Is this game worth getting into now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cadco.3794

Cadco.3794

I have owned GW2 for a while now but never really got into it, mostly for reasons unrelated to the game. I really want to play an mmo that is alive and still going places, and I have been looking at Wildstar but dont really want to put the money down for it. I would like to try and get into GW2 but I dont want to bother if I am entering while the game makes its exit, losing players and running to the end of developer support. If I am going to get into a game I want to know that it is going to have a community and dev support that lasts. Thank you!

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

the pve side of the game will always have large quantities of players and dev support.

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

the pve side of the game will always have large quantities of players and dev support.

At least the Living history, not sure about dungeons and that kind of stuff :P

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Competitive game modes are the same as 2 years ago. I heard some rumours about new game modes, maybe in early 2015 with the expansion.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Well you’ve certainly got nothing to lose giving it a shot. I would look for an active guild that fits your playstyle, first thing. That’ll help you feel like you’re connected with active players.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

Yes.

Guild Wars 2 has a lot to offer, especially considering what it costs, and the developers are still working hard on the game and most likely will for a long time.

ArenaNet released a feature pack not too long ago, which reminded a lot of people to go complain on the forums that it wasn’t a content pack. Then again, you’ll probably find that a lot of players on these forums complaining that more dungeons aren’t being outputted faster than they can play through them.

As of right now, we’re still kind of in post-patch adjustment & bug fixing time so there might be a few issues, but those are undoubtedly being worked on, and we’ll continue seeing changes in the weeks to come.

Either way, this game is definitely worth getting into. I know I’ve been having a ton of fun playing the game for two years now, and that’s what’s important. Besides, no other MMORPG I’ve heard of has ever come close to having as much diversity as Guild Wars 2 has to offer, or at least, not for free.

Cadco.3794

Thanks guys, this has been really encouraging! Ill be starting the game within the next couple of days.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I won’t lie, I’ll be curious about your thoughts on the leveling process. The forums have been ablaze with seething hatred because it changed several things that are considered annoyances now.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I been bored of GW2 many times,i felt that game lacks of content,proper 1vs1 PVP etc etc…but at the end…no matter how many other MMO’s i try i always get back to GW2.Gw2 is without doubt game with Biggest potential on a market even 2 years after launch.People can say how GW2 is bad,how has no content but….if Anet give us content,this game can be best game ever.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you’ve already got the game then there’s nothing to lose by trying it out to see what you think instead of relying on other people to tell you what you should think.

But in answer to your question the devs have talked about their plans for October and November (Halloween, then resuming season 2 of the living story) and there’s no reason to believe they’re not going to continue development after that.

Since none of us have a functional crystal ball we can’t say exactly how long they will continue to support the game, but I don’t think there’s any reason to think it will stop soon.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

Yes. It does without a doubt have a community and dev support.

Cadco.3794

The highest level character I have is a level 20, but I will be making a new character with the intention of playing all of the way through the content. I will come back here to give my thoughts on the early leveling since that really does seem to be a hot topic here. How much of the leveling has been affected? Is it the entire game or just early levels?

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

the game has thousands of play hours in it, so if you’re comfortable with the price then log in as much as you’d like.. don’t take it too seriously and maybe find a few friends who are willing to work on whatever you’re doing too and it’ll be great

i really recommend to not play this game the way it is ‘expected to be played’ because at that point it becomes a phenomenal trainwreck. . . if that makes any sense

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

No, unless you are a hardened game veteran who can withstand pain, dullness and the ignorance of the developers.
GW2 is currently a sinking ship and the devs obviously dont have any plans saving it.

Posted by: airstu.2579

airstu.2579

Best balanced game ever and best esport game ever.

Calisto – NSP BPTCBP
Dictator for Life
Shiverpeaks Search and Rescue [Lost]

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

I hope you’re being sarcastic.

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

I hope you’re being sarcastic.

The sarcasm is already dripping from this sentence.

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

I am still a bit cautious when it comes to gw2 future development, but im hoping for the best out of ANet dev team.

As for the game itself, if you are a true pve lover and explorer, you will love GW2. Its not perfect, but its kitten good.

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

I dont recommend gw2 anymore for people looking for a mmo to invest their time in. I think gw2 cant be called a mmo, this is just an online game. A mmo needs to have thousands hours of replayability, its a type of game where you invest years playing it, and gw2 simply doesnt have it, it lacks longevity, lacks content.

Players were already complaining when the game released that there wasnt much stuff to do at lvl 80, now 2 years later we are basically playing the exatly same content.

So, if gw2 will be a good “mmo” for you it depends of what type of player you are, if you are a casual player that only plays once a week then its a good game for you, but if you want to invest in a mmo you will probably get bored fast after hitting the lvl cap.

(edited by Casmurro.9046)

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Since April I stopped recommending this game to anyone. Unless you’d like a ‘press-a-button-to-win’ open world mindset, then by all means, enjoy it.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

(edited by Asmodeus.5782)

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

Ofc you should get into it. I mean,, this game has 0 grind,, you can instantly get all the items,, even legendaries. You absolutely dont have to grind. Have i mentioned that this game also has everything you love about gw1?

Posted by: Spiderbite.8049

Spiderbite.8049

Yes
-Because it has no cost after initial purchase.

(and only because of that)

“No, I don’t.”

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

Yes.

Guild Wars 2 has a lot to offer, especially considering what it costs, and the developers are still working hard on the game and most likely will for a long time.

ArenaNet released a feature pack not too long ago, which reminded a lot of people to go complain on the forums that it wasn’t a content pack. Then again, you’ll probably find that a lot of players on these forums complaining that more dungeons aren’t being outputted faster than they can play through them.

As of right now, we’re still kind of in post-patch adjustment & bug fixing time so there might be a few issues, but those are undoubtedly being worked on, and we’ll continue seeing changes in the weeks to come.

Either way, this game is definitely worth getting into. I know I’ve been having a ton of fun playing the game for two years now, and that’s what’s important. Besides, no other MMORPG I’ve heard of has ever come close to having as much diversity as Guild Wars 2 has to offer, or at least, not for free.

There is no dungeon team whatsoever, I think that’s a valid complaint considering.

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

As an MMO that you’re probably expecting – No.
As a one-time game story-line game, that you can put down and come back later – Yeah.
WvW might be fun for a month or two (maybe even more) before it gets stale…

Since it’s a one time fee, you will most likely get your money’s worth… though don’t really expect it to hold you for over a year.

(personal opinion)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Whether you like this game or not has less to do with the game itself and more to do with your expectations of the game. Some people here are angry because earlier videos of the game gave them expectations that haven’t met. Even in this thread people are quoting a four year old video and a couple of lines from it, and using that to dislike everything about the game. Because there is some grind for items you don’t actually need to play the game…but it’s still grind.

You can grind stuff out, or you can play casually. If you play casually and don’t worry about grind, it’ll take you much longer to get stuff. On the other hand, you don’t need the stuff to play the game. It’s not like many other games where you’re gated by gear that’s out of reach without grinding.

Many of us have put thousands of hours into the game and still have stuff to do, but the game needs an influx of new content to get us to the next stage.

Mostly the people who are complaining are disappointed because they saw a potential the game never reached. But every MMO that comes out, people say this game is going to die now that (ESO, Wildstar, Whatever) is out. It’s not even come close to happening yet.

Posted by: RiverSong.5067

RiverSong.5067

I’ll reply to your title: Is the game worth getting into now?

I enjoy it. I have a level 80 with maxed weaponsmithing and leatherworking. Currently working on another character, trying to develop what the game has to offer to the maximum.

That was me, now for you…

Do you have a history of dropping games a lot? If so why did you drop the other ones? Too hard? Too long to max level? Not enough endgame content? Any of those would put you in a class where you would go for the “best build”, doing the “best things”, just like everyone else. If that is the case, which it may or may not be, you wouold find that there is very little content that you will find relevant and you would burn through that very quickly.

That however would be true for any game. Play the game a little, try to develop your own way of playing it.

My webpage:
pages.videotron.ca/madfang4/