Is this a trap email?

Is this a trap email?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sabriel.3086

Sabriel.3086

Guild Wars 2 Account Will Be Shut Down Inform

We are sorry to inform you that your login account XXXXX@XXXXXXX.com will be shut down or partially limited within 72 hours due to currency transactions or abnormal login. If you want to remove restrictions, please click the following link to validate:
—baleeted—
Please keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is a global game with hundreds of thousands of players. This means that standards of behavior must be upheld. For your convenience, you can obtain more information about our rules at the address listed below.

—baleeted—
Guild Wars 2 Account Support Team

Hey guys, is this a phising email? not really sure if they would send something out like this for RMT, but I have been away for a while.

And I haven’t even really played in the past 4 or 5 months, so I’m not sure what would even trigger this. I have 2 step authentication on and everything. :/

(edited by Sabriel.3086)

Is this a trap email?

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

Links look real, but remove them anyways from the OP in case it is a phishing scheme

(edited by Vanive.3804)

Is this a trap email?

Posted by: Chaialyna.1023

Chaialyna.1023

That looks very much like the phishing emails that have come out before. Do not click on any of the links in the email. You may want to look at this article elsewhere in the forum: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Common-Phishing-E-mails/first

Alts-R-Us ~ All professions at 80 ~ Still leveling characters.
Main? What “main”? I play all of them sooner or later.

Is this a trap email?

Posted by: Sabriel.3086

Sabriel.3086

Yeah the first link, on closer inspection, contains a LOT of random numbers, letters and dashes after the rest of it, and ends in .tz.

Thanks.

Is this a trap email?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Always right click the email and use the “view message source” or whatever the correct option is there to find the I.P address. Put that I.P address into a site such as:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

If it’s from china or any other country not where Anet are located (somewhere in the U.S) then it’s a very good chance it’s phishing.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Is this a trap email?

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

Also. ANet will never warn you ahead of time that they are shutting down your account. They would do it and then communicate with you after, if at all.

so if you get an email telling you your account is going to be suspended or limited, it’s a fake.

Is this a trap email?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s 100% phishing nothing legit about it.

Because if Anet was contacting you, they’d use your name. And they wouldn’t warn you first and give you a chance to log in and steal everything in the guild bank. lol

Is this a trap email?

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Wait a minute! You guys mean emails like this are only trying to steal our info? So my non-existent WoW account isn’t at risk of being terminated for violating the rules?

That’s a relief.

Joking aside, I’ve never received such emails for GW but I have for WoW when I never once had a WoW account. So as others have said, they are trying to steal your info and/or put malicious stuff on your computer like a keylogger.

I think Gail Grey said on the GW1 support forums at least once that a temporary, or permanent, account suspension is their warning when you violate the rules, and they would only do that after careful consideration and an investigation into the matter.

There’s something charming about rangers.

(edited by Charrbeque.8729)