Is there a reason for this?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

Is there a reason ArenaNet chose to add fall-damage to players when walking down steps in this game? I find that a bit dumb the developers would add this to their game.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I think there are just some areas where something isn’t scripted properly, report it as a bug and hopefully they will fix it.
There is an area in LA near the Mia racing where you walk over a patch of ground and take fall damage that’s almost half your health – definitely, not intended xD

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m probably the only one that has found away to take damage walking up stairs.

The Burninator

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

There is also this thing where if you take falling damage and then immediately go down any sort of slant or stairs, then you will constantly take major damage no matter how short the fall was. I jumped onto a set of stairs today and as I ran down each step, I continually took on a ton of damage until I reached the bottom step :s (I did not fall down the stairs, I ran)

Zavve.8205

There is also this thing where if you take falling damage and then immediately go down any sort of slant or stairs, then you will constantly take major damage no matter how short the fall was. I jumped onto a set of stairs today and as I ran down each step, I continually took on a ton of damage until I reached the bottom step :s (I did not fall down the stairs, I ran)

Also happened on a hill

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Ahh, I can make sense of that. The game is treating it as a tumble, if for example you started falling down a cliff face and you hit the slant of it and kept sliding down you would take damage with each new hit. So it’s pretty much treating it as if you’re tumbling down the stairs :P

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

^This

Happens to me ALL THE TIME in WvW. Sometimes make a 10 foot jump and splat lost 75% HP (or die) for no reason, jump from a 25 foot height lose 40% HP, this trickery makes me have to use my -50% fall damage trait just so i don’t get frustrated. Slopes are where it happens the most.

Zavve.8205

Ahh, I can make sense of that. The game is treating it as a tumble, if for example you started falling down a cliff face and you hit the slant of it and kept sliding down you would take damage with each new hit. So it’s pretty much treating it as if you’re tumbling down the stairs :P

^ Exactly what I mean

Posted by: Yocairo.4257

Yocairo.4257

This x100. This happens to me so often, especially in wvw with the cliffs and such. Fix falling damage from happening continuously for no reason!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think what some of you might be experiencing is the lag between what the server is doing and what you’re seeing.

What you see in your screen is client-side information. The server doesn’t have you at the exact same place you are on screen (which is why rubber banding can happen). So you are somewhere, but on the server, you’re not in exactly the same place.

When you’re running, you’re ahead on your screen and then the server updates as it comes.

When you fall, the server updates your health/damage, but if you’ve moved on from the fall, it doesn’t catch up with your machine until you’re on that second drop and it treats it as more falling damage.

It’s just a matter of the fact that server information takes time to get interpreted by your client.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

I think what some of you might be experiencing is the lag between what the server is doing and what you’re seeing.

What you see in your screen is client-side information. The server doesn’t have you at the exact same place you are on screen (which is why rubber banding can happen). So you are somewhere, but on the server, you’re not in exactly the same place.

When you’re running, you’re ahead on your screen and then the server updates as it comes.

When you fall, the server updates your health/damage, but if you’ve moved on from the fall, it doesn’t catch up with your machine until you’re on that second drop and it treats it as more falling damage.

It’s just a matter of the fact that server information takes time to get interpreted by your client.

Except you are walking down stairs, so there never was any fall damage to be interpreted at all. Happens to me all the time in wvw going down stairs on towers. Now I notice mostly on my chars with natural speed buffs so maybe that makes a difference.

And it may be a server communication error with where you are and where you were due to lag. But you are still taking fall damage from somewhere you never really fell, and should not have fallen.

Although I don’t think it is lag since I can normally repeat it. The chances of lagging in the same spot running down stairs even when all alone seems fairly slim, I would think.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

(edited by Wryscher.1432)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Except you are walking down stairs, so there never was any fall damage to be interpreted at all. Happens to me all the time in wvw going down stairs on towers. Now I notice mostly on my chars with natural speed buffs so maybe that makes a difference.

And it may be a server communication error with where you are and where you were due to lag. But you are still taking fall damage from somewhere you never really fell, and should not have fallen.

That’s why I said some of you. I was talking about the people in WvW who fall first and then run off right away without allowing the damage to catch up with them. I was responding to the thread, rather than the OP. Sorry about that, I should have been clearer.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

I remember in EQ1, you could be so encumbered, you’d die stepping off one small step.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

lol, I also remember in EQ, dropping a fortune in copper to see someone pick it up and get stuck in place……….how BAD do you want that money…orcs come to kill you as you clutch onto the money