Is there a point to crafting I'm missing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PaPa Theos.4160

PaPa Theos.4160

I’ve only leveled three crafts to level 150, thinking I would craft my own gear and weapons. But so far, I’ve spent about 10 times more to craft things then it costs to buy them outright. OK, so I leveled a bit while doing it, but not enough to make the expense worthwhile, and there are backpacks. Is there something that I’ll get from crafting that I’m not seeing yet?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You can’t buy ascended armour or weapons only craft them or hope for a lucky drop. You can make some good money crafting and selling high end goods. Up to you what you do with it.

Posted by: zeldara.4127

zeldara.4127

points of crafting:

- you get xp from crafting for faster leveling.
- When you are willing to do the market research and all that work there are some items that can make gold for crafting. But it’s only a few items worth while and the market shifts. I personally can’t help you with that as for me making it profitable is to much work and I don’t care for a in game job. But others do like it. Usually the timegated stuff is profitable.
- If you want to craft ascended weapons or gear and/or some legendaries you have to max out the fitting crafts as those things are account bound.
- It gives you something to do, satisfies the completionist tendecy of some people and it keeps you selfsufficient.

But yeah all crafted stuff you do while leveling are already pretty saturating the market as it is as all people leveling tend to make more then they need. So yes most of the time buying it outright from the TP is (way) cheaper. Crafting is mostly a money sink, not a moneymaker for most people.
For making money I would say selling all the materials instead of crafted items is way more profitable.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s a bit different in this game to most others, crafting is relatively easy and gives quite a bit of experience so most people will level at least some of the crafts, and that leads to the market for most items being over-saturated.

But there are some things you can only get by crafting them yourself (which is the other reason many people level crafting), ascended and legendary equipment are the main ones, but also certain skins and stat combinations.

I’ve levelled all the crafts (except Scribe) and although I don’t use it regularly I find it useful because it mean whenever I do want something I have to craft, or can craft more cheaply than I can buy it, I can do it right away.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

I’ve only leveled three crafts to level 150, thinking I would craft my own gear and weapons. But so far, I’ve spent about 10 times more to craft things then it costs to buy them outright. OK, so I leveled a bit while doing it, but not enough to make the expense worthwhile, and there are backpacks. Is there something that I’ll get from crafting that I’m not seeing yet?

Crafting is easiest way to get ascended armor and weapons. Other then that, no, there is no point.

Posted by: Marthkus.4615

Marthkus.4615

It’s better to craft your gear than buy your gear in the long run. An initial investment now pays off in dividends come late game.

Though since you are leveling, you could just clear maps to get the maps you need. Every map clear gives a lump sum of mats and you can gather mats while clearing it.

Posted by: PaPa Theos.4160

PaPa Theos.4160

Thanks, Guys! Putting it all together, I think I will level crafting a bit later in the game when I have more gold to waste, have accumulated mats and while it might still offer XP.

Posted by: OrbitalButt.5708

OrbitalButt.5708

You can make food and pretend you’re Gordon Ramsay and wander about hollering at people.

A pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory

Posted by: malachi.7503

malachi.7503

all those resources around the world and yet [people] buy the mats instead. for small quantity needs I can see it, but why are you buying mass quantities needed for the leveling process. You’ll cut your cost in half if you just take the time to gather.

No Retreat No Surrender

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

Thanks, Guys! Putting it all together, I think I will level crafting a bit later in the game when I have more gold to waste, have accumulated mats and while it might still offer XP.

If you would do map completion and collect all mats you loot or can find, then you should have enough mats to get your crafting discipline up to max level.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

You can make food and pretend you’re Gordon Ramsay and wander about hollering at people.

I prefer to pretend I am Emeril and shout “BAM!” randomly at the cooking station.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Crafting is for those who wish to experiment with the game’s systems. If you know what you want though, no, and if you never change armor or weapons to test things out, no. Otherwise it gets expensive fast to try out new things even in just basic exotic armor let alone ascended because the insignias are the most expense parts.

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

You get the feeling of being part of something as you contribute to Gold Wars 2 in order to help Anet make more money off it’s players as they get frustrated with all the gold sinks they bought in HoT and turn to salvation within the Gem-To-Gold Exchange Market.

Be a team player.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

all those resources around the world and yet [people] buy the mats instead. for small quantity needs I can see it, but why are you buying mass quantities needed for the leveling process. You’ll cut your cost in half if you just take the time to gather.

Different people value their time differently. Some players would rather pay others to gather their mats for them. Either because their time is limited and they’d rather do something they enjoy than gather mats to make something to do something that they enjoy or because they don’t find going out and gathering mats to be all that fun. And to me, a game is supposed to primarily be fun. If it isn’t fun, it’s not for you.

Some players aren’t in any rush to make something so they don’t mind gathering their own mats.

Don’t impose your own value of time onto others.

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Well, 400-500 huntsman takes like 318 ancient wood logs that you can collect 3-4 per node with nodes averaging like 3-4 per map.

So even in the best case scenario where you got 16 logs per map, you would would be looking at running over 20 different instances of Silverwastes back to back to get them all.

That doesn’t sound very fun to me even if cuts my costs in half, because I value my time.

The game is designed to have like a 100 different crafting materials that you accumulate very fast in very small batches. As a result, it’s more efficient to do content and salvage and then sell 40 of the crafting materials you receive to get more of the 10 then you need, rather than farm just the 10 you need. Anet has designed the game to make it hard to target the individual materials and gather a huge number of them in a short amount of time. It’s gone to war on farming in general, destroying anyway players find to farm an item.

This is so you use gold as the vessel to acquire the materials, which you can conveniently purchase at their Gold to Gem Exchange Market if you are missing any needed to buy the 19,410 elder wood logs needed to craft The Legend precursor.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned that the only reliable way to get the new stat sets in HoT is by crafting them.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well, 400-500 huntsman takes like 318 ancient wood logs that you can collect 3-4 per node with nodes averaging like 3-4 per map.

So even in the best case scenario where you got 16 logs per map, you would would be looking at running over 20 different instances of Silverwastes back to back to get them all.

That doesn’t sound very fun to me even if cuts my costs in half, because I value my time.

The game is designed to have like a 100 different crafting materials that you accumulate very fast in very small batches. As a result, it’s more efficient to do content and salvage and then sell 40 of the crafting materials you receive to get more of the 10 then you need, rather than farm just the 10 you need. Anet has designed the game to make it hard to target the individual materials and gather a huge number of them in a short amount of time. It’s gone to war on farming in general, destroying anyway players find to farm an item.

This is so you use gold as the vessel to acquire the materials, which you can conveniently purchase at their Gold to Gem Exchange Market if you are missing any needed to buy the 19,410 elder wood logs needed to craft The Legend precursor.

Well… I crafted 80 ascneded weapons, and 40+ peieces of armor… Most of which was farmed.

Farming is not a “Oh now I need a weapon, let’s make it”-deal… at least not for ascneded and legendaries. I worked 3 months for my 1st legendary and 4 months for my second ingame getting mats and trading and such. (long before silverwastes)

Exotics are there to insta equip a character and maintain some form of basic gear. It allows for everything except for infusing… If you’ve been playing for a while and/or have more then 1 character at 80, you’ll likely have aquired options to get a second set of ascneded trinkets somewhere… allowing you to get basic infusions.

I have salvaged 743*200 item according to agent of entropy so a little short of 150000 salvages, I sold a lot of gear as well… ;and harvested a lot in the 3,5 years I’ve been playing, still I have no full stacks of anything… exceptr maybe the drops from the fractal chests, t5 fine materials are wothless…

Oh and if you wantr any of the new stats relaiible in exotic or asnceded you’d better craft them.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Different people value their time differently. Some players would rather pay others to gather their mats for them. Either because their time is limited and they’d rather do something they enjoy than gather mats to make something to do something that they enjoy or because they don’t find going out and gathering mats to be all that fun. And to me, a game is supposed to primarily be fun. If it isn’t fun, it’s not for you.

Some players aren’t in any rush to make something so they don’t mind gathering their own mats.

Don’t impose your own value of time onto others.

And the same person may do both at different times.

I gather a lot, pretty much every node I come across unless I’m in a hurry. So most of the time when I come to craft something I already have the mats I need. But if not I’ll buy them, and often I get the money to do that by selling off mats I have too many of.

There are also people who argue that gathering doesn’t actually reduce the cost because if you weren’t crafting with those mats you could sell them, so by using them it just means you never get the gold in the first place instead of getting it and then spending it on things you want.

I think that, like a lot of things in this game, there’s no absolute right or wrong way to go about it. The trick is to know what the options are and then work out which one/s are right for you.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Crafting is free if you have materials.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Download overwolf and find the crafting app. It will help you level up crafting and will save you a lot of time and gold.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned that the only reliable way to get the new stat sets in HoT is by crafting them.

That’s probably because no-one plays HoT.

(Soz, that was just too tempting…. ;p)

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Its not that HoT stats are bad, just they cost too much. Because many people avoid HoT maps, required items (Maguuma Lily, Black Diamond, Vial of Linseed Oil) tend to cost small fortune.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Its not that HoT stats are bad, just they cost too much. Because many people avoid HoT maps, required items (Maguuma Lily, Black Diamond, Vial of Linseed Oil) tend to cost small fortune.

People avoid HoT maps??? They’re pretty much the only maps I play outside of world bosses and maybe a few runs through Orr. Black Diamonds were close to 4 gold at release, IIRC. They have dropped under 2 gold. Vial of Linseed Oil have also dropped considerably, and if you have multiple characters you can farm flax easily. The thing I love about HoT is all I have to do is play the game and I’m able to make ascended weapons, backpacks, and get valuable items to sell.

Anyway, the point to crafting is so that you can make ascended armor and weapons. When ascended crafting was introduced, low level materials skyrocketed in price so I often tell new players to save their materials as they level and to craft post-level 80.

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

Around release and for some time after, it was actually cost efficient and easily possible to craft your own gear while you were levelling and equip your character with the best possible things by doing so.

After numerous patches and changes to recipes, most importantly with the addition of ascended crafting, selling the low level materials yields a lot more coin so it became better to just sell them and buy the levelled gear off the trading post.

Turning a profit with crafting is also very hard, since it’s so easy to level a craft. The only items that really net a tidy profit are the ones that are bound to time gating (again, mostly ascended crafting).

So, as of now, I’d say the only benefits of crafting are:
- easy but relatively expensive extra experience
- crafting ascended and legendary gear (which is ridiculously more expensive than buying the precursors off the trading post for the most part for the 2nd generation legendaries)

And that’s about it.