Is this Guild Wars or Elder Dragon Wars...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jrf.8729

jrf.8729

Just wondering if this is Guild Wars or Elder Dragon Wars? Because I don’t see a lot of GvG going on. WvW isn’t looking too good either. Obviously, they are putting more effort into PvE, which is okay. But the name of this game is “Guild Wars” not PvE wars.

How about focusing on what the game actually should be?

Rant over, have a nice day.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Read the lore.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Oh no, not this again.

I never even joined a guild in Guild Wars 1, and I had a great time. Remember that the game is a lot of different things to different people.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Guild Wars 2 has never been about guilds.

Never.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Read the lore.

This.

To make it even easier, go here: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

But the name of this game is “Guild Wars” not PvE wars.

The OP might be interested to learn that:

• “To Kill a Mockingbird” isn’t an instruction manual about ending the lives of flying animals of any sort.
  • “Grape Nuts” has never included any ‘grapes’ or ‘nuts’.
  • “Greenland” is icier than “Iceland”
  • All that is gold does not glitter.

i.e. don’t judge a book by the name on its cover.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the name of the game is misleading tho.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

Read the lore.

you don’t attract new players expecting guild vs guild pvp by denying it to them with the ‘but it’s the lore’ excuse.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Read the lore.

you don’t attract new players expecting guild vs guild pvp by denying it to them with the ‘but it’s the lore’ excuse.

I wasn’t the one to name the game either. Read the lore is the correct answer to the question of why it’s named the way it is.

ANet may give it to you.

Lightsbane.9012

Read the lore.

I wasn’t the one to name the game either. Read the lore is the correct answer to the question of why it’s named the way it is.

i’m aware of why it’s named guild wars, however a new player buying the game assuming there will be guild wars isn’t wrong to assume there will be. why is it the new players responsibility to seek out the lore?

Redenaz.8631

I dislike the “it’s explained in the lore” response, because it’s totally unnecessary in my eyes. It’s like asking why we never see the character put Pokémon in their pockets, or why Starcraft does not, to my knowledge, have you constructing stars. It’s silly.

Read the lore.

…Did anyone seriously purchase this game because they saw the title and assumed it meant guilds would fight other guilds in a GvG PvP mode?

Because if you did, c’mon, do a little more research next time. There are guilds and there are wars, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the game is focused one gameplay mode by that name.

Lightsbane.9012

I dislike the “it’s explained in the lore” response, because it’s totally unnecessary in my eyes. It’s like asking why we never see the character put Pokémon in their pockets, or why Starcraft does not, to my knowledge, have you constructing stars. It’s silly.

Read the lore.

…Did anyone seriously purchase this game because they saw the title and assumed it meant guilds would fight other guilds in a GvG PvP mode?

Because if you did, c’mon, do a little more research next time. There are guilds and there are wars, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the game is focused one gameplay mode by that name.

i would assume that might have been a serious part of it? kind of like making a game called the elder scrolls and having it be about pizza.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I would definitely put the responsibility on the new player to do enough research to ascertain whether or not a game has GvG regardless of its name if that’s a major thing for them.

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Cause, y’know sPvP isn’t GvG. There aren’t 16 guilds competing for their share of $400k or anything.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

however a new player buying the game assuming there will be guild wars isn’t wrong to assume there will be.

Except…that they are wrong by assuming that.

why is it the new players responsibility to seek out the lore?

Because it’s the consumer’s responsibility to research the product they are buying, not the producer’s responsibility to do anything more than provide what they said they would, within the local rules and laws.

Unless you want to suggest that that consumers shouldn’t be expected to realize that the Ford Mustang isn’t a horse (nor powered by one, despite its “horsepower” rating).

And even if you believe that, don’t you think that after 10 years of the franchise, that it’s up to new players to take a look at the description on Amazon or Best Buy, Wikipedia, the GW1 or GW2 wikis, or the official website, none of which imply in any way that Guild Wars is a GvG game.

tl;dr yes, a new player buying the game shouldn’t assume it’s primarily about GvG.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Read the lore.

i would assume that might have been a serious part of it? kind of like making a game called the elder scrolls and having it be about pizza.

I bought Elder Scroll and looked everywhere for old scrolls in the game. they shouldn’t have sold me a game called Elder Scrolls and not have Scrolls as the main endgame feature in the game.

ANet may give it to you.

Redenaz.8631

There’s no pizza in Elder Scrolls, to my knowledge, but there are guilds and warfare in Guild Wars 2.

To me, it’s more like complaining you don’t colonize the moon in Harvest Moon. I can see where you might get that, just from the title, but it’s not so specifically misleading that you’re excused from figuring out what you’re buying.

It’s like complaining that Sauron is barely in Lord of the Rings. It’s true, but the title isn’t trying to summarize the core of the product.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Maybe it’s a different interpretation of the title…

Guild Wars 2: → Guilds going to war.
With each other
With the quaggan race
With the Black Lion trade agency
With the ELDER DRAGONS.
Any of the following options would be viable interpretations of the title.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Read the lore.

Funny you should mention The Elder Scrolls, because it’s more like buying a game titled “Arena” and finding out it’s actually an open-world RPG. And you’d think it would actually involve scrolls that are old to feature prominently in the lore and world

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I would definitely put the responsibility on the new player to do enough research to ascertain whether or not a game has GvG regardless of its name if that’s a major thing for them.

no doubt thats true, but, the title is still misleading to anyone who hasnt done the research. there are plenty in that boat. besides, i think the argument here is that there shouldnt be any need to do “research” to dispel any sense of misinformation.

Cause, y’know sPvP isn’t GvG. There aren’t 16 guilds competing for their share of $400k or anything.

pvp in this game comes no where close to gvg in gw1 or gw2. simply putting 5 people in a guild and having them compete does not validate their gvg status.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Illconceived Was Na.9781

How? It’s only “misleading” if you’ve assumed that the title means something about the style of play, rather than about the story.

Again: “To Kill a Mockingbird” isn’t a manual on dispatching mimidae with extreme prejudice. (It’s also not the long-awaited sequel to “The Hunger Games,” changed from ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ at the recommendation of the author’s law firm.)

Posted by: Artemid.3925

Artemid.3925

So, they ditch the name of the massively successful series when making the sequel? That would be a completely boneheaded move.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Guilds go to fight the elder dragons. It’s a war and guilds are part of it. Destiny’s Edge was a guild formed to fight the Elder Dragons. Guild Wars doesn’t have mean mean wars with other guilds.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

maybe the elder dragons have formed a guild??? checmkate

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

its PvE wars

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

Posted by: MaJoBooOM.4851

MaJoBooOM.4851

Read the lore.

Well…the truth is.. 3 years ago I came looking from Lineage 2 ( also created by ncsoft) as I was searching for a new mmo i cam across Guild Wars 2 , watched some videos on youtube (wvw) was reading the site and I was sure that there would be real Guild Wars , that I would find a guild and we would together against othrr guilds..but the harsh truth was – after playing the game for 2 months and getting to 80 I discovered that there are no guild wars in Guild wars 2 . There is wvw , but thats not the same.. just imagine how awesome it would be to fight with your guild against other guilds..eh…

Riverside. Marcus Yami [Gold]

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

The “Guild Wars” refers to a series of conflicts between already named human factions. They are not, nor have they ever been a reference to your guild in-game.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

When I was a new player to Guild Wars 1, I never anticipated at all that it was a GvG game. I just wanted a game where I can slash stuff with a sword in my spare time after work.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

They used the same name from the original Guild Wars game. In GW2 guilds mean nothing and GvG does not exists (WvW doesn’t count).

It’s easier to build on the original lore, environment, races etc instead of a brand new lore, world etc.

RP enthusiast