside even after having done the mission:

(Turn your audio down! Why do people insist on using loud, bad music in their videos?)

I never read through all 4 pages of this thread. I just figured that after so much discussion you guys surely must’ve known that anyone can supposedly get in.

Under the belief that anyone can get in whenever they like, my conclusion was that the difference between this farm and the “failure to complete the event” farms was that some people were getting hurt in those, while this farm doesn’t spoil anything for other players.

My conclusion was based on the information in the video… is it wrong? Doesn’t his method work?

Apolo.5942

I will be sure to bring this thread up every time they come up with a supposed “exploit”.

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

I put in 1-2 hours a day in pve content which over a week makes something like 50g, while this week from maize farming it came out to about 400g. If anyone can look at numbers like that and say its fair (especially when a huge amount of players cannot do the same) then you have a pretty twisted definition of fair. Dont we have an “economist” on the games staff to make sure things like this dont need to happen to keep the economy in check?

I guess if this game doesnt define something that gives an advantage over other players as an exploit, we will just have to remember to check the forums/reddit before doing any content in the future because this will probably happen again. I still dont get how linen farming was an exploit when that also just moved gold around instead of creating it, but I guess the playerbase must have missed that memo where policy on exploits did a 180.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Apolo.5942

I put in 1-2 hours a day in pve content which over a week makes something like 50g, while this week from maize farming it came out to about 400g. If anyone can look at numbers like that and say its fair (especially when a huge amount of players cannot do the same) then you have a pretty twisted definition of fair. Dont we have an “economist” on the games staff to make sure things like this dont need to happen to keep the economy in check?

I guess if this game doesnt define something that gives an advantage over other players as an exploit, we will just have to remember to check the forums/reddit before doing any content in the future because this will probably happen again. I still dont get how linen farming was an exploit when that also just moved gold around instead of creating it, but I guess the playerbase must have missed that memo where policy on exploits did a 180.

Not to mention the tin foil raffle.

Posted by: Palimow.6342

Palimow.6342

how do you get rid of the diminishing return on the bag drops?

Apolo.5942

It would have taken 10 minutes flat in one of the numerous new builds since the event started to add 15 static rats to the last instance of the prince quest line, the one every one can access. Now the event is almost over and the damage done.
Since this brings double standards to issues that might resolve in your account being blocked and gives an unfair advantage to a sub set of the player base May be its time to take it off Anets hand and submit your comments To the BBB, under terms or quality of service issues.
http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/arenanet-in-bellevue-wa-22017235

(edited by Apolo.5942)

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

This makes people that don’t have the instance buy a new account to farm. So anet sells more gw2 account→more $. And you can’t buy an acc converting gold to gems, so it increases the direct influx of $ in the game.

. I believe that is the main reason they don’t consider exploit.

Looking forward to see if the game goes back to the risk reward philosophy when implementing raids. It is good for the game to have something that makes more gold than everything else in the game if that thing is requires some high player skill.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It would have taken 10 minutes flat in one of the numerous new builds since the event started to add 15 static rats to the last instance of the prince quest line, the one every one can access. Now the event is almost over and the damage done.
Since this brings double standards to issues that might resolve in your account being blocked and gives an unfair advantage to a sub set of the player base May be its time to take it off Anets hand and submit your comments To the BBB, under terms or quality of service issues.
http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/arenanet-in-bellevue-wa-22017235

The BBB is a private company without any form of legal authority. Companies that are willing to pay for membership tend to receive better results from the BBB review option…

Hamfast.8719

This makes people that don’t have the instance buy a new account to farm.

You’re joking, right? You really think people are buying new accounts just to farm this one spot for 2 weeks?

Double standards? Better Business Bureau? You want to report this to the BBB? You can’t use the Maize Balm anyplace else in Tyria? You can only use it on the rats in that one place?

Bringing this to the BBB would be akin to calling 911 because your dog got lost. Your complaint would be scrapped, and your ears would burn from all the laughter behind your back.

Maybe this one farming spot is pretty easy/quick. But there’s nothing at all preventing you from finding another spot. (I’m sure some people have already staked out places with tightly-packed Ambient creatures that they haven’t announced for fear of nerfing.)

I’m the first to admit that ANet makes a lot of moves that I don’t like. They’ve totally destroyed some of my favorite things in both GW1 and GW2. But you guys are starting to get WAY out of touch with reality when you talk like this. Your Maize Balm works as advertised. The Halloween event works the same way for everybody. Just because some enterprising fellow put two and two together AFTER you already did the Halloween event and came up with a good farm doesn’t mean ANet is screwing you over.

Ashen.2907

Bringing this to the BBB would be akin to calling 911 because your dog got lost. Your complaint would be scrapped, and your ears would burn from all the laughter behind your back.

The BBB would take the complaint and likely use it as a means of encouraging Anet to pay to become a member.

As an example,

I used to manage a clothing store. A customer attempted to, “return,” a car tire that she had been using for several years. The store never carried car tires. Ever. Clothing store. Even if we had, the customer admitted that she had been driving on the tire for close to a decade until it had recently blown out.

We did not accept the tire as a return.

The customer went to the BBB. They contacted us. We explained the situation. They went back and forth between us and the customer, suggesting in increasingly stronger terms that this situation might just disappear if we were members of the BBB. In the end the customer would not retract her complaint and so, despite every bit of proof that our clothing store, which had not existed at the time she claimed to have purchased the tire there, had not sold her the car tire the complaint was counted against us.

My final contact with the BBB rep was a reminder about how much more “smoothly” the situation could have gone if we had opted to pay for membership.

Guhracie.3419

This makes people that don’t have the instance buy a new account to farm.

You’re joking, right? You really think people are buying new accounts just to farm this one spot for 2 weeks?

Double standards? Better Business Bureau? You want to report this to the BBB? You can’t use the Maize Balm anyplace else in Tyria? You can only use it on the rats in that one place?

Maybe this one farming spot is pretty easy/quick. But there’s nothing at all preventing you from finding another spot. (I’m sure some people have already staked out places with tightly-packed Ambient creatures that they haven’t announced for fear of nerfing.)

I’m the first to admit that ANet makes a lot of moves that I don’t like. They’ve totally destroyed some of my favorite things in both GW1 and GW2. But you guys are starting to get WAY out of touch with reality when you talk like this. Your Maize Balm works as advertised. The Halloween event works the same way for everybody. Just because some enterprising fellow put two and two together AFTER you already did the Halloween event and came up with a good farm doesn’t mean ANet is screwing you over.

I wasn’t aware of the alternate method to get into the instance, but it looks like it could potentially be called an exploit, due to actually glitching out the mechanics.

Yes, the balm can be used in the open world, but you’re transforming ambient creatures into elementals that die in one hit. The risk/reward of open world use is just not worth it, nor is the respawn instantaneous, as with the halloween instance.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Shrimpkin.4851

Shrimpkin.4851

I was leveling my Mesmer last night and went to get a skill challenge…when I got there a couple of people were killing candy corn elementals around it. I shot a few then ran up and got the skill challenge…then I looked at chat.

guy: are you farming?
me: no
guy: then leave
me: I came here to get the skill challenge, relax

If people want to farm to get ToT bags, I have no problem with that but telling me I’m not allowed to be somewhere because they are is not going to go over well. I was tempted to stay and kill the spawns but I just went off and continued my leveling. Farm all you want but don’t be a richard about it, especially in open world.

I’m not anti-social, I’m selectively social. There’s a difference.

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

@Hamfast.8719

At least 10 players from my friends list/guild have already bought one account to farm.
In this 2 weeks it is possible to make more gold than some people made in 1 year.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Hamfast.8719

The BBB would take the complaint and likely use it as a means of encouraging Anet to pay to become a member.

As an example,

I used to manage a clothing store. A customer attempted to, “return,” a car tire that she had been using for several years. The store never carried car tires. Ever. Clothing store. Even if we had, the customer admitted that she had been driving on the tire for close to a decade until it had recently blown out.

The customer went to the BBB. They contacted us. We explained the situation. They went back and forth between us and the customer, suggesting in increasingly stronger terms that this situation might just disappear if we were members of the BBB. In the end the customer would not retract her complaint and so, despite every bit of proof that our clothing store, which had not existed at the time she claimed to have purchased the tire there, had not sold her the car tire the complaint was counted against us.

My final contact with the BBB rep was a reminder about how much more “smoothly” the situation could have gone if we had opted to pay for membership.

Nope. Sorry. I don’t buy that. The BBB is not some sort of underworld protection racket as you seem to want us to believe. If the BBB gave black marks to companies for obviously improper reasons such as that, they would have NO credibility. It would be super-easy for competing companies to give each other negative reports.

Your little fiction aside, I’m done here. I wasn’t interested in the topic when I first posted. Only curious why it had gone on so long. Some of you have taken this into the realm of the absurd, and I’m beginning to feel like I’m arguing with a drunk. Get mad at me if you want, but I don’t plan to return to this thread. And I’m not gonna lock horns over something that doesn’t matter to me. I was just giving you one outsider’s opinion of your issue, but I should probably never have done that. I’m blowing this turkey stand. Peace.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Thanks, anet. Glad I could work for a year to get my gold, while you let people farm gold for 2 weeks, and make more than I have.

Ashen.2907

As an example,

Nope. Sorry. I don’t buy that. The BBB is not some sort of underworld protection racket as you seem to want us to believe. If the BBB gave black marks to companies for obviously improper reasons such as that, they would have NO credibility. It would be super-easy for competing companies to give each other negative reports.

Your little fiction aside, I’m done here. I wasn’t interested in the topic when I first posted. Only curious why it had gone on so long. Some of you have taken this into the realm of the absurd, and I’m beginning to feel like I’m arguing with a drunk. Get mad at me if you want, but I don’t plan to return to this thread. And I’m not gonna lock horns over something that doesn’t matter to me. I was just giving you one outsider’s opinion of your issue, but I should probably never have done that. I’m blowing this turkey stand. Peace.

An outsider’s opinion of my issue ?

What issue ?

I don’t have a problem with the farm. I cannot participate due to having finished the instance, but I don’t consider that inappropriate. I have stated my opinion in this thread previously that this situation is not an exploit.

As to the BBB,

“When the BBB gives black marks to companies for obviously improper reasons such as that, they do have NO credibility. It is super-easy for competing companies to give each other negative reports.”

Fixed it for you.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I know of a personal story instance that has an infinite supply of rats in LA sewers.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Guhracie.3419

I know of a personal story instance that has an infinite supply of rats in LA sewers.

There are no drops in the personal story, so it doesn’t matter.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Apolo.5942

Well that is what happens when you introduce an exploit for some players and let it slide, quite frankly im surprised this was not more generalized.

A 10 minute patch to the last instance in the quest chain adding rats there, would have prevented this whole thing.

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

There are no drops in the personal story, so it doesn’t matter.

So turning those rats into candy would not give you a bag? I think I will try it out, I have a new 80 that has 0 personal story done.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

You can get around 250-300 ToT bags before hitting the DR wall. Go to the labyrinth for a little bit, play couple rounds of PvP with Halloween Track then back to the maize farm. It’s been a very profitable weekend. My guess is they won’t fix this it’s just a 2 week farm,why waste resources on some short term farm. I do wonder how long before it gets flooded and loses it’s profitability.

Interestingly, if it wasn’t for the trumped up value of ToT bags, due to the necklace and the mini, it would probably not be worth it to farm ToT bags (less people would want them).

Which is, I think, what Chris was getting at with his post in this thread; the bags have very little inherent value, unlike something such as an exploit that yields a lot of direct gold.

And even with the value ToT bags do have, their drops still have very little to do with the rest of the economy and its items (e.g. they are largely isolated/seasonal variables).

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Shrimpkin.4851

Shrimpkin.4851

I was leveling my Mesmer last night and went to get a skill challenge…when I got there a couple of people were killing candy corn elementals around it. I shot a few then ran up and got the skill challenge…then I looked at chat.

guy: are you farming?
me: no
guy: then leave
me: I came here to get the skill challenge, relax

If people want to farm to get ToT bags, I have no problem with that but telling me I’m not allowed to be somewhere because they are is not going to go over well. I was tempted to stay and kill the spawns but I just went off and continued my leveling. Farm all you want but don’t be a richard about it, especially in open world.

Careful, Anet might ban you for disrupting their farm.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2l21xk/actually_game_master_can_ban_for_preventing_maize/

As of now, they have no policy. It’s just a few guys screwing with the playerbase for lols.

I have no problem with them farming, my problem was being told to leave the area without him even knowing why I was there. You’re farming by a skill challenge, and one that is hidden away until you get to it, people are going to show up there to commune…

I’m not anti-social, I’m selectively social. There’s a difference.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The player who was banned (suspended, more accurately) in that situation was one who was consistently attempting to get back into that ONE specific instance to disrupt the farmers there. They could have just as easily stayed in their own instance if they wanted to farm for themselves, but their actions made it clear they were doing it specifically because they wanted to aggravate the farmers. As per the ToS, trolling or griefing other players is not allowed and appropriate action was taken.

Now, if you have a problem with farming or the Maize farm in general, you’re more than welcome to continue discussion about it here, but ANet’s already made their stance on the matter clear, and I for one, think that they’re correct. These farmers are essentially providing a year-round source for ToT bags, which means that prices for the various goodies from them will be kept at a reasonable level for the foreseeable future. This is a GOOD thing for the player base at large, as it means that stuff like the craftable Halloween weapons, Zuzu and related stuff will never spike to prices where the average player feels they’re unreachable.

And if you need gold, you’re more than able to buy your own Maize Balms and find some quiet spots with lots of ambients to generate your own ToT bags.

(For the record, I’m not a farmer and I have simply been selling any Maize Balms I find.)

Posted by: pandas.9450

pandas.9450

The player who was banned (suspended, more accurately) in that situation was one who was consistently attempting to get back into that ONE specific instance to disrupt the farmers there. They could have just as easily stayed in their own instance if they wanted to farm for themselves, but their actions made it clear they were doing it specifically because they wanted to aggravate the farmers. As per the ToS, trolling or griefing other players is not allowed and appropriate action was taken.

Now, if you have a problem with farming or the Maize farm in general, you’re more than welcome to continue discussion about it here, but ANet’s already made their stance on the matter clear, and I for one, think that they’re correct. These farmers are essentially providing a year-round source for ToT bags, which means that prices for the various goodies from them will be kept at a reasonable level for the foreseeable future. This is a GOOD thing for the player base at large, as it means that stuff like the craftable Halloween weapons, Zuzu and related stuff will never spike to prices where the average player feels they’re unreachable.

And if you need gold, you’re more than able to buy your own Maize Balms and find some quiet spots with lots of ambients to generate your own ToT bags.

(For the record, I’m not a farmer and I have simply been selling any Maize Balms I find.)

The issue is more again about actually playing the game by doing the story and punishing a large majority of people who did it. If this was fine for anet they should bring back the blixx farm and the linen farm which surprisingly kept linen prices stable. Goodluck finding a quiet place with a either a large amount of ambient creatures not being killed by others or as quickly respawnable ambient creatures. And if this was as simple as you stated it, it should not have been an issue if anet decided to remove those rats

(edited by pandas.9450)