Is there a way to increase fps in gw2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dayan.7493

Dayan.7493

Hi. My rig is fx 6300 oc to 4.5 ghz and rx 480 with 8 gb of memory running on crucial bx 100 at 2560×1080 resolution
The problem is cpu,it is not the strongest but a lot better than minimum req. The problem is not being able to reach 60 fps,I’ve tried a lot of things to make it run smoother but I havent got best solution. On open areas it is not the problem,but for example at lion arch my av fps from 45 to 60 drops to 24-32 fps. I know that the best solution is cpu change but it cant be done for know,any tweaks would’ve been aprecciated.
For comparison cpu rocks witcher 3 maxed out on 60 fps (except novigrad),forza horizon (with a few drops) and other demanding titles.I know this is mmo but I dont understand why with an old technology that game has it runs bad
PS.This post cant be messy,I am not native english speaker so forgive me any mistakes.Thank you

Attachments:

Posted by: TSCavalier.8053

TSCavalier.8053

I have the same CPU and a R9 380. Your performance is pretty normal for me. The unfortunate reality is that GW2 is simply very CPU intensive and the AMD CPUs aren’t the fastest single-thread speed CPUs out there.

Other games are more GPU intensive, and often are built with heavier multi-threading in mind (like Witcher 3). Also keep in mind that Witcher 3 doesn’t have to negotiate the management of all the network traffic that comes with an MMO.

AMD is very good for heavily multi-threaded apps/games/servers/etc.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

So wich CPUs are reccomended for GW2 specifically?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Sikil.9817

Sikil.9817

The highest clocked Intel you can get, I’d say.

Do mess with the graphics settings by the way, some of them can make a large difference. Try turning down the character model count and the shadow settings. (Dropping shadow quality got me something like +50% fps; but my PC’s spec is very different to yours.)

Posted by: Alchymista.8192

Alchymista.8192

Lions Arch is not made for performance, please test other maps
what i know people with i5 or even i7, the FPS is same as yours, so no worries

Seafarer Never Rest

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Pure CPU clock speed is one thing. And shadows are definitely another. Strangely, for me, supersampling increased my FPS but I turned off due to stability issues. Also, this is a question best suited to the tech forums

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Zafira.7560

Zafira.7560

Get a free program called NZXT CAM. It will show you where your bottleneck is. It shows % usage on CPU, GPU, and memory. If you create the free account, you can watch your computer’s performance on your smartphone while you play. My computer showed no higher than 26% CPU usage and 100% GPU usage. I upgraded my GPU to a 1080 and my fps skyrocketed, averaging 90, and my GPU usage dropped to 45%. There are still times where my fps drops to 25 when there are lots of other people on the map, but that seems to be a game issue, and not my computer. CPU & GPU % usage is still low.

Bill from Moran
MSI X99A SLI Plus / Intel 87-5820K / 2 GB DDR$ Ram
2 x NVIDIA GTX 690 in quad SLI / 3 x BenQ 27" Monitors

Posted by: stephanie wise.7841

stephanie wise.7841

Hi. My rig is fx 6300 oc to 4.5 ghz and rx 480 with 8 gb of memory running on crucial bx 100 at 2560×1080 resolution
The problem is cpu,it is not the strongest but a lot better than minimum req. The problem is not being able to reach 60 fps,I’ve tried a lot of things to make it run smoother but I havent got best solution. On open areas it is not the problem,but for example at lion arch my av fps from 45 to 60 drops to 24-32 fps. I know that the best solution is cpu change but it cant be done for know,any tweaks would’ve been aprecciated.
For comparison cpu rocks witcher 3 maxed out on 60 fps (except novigrad),forza horizon (with a few drops) and other demanding titles.I know this is mmo but I dont understand why with an old technology that game has it runs bad
PS.This post cant be messy,I am not native english speaker so forgive me any mistakes.Thank you

the answer is you can always get a better cpu it can help but the problem is not there. the real problem is that this games use dx9 and the dx9 api driver correct 95% of the code for address and memory location. when there is to much graphic on the map there is to much to fix and the cpu becomes bound to correct the code for graphic by the dx9 api driver that use the cpu, even if the cpu is faster the more you send through it the more correction it needs to make so you just delay the inevitable slow down. dx12 solve this issue by removing some layer from the dev so they can code better and use a dx12 api driver that correct only 5%. that means that the dev if they switch this game to dx12 it is at 95% on them if they make it work or if it fails. meaning very good coding many testing to not have any bug before release or update and dx 12 is pretty new so not many are able to code for dx12 or have lots of experience. dev for console are similar to dx12 dev on pc. since dev for console code more close to the hardware less layer between them and the hardware just like dx12 compare to previous version of dx that have more layer hidden from the dev.

don’t blame the dev this game came on dx9 and they code like they are suppose to on dx9 with the api driver correcting the issue at 95%. if they are able to move toward dx11 coding they could after switch to dx 12 but this could take a wild.

also what could help is faster hard drive since your pc always run at the speed of the lowest speed component and usely it is the hard drive. but like I said before the faster it go through the cpu the faster it is going to jam so it will only delay the inevitable. so people with slower system will start to jam just a little before you also jam when there is to much graphic on the map.

(edited by stephanie wise.7841)

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Try changing Character Model Limit to Lowest, this will hide everyone except your party members and make your computer only render the scenery. The slowdowns are mainly because characters have thousands of polygons and the Level Of Detail (LoD) system that is supposed to reduce their polygons as they move away from you doesn’t seem to work very well, and is often buggy.

(But turn on player names so you can actually know if people are there.)

NPCs will still slow it down though, so cities are sluggish regardless of what you do, and there doesn’t seem to be any way to hide them. :/

Also, make sure that you have “Effect LoD” turned on, as this will hide alot of the effects from players although from what I have seen it doesn’t hide nearly enough, you still see hundreds of skills being cast in big battles. Unfortunately culling other players via Character Model Limit does not seem to hide their skill effects, so you will still have to deal with eye-bleeding, FPS-eating lightshows.

The big difference between an MMO and a game like an FPS that can run at 60+ FPS at ultra settings is the MMO has too many characters, its very different from a game where you are just animating and rendering only a few enemies.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)