Is this game still worth a shot?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Hey guys
So I left the game a while ago, for a couple of months. Now I’m thinking of coming back but I’m with a quite difficult dilema.

I’m asking this because, while I think is one of the best MMORPG’s out there for now, I feel a bit bored while playing it nowadays. I don’t like WvW too much beside roaming, but as a solo player, roaming is kinda of a pain. PvE is enjoyable but only the dgns. I ate the Silverwastes, is just a zerg fest where with my computer I don’t even understand what is going on. I’m left with PvP wich is what I enjoy the most but even that can be frustating a lot of times.

What have you guys done before after coming back to keep the game interesting for you?

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Lots of new stuff happening in the patch on Tuesday that will really change a lot of the game. Lion’s Arch, for one is going to be more repaired……that alone would be worth logging in for, even if it was just for a few minutes. Plus there is a new expansion coming down the pipe in a few months.

Great time to start playing again, imo.

And if you still don’t like it, it is not like you don’t already have the game and can’t return at some other point, if you want. Although I would login everyday just for a couple minutes to get the login chests.

When I come back from a break, I will usually concentrate on something I haven’t done a lot of, like map completion, or crafting more, or completing more of the living story,….or playing a character I haven’t played in awhile….trying some new specs….etc.

Best of luck!

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It doesn’t cost anything to start playing again. Why not just log in and have a look around to see if there are things you still enjoy doing or might find enjoyable?

The Burninator

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Depends on who you ask.

Fans of the game will tell you yes.
Jaded gamers will tell you no.

In the end, the only person that can truly answer that is you.
If you own the game, I’d suggest just jumping and playing it again.

As for what I have been doing to keep the game interesting for me?
Regular and Daily Achievements. Map Exploration and personal story with alt characters. Unlocking armor skins. Jumping puzzles. Occasionally hitting up Silverwastes for loot…
I dunno. I can usually find something to do to keep me playing and engaged.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

Thanks for the feedback so far
I was thinking of maybe changing my class

Before I left Idk why I pretty much cleaned the account only leaving one character, my Warrior. My Warrior has everything, set for PvE and WvW, PvP is still enjoyable, but my favourite spec is still GS/LBow

I was thinking of making a new Ele, I have one already, it was my first 80 and it’s asura, but I was thinking of making an human instead. At the end I think it’s my favourite race still, and it is the one that looks better in most armor choices :/

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe warrior was too simple for you. Why not remake the ele and try that profession again?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I ate the Silverwastes, is just a zerg fest where with my computer I don’t even understand what is going on.

The Silverwastes is the direction ArenaNet is going for. It has been hinted that the icoming expansion, HoT, will basically be a repeat of (a few) Silverwastes-like maps.

We also expect balance to become a mess, given the massive changes to traits that will come next week. Considering how slow ArenaNet is to make balance fixes, expect an upheaval that will take a long, LONG time to be anything even close to balanced.

It’s probably not a good idea to come back right now.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

absolutely…its still the best combat in any mmo….and as such, the traits/skills are being completely revamped for the base game…expac not needed.

wait until the expac is on sale.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Honestly what brings me back after each break is the core combat system. The game is quire pretty as well.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I love me some Guild Wars 2. But I wouldn’t recommend the game to new players right now. Everything is very stagnant while they work on the expansion. And given that recent developement, I strongly recommend a wait and see policy.

But that’s just my humble opinion.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

Hey guys
So I left the game a while ago, for a couple of months. Now I’m thinking of coming back but I’m with a quite difficult dilema.

I’m asking this because, while I think is one of the best MMORPG’s out there for now, I feel a bit bored while playing it nowadays. I don’t like WvW too much beside roaming, but as a solo player, roaming is kinda of a pain. PvE is enjoyable but only the dgns. I ate the Silverwastes, is just a zerg fest where with my computer I don’t even understand what is going on. I’m left with PvP wich is what I enjoy the most but even that can be frustating a lot of times.

What have you guys done before after coming back to keep the game interesting for you?

I’ll say wait till the HoT debacle blows over before coming back. How ArenaNet responds to the HoT issue can make or break the game.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Since you own the game I would suggest you log in on Tuesday – massive trait revitalisation and definitely worth a look.

Posted by: Eaglebach.7593

Eaglebach.7593

Yes, you should log in Tuesday 6/23 and give the new features a try. Then you will soon get bored of them and go back to playing WoW or whatever MMO you are playing. GW2 is dying and the xpac won’t be able to save it.

Btw, they already have your money so you’re welcomed to come back anytime.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If you think Guild Wars 2 is dying you should check out Massively’s list of the top ten MMOs. Guild Wars 2 is #2. The criteria for selection is listed on the page. You can also check out the quarterly reports.

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

Hey guys

I stopped playing this game for a while and when I came back the first thing I did was find a new WvW guild. I tend to be a mostly solitary player but I find getting on TS with a small group of people and just rekt it in WvW is ridiculous amounts of fun and it sounds like it’s going to get better with HoT. In addition to this a lot of WvW players happen to also like PvP which means there is usually people on to PvP with which just makes the game that much more enjoyable.

TL;DR
1.) Find a WvW guild. (Even a large one will do)
2.) Make a few solid friends.
3.) WvW Havok and PvP with them.
4.) Profit. (Not literally. WvW has kitten monetary rewards. QQ)

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I think Tuesday would be an awesome time to start playing again. And trying out a new class would probably be a good thing for you as well. You absolutely do not have to wait for this HoT prepurchase thing to blow over unless you are one of those people complaining. Many of us are quite happy with our HoT prepurchases (and are veterans). You have the core game already, you might as well hop on and see the changes.

And don’t listen to any drama llamas saying the game is “dying.” That’s no where close to the truth.

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

It literally costs you nothing to log in and check for yourself.

DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

Having played GW1 from May 2005 all the way to GW2 beta and into the present (> 10 years), I can safely say that I am more veteran than most of you out there.

And yes, whether ArenaNet treats its customers fairly is important to me which is why I am waiting to hear their response to this HoT debacle before I buy xpacks for my son and for myself.

I am now satisfied with their response and decided to buy new xpacks for my son and I.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Vayne.8563

Many of us are quite happy with our HoT prepurchases (and are veterans).

Having played GW1 from May 2005 all the way to GW2 beta and into the present (> 10 years), I can safely say that I am more veteran than most of you out there.

And yes, whether ArenaNet treats its customers fairly is important to me which is why I am waiting to hear their response to this HoT debacle before I buy xpacks for my son and for myself.

I guess I’m having real trouble seeing what’s unfair. Every MMO I know has changed pricing structure at one point or another, often becoming much cheaper, or even free for newer players. How would you have felt playing SWToR, buying it for $60, paying a sub fee for a year and the new players get it for $20 and play for free? Or Lotro where you bought the game and paid a sub and then it was free without a sub. Or Aion. Or ESO. WoW you have to buy the base game and current expansion to get all the other expansions free.

It seems to me this this is almost a semantic argument. Anet is making one box, instead of offering two different products, because it simplifies matters for them. Otherwise, it would just be like making the base game free.

The reason they don’t want to do that is gold sellers. I’m just not seeing this huge injustice here. I see a game coming down in price. They were already selling it for $10.

Posted by: Castaliea.3156

Castaliea.3156

Many of us are quite happy with our HoT prepurchases (and are veterans).

I don’t want to derail this thread but I have been playing since GW1 launch and although Im still super kittened they gave current players the shaft while giving new players sweet dealz I still bought the X-pack because I knew I was going to still be playing the game anyways. That doesn’t stop me from voicing my anger or opinions on the forums though. For me the problem wasn’t the price…it was being made to feel like an irrelevant number on a projected spreadsheet. If I wanted to feel like that I would stay at work.

As I say every time this comes up…
It’d be nice if ANet thought of their current players as nice as they do prospective players.

Guild Leader
Sempai Said I Was A [QTpi]
Apply @ | http://sempaisaid.enjin.com |

(edited by Castaliea.3156)

DarkSpirit.7046

The reason they don’t want to do that is gold sellers. I’m just not seeing this huge injustice here. I see a game coming down in price. They were already selling it for $10.

If the current game costs $10 then they are effectively giving a $10 discount to new players but not to the veteran players.

There is also the other argument on whether the expansion itself is worth the $50.

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

I continually try to make legendaries with the meagre gold I make in WvW and PvP. Gives you a goal to reach for and is actually quite fun.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

If you’re just going to play the base game, sure why not. Give it a try and decide if you still like the current content. If you’re interested in getting HoT I would say no, since you have already purchased the core game. I like sPvP that is still pretty fun if you play casually.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

Depending on what server you are on you could try to join a WvW roaming guild. More fun with friends!

Although there’s a hefty debate going on now about the prepurchase, there’s still plenty of fun to be had, so don’t let that get you down!

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA

Vayne.8563

If the current game costs $10 then they are effectively giving a $10 discount to new players but not to the veteran players.

There is also the other argument on whether the expansion itself is worth the $50.

They WERE selling it for $10 and decided to reduce the price to $0. But they can’t give it for 0 dollars separately because of gold sellers.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

I would suggest something like working towards luminescent armour but unfortunately that requires a return to the Silverwastes. the level of challenge is not what I would call hardcore (my metric is that anything I can do is not hardcore) but it is not as simple as a lot of PvE. If you have the gold to convert to enough gems to but Ep. 5 of living story, assuming you don’t have it, then it might be worth trying out the first set of challenges.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’d say log on after the patch drops on Tuesday. Se what’s changed and see if it’s too your liking. I’d say that is the best way to tell, as the game will be changed a lot as of Tuesday. As for the xpac, I’d hold of till we know more about what’s in it before paying out more money. So far I don’t think its worth the asking price at the moment. But that may or may not change with time.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Just log in and try it for yourself op. Try every thing out pvp, wvw, and pve and see if any of them peek your interest. Also try different profs because depend on which prof you play can have a big impact on you gaming experience.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

Posted by: krixis.9538

krixis.9538

I would ignore a lot of the forum posts. a lot of them are full of silly stupid ppl whining over having to pay for an expansion. (this is common practice with a lot of mmos)

anyway as a GW2 vet I can say now is a VERY good time to play or start playing again.

trait revamp + overhaul to core game mechanics on Tuesday
guild system revamp + guild halls in expansion
certain classes have been fixed / buffed after years of neglect

and a lot more to come in the expansion.

again don’t pay attention to all the negative posts. most forums u will see more negative then positive because whining negative psots attract ALOT more attention then happy positive posts.

TL:DR

wait until Tuesday to decide if u want to come back to the game or play the game, as the new traits and core system will be added. and major game changes to conditions (Damage Over Time >DOT< ) system

Desolation EU
Fractal lvl 80 – 126 AR