Is this considered a macro?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

First off, I would like to point out that until Guild Wars 2, I’ve never really gotten involved with high level play in an MMO, so I will admit that I don’t fully understand the definition of a macro. I just know that they are not allowed in Guild Wars 2.

With that out of the way

I’ve been enjoying playing Guild Wars 2 with the Steam Controller since last December, it can be really comfortable once you get a button configuration that works for you. While I made a configuration that works great for me, there is one thing bothering me about it.

You see, the Steam Controller has a special function with it’s trigger buttons, you can have a soft pull and a hard pull do two different things. So I made the soft pull my weapon skill 1 and a hard pull my weapon skill 2. I am just wondering if this is technically a macro and if I am breaking the rules.

Further more, during the PoF beta, we get a new hotkey, which means another thing I should assign to the controller. Normally I have the esc menu assigned to the start button, and for the demo, I set the start button to mount if I hold it down for a few seconds. I’m wondering if that is also considered a macro.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s one action performing one action in the game so I don’t see why it’d be an issue.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Those are indeed macros, but of the acceptable sort. As long as one action on the controller leads to one action in the game, you’re fine. The problem arises when you assign multiple in-game steps to the same controller key or combo.

So ‘soft pull’ = weapon swap and ‘hard pull’ = weapon stow would be fine. But soft = weapon swap + cast utility + cast weapon skill… that would not.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Marshall Sed.8643

Marshall Sed.8643

Sorry but they are not macros. They are bindings….bind (Button1) to use skill1.

A macro is Button1 does 2 or more actions.

Apologies for being so pedantic but this matter really bugs me….the same way that electricians hate the word “bulb” when it comes to lighting.

Sorry…that was me….. :(

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Apologies for being so pedantic but this matter really bugs me….the same way that electricians hate the word “bulb” when it comes to lighting.

Something that performs just a single action can still be considered a macro. The means by how you perform the action is what makes it a macro rather than the number of programmed actions in the sequence.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

macro; n; . COMPUTING; a single instruction that expands automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task.

By that definition, macros are against the rules.

I’m unsure about the use of the Steam Controller and how it relates to the ANet rule about one control, one action. Does the Steam Controller require the trigger to reset to a neutral position between the soft and hard pulls. If so, then I would not see a problem.

If it works like a double-barrel shotgun with offset triggers where a trigger pull can fire one barrel, or both, that might be a different story. So, must the OP pull the trigger (or push the trigger button) twice using different intensity, or can he pull/push once (start soft, then hard) to perform both actions?

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I agree – assigning a single action to a single key = key binding. And that is not a macro by any definition.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

Macros are allowed, As long as 1 button press = 1 action. If one button press = two keys or more than 1 action, then it’s not allowed!

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

Oh I miss the WOW days of 1 button doing 3 skills…..lol