Is there a vertical progression in endgame?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

we need some real reward (I need it)

(edited by Tiger.7506)

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

Yes there is. A very slow one.

Tiger.7506

what would it be?

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

Well, its sorta like earning cash to get exotic gear, then running dungeons to get ascended gear. Then you upgrade the dungeon…so you can run the same dungeon further.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

If they respect their promise that Ascended gear is really just to fill the gap between exotic and legendary and that it was not the beginning of a gear treadmill, then no there isn’t vertical progression.

Posted by: tonyl.5063

tonyl.5063

The idea is cosmetic customization. They have this thing against vertical progression, which if that’s true, makes completely no sense that we have to vertically progress to level 80…

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

We don’t have to wonder whether we have it or not with the introduction of the Ascended tier, we have the answer straight from Chris in the AMA:

“we will have vertical progression moving forward with the focus on zero grind and a very low power curve.”

As to my opinion of the possibility of having vertical progression without a grind see my sig.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

If I believe what I read, GW2 doesn’t have an endgame yet.

As yet, from a stats point of view there’s no vertical progression. You get full exotics, maybe you also get your ascended ring and back items. None of that requires all that much — about the same as getting “raid ready” in other games. And then you’re done with v-progression, at least until January.

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

There is not a traditional vertical progression at this time. All things are possible though, however it is very unlikely that GW2 will ever have vertical progression mirroring standard MMOs.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Yep. Get exotic gear. Then run the same dungeon over and over for ascended gear. Then hope they don’t add another tier after that… Though if they did they would claim it to be “wildly successful”.

I miss pre-Nov 15th GW2

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

There is.
They stated that they will add more powerful items of the same tier, exactly like WoW does.

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

I don’t think there’s alot of vertical progression. but you can make it by yourself, by setting a bar.

And as stated above, i doubt they’ll add hard-core vertical progression/

Tiger.7506

Well, its sorta like earning cash to get exotic gear, then running dungeons to get ascended gear. Then you upgrade the dungeon…so you can run the same dungeon further.

I hope you’re right!
spvp and WvW are good, but I want pve!
I need pve !!!! I love pve !
cosmetics items are a bad joke!
a small vertical progression would be great! ( in WvW and pve).
spvp is good with progression hortizontal !

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Get to 80, get cash, do dungeons, do events, do World v World, etc – work towards full exotic gear.

Once you have that, really, you’re all set stats-wise.

You can go for legendary and it’s a huge grind for something that everyone will know you have, so ego-fulfilling, but it won’t give you an advantage over someone who didn’t have the time to grind a legendary.

Although you can go for ascended items if you really, really really want to have a few extra stats and do hardcore PVE — it’s only a couple of slots and overall it definitely will not make you overpowered compared to someone in full exotics. But it is still there, with difficulty to match in fractals level 20+ for those who want that.

What is much more important, and what people keep forgetting is:

It’s MUCH more important to get the right mix of stats for your build and role, than it is to get ascended gear with slightly more stats, but they could be the wrong ones.

Really with just full exotics that are appropriately statted for your build and playstyle, you can do anything, beat anyone, and are 100% viable.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Yep. Get exotic gear. Then run the same dungeon over and over for ascended gear. Then hope they don’t add another tier after that… Though if they did they would claim it to be “wildly successful”.

I miss pre-Nov 15th GW2

Sounds like my WoW days…run same dungeon over and over for Tier X gear. Next patch, I’m geared like a noob, time to run another dungeon over and over.

I don’t know why I thought that was fun…

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Although you can go for ascended items if you really, really really want to have a few extra stats and do hardcore PVE — it’s only a couple of slots and overall it definitely will not make you overpowered compared to someone in full exotics.

Yea, the full set will only be a 15-30% increase in stats across the board. Nothing major.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Although you can go for ascended items if you really, really really want to have a few extra stats and do hardcore PVE — it’s only a couple of slots and overall it definitely will not make you overpowered compared to someone in full exotics.

Yea, the full set will only be a 15-30% increase in stats across the board. Nothing major.

So far it’s looking to be much smaller than that. 3 slots will get your character just a percent or two improvement. And we only have 13 or 14 slots.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

Grind dungeons till your eyes bleed. GW2 has become WoW.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I hope you’re right!
spvp and WvW are good, but I want pve!
I need pve !!!! I love pve !
cosmetics items are a bad joke!
a small vertical progression would be great! ( in WvW and pve).
spvp is good with progression hortizontal !

You appear to be suggesting you need vertical progression. Let’s take a look at what you need. Vertical progression “progresses” by periodically raising the power level of players, usually through stats on gear. So, before the new more powerful tier all players are at power level X. The new tier is introduced and all players hop on the treadmill (whatever the means to acquire the new gear). When they hop off all players are at power level Y. Meanwhile mobs, usually in new content, are now at power level Y.

Before the treadmill all players are at the same relative power level to themselves and the environment. After the treadmill all players are at the same relative power level to themselves and the environment. There has been no actual “progress” in this exercise, you’ve simply gone on a treadmill ride. What exact need is this treadmill ride meeting? It can’t be for progression as you’ve made no actual progress. No one has gone anywhere; that’s why they call it a treadmill.

Anet knew that there were people that realized the emperor of treadmills has no clothes; that’s why they made such a big deal out of GW2 being different in that respect in the Manifesto.

As I stated above, you now have what you need. There is and will be vertical progression. Enjoy the ride.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

You appear to be suggesting you need vertical progression. Let’s take a look at what you need. Vertical progression “progresses” by periodically raising the power level of players, usually through stats on gear. So, before the new more powerful tier all players are at power level X. The new tier is introduced and all players hop on the treadmill (whatever the means to acquire the new gear). When they hop off all players are at power level Y. Meanwhile mobs, usually in new content, are now at power level Y.

Before the treadmill all players are at the same relative power level to themselves and the environment. After the treadmill all players are at the same relative power level to themselves and the environment. There has been no actual “progress” in this exercise, you’ve simply gone on a treadmill ride. What exact need is this treadmill ride meeting? It can’t be for progression as you’ve made no actual progress. No one has gone anywhere; that’s why they call it a treadmill.

Anet knew that there were people that realized the emperor of treadmills has no clothes; that’s why they made such a big deal out of GW2 being different in that respect in the Manifesto.

As I stated above, you now have what you need. There is and will be vertical progression. Enjoy the ride.

+1 to you sir. I could not have put it better myself. Down with the treadmill, long live new scenery!

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: xardrion.4607

xardrion.4607

Having a hard time understanding why gear treadmill is such a bad thing. yes the extent that WoW took it to an extreme level, where simply a new set would raise for an example your HP by 25 -33%.
But without numbers getting higher I and most of my friends playing GW2 wont be able to stick around for long ( yes i know its a drop in and out game = no sub).

And as mentioned, in other post, the amount of players left in the MMO market. that only care for “cosmetics” are getting fewer and fewer, due to the fact that they do not cover up the bigger part of the marketshare. Therefore they will have to make drastic changes if they want to keep the game alive.

Sidenote; I myself was totally convinced that looks would only matter in “endgame” for me, but now am having a hard time doing anyting, since i have no reason to do a dungeon more the once for the achivement, no reason to quest since the rewards more or less bad, and the “whine” goes on.

xardrion.4607 uses Flameshield against “traditional-mmo hate bandwagoners”……..
Its super effective!

(edited by xardrion.4607)

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

Vertical progression sucks and was the main reason I bought gw2. So tired of running the same kittenty instance for gear only to have to run a different kittenty instance a few months later for a few more stats.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

You have a never ending treadmill call infusions. They will continue to get stronger and stronger and force you to buy new shinies every few months.
You will be able to only get these in dungeons and no where else. You will have that advantage and the statistical advantage that ascend gear gives you over exotic.
Dont worry your eXeen will be in tact and you can strut all you want.

Yes these will never end.
Also did I mention Legendaries. Well if you acquire one they will be future and grind proof as Anet has stated they will always be BIS in perpetuity no matter what even through expansion. (agony included in this as well)

Moore eXeen for you to strut with.
There will be a new tier after ascend too! I expect this to be released before the expansion in the summer months to bring people back to the game.
Recap for people.
VP is not bad at all – Most of the community wasnt expecting it is all.
GW2 takes the best of GW1 and throws it under the bus and driver (mike) gets out and wizzes on it. (calling it a stagnant pile)
I think that is why there is a whole lot of animosity in the forums about this people generally feel betrayed buy it.
So dont take the hostility personal it just poeple.
Personally, I dont like it at all – not why I wanted to play the game but I have a good guild and a couple of friends left that still play.
Hope that gives you something to play for and a little speculation on my part.

(edited by Narkosys.5173)

Posted by: Roargathor.2743

Roargathor.2743

Having a hard time understanding why gear treadmill is such a bad thing. yes the extent that WoW took it to an extreme level, where simply a new set would raise for an example your HP by 25 -33%.
But without numbers getting higher I and most of my friends playing GW2 wont be able to stick around for long ( yes i know its a drop in and out game = no sub).

And as mentioned, in other post, the amount of players left in the MMO market. that only care for “cosmetics” are getting fewer and fewer, due to the fact that they do not cover up the bigger part of the marketshare. Therefore they will have to make drastic changes if they want to keep the game alive.

Sidenote; I myself was totally convinced that looks would only matter in “endgame” for me, but now am having a hard time doing anyting, since i have no reason to do a dungeon more the once for the achivement, no reason to quest since the rewards more or less bad, and the “whine” goes on.

xardrion.4607 uses Flameshield against “traditional-mmo hate bandwagoners”……..
Its super effective!

Most of the people who came to GW2 did so because of the “innovations” it advertised. No gear treadmill was a big selling point. WvW was another HUGE one, but since it’s currently broken, and the addition of Ascended gear, it’s no wonder the player base is shrinking. from a PvP perspective, Item centric progression is a terrible thing and should be eliminated from all modes of PvP in MMOs from here on out.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I’m not a fan of vertical progression in the treadmill sense but I really do wish dungeons would reward (in boss chest) a minimum of rare/exotic gear with non-craftable stats like Rabid or Magi’s. I like how Rift gave an option of gear drops and the option to buy with tokens. I dislike token systems, they don’t feel like a reward like what you get from opening a chest after defeating a boss.