Is there a combo field tutorial?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I’m genuinely curious if they added one as combo fields are the one thing most people actually don’t get and which are in severe need of a tutorial.
I see people with 10k+ AP asking what combo fields are and I don’t think I need to remember what happened when they added a combo field daily back in january/february 2013 with tons of people being confusing and them taking the daily back out (next to it being buggy).

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

NovaanVerdiano.6174

You missed my point. I clearly know what combo fields are and how they work.
I asked if there is a INGAME-Tutorial which teaches you the basics of combo fields because a lot of people don’t grasp the concept of said fields. Seeing that they’re trying to put everything into tutorials, locking things behind gates etc. it would only make sense to have a combo field tutorial too…

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

You missed my point. I clearly know what combo fields are and how they work.
I asked if there is a INGAME-Tutorial which teaches you the basics of combo fields because a lot of people don’t grasp the concept of said fields. Seeing that they’re trying to put everything into tutorials, locking things behind gates etc. it would only make sense to have a combo field tutorial too…

Sorry, im so fueled up for the CDI with Cris that i missed the point of your post.

Any tutorials that help new players understand how to play the game and use mechanics at 100% is a must for me. So im with you.

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Honestly, combo fields are pretty pointless when it comes to PvE content.
“I can’t kill this boss without the proper combo fields!” I’m guessing that’s not something you see said very often.

Posted by: SirJack.4760

SirJack.4760

The game gives you an information message on what combo fields are, roughly. I think it was level 18 or so.
No real tutorial, like say a bunch of different fields lying around and weapons to pick up to demonstrate the effects of projectile/leap/blast, cuz that’d be too obvious…

The problem with the combo achievement wasn’t doing the combo, it was that you needed to kill an enemy with a combo skill, which limited it to shooting projectiles through a field and hoping the conditions didn’t deal the fatal damage.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

“I can’t kill this boss without the proper combo fields!” I’m guessing that’s not something you see said very often.

Please what.

So might stacking (and fury if you have persisting flames trait as ele) through combo fields is useless? Stealth through smoke fields is useless? Heck, even water fields have use in PvE. The others can still be used, even though they’re not as effective in many cases (well, maybe blasting dark for blinds if you really need that… so is condition remove through a light field).
It doesn’t even matter if it’s more of a PvE or PvP thing, they need to learn it and I doubt they’ll teach you a game-wide mechanic in the PvP tutorial.

@SirJack: Alright. I still think it needs a full blown tutorial, since the point with a lot of people not knowing what they are still stands… Most of them just click those messages away. And of course, that was part of what made the daily that bad too… But I remember seeing the question “What are combo fields?” pop up every minute or so.

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

No need to complain anymore, we’ve gotten an arrow that tells us to use heal skill when our hp drops low,what else should we ever need? I’m just waiting for an automated message in chat that gives me some useful hints like “Hey, are you thirsty? Perhaps you should get yourself a drink!”
“Hey it’s late, if you are sleepy you could go bed!”
“Hey, a friend whispered you, you can answer if you want!”

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Combo fields will be removed in the next patch because they are too overwhelming for players.

Posted by: fictitiousacct.1782

fictitiousacct.1782

Yeah combo fields are a really cool part of the game, but really there’s no in-game guide or tutorial. Yeah you could just wiki it, but very few people actually will do that for combos. I agree that this should be in the game somewhere.

Posted by: SirJack.4760

SirJack.4760

@SirJack: Alright. I still think it needs a full blown tutorial, since the point with a lot of people not knowing what they are still stands… Most of them just click those messages away. And of course, that was part of what made the daily that bad too… But I remember seeing the question “What are combo fields?” pop up every minute or so.

Oh, I agree. The message that’s shown is very unclear. Think explaining combos in a tweet, limited to 140 characters. That’s about the info you get from that.

Unless I missed part of it, being a terrible player and all that.

Really though, they added a part where “dodge” is explained in every map, I would have expected the same for Combos, Conditions and certain effects like Critical Hits and Glancing Blows. I’m fairly sure most people don’t even know Weakness reduces Endurance regeneration by 50% for example, or the importance of cleansing posion before healing.

With the inclusion of a short dodge tutorial, I’d like to say “it’s a start”, but with all the changes they did, I doubt I’ll be taking another alt through the starter areas ever again. And even that, I’d rather have seen it as a Skill Challenge/Tutorial Instance where you have to successfully dodge a series of telegraphed attacks to get some reward. “Dodge though electric fence to get chest” is kinda weak as a tutorial.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Please what.

So might stacking (and fury if you have persisting flames trait as ele) through combo fields is useless? Stealth through smoke fields is useless? Heck, even water fields have use in PvE. The others can still be used, even though they’re not as effective in many cases (well, maybe blasting dark for blinds if you really need that… so is condition remove through a light field).

Sorry, when I said pointless, I really meant not necessary.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Oh, I agree. The message that’s shown is very unclear. Think explaining combos in a tweet, limited to 140 characters. That’s about the info you get from that.

Unless I missed part of it, being a terrible player and all that.

Really though, they added a part where “dodge” is explained in every map, I would have expected the same for Combos, Conditions and certain effects like Critical Hits and Glancing Blows. I’m fairly sure most people don’t even know Weakness reduces Endurance regeneration by 50% for example, or the importance of cleansing posion before healing.

With the inclusion of a short dodge tutorial, I’d like to say “it’s a start”, but with all the changes they did, I doubt I’ll be taking another alt through the starter areas ever again. And even that, I’d rather have seen it as a Skill Challenge/Tutorial Instance where you have to successfully dodge a series of telegraphed attacks to get some reward. “Dodge though electric fence to get chest” is kinda weak as a tutorial.

From what I know you can actually jump around that fence. lol

I completely agree though.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Ya, I’m one of those vet players with over 8k AP and 2k hours and I still have no idea when I should or how I should be using combo fields. I find the wiki explanation quite confusing, tbh. It would be really really helpful to have somthing in game that helps players learn this stuff. Yet, I hesitate to ask ANet to implement anything, since every time a suggestion is made, we go 1 step forward and 10 steps back. So ya, I’ll just remain on the peripheral when it comes to combo fields, thanks.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)