Is this the last tier or will there be more?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Q:

I’m just wondering, will there be stronger tiers than Ascended, or “new versions” of the same tier with more stats?

I ask because, after the effort I put in getting my exotics just to find out they are now outdated, I can’t find the willpower to put effort into this new tier unless I’m sure it’s never going to be outdated.

I know some of the playerbase likes this but I don’t like to farm PvE for gear, I’m too old to find any enjoyment in running on a hamster’s wheel or any time/willpower to do it.

Posted by: Varl.3269

Varl.3269

Your gear isn’t outdated? There’s like 2 rings with a minor stat boost and a back piece, mostly easy to obtain. I have 10 rings sitting in my bank right now. Do you need to run out and buy the latest greatest computer parts every time new ones are released? Same deal.

Also they’ve all but confirmed that this is the last tier of gear, but there will be level cap increases and better infusions in the future that will be better than what we have, so this probably isn’t the game for you if it bugs you that much.

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

New versions of the same tier with more stats.

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

They didn’t say one way or the other whether or not it’d be the last tier forever. Since we have to go by what they didn’t say instead of what they actually said, we have to assume they are interested in potentially adding a new tier later on (after all, they didn’t say they wouldn’t, explicitly).

They did say they will be introducing an Infusion treadmill though.

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

Better and better infusions will be grindable with an insane effort and the the levelcap will be raised – so, yes it will be outdated.

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

play the game.

dont worry.

when you feel pissed, move on.

we are in 2012 and the mmo genre has been liberated by gw2.

youll see a lot of mmos coming out in the next few years!
play a few, for 300h each ?
have fun and realise how all the great mmo experience are much better than your wow raids and your tough life.

Posted by: Varl.3269

Varl.3269

I think people are just scarred by WoW and WoW-type games. They were all about vertical progression, gear treadmill, more vertical progression. The idea of getting stronger over time has been around much longer than they have, in games that were much more than raiding for epics.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

its allright. just stop playing or do pvp/wvwvw…

do you unlock “every” achievements in all the game you play???

an mmo is still just a game.
a huge one.
but not meant to be eternal….

next big thing will come and its better like that.
you get to experience all kind of new content instead of grinding the same thing over and over.
so why hurt yourself ?

Posted by: Asumita.2174

Asumita.2174

So you basically grind for better looks, but not how effectively you kill/survive. There will be gear improvement. It has to for the game to survive in the long run. Same with the level cap increase. It will happen. mark my words.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

It’s just that I never liked WoW or those games where you finish getting your gear and it becomes obsolete so you start another tier etc etc.
I played GW1 8 years because I hated gear treadmills.

I just need to know if we’ll be getting treadmills continuously or there is a final tier I can safely get without worrying – obviously they cannot want us to make a full legendary set, that would require years to complete.

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

They said there are no plans in the upcoming future for any more gear tiers. So if we’re looking at the future, it’ll be the late late future.

Also shots for every time someone uses the word gear treadmill without actually understanding the meaning behind it.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

well expansions will raise level cap, so all current gear will become obsolete either way

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: VeralFixen.3142

VeralFixen.3142

as someone already mentioned earlier, gear-wise, there might not be another tier. but the infusions most likely will have another tier or at least that was their original plan. now after the much hated response from players, not sure what the designer is thinking

some of those who defend ascended gear might turn around and rage on anet when the day comes
those who already ‘noticed’ this will simply say “i told you so”

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

What they actually said about this:

Ascended gear will be slowly rolled out through 2013.
Future vertical progression will be achieved through Infusions. (current quality is Fine, or blue)
Vertical progression is important, because without it the game becomes stagnant and not fun.
The power creep will remain on a “shallow curve”.
They may eventually implement a way for people to “catch up”, but they will not make design decisions based on people who take breaks from the game.

In short: this is not a one time correction, but instead the beginning of a very long (grindy), very shallow (only 10-20% on a piece vs. piece basis) stat inflation plan.

This information I am relaying to you was stated by Mike O’Brien in the most recent Reddit AMA.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

They said there are no plans in the upcoming future for any more gear tiers. So if we’re looking at the future, it’ll be the late late future.

Also shots for every time someone uses the word gear treadmill without actually understanding the meaning behind it.

The irony is delicious.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.